I’m not familiar with Andy Slater or South Florida radio, but if Stevie Brown is the Raiders final cut and Quinton Groves is the starting weak side linebacker, then it’s possible he knows someone in within the walls of 1220 Harbor Bay Parkway.
Slater is a talk show host on on 640 WTFL Florida. He began tweeting this morning that coaches were lobbying to cut safety Mike Mitchell, who was a controversial second-round draft pick out of Ohio last year, and that they were lobbying in favor of Brown, the seventh-round pick out of Michigan.
According to his biography on the radio station Web site, “Andy also worked for Al Davis and the Oakland Raiders organization. Slater had the unique privilege of being the tech who prepared the breakdown of NFL game film and present it to players and coaches during their meetings . At an early age Andy Slater went where the rest of media could not go….deep inside.
Both Brown and Mitchell were on the field when the Raiders practiced today. Brown even spoke to the media about making the 53-man roster.
The Raiders still had one move to make but have declined to make an announcement until the list has gone through league channels.
Here is a list of tweets from the Twitter page AndySlater on Twitter which started hours ago:
– allblacklouie they don’t believe he’s that good… and also other factors… trade is possible, but prob. unlikely from AD now.
– @allblacklouie Brown has to clear waivers. Can’t say it enough how much everyone in org. wants Mitchell gone. AD final say. about 2 hours ago via web in reply to allblacklouie
– Starting LBs will be Wimbley, McClain, Groves about 2 hours ago via web
– Brown gone. RT @allblacklouie Hey @AndySlater If we don’t keep 5 safeties, it will be Hiram Eugene who’s cut not Brown or Mitchell about 3 hours ago via web
– Cutting Stevie Brown wasn’t a decision many in the organization are happy with. Seems like AD didn’t want the bad PR cutting Mitchell about 3 hours ago via web
– The Raiders have officially cut Stevie Brown. He is the final cut. Mike Mitchell stays. about 3 hours ago via web
– Team is calling around checking for interest in Mike Mitchell before 6:00pm ET for a late rd. pick.
about 5 hours ago via web
– Coaches are trying their best to have Stevie Brown make team and not Mitchell… We’ll find out what Al Davis decided shortly. about 5 hours ago via web
– Kenzel_D I hear ya… Coaches want Brown, not Mitchell. Let’s see if it sticks after practice. about 7 hours ago via web in reply to Kenzel_D
– LB Travis Goethel has made the active roster. DT Desmond Bryant has made the active roster.
about 7 hours ago via web
– Depsite reports, the Raiders are not keeping 5 safeties. As I stated prior, one will be cut after practice. Mitchell or Brown about 7 hours ago via web
– @GdaRAIDER408 then don’t pay attention. If you’ve been following me for two years on Raiders news, I let my track record speak for itself. about 7 hours ago via web in reply to GdaRAIDER408
– If Raiders release Mitchell, it’s obviously bad PR. 2nd rounder from ’09, very questionable in first place. What will Al do….. about 7 hours ago via web
– Let me be clear, for those tweeting me on Mitchell/Raiders, coaches do NOT want him. Addition by subtraction. Still no announcement
about 7 hours ago via web.
– If Al does overturn the decision to cut Mike Mitchell, it was SOLELY be b/c it doesn’t look good. Bad PR. Raiders coaches don’t want him. about 8 hours ago via web
– Al Davis is going to have the final word on Mike Mitchell. Right now he is cut… Will Al overturn it? Find out shortly. #raiders about 8 hours ago via web
– Oakland Raiders cuts should be coming shortly… Last minute decision making with a few players going on right now #nfl about 9 hours ago via web