Post-practice news, notes

News, notes, quotes and observations following Thursday’s media availablity sessions, practice and post-practice press briefing with coach Tom Cable:

— No surprise the Raiders will string out the official status of Michael Bush until Sunday.

Bush didn’t practice Thursday, but Cable said he might get in some work Friday morning before the team departs for Nashville and that he will be a “game time decision.”

At game time, Bush it will have been one day shy of two weeks since Bush had surgery to put screws in his left thumb.

— Others who didn’t practice were wide receiver Chaz Schilens (knee), cornerback Walter McFadden (hamstring) and linebacker Travis Goethel (lower back). Defensive tackle Desmond Bryant (elbow) was limited.

— Left guard Robert Gallery, talking about the improvements in the Raiders offense, “We have new pieces around us and a quarterback that knows the system and gets rid of the ball. There is a new lease on this offense. We’re the same guys and if sacks are given up, it’s on us. But we have to go out and be good.”

True enough. If Campbell is sacked six times, they won’t have JaMarcus Russell to kick around anymore.

— Defensive coordinator John Marshall and his observations on rookie middle linebacker Rolando McClain: “I think he’s right there with Lofa Tatupu at this point. Lofa came in, just a tremendous aptitude for football. He understood football, and so does Rolando.

“Obviously his head coach at Alabama spent time with him and has schooled him real well. He understands concepts, he understands strengths and weaknesses, and of course, being big and fast, that helps. So he’s made a great transition.”

— Marshall on rookie defensive end Lamarr Houston: “On offense sometimes, not all the time, they’ll hold and do some things to upset him. And he’ll let ’em know that’s not happening with this guy . . . yesterday he beat somebody in pass rush, I won’t say who, and he was just laughing like crazy.

“The next time, the offensive lineman was upset, he kind of halfway beat him again, and so the lineman threw him down. Well, (Houston) gets up, he’s laughing, and he says, `That’s what happens when you get beat, you get mad.’ ”

— Marshall is pleased about the versatility of his unit, noting that cornerback Jeremy Ware can play safety, Michael Huff and Tyvon Branch can line up at slot corner, that his defensive linemen can play both inside and outside and that his linebackers can function as pass rushers.

Which brings up the question as to whether the Raiders can be so versatile they lose sight of exactly what they do best.

“No, no, we make sure we’ve got go home to mama defenses,” Marshall said. “You know how mama makes you feel? She cooks for you, washes your clothes, it’s security in that mama’s home? Well, we’ve got things in mama’s home.”

— Marshall on moving cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha to different areas of the defense: “Well, we put him inside last year, and brought him (on blitzes) , and he’ll be moving around, yeah, we’ll utilize him.”

— Linebacker Thomas Howard, speculated as trade bait and as a candidate to be released after losing his starting job, survived as a core special teams player and a player that defensive coordinator John Marshall said would play certain defensive packages including a “big nickel.”

Within the last year, Howard not only lost his starting job, but a chance at unrestricted free agency when the NFLPA and owners didn’t reach a collective bargaining agreement. During the NFL draft, one of Howard’s closest friends, Kirk Morrison, was traded to the Jacksonville Jaguars after Oakland McClain.

Instead of waiting for the ax to fall, Howard carved out a niche for himself.

Special teams coordinator John Fassel said he singled out Howard during a unit meeting as a positive example.

“I said, ‘You could consider your predicament a demotion or an opportunity,’ ” Fassel said. “And his effort and his willingness to play on special teams and his performance to me has been outstanding.

“I couldn’t be happier with his willingness to contribute and be a part of that special teams because some people would take it as, ‘I used to be a starter and now I’m on special teams,’ but his attitude’s been great about it, so that’s been fun.”

Listening to Cable, it’s clear Howard was being watched very closely as to how he was handling the changes.

“That’s kind of the heartbeat of your team, issues like that,” Cable said. “That’s what makes your chemistry good or bad. He looked at as an opportunity, a different opportunity than he was used to, but I think it’s also kind of rekindled the fire in him.”

— Fassel on kickoff and punt returner Yamon Figurs: “I was with him his rookie season in Baltimore. He scored three times. (actually twice on returns). He’s a light, fast guy, and if he gets a crease then he’s somebody that has the speed that can score for you. So that’s exciting. I think that’s what he can bring for us as a dual punt returner and kickoff returner. And then he’s got his things he’s got to work on, but to me as a cover team, you’ve got to be a little bit concerned about his ability because of the speed.”

— Cable confirmed the Raiders worked out Bobby McCray, former defensive end for the Saints.

“We’ve had a number of guys in,” Cable said “(It’s) just to know who the player is and be familiar with it if it was necessary down the road.”

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• Dirtiest Raccoon

Raider O Says:
    September 10th, 2010 at 9:35 am
    Raccoon,

LMAO bro. Food & entertainment!

***************

It’s true. Natures way.

Brokeback Mountain

Who ???

• Raccoon,

I don’t have problems with hunting, but I never understood the hanging head of an animal looking right at you.

• The Big Banana

# bcz24 Says:
    September 10th, 2010 at 5:38 am

I just wonder why Minnesota gave up on Peterson again? Favre isnt gonna carry them this year. They need to lean on AP, he will wear defenses out and get better as the game goes on…

====================================================

The problem is that Favre runs that team. Childress is his b1tch.

• J Hill

Raider O Says:
    September 10th, 2010 at 9:32 am

People who want animals’ heads around them scare me. What is wrong with pictures?

—————————————————–

Exactly O!

RRS, pos in law is an avid fisherman. Those lakes and creeks in Texas are no joke. I’m down with that all day, but we eat what we catch.

There are some farms in the family. But again, all the animal slaughtering is done for food.

The sport hunting is what I don’t understand. Not bashing it, to each his own. But I just sniggle to myself when I run into some of these old timers bragging about the heads on their wall. Again, not impressed with you having an elephant gun and the animal not really knowing what he’s getting into, if you will.

• J Hill

Brokeback Mountain

Who ???

—————————————————–

For real!

• Just Fire Baby

Childress has gained up about 30 pounds and looks like crap.

Brett Favre is literally killing Chilly!!!

• Just Fire Baby

sniggle

**********************

Is that your brother??

• The Big Banana

But I just sniggle to myself

================================================

What is sniggling?

• RNOraiderFan

RaiderRockstar Says:
    September 10th, 2010 at 9:38 am
    Brokeback Mountain

Who ???
    **************************************
    Just JKing RR you know I like to be a clown.
    Wish there was some Raiders news to talk about. Come on Jerry, where you at?

• J Hill

RRS …

Just an update on my overworked wife, lol.

Wednesday = 4 hours at the day spa

Thursday = 6 hours at the hair place

Friday = Still in bed sleep

• Dirtiest Raccoon

Raider O Says:
    September 10th, 2010 at 9:38 am
    Raccoon,

***************************

The head thing is kinda like hanging a 3-D picture. I personaly just screw the Antlers the the wall in my garage. The Antlers are not my motivation for hunting.

• J Hill

What is sniggling?

—————————————————–

Adult giggling ????

***

Jhill: sounds like a great time man – we eat the deer that we kill too, but if we kill a big buck, it’ll be mounted. if the head freaks you out theres always a European mount (bone only)

• Dirtiest Raccoon

******************

Entertainment.

• J Hill

What is sniggling?

——————————————————

Actually now that I think about it, it probably means sarcastic giggling.

My wife always asks me what I’m sniggling about. 15 years later I have absorbed the term into my vocabulary.

I’ll ask for clarification when she wakes the phugg up, lol.

• RNOraiderFan

Wondering if the Titans will try to go 3 WRs and put us in a nickle? If they do will the Raiders roll big/strong nickle or go base. Even if the Titans go 3 WRs, they are still going to give the rock to CJ.

Just an update on my overworked wife

***

Jhill: put her on the payroll!

she doesn’t like fried fish or Kool-Aid?

• PurpleDrank81

Did this turn into a hunting Blog?

• J Hill

theres always a European mount (bone only)

——————————————————-

Dude ….

• RNOraiderFan

with only two Lbs on the field CJ might do some damage.

Did this turn into a hunting Blog?

***

we’ve already beat Trevor Scott & Yamon Figurs to death, why not?

• PurpleDrank81

The Raiders need to put 8 in the box…. We cant afford for CJ to make giant runs

• 1960RAIDER

1960RAIDER Says:
    September 10th, 2010 at 7:32 am
    I follow every day but rarely chime in…have to do it this year…JFB your man crush on Garbagekowski is disturbing, New Mexico air must be affecting your judgement. Raiders 27 Titans 20 and we finally get off the 1st game schneid!!!! Raydas Forever
    ***

Hey Big B–don’t leave me out…after watching last nights game i can’t see how we won’t have the best shot in years..only this time we WIN the opener against the nashville oilers

• RNOraiderFan

Man I hope McClain is going to be good. No more 1rst rounders underpreforming PLEASE!

• Raccoon,

No sir it’s not! lol

Darrius Heyward-Bey will be the best WR on the field for either team … 7 catches, 135 yards, TD

• PurpleDrank81

I dont have a problem with T.Scott as much as I do with Figurs

• J Hill

Jhill: put her on the payroll!

—————————————————–

????

She is WITHOUT question on the payroll. Who the heck do you think is paying for all of this?

Why do you think I am about to start ANOTHER business under the guidance of the head monkey Raider O?

• The Big Banana

The Vikings looked like a team that didn’t have his QB in training camp…..oh wait

• Dirtiest Raccoon

PurpleDrank81 Says:
    September 10th, 2010 at 9:47 am
    Did this turn into a hunting Blog?

*************************

Yes. And Raiders when there is sompin to talk about.

Don’t like it? Then move on my friend!!

***

Agreed. this first test won’t be an easy one 😮

• J Hill

Trevor Scott & Yamon Figurs

——————————————————

Who ????

• RNOraiderFan

8 in the box sounds good, like a 4-4 front. with MM playing hybrid style LB and S, or a rover if thats what you want to call it.

• PurpleDrank81

Kenny Britt gets shut down and we focus on CJ and will win the game

• RNOraiderFan

RR, will the rook be in if we are in the nickle? Which two LBs will be in the Nickle?

• RNOraiderFan

Howard and Wimbley?

***

seriously? good for you J!

I thought Raider O was the Lion King or the Lizard King? now he’s been reduced to a talking monkey ???

ouch

• The Big Banana

I got you down 1960RAIDER

• PurpleDrank81

Calm down Raccoon….Got excited seeing to of the things I love in the same blog…..HUnting/Raiders Football….Really theres nothing better

• J Hill

The Raiders need to put 8 in the box…. We cant afford for CJ to make giant runs

——————————————————-

I don’t know about this. Big runs often happen against 8 man fronts because you only need one crease.

What we NEED to do is have a front 4 of Seymour-Kelly-Henderson, and ShoNasty with Houston and Alford seeing A LOT of snaps!

• RNOraiderFan

VY 12comp 20att 140yrds 0tds 1int
    CJ 32carry 167yrds 2tds 1fmb
    ****************************************
    JC 22comp 34att 268yrds 2tds 1int
    DM 18carry 79yrds 1td 1fmb
    *************************************
    Both teams score a FG
    Raiders 24 Titans 17!!!!!!

Howard and Wimbley?

***

I’m not a coach man, but I think there’s a difference between “big nickel” and regular nickel packages.

to my understanding #53 comes in and a safety goes out in the BN – just reg nickel I’m guessing Groves comes out or plays End

• J Hill

***

seriously? good for you J!

——————————————————-

Why not?

An hour away, and he say he can show me a good business investment? I’m always down for that. Probably hollar at him by the first of the year. Need to save up some $. (which is why I can’t afford increased “payroll”, lol).

• Go Hurricanes tomorrow!

• PurpleDrank81

Front 4 sounds nice but I wouldnt mind puttin Mitchell in the box..Chris Johnson Doesnt like to get hit and say thats why he’s so effective because he gets around the corner

Agreed

Scott, Groves & Wimbley are pass rushing beasts that will be on the field often though. We’ll see how it all plays out in 2 days

• RNOraiderFan

Is it Sunday yet???? I’m haveing a kickoff party, I even invited a lone Titans fan for entertainment.

• The Big Banana

What we NEED to do is have a front 4 of Seymour-Kelly-Henderson, and ShoNasty

====================================================

Agreed. I’d like to see this team say ‘alright, let’s see what you got, Vince’

• J Hill

McClain NEVER comes off the field.

Nickel is McClain and Howard at LB with Wimbley and Scott at DE.

Have NO idea why they call that a big nickle, Initially there was a formation where one LB came off the field and MM34 came in. THAT was the big nickel.