Campbell, Bush updates

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Sunday, August 29th, 2010 at 5:20 pm in Oakland Raiders.

A few highlights from Tom Cable’s conference call:

– Quarterback Jason Campbell has a right wrist injury that is more significant at this point than his stinger. It happened on the series previous to the one in which he was injured. He’s had an MRI and X-rays and Cable said it will be evaluated this week.

– Running back Michael Bush will have a “procdure” on his fractured left thumb but wont’ necessarily miss the opener. Cable said Bush would be “protected” but not with a cast.

– Chaz Schilens’ arthroscopic knee surgery is a “three to six week issue.” Cable said he’d be questionable for the opener, meaning he’s more than likely out.

– Cornerback Chris Johnson and center Samson Satele will practice this week. Both have been been challenged for their starting positions, Johnson by Stanford Routt, Satele by Jared Veldheer.

– Veldheer earned mixed reviews from Cable on his starting debut. He will play both center and tackle this week, an indication Satele is probably still the front-runner.

– Cornerback Joey Thomas (concussion) and defensive tackle Desmond Bryant (elbow) are day to day. Neither Jay Richardson (knee) or Alex Daniels will be ready to play in the next preseason game.

More to come . . .

• Norco Bob

Tom Cables wife, Randy Hanson, and OJ`s wife,..all deserved it. Ya heard me?

• edward teach

Wow. Twice in one week. I should buy a lottery ticket.

• Norco Bob

I lost a bag of reefer at game last night,..bout eighth ounce.,..dang.

• raidersxy

DHB had 46 yards in one preseason game. That was 1/3 his 2009 total. Things are looking up

• Norco Bob

Old Al crazy comparing Campbell to Plunkett,..now that JC done for year with wrist injury, Gradkowski, the TRUE Plunkett, will prove it. Print that you jealous shut-ins.

• PassTheCheetos

Right now id trust Gradkowski leading our offense than I would Jason Campbell. Ive been waiting all preseason just for him to lay out one deep bomb. Then Grads comes in and after less than a quarter lays a beauty right into the hands of murphy hitting him in stride.

• andy25g

Raider organization sugarcoats everything….Campbell is hurt and is going to miss a few games, Bush is hurt and is going to miss a few games, D-mac isn’t a running back, DHB can’t catch, Huff can’t tackle, Defense Scheme is still archaic…sure there’s more

• Norco Bob

For you crybabies in here whinin bout preseason losses,..Raiders beat Dallas a couple weeks ago,..in real life, Dallas ten times better then the Raiders.

• PassTheCheetos

Either way our oline played terrible last night and its just a matter of time until grads gets hurt or campbell does again.

• http://www.tedhendricks.com/Ted_vs_Montana.jpg BigTed707

Godspeed on the Raiders gettin’ healthy.
    I wish them the best.

• Norco Bob

Andy 2010 probably goin to be like 6-10,…if we lucky,..I go to every game as you know,..I mainly go to get drunk, stoned, loaded,…and to barbeque.

• Norco Bob

Thanks Ted,..youre a sweet man.

• andy25g

I would love to see them do well but I’m not the most optimistic…what have they proven. I don’t spend money on going to games like in the past

• Norco Bob

Save your money Andy, especially since you cant afford it….keep watchin from the couch,..thats more your speed.

• andy25g

You’re right…I just take my poor self to the bar and order sodas for the free refills

• Norco Bob

Yes Andy we know,..and we also know what kind of bars you hang at too.

• andy25g

How do you know??? do you frequent them as well

• Norco Bob

MR told us all a while back. All good babe.

• RaidingTexas

This season is looking a lot less promising.

• edward teach

My boy Maurkice Pouncey’s stonewalling Denver NT Jamaal Williams pretty good tonight.

God, I hope Veldheer works out. We really need a center.

• SnB offense defense specialteams

I guess the Raiders are going to have to win this with backups having to step up.

I hope you all see something in Gradkowski and DMAC that no one else in the league sees!

• SnB offense defense specialteams

RaidingTexas Says:
    August 29th, 2010 at 5:48 pm
    This season is looking a lot less promising
    ======================================================
    Frustrating isn’t it.

All is not lost. Gradkowski did look good yesterday, so hopefully that 4th QTR of the Pitt game and this showing yesterday represents a trend and not an anomaly.

The only thing that makes me nervous about the Raiders year in and year out of late is that we keep depending on players that have never done it (success) before.

• JB

# LT DAN Says:
    August 29th, 2010 at 5:49 pm

If Dmac cant play rb full time shouldn’t he return kicks or/ punts?
    ************************

No. That position requires moves and change of pace – neither of which DMac possesses. He’s a straight line player (runner).

• Thec07

When was the last time you saw DMAC juke someone???

• LT DAN

Its been suggested Dmac play the slot that also requires lateral moves. He may need to move to outside WR and run go routes all game like james jett did. KOR return is a lot of straight ahead running but with his injury probs he may not be able to handle that either.

• Norco Bob

I think best place for DMC is the practice squad. Bingo.

• JB

Norco, Unless there is significant improvement you may be right. Better yet, just package him, before he loses all of his value, for a trade for a ORT.

• priesttj

That’s his biggest problem he can put a move on a telephone pole. He can’t run laterally unless it’s a drill where they tell him which way to go. It’s frustrating as hell.

• http://www.tedhendricks.com/Ted_vs_Montana.jpg BigTed707

Go Raiders (1-0)!

• JB

LT DAN

You suggestion of a regular WR spot may have some merit. My thought was that at slot he goes against slower LB’ers & safeties. Once he gets by them he should be in the open. Against CB’s have will have to have some moves and we’ve already rode that horse.

• http://www.tedhendricks.com/Ted_vs_Montana.jpg BigTed707

Priest,
    What did you think of JV at center? Has he at least earned the #2 spot in your book?

• Norco Bob

TJ,..Im calling Gary at 9:00 sharp tomorrow,..I will, on the air, demand you be let back in,..ok?…Iv got your back dude. Youre welcome.

• tazZraider

Norco Bob Says:
    August 29th, 2010 at 5:24 pm
    I lost a bag of reefer at game last night,..bout eighth ounce.,..dang.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    damn i hate losing bud too

• Kirk

Until Al Davis realizes that left offensive tackle is the most important position on the football field, we will continue to have problems.

• Norco Bob

Ted,..wtf do you care what Priest thinks about JV?

• tazZraider

at least we aint the worst tackling team in the NFL

• JB

Reece, Bennett & Cartwright all handled the swing pass better than DMac. The swing pass will have to play a significant role in this year’s offense. Fortunately, all of this year’s QB’s can throw an accurate swing pass with touch.

• Norco Bob

Its ok Taz…went to the clinic in Sacramento today,..bought a killer ounce of Purple.

• LT DAN

I think the issue there JB is that a slot has to do a multitude of releases and routes to get open not sure a guy with average lateral ability can do it. Most slots dont just run vertical. Is he really that bad? I cant watch the replay till tomorrow.

• priesttj

He played about as well as I thought he could, what I like about him is he is scrappy as hell. He’ll give you everything he’s got I just don’t think C is the spot for him he is a natural OT, I think he can be at his best there.

• Norco Bob

Im going to game thursday night, only because Im putting up a banner in my endzone,..will read…”DONT PUT IT OFF, START STRIKE NOW”….perfect.

• http://www.tedhendricks.com/Ted_vs_Montana.jpg BigTed707

Norco Bob Says:
    August 29th, 2010 at 5:24 pm
    I lost a bag of reefer at game last night,..bout eighth ounce.,..dang.
    _______________________
    Some lucky dooshbag scored!

• Norco Bob

TJ,..call Gary at 9:00 also,..I will tell Pat to allow you on,..you up that early?

• Norco Bob

Its actually possible I smoked it all and thought I lost it…dont matter.

• http://www.tedhendricks.com/Ted_vs_Montana.jpg BigTed707

#40, He played good for a rookie OT, I don’t think he won the #1 spot.

• JB

# LT DAN Says:
    August 29th, 2010 at 6:25 pm

***********************

Well, we gotta do something with him. RB is certainly out of the question. Slot WR maybe, maybe not. Wideout WR, maybe. Who knows. Some like JLH at slot but I’m not one of the. He’s a real head case. I’d like to see NMiller and possibly Ford at slot. Here’s an idea, DMac, JLH, packaged for an ORT trade. That would help solve a multitude of problems.

• priesttj

Kirk

just so you know Al Davis has assembled some of the best Olines in the history of this game. So I think he knows a little bit about what he’s doing.

• http://www.tedhendricks.com/Ted_vs_Montana.jpg BigTed707

Were you smokin’ dubes? Easy to burn through an 1/8 when your smokin’ fatty’s.

• LT DAN

If dmac cant play rb then I agree JB trade him and I think JLH makes more mistakes than he is worth. I doubt we can get anything for him.

• Norco Bob

We had the bong goin last night…TJ, if youre gonna be a Richard, I wont help you,…its up to you man, I have Gary on speed dial, I can hook it up.