1,147

Raiders back in the race

OK, one game in, the Raiders were never out of the AFC West just because they did a Week 1 face-plant in Tennessee.

But if the Raiders needed any more evidence that their division was up for grabs, it came in the form of a 21-14 win by the Kansas City Chiefs over the San Diego Chargers at Arrowhead Stadium.

Neither team was impressive, although you could argue that if the Raiders had mustered half the emotion in Nashville that the Chiefs did on their home field, they’d at least have been competitive.

But the Chargers’ decision to play hardball with wide receiver Vincent Jackson and left tackle Marcus McNeill has brought them back to a so-so field.

As bad as the Raiders were in Tennessee, they’re tied with Denver and San Diego at 0-1 with the Chiefs at 1-0. If they continue to play as poorly as they did in Week 1, nothing else matters.

But while the Raiders deserve a healthy dose of skepticism based on the last seven years, visual evidence suggests that despite what happened Sunday, they’re considerably better as a passing offense than they were a year ago. They’ve looked awful for several years in that regard in training camp and it played out that way in the regular season, so I’m going to believe my eyes and expect they’ll be upgraded to somewhere near average this year because that’s what I saw in July and August.

Surely it wasn’t a complete mirage, the same way their horrid play in the passing game in past camps wasn’t a mirage.

Looks like 8-8 means contention, and the next three opponents are St. Louis, Arizona and Houston. With the possible exception of the Texans _ which plays the Raiders in Oakland _ none of these teams presents the kinds of challenges the Raiders faced in Nashville.

Hit the quarter-turn at 2-2, and as Tom Cable likes to say, they’re on schedule.

All points worth debating in Tuesday’s chat at noon, Pacific time.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• Raider Dell

Game plan out today for the Raiders practice.

I watched the rams game. The Rams D, will bring heat on many downs, no matter what the distance or placement on the field.

Bradford throws a nice ball, seems to like the crossing route, and curl the best.

Steven Jackson, is not the break away threat, like this past weekends Chris Johnson off Tenn, but he is 240lbs and a bone crusher to bring down. They will attack the Raiders in the “A” gap and some “B”, I don’t see the Rams running to many edge rush attempts.

Their D line, is strong, and the Raiders will have a tough time creating holes for running lanes.

I wasn’t all that impressed with their line backers, so I believe the Raiders can exploit some of those mismatches on their LB’S.

Secondary needs a great pass rush to hold up. Let’s see, if the Raiders can find some time to create passing lanes for JC, and look to pass to Zach Miller more often than the last game.

Let’s go with power sets, two tightends, one back, and two receivers and flex out DMAC, for a commitment from the SS, to cover DMAC or a linebacker. Free up Miller from blocking and let Meyers do the heavy lifting. That would be a start, to build some confidence, at the beginning of the game.

I can’t pass the drug test, and you blog at work!

Remember?

ahhh yes, now I remember

but that fat monkey Tom Cable is making millions!

where can we get a Time-Out Coordinator position ???

• The Big Banana

J Hill Says:
    September 15th, 2010 at 9:53 am

Anyway …

Now that the preseason/offseason speculation is over, we can get to the reality of our team.

Biggest issues IMO are

1) QB play

2) SS play

3) OT play

=============================================

If our QB is truly giving away the snap timing, then both 1) and 3) can be helped with a new QB. With the jumps those guys were getting, our big OTs had no chance.

• http://www.aflciodental.com/unions/IBEW.png r8eray

Beat writer Jerry McDonald considers Darren McFadden’s performance “by far the most encouraging sign” for the Raiders in the season opener.

“He broke tackles, ran hard,” wrote McDonald. “He consistently broke the first hit and finished runs.” That description is especially important for a runner like McFadden, as breaking tackles and finishing runs has been the biggest knock against his playing style in a disappointing first two seasons. McFadden is now in the driver’s seat in the Oakland backfield.

• J Hill

Samuel L, front seven on D is up to par?

——————————————————-

Depends on what you call a front 7.

Only bad play IMO was the long TD run from CJ2k. On that play, Wimbley and Scott we at DE with only McClain and Howard at LB, with Branch missing the tackle.

• priesttj

Guy’s Campbell was working with a rookie C it’s kind of tough to vary snap counts with a ookie wh can’t even get a consistent snap count right. He tried repeaedly to draw them offsides and the C didn’t get the message. That’s why you don’t ty a inexperienced rookie in that environment. The probability of success goes way down in all that crowd noise. Heck most experience probowl C’s have trouble. This kids never played C at a high level. It was FOOLHEARTY!! Cable suckered himself. That kid is not ready for this stage yet.

• http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXj7I1RzLSE&feature=related exlaraiderseasonticketholder

comments.

1095.RaiderRockstar Says:
    September 15th, 2010 at 10:00 am
    I also interact a lot with my instructors at class

***

does Mrs. O know about this?

Exla: dust off the 8 track and play Van Halen’s “hot for the teacher”
    ===============================
    I had an 8-track in my’65 Mustang. Then they came out with cassettes and a converter to slide into the 8-track.

• http://atm Raider O

RR,

All my instructors are makes, so the wife has nothing to worry about.
    Investments: Indian
    Corp Finance: White
    Acct: Chinese
    Islam: Arab
    LOL

• priesttj

Branch missed the tackle………..simple as that. But he got shook by the best.

Wait until your baby shower and Xmas is over before you buy ANYTHING!

Family and co workers go overboard. Had so much stuff we never even opened, still had tags on it for child #2.

sound advice

the youngster wont be here for another 2 months and already has a full closet full of clothes!

like you said, baby shower & Christmas still ahead

hoping for big ticket items :)

JFB is gonna buy us a rocking chair after I beat him in FF this week

• J Hill

I can’t pass the drug test,

——————————————————

Is Dell testing hair folicles or something?

And only the boss can blog at work?

WTF?

• The Big Banana

Did you bring her a banana for lunch?

==============================================

LOL. I thought about it.

• Raider Dell

meeting time. Boring! Salesman from a venture Capital firm. i get to hear and see how great things are, yeah right?

Later Nation!!!

Please pass this comment to Dakota when the thread changes, DMAC is not available for trade right now.

• The Big Banana

==========================================

EXACTLY!

• http://atm Raider O

RR,

We are going to create wealth the old fashion way: PEF!!

***

Dell pulled the rug right from under him!

Ouch

• Dirtiest Raccoon

September 15th, 2010 at 10:07 am
    Wait until your baby shower and Xmas is over before you buy ANYTHING!

*****************

Ask em for a Bow… Ya never know.

• J Hill

Dell,

I don’t know if we can get more of a power lineup than 6 OLmen. Really sad that we STILL couldn’t really do anything.

• guest123

Congrats RRS on your new first kid!

We didn’t figure out till our third kid, the best baby shower is a diaper baby shower. Just make sure that you get them to give you diapers, nothing else. That saved us 7 months of diapers and that adds up quick. All the cute little onesies are thrown out after one time the baby burps up his milk. Trust me on this one.

************************************

Wait until your baby shower and Xmas is over before you buy ANYTHING!

sound advice

like you said, baby shower & Christmas still ahead

hoping for big ticket items

JFB is gonna buy us a rocking chair after I beat him in FF this week

We are going to create wealth the old fashion way: PEF!!

***

I heard you had some savvy business deal for Jhill?

online “exotic plant” sales?

• Dirtiest Raccoon

Shannon Sharpe Alleged to have Sexually Assaulted Michele Bundy
    Shannon Sharpe has had a restraining order filed against him in Georgia by Michele Bundy, alleging Sharpe sexually assaulted her. Sharpe has not been arrested yet, but a hearing is scheduled for September 20th. Shannon Sharpe, a former football player who played 14 seasons in the NFL with the Denver Broncos and Baltimore Ravens, is currently an analyst on the ‘NFL Today’ show on CBS Sports …
    ThirdAge – 29 minutes ago

*******

GUILTY… maybe

Ask em for a Bow… Ya never know.

***

Dirty: I’m gonna see if wifey can register at Bass Pro for the baby boy!

tons of gifts would be put to good use … in 8-10 years and daddy can “borrow” them in the meantime :P

• inonewordraider

Let’s give Campbell 2 more weaks b4 we publicly behead him, at 2 -1 we’ll probably be tied for first in our weak division

• http://atm Raider O

J,

That’s why I like to do my own thing. I don’t think I will work in Corp finance, but you never know.

Congrats RRS on your new first kid!

thanks G!

we’ve started buying diapers for ourselves already. planning ahead, ya know?

I work for a large hospital chain, so I can buy diapers in bulk anyways for cheap (by the case)

not sure what brand though: pampers, huggies, etc

• http://atm Raider O

Later Dell.

RR,

J wants to learn the car business. There is a lot of profit in that bus.

***

did you read Dell’s post?

I think him and I are the only ones who watched the Week 1 Rams game and it’s not a lock that we’ll beat them!

• Dirtiest Raccoon

RaiderRockstar Says:
    September 15th, 2010 at 10:16 am
    Ask em for a Bow… Ya never know.

***

Dirty: I’m gonna see if wifey can register at Bass Pro for the baby boy!

*****

Brilliant!!

• guest123

Huggies is the choice

J wants to learn the car business. There is a lot of profit in that bus.

***

I want to learn the Pawn Shop business from Dakota so I can bring a gun to work!

• J Hill

The Big Banana Says:
    September 15th, 2010 at 10:09 am

==========================================

EXACTLY!

——————————————————

I disagree!

I counted maybe 4 snapping issues of which 2 MAYBE put us in a bad spot.

What about the other 60 snaps????

Severe and Priest are going to ride this C thing into the ground when it’s pretty obvious that the issues are with the OTs.

I can’t believe that a few folks are actually trying to blame Henderson’s and Walkers’s failures on the C.

LMFAO!

• http://blackhillsphoto.com/sturgis-weddings/black-hills-weddings.jpg Dakota

Dell,

Okay, I was going to offer you Ray Rice for McFadden, but since you got greedy I guess it is a no-go.

• http://www.car.org KoolKell

Bo Shrempbeckler Jackson

What did you think of Dmac’s performance Sunday?

Haven’t see you around since.

• http://blackhillsphoto.com/sturgis-weddings/black-hills-weddings.jpg Dakota

MLonetree,

Soooooo, the first of the two biggest McFadden haters finally showed his face!!!!

Where is your partner in doubt, Bo Bumbeckler Jackson?

• bcz24

Its not a lock that the Raiders beat anyone… except themselves. That is a LOCK

***

Agreed – Cable already addressed these issues, too.

• http://www.tedhendricks.com/Ted_vs_Montana.jpg BigTed707

Heartbreaker in Tenn.
    Week 1 Raiders:

• The Big Banana

J Hill – don’t get me wrong. I’m not blaming Veldheer for the OTs’ failures. I’m just saying it was foolish to start a rookie in a new position in that kind of environment for his first game. Crazy, even. Those bad snaps hurt the offense. Even 1 bad snap can be detrimental.

• Dirtiest Raccoon

Gotta run, but hey PEEPS/NATION we need to start a “Help RAIDERROCKSTAR’s new baby Boy get started right” fund/cache. Where the Raider Nation can send RAIDER, and Hunting gear to Lil RRS, and help out RR, and his Wife!

Hey Vegas, Dell, hook it up.

I’ll check back later on the progress of the event.

SOMEONE please re-post this on the next Blog.

M: what happened with that “wind” you predicted was going to knock over DMAC? or the hashmarks? or the fumbles? I don’t remember him tackling himself 1 time, or running into his OL

injury free, too.

THOUGHTS?

• Dirtiest Raccoon

guest123 Says:
    September 15th, 2010 at 10:23 am
    Huggies is the choice

• http://atm Raider O

Moves on the OL:
    1- Move Walker to G, or cut him.
    2- Play Campbell at OT!! He is very athletic.
    3- Let Barns & Campbell compete at RT.
    4- bring in Grove, and move Satele to G or cut him.
    5- Mario needs to improve, or he will lose his job to Barns or Campbell by week 3/4.
    6- cut cooper C.

Moves on Defense:
    1- cut Williams and Eugene.
    2- trade TK for Albert.
    3- put S Brown on the 53 man roster instead of Eugene. When Huff is injured, put MM in with Branch.

• J Hill

Veldheer had Gallery and Carlisle next to him. 2 vets mayne. I doubt the calls were an issue at all.

The QB was more of a problem, IMO.

Dirty: appreciate the thoughts & well wishes man, but we’ll be fine

wifey & I both work. huge family. we may have to make some sacrifices down the line, but thats part of parenthood, right?

not wealthy, but comfortable and thats fine by me :)

• DMAC

New post fellas.

• SnB offense defense specialteams

I think we win this week.

With that said, I am no longer blaming players and coaches….

Al Davis gets ALL THE CREDIT

And Al Davis gets ALL THE BLAME!

This is his doggone team. credititing or Blaming players and coaches is a stupid exercise.

If we got great players…thank Al for bringing them on

If we got stupid, incompetent players…blame Al

I am still upbeat for the year until the team gives me reasons not to be.

• ambase9