Raiders-49ers postgame wrap

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Saturday, August 28th, 2010 at 10:53 pm in Oakland Raiders.

News, notes, quotes and observations following the Raiders’ 28-24 loss to the 49ers Saturday night at the Coliseum:

– Here is how coach Tom Cable responded when asked if he expected Jason Campbell to be available for the season opener after being sidelined by a stinger following a sack by Travis LaBoy.

“Yeah, I do. At this point it does not seem to be a serious issue.”

A “stinger,” or “burner” is described as a “`nerve injury resulting from trauma to the neck and shoulder. Its primary symptom is burning pain radiating down one upper extremity.”

It can be a brief injury or something that can take weeks to heal.

Campbell admitted that as he was lying on the field he was a lot more concerned than when he addressed reporters following he game.

“It felt a lot worse at the time that it happened, but thank God … they don’t think it’s going to be really, really serious,” Campbell said. “But at the same time it’s something we’ve got to take care of before the season starts.”

In Campbell’s case, it’s a concern because stingers tend to be a recurring injury and it’s not the first time he’s had one.

“Yeah, I had one before. It felt a little bit more than a stinger at the time,’’ Campbell said. “Just trying to take (precautions). Trying to get up. At the same time, I couldn’t really feel a lot because it was down the back of my neck a little bit. We went to get it X-rayed to see what’s going on.

“Usually I recover pretty fast. Right now there’s no timetable. The thing is just to improve and continue to keep getting better. We don’t know the timetable or anything, but at the same time, I haven’t really missed any time before.” At the time of his injury, Campbell was 6 of 8 for 93 yards with a quarterback rating of 113.0, including a gorgeous game-opening eight-play, 81-yard drive.

“I thought I was doing great,’’ Campbell said. “I felt we were doing what we needed to do. Took the first drive down there and scored. Penalties hurt us after that.’’

–Bush fractured his left thumb on his seventh and final carry. He gained 23 yards and scored a touchdown on a 1-yard run.

“A safety came down, instead of getting my legs he got my hand and the ball,’’ Bush said. “That’s part of the game.’’

Bush said he wouldn’t know his status until he talked the medical staff Sunday, but it wasn’t an encouraging sight to see Michael Bennett tying his shoes in the locker room. He said he’s never played with a broken bone his hand before but noted optimistically, “It’s just the hand, hopefully I’ll be back, I mean, a hand to a leg is totally different. I broke my leg and I bounced back from that and I’ll do the same with my hand.’’

– -If Kyle Boller had drawn even in the race to be Campbell’s backup, Bruce Gradkowski hit the third-quarter turn on a dead sprint to pull back ahead.

Gradkowski completed 14 of 22 passes for 202 yards, touchdowns passes of74 yards to Louis Murphy and 27 yards to Zach Miller, no interceptions, and a 123.7 quarterback rating.

The first touchdown came in the final two minutes of the first half to put the Raiders within 17-14, and then he opened the second half with a 72-yard, nine-play drive which culminated in the throw to Miller.

If that wasn’t enough, Gradkowski had a deep heave drop through the hands of Todd Watkins inside the 5-yard line on fourth-and-9 from the 40-yard line and 1:14 to play. Watkins attempted to take the pass in over his shoulder and couldn’t reel it in.

“I haven’t been out there so it was good to get the feel of the first team,’’ Gradkowski said. “It was good to play almost three quarters. It was really good to get back out there and get a feel.’’

For any of you who think Gradkowski is making a run at Campbell for the starting role, here was how Cable assessed his performance:

“Bruce Gradkowski was one of the bright spots in terms of going in there and having some efficiency and move the club around fairly well,’’ Cable said. “I think that’s what you want from your backup quarterback and he showed himself very well that way.’’

Backup quarterback.

– The 49ers rushed for 165 yards on 33 carries, with the first team defense getting gashed for big plays (Frank Gore’s 49-yard run) and the reserves getting hit for a lot of little ones.

“I didn’t think we tackled particularly well tonight,’’ Cable said. “We had plenty of guys where we needed them. I just did not think early we tackled very well at all.’’

– Here’s the positive spin:

“Would love to win the football game without any question but more than anything we learned a lot about ourselves tonight,’’ Cable said. “We have a chance to have a very good football team but we have to do it our way.

“We have to do it all out all the time and I think there’s too many ups and downs in this football game for us to be who we need to be to succeed. A lot to learn from it, and that’s a good thing. I’m glad it happened now as opposed to a few weeks from now.’’

It’s worth noting Richard Seymour was rested because of his triceps injury.

– The early review on rookie center Jared Veldheer, starting in place of Samson Satele:

“I think you have to look at the film for that. I can remember one, there was a run through by a linebacker, (Patrick) Willis, one time that was on him but overall I think he directed the protections well,’’ Cable said. “He really didn’t show up as the game went on so that’s a good sign. But we’ll have to look at the film.

Cable, of course, wanted to see more film.

– Raiders quarterbacks were 20 of 30 for 295 yards and that included four or five dropped passes of varying degrees of difficulty.

– No return specialists stepped forward to do anything of note. The longest punt return was 11 yards by Johnnie Lee Higgins on a kick that he fielded at the 4-yard line rather than let bounce in the end zone.

Phillip Adams wasn’t even listed on the flip card as a specialist for the 49ers, but had an 83-yard punt return for a touchdown in which he wasn’t touched.

Ken Jurovich of the 49ers had a 48-yard kickoff return one play after Sebastian Janikowski’s touchback was nullified because Higgins was offsides.

– Linebacker Rolando McClain led the Raiders with eight tackles and made a few plays but was victimized on a few others.

–The Raiders played it fairly straight defensively, which everyone expected they would, given their regular-season game against the 49ers in October.

– Attendance was announced at 42,248, which of course represents tickets sold and in no way reflected the actual amount of fans in the park.

– Thanks to everyone who participated in tonight’s live chat.

• JB

Regarding our O-line play: The Raiders haven’t had a decent O-line since we installed the ZBS. Every successful Raider O-Line has been a power blocking type line. Am I the only one to see that A minus B equals C? Trash this ZBS – we can’t continually win with it. Last nights loss really exposed the O-Line. We knew the problem was there and now it’s official. Veldheer needs to start at center. He’s that much better than Satele. He’ll learn his calls – he’s a quick learner. Henderson is a stopgap OLT. We need to quickly develop BCampbell to replace him. Quite possibly, Henderson will be OK at the ORT position. RG needs to be replaced. Move Walker there as he’s having problems with 1 on 1 protection when out in the open.

Regarding the running game:
    DMac is NOT an NFL caliber RB. The experiment needs to be over. We all suspected it and now we know for sure. Putting DMac in the backfield as a RB is a waste of a down. Move him to WR now and run him out of the slot. He’ll be able to contribute there. BUsh, Bennett & Cartwright should be the #!, 2 & 3 RB. Reece would seem to have solidified the starting FB position. Let’s keep an eye out for the NY Jets FB castoffs. There may be some gold there.

Regarding the defense:
    Where do we begin? They just didn’t play as well as they should have. Huff needs to learn how to tackle. That or replace him with MM34. We still need that BIG NT. That should be our first priority in next years draft. ROMC’s rookiness showed. He was out of position too many times. That will improve with more NFL playing time. Routt did a decent job at CB. The backup CB’s & Safeties also were OK for the most part. Our 3′s weren’t as good as theirs.

Regarding ST:
    We need better coaching there. Figurs is not the answer nor is Cartwright at KOR. Use Ford or NMiller and let’s move on. Same for PR. We need better return blocking schemes – need to open more lanes. Our kicking game is the best in the NFL……PERIOD. Good job by both Jano & Lechler – but that’s no surprise.

Regarding our receivers:
    We are set at TE – no problems there. DHB looked improved over last year so I’ll cut him some slack – at least for 1 more year. Murphy should be our #2 WR. He’s a player and will help us win some games. He does need to improve on his concentration as he should have not dropped at least two passes that I recall. Watkins is gone. Should have had that last second pass. That’s what the caches will remember. We need to see more Ford & NMiller. Figurs gets cut so he’s gone with Watkins. Move DMac to slot WR now. JLH made more than his share of dumb plays last night. I’m not sure he survives.

Regarding the coaching:
    I understand that last night was plain vanilla night so I won’t comment on the play calling. Rather, I comment on Cable generically. He’s now in charge of the time outs and he did ok there. Good call on Jano’s FG if in fact that was his idea. He needs to focus his efforts on two main things. First, he needs to convince AD the DMac is a liability in the backfield and get a green light to move him to WR. Second, he needs to scrap the ZBS and install a power blocking scheme that works. He’s suppose to be the O-Line guru so let’s see some magic.

Regarding the owner/GM:
    He needs to immediately find us a BIG NT for the defense and to make a deal for an ORT. I would have also said OLT but you are not going to find one of those, you have to draft and develop your own. AD also has to cross he bridge like he did with JaLoser and admit that DMac is not who he thought he was and to make the best out of what he can do right – receive passes. He also needs to make it clear to Tom Cable that this team will go back to power blocking now or at least as quickly as possible.

Summary:
    I seen this team look worse so it’s not all bad. We’ll meet the Niners in the season and I think the results will be different next time. Am I an optionmist? Probably, but we are going to win some games this year as soon as the problems I’ve mentioned are fixed.

Some obvious discards:
    They include Pears, Figurs, Heard, Morris, Rodd, Watkins, Tonga, Joseph, Gunheim, Eugene,Thomas & Norris. That will be a good start.

• TheyCallMeAssassin

AL DAVIS making the introduction speech, while standing on bionic legs.

—————

Hahaha, this reminds me of the end of that one Simpsons episode where Mr. Burns tracks down his bear Bobo a thousand years in the future. Anyone else remember that scene?

• http://www.nataliegulbis.com Richochet

# ArmChair GM Says:
    August 29th, 2010 at 12:48 pm

# Richochet Says:
    August 29th, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Selective memory.
    Go back and check the stats and score at the half..while you’re at it listen to what Papa and Flores were saying, which is that the Niners were beating up on the Raiders.
    After the first drive of the game, and up to the last minute or so of the first half, where Grad connected on the one deep ball, Raiders had a total of 7 yds….SEVEN…for a 22 or so minute span, most wouldn’t call that an awesome outing.
    ___________________________________________________
    Ok I’m going to attempt to have a rational football conversation with you. Please try and keep up.

The Raiders and Niners actually played the majority of their starters for 3 quarters, not just 2.

So in order to evaluate the overall play of the STARTERS, you can’t stop at halftime, you have to look at ALL of the time that the starters played, which extended into the 3 quarter.

I know you love the Niners and everything, and that in your opinion “Michael Crabtree was the Steal of The Draft” two seasons ago, but you have to evaluate a game correctly in order to have a valid opinion.
    ===================
    First off, you’re viewed by many as being “slow” and “clueless” for a reason.
    I’m just one on a long list that agree you do abuse the right to be pathetic.

Pay attention, peanut.

I’ll say it slowly…when Raider ANNOUNCERS state “The Niners are just beating up on the Raiders at this point”, even those vertically challenged, such as you, can figure out things aren’t good.

And what part of the Niners top three threats were on the bench CONFUSED YOU? I know..it’s a toss up, isn’t it?
    Gore played one series, peanut.
    Vernon Davis didn’t suit up, peanut.
    Crabtree (the steal of the draft, who everyone on the planet knows is light years above Bey, who STILL hasn’t learned how to catch a football) also didn’t suit up.
    You still confused, peanut?

BTW..why be a glutton for punishment?
    Why bring up Crab?
    Here, foolish child..tell me which receiver was THE BETTER CHOICE?
    Crab played 11 games
    First 11 games.

Bey 9 catches. 124 yds. 0 Td’s

Crab 48 catches 625 yds. 2 Td’s

Still haven’t said what your previous, obviously slapped down, handle was…
    You that embarrassed?

I can see why..now shut up before you hurt yourself anymore.

• tazZraider

BigLefty Says:
    August 29th, 2010 at 11:27 am
    Watched the game again

2nd team D-Line got absolutey worked. Every play! Really asked a lot of the 2nd team Backers and Safeties to cover and stop the run.
    ***************************************************
    where can you watch the game again?

• PurpleDrank81

I know its preseaon but im glad DHB caught some passes

• armond

another tscott fugg up tho it didnt cost us. remeber the 3rd and short play to moran norris that got stood up? adavis and bynam take on houston with rachal on kelly. kelly and houston hold up well leaving scott free to norris. norris hits a wall with his front facing the backfield. scott has a clear shot to pull him away from the los and even to strip the ball yet he is TACKLING rachal. wtf?? good thing we had a wall built or norris wouldve just had a unnecessary 1rst down made.

• http://raidersfans.net Just Win

The Whiners only mounted any offense the second Tommie Kelly went out and John Henderson came in. Kelly played VERY well in that game at NT. So much for what that guy who calls himself the bauce thinks.

• http://raidersfans.net Just Win

# tazZraider Says:
    August 29th, 2010 at 1:12 pm

BigLefty Says:
    August 29th, 2010 at 11:27 am
    Watched the game again

***************************************************
    where can you watch the game again?
    ========================================

if you are local they are reboadcasting the game on 36.

• RaiderRetribution

Since Mr. Routt has been playing so well, could Mr. Chris Johnson’s contract make him a cut casualty?

• RaiderRetribution

We need to keep Mr. Mitchell, Mr. Branch, Mr. Bowie, and Mr. McFadden at safety positions, also keep Mr. Huff until we can trade him. Huff is great at covering TEs, just lousy against the run.

CBs of course keep the one that QBs and Coaches fear the most, keep Routt, like Nnamdi just took a couple years to mold, keep C. Johnson as he is a great tackling CB, and definately keep Mr. McFadden.

• RaiderRetribution

Walter McFadden & Steveie Brown will not survive the waiver wire to place on our practice squad!

They must be on our 53-man roster!

• RaiderRetribution

They must be on our 53-man roster!

If I remember correctly, Raiders cannot franchise tag Mr. Asomugha, it was part of the cb’s [qb] contract.

• RaiderRetribution

That and they’ve earned it!

• http://Noknuckleheads! 909RaiderLifer

Perhaps one you semi-pro coaches who have already “broken tape” can help me out here..

There was a running play in the 1st. qtr. that D-Mac was tackled for a loss, I couldn’t make out whether it was a finger tip from a 9er, or a hash mark that brought him down…Thanks in advance..

• RaiderLen

909RaiderLifer Says:
    August 29th, 2010 at 1:50 pm

———————————————-
    Me thinks it was the leg of one Pooper (sp?) Carlisle.

• http://raidersfans.net Just Win

# 909RaiderLifer Says:
    August 29th, 2010 at 1:50 pm

================================================

Neither a Whiner finger, nor one of the has marks. He tripped on one of the offensive linemens lower legs. Look at the bright side: at least he didn’t fumble.

• http://www.nataliegulbis.com Richochet

# Just Win Says:
    August 29th, 2010 at 1:28 pm

=======================
    “guy who calls himself the bauce”??
    Wow.
    You fooled us, SeyOakDork…no…really..you did.

• ArmChair GM

# Richochet Says:
    August 29th, 2010 at 1:11 pm

___________________________________________________

I don’t abuse children or women so I’ll go easy on you.

You have danced all over the issue at hand and changed your story as usual because you have no rational argument. hell you don’t even have a football team that you root for, at least publicly.

Fact is, the true assessment of this game is hoe the STARTERS played.

Now get your little VCR out, and rewind it and add up how many quarters the STARTERS for both teams played. I know you only have a pre school education, so I’ll be patient.

Over the course of 3 quarters(which is the entire length of time that the starters from both teams played) the Raiders outplayed your little team of sissies.

Yes Craptree, Gore, and Davis sat out alot. But so did Seymour, Nnamdi, Chris Johnson, and Chaz Schilens.

You are a mental midget who cannot defend her points with logic, so you jump all around the issues.

Tell us how long the majority of starters played for both teams and what the score was at the point when the starters for both teams left the game.

It’s basic math but I know it will probably take the rest of the week for you to figure it out.

• RaiderRetribution

Whatever we do, do not sign Leinhart, should he get cut by the Cardinals.

• ArmChair GM

*how. But the other word I used is appropriate for Ricochet as well.

• big pep

HUFF SUCS HUFF SUCS HUFF SUCS HUFF SUCS HUFF SUCS HUFF SUCS HUFF SUCS HUFF SUCS HUFF SUCS HUFF SUCS HUFF SUCS HUFF SUCS HUFF SUCS.

• http://Noknuckleheads! 909RaiderLifer

Just Win…

Yes, amazing that he held on to the ball on that one..

My bad, I could have swore I saw it was one of those pesky hash marks that got him, seems to happen at least once a game for him…

• big pep

HUFF NEEDS TO GO BACK TO TEXAS AND ON THE WAY THERE DROP OFF J.L.H.IN HIS TOWN.

• http://raidersfans.net Just Win

# Richochet Says:
    August 29th, 2010 at 1:59 pm

# Just Win Says:
    August 29th, 2010 at 1:28 pm

=======================
    “guy who calls himself the bauce”??
    Wow.
    You fooled us, SeyOakDork…no…really..you did.
    ============================================

You call every other person in here the same name. You have lost it fool. Really lost it. No, you never had it to begin with.

• Thec07

big pep Says:
    August 29th, 2010 at 2:10 pm
    HUFF NEEDS TO GO BACK TO TEXAS AND ON THE WAY THERE DROP OFF J.L.H.IN HIS TOWN.

________

lol

• RaiderRetribution

realizing it’s wishful thinking, since Jets are looking for a linebacker and short a DB; Raiders should trade Mr. Howard and Mr. Huff for the rights to Darrel Revis. Al will sign him.

• Thec07

Big Pep, Question about your handle is Pep a nickname?

• RaiderRetribution

I’m one who has been very disappointed in drafting Huff in the firat round, but at least we didn’t draft hollywood wannabe, Leinhart.

• RaiderRetribution

Head Coach cable’s future will be known by game 3.

Raiders must be 2-1, we cannot lose to either St. Louis or Arizona unless we upset Tennessee.

• tazZraider

ArmChair GM Says:
    August 29th, 2010 at 2:00 pm
    # Richochet Says:
    August 29th, 2010 at 1:11 pm

___________________________________________________

I don’t abuse children or women so I’ll go easy on you.

Fact is, the true assessment of this game is hoe the STARTERS played.

*********************************************

amen to that!!

• RaiderRetribution

Raiders could be 2-2 or 3-1 going into week 5 playing San Diego at home.

As long as we beat the Chargers and we are at least 3-2 Raiders have a solid opportunity to win the AFC West.

• big pep

MY NAME IS JOSE BUT WE ARE ALSO CALLED (PEPE) SO PEP FOR SHORT.

• http://raidersfans.net Just Win

Where did you guys find that richochet idiot? In the dumpsters at Candlestick?

• Thec07

big pep Says:
    August 29th, 2010 at 2:29 pm
    MY NAME IS JOSE BUT WE ARE ALSO CALLED (PEPE) SO PEP FOR SHORT.

++++++++++++

Thanks for the update, and the laughs on the privious post…

• RaiderRetribution

Before bye-week [week 10], I see 4-5 must, should dominate victories: Rams (H), Cardinals (A), Broncos(A), Seahwks (H), Chiefs (H). [record 4-1/strong possibility of 5-0]

Most important game is versus the Chargers (H). [1-0]

Between Titans (A), Texans (H), and 49er’s (H [actually nontechnically speaking a home game]) are all winnable games. each of these opponents have weaknesses we could and should exploit. [1-2]

6-3 record is more than feasible going into our bye-week. I would much rather have beaten the Chargers than be 2-1 versus our toughest non-divisional opponents.

• JT

Heres a good one for you.

Trade McFadden & Heyward Bay to the Chargers for Vicent Jackson.

• RaiderRetribution

I see ten wins, since we have Colts (H) in week 16 [our 15th game], should the Colts be 13-1.12-2 and have their division won again, they could throw that game like they usually do, so even that game is winnable.

• RaiderRetribution

We need to keep DHB at least one more year.

For those that remember old school Raiders’ football, it took Mr. Branch, (yes that one) a couple years to develop into a pro-bowl wide receiver.

• big pep

IVE BEEN TO THE TOWN J.L.H. COMES FROM, I JUST DONT SEE WHY HE DONT WORK HARDER TO STAY AWAY FROM THERE, I GUESS EVERYONE HAS A BIT OF PRIDE FROM WHERE THEY COME FROM, BUT GOOD GOD YOU OUGHT TO SEE THAT PLACE.

• big pep

D.H.B LOOK GOOD LAST NIGHT ON THOSE CATCHES LITE YEARS AHEAD OF J.L.H. DMAC LOOKS FAST BUT OUR O-LINE NEEDS TO BLOCK FOR HIM.

• Nnamdi21
  • Nnamdi21

I think we will keep DHB more than a year…

• Nnamdi21

Hope Tyvon gets his coverage thing figured out. Hope Huff steps up in the regs…

• TheyCallMeAssassin

Tyvon needs to step up against TEs in particular. Witten victimized him in the first preseason game.

• fat kidd

jason campbell expected to return for season opener

• Dark Forces

Both lines are weak. Same ol story, same ol song and dance.

• BigLefty

The game was live in Los Angeles

Tivo’d it watched it and watched it again

• JoeShow

Jimmy Raye is the Raiders best friend! Every raider fan should send him a thank you card for botching up both the Niners first two drives.

• JLofty

Special teams was especially horrible. That’s going to need to improve if we are going to be successful.

• Pingback: bubble hash