Veldheer breaks through

Some first impressions from the Raiders final round of cuts (with one to go):

– Center Jared Veldheer has gone from Division II left tackle at Hillsdale College to an NFL starter, replacing Samson Satele. And he apparently did well enough that Cable didn’t even feel the need to give him some more playing time in the preseason finale against Seattle.

– Not sure what Trevor Scott’s future is as a weakside linebacker, but when he played on both sides at defensive end against Seattle, that apparently wasn’t good news for Jay Richardson, who was one of the cut victims.

– The Raiders have no brutish blocking fullback to lead the way for their running game. Marcel Reece has gotten better as a blocker but is primarly a receiver.

– No surprise that the entire draft class made the roster. Questions remain about the severity of Travis Goethel’s injury. Cable said that would be addressed at a later time.

– Those thought to be on the bubble who survived included linebacker Thomas Howard, wide receiver Johnnie Lee Higgins and linebacker Sam Williams. Cornerback Chris Johnson survived his Seattle torching with a roster spot.

We all know how the Raiders feel about ESPN’s Adam Schefter, but his Twitter report that the Raiders were considering offers for Howard and Johnson make sense.

– Daniel Loper . . . who knew?

– Looks like return specialists will be either Nick Miller or Rock Cartwright on kickoffs or Yamon Figurs or Johnnie Lee Higgins on punts.

Still one move to make and players won’t be secure until Raiders sift through options for players cut by other teams _ including Seattle wide receiver T.J. Houshmanzadeh. Curious whether Raiders will seriously look into Houshmanzadeh or stick with the commitment to their young wide receivers.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• Thec07

Raider NATION….

• Just Fire Baby

Call me crazy, but TJ Housh might be a slight upgrade over Yamon Figurs.

• DirtyRaccoon

DirtyRaccoon Says:
    September 4th, 2010 at 1:18 pm
    Raider O Says:
    September 4th, 2010 at 1:15 pm
    J,

You were right!!! Veldheer is the starting C, and that’s why he didn’t play the last preseason game.

Do your victory dance bro!

**********

I like Veldheer, and his short T-Rex arms, BUT do yall remember Matt Stinchcomb??????

• El Tato

Well Bauce 4 Real, you cannot be the most intelligent guy in the world if you think the Broncos did well, they lost their first round pick in 2010 to get Alphonso Smith

• Thec07

Just Fire Baby Says:
    September 4th, 2010 at 1:17 pm
    Call me crazy, but TJ Housh might be a slight upgrade over Yamon Figurs.
    ++++++++++==

Hey crazy, what up???

• Just Fire Baby

So much for Priest’s ranting about Jered not even being close to ready.

• Thec07

Like I said, I thought the pocket looked better with V in the game… It seemed to me we had a lot more time to throw the ball….

• DirtyRaccoon

****************

Veldheer is just keepin the seat warm for Stephen Wisniewski

• Thec07

Whi are the Riader 5 best Olinemen???

• DirtyRaccoon

Thec07 Says:
    September 4th, 2010 at 1:22 pm

*-***

This is true.

• Just Fire Baby

Thec07 Says:
    September 4th, 2010 at 1:22 pm

*************************************

In fairness, that was also the game our starting QB took a cart-ride out of the stadium.

• RaiderLen

So Cable said that Velhdeer would make them bigger and more physical.

Ya Think?

Way to go V!

• Thec07

Who are the 5 Best Raider Olinemen???

• http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXj7I1RzLSE&feature=related exlaraiderseasonticketholder

I’m ready for Raider Football.

• Just Fire Baby

Raider O Says:
    September 4th, 2010 at 1:15 pm
    J,

You were right!!!

*************************************

Yes, this craigslist thing is a damn shame.

• Thec07

Just Fire Baby Says:
    September 4th, 2010 at 1:22 pm
    Thec07 Says:
    September 4th, 2010 at 1:22 pm

*************************************

+++++++++++++

Both QB;s had time to throw with him in there…

The only reason i would have not put V in the starting lineup was if satele would be servicable, then we coud put V somewhere on the line…. The pocket didnt lie…

• RAIDERMAN99

Satele wasn’t serviceable. Got overpowered far too frequently. Additionally, don’t forget one of the reasons he got benched last year was dissatisfaction by the coaching staff over his line calls. Suspect there wasn’t enough improvement there and once V showed he was up to the task even as a raw rookie, it was inevitable Setele became 2nd string.

• J Hill

Raider O Says:
    September 4th, 2010 at 1:15 pm
    J,

Do your victory dance bro!

——————————————————

LOL!

• J Hill

LOL JFB!

• Bauce 4 Real

EL Toddler…..broncos? no one was talking about them! Your dumbass said u would rather keepp richardson and cooper over Higgins…..u have nada for me

• DirtyRaccoon

Looks like so far only tendered RFA Raiders let go was Chris Morris. Kept Ricky Brown, Gradkowski, Howard. I can see Morris coming back after the season starts.

• J Hill

No more of Satele getting rag dolled, lol.

The obvious pocket that Veldheer provided stood out as well.

• RaiderLen

I can see Morris coming back after the season starts.
    ————————
    Raccoon, I hope you’re wrong on this one.

• priesttj

Good for Veldheer I didn’t see it and still don’t but I’m not at practice to see his progress. T Howard must have made an impression and won his job back making T Scott a DE again.

The only thing that’s bothering me is this Goethel thing and what his prognosis is. I just hope he’s not out for the season he made a huge impact IMO.

• J Hill

J Rich getting cut hopefully = the end of the Trevor Scott project at LB!

Howard or Groves should start!

• Just Fire Baby

I like(d) Jay Richardson, always thought he was pretty good for the D-line rotation.

Pretty sure, of all of our cuts, he will be the one who generates the most interest out there.

• RaiderLen

No more of Satele getting rag dolled, lol.

The obvious pocket that Veldheer provided stood out as well.
    ——————————-
    Yep

• DirtyRaccoon

RaiderLen Says:
    September 4th, 2010 at 1:28 pm
    I can see Morris coming back after the season starts.
    ————————
    Raccoon, I hope you’re wrong on this one.

****************

Me too Len, me too.

• RAIDERMAN99

Raiderman99 is going to address the elephant in the room and stir up the Raider QB controversy !

Repost…

Not convinced the Raids are gonna beat the Tits week 1.

We’re all stoked about stopping Chris Johnson and that’s a tall order, but from the few plays I’ve seen this pre-season it seems like Vince Young has really stepped up his passing ability. Saw him complete a 20 yard laser that hit a rcvr over the middle right in stride. Just one play but it impressed the hell out of me. If Young can do that consistently in combo with his scrambling ability the Tits are going to be hard to lick, no pun intended.

I also don’t think a loss in Tenn dooms the 2010 Raids. I expect that they’ll rebound nicely and get better as the season progresses.

Especially once Gradkowski takes the reigns from Campbell.

I might be drinking the koolaid, but I honestly think something has clicked for Gradkowski. I think he’s come into his own. Like his leadership, toughness, command, accuracy, ability to see the field, improvise, make things happen. Plus he throws a very catchable ball which is gonna help DHB.

Yup, I know there’s a lot of doubters. I mean, here’s a guy that’s been let go by TB. I can understand the reluctance to believe we might actually have an upper tier QB that was dismissed as a scrub.

But I really do believe Grdkowski is a very good QB that can take the Raids to the playoffs if given a chance, and if the Raid offensive line doesn’t get him killed.

• Just Fire Baby

Tom Howard toed the company line, said all the right things, and seemed content to realizing his place in his career at this stage.

If he is willing to be a stand-up dude and a situational player, than he is OK in my book.

• Bauce 4 Real

Very concerned about reece being able to block for our rbs…..tonga on practice squad for now

• J Hill

Henderson-Gallery-Veldheer-Walker-Barnes

• fat kidd

new post

• El Tato

# Bauce 4 Real Says:
    September 4th, 2010 at 1:26 pm

……………………………

Higgins is a below-average soft NFL player at best, the guy has done nothing in the league in 3 years except from a few return TDs a few years back, he would be cut today in all 31 teams except Oakland

• Raider Dell

V, the starting center makes sense at this time. Gallery with his experience to V’S left and Carlisle to V’S right with experience, will be able to help out with the protection calls and as vets also can adjust on the fly. IF V MAKES A MISTAKE, which he will, until he has more than a few games under his belt, will be not as bad with experienced players on the line.

I’m surprised by Loper, must of missed something. Loper never showed much in the pre season games I watched.

Satele will become our Chris Morris, he can place both guards, and center.

Morris, was back up long snapper and short, there must be a back up, I havent seen, other than Zach Miller.

Dangerous proposition to have, in case he needs to replace Condo with an injury.

• Bauce 4 Real

Lol at grad taking qb spot from jc! lolololololol…..u are out your mind…..you know Al Davis is still alive?

• Coach on Wheels

TOLD YOU – It isn’t hard to figure out when you look at it like a coach.

Told you after the Seattle game Veldheer was the starting C and Morris was going to be the surprise cut.

The 99 yard return allowed by the back-ups locked in S Williams and Eugene for special teams at least.

No need for a third TE with Pears.

Figurs is on scholarship.

If the team can’t swing a quick trade they’ll likely IR someone or cut Eugene or a WR.

• kaisuva

Coach On Wheels Says:
    September 4th, 2010 at 1:34 pm
    TOLD YOU – It isn’t hard to figure out when you look at it like a coach.

No need for a third TE with Pears.

Figurs is on scholarship.

***********************************************************************************

Morris also plays G so he would be kept for versatility. I couldn’t agree more about not needing 3rd TE and Figurs on scholarship.

• RaiderRetribution

I knew and I told you Loper the G would make it.

As well as the entire draft class of 2010 (take that espn).

• Teabag

6’5 QB and a 6’8 C …. brilliant… nooooo, that won’t be a problem during ANY play at ANY point during the season….

• fat kidd

Dre Bly among Lions cuts
    Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 4, 2010 8:25 PM ET
    Cornerback Dre Bly is not gonna be Dre for the Detroit Lions again.

Bly was among the final roster cuts Detroit announced Saturday night,