Gradkowski on “Into the Night”

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Tuesday, September 21st, 2010 at 11:32 am in Oakland Raiders.

A transcription of an interview with Raiders quarterback Bruce Gradkowski on “Into the Night” with Tony Bruno, courtesy of Sports Radio Interviews.com:

On whether or not he thinks he will start this weekend:

Gradkowski: You never know. I just have to be prepared and keep working like I’ve been. If my number gets called again, I’ll just come in there and try and do what I did the other night. The fans are awesome. The way that stadium was rocking the other day was unbelievable and I love those fans more than they even know.

On whether or not he thinks the fans might’ve influenced Tom Cable’s decision:

Gradkowski: I don’t know if they influenced coach or not, but I think they just wanted to see what I could do and if I could give us a spark. I was very fortunate that we played well in the second half. Our guys were playing well. The young guys, Darrius (Heyward-Bey) and Louis (Murphy) had a great game and along with Darren McFadden, he played tough. Our offensive line was playing tough like they always do. It was a really good effort on all parts of the offense and our whole team. Our defense, some of the hits they made in the second half were unbelievable.

On what his favorite nickname is:

Gradkowski: Yeah. I really don’t care. I like hearing them all. I like that Bruce Almighty, that’s pretty sweet. Anything they say, that’s cool with me. I just go with the flow. It was definitely exciting hearing the fans chant my name and it was a good day and hopefully more to come.

On when he thinks he will know about starting:

Gradkowski: Yeah. You probably should know by Wednesday. Jason is a good quarterback. We have a good quarterback room, we’re in this together, we all have the same goal and that’s to win and win a championship this year. It’s going to be tough but we need to focus and do whatever it takes to do that.

On whether he thinks he has been given a fair shot to start in Oakland:

Gradkowski: Yeah I’d like to think that. You always want to compete and do the best you can to be the starter. It was very unfortunate the injuries I had over this past offseason. I can’t control that. It was hard for me to really compete for the starting job when I wasn’t out there. We acquired Jason, he’s a good quarterback and we just have to get things rolling and get on the right track this year.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

Mystic:

You’re right that the OL is a problem, but that’s one reason why Bruce should be playing. He reads the defence faster and gets rid of the ball. Campbell has a hard time making up his mind.

• morilla

Excuse me? You idiot, he could have taken off and made a play. But let’s remember back to his awe inspiring slide for the first down. A thing of beauty. The dude is a slouch.

You know damn well a playmaker would have never given up on a play in 1.5 seconds. And Grads would have at least tried. We don’t need a half-arsed game manager right now. We need someone to make plays.

Shannahan is laughing at us once again. He knew what he had.

• http://Raiders4Ever.com 860Todd Christensen

Is it just me, or does Cable look more removed and uninformed from this team than he did in Pre-Season? His comments, non comments, general lack of knowing this team, with his less commitments, and the disgeneration of our O-line, he was an O-line guru, seem to me to just not add up?

• inonewordraider

Was at the game and dissapointed in all the Bruce chants before Campbell was pulled. Bruce has had more time with these guys so he should be further along than Campbell but is he the best solution for us long term? I say Cable made the right decision after seeing the outcome so he deserves credit and I know I’m in the small minority but dang, do we have to be that tough on our guys? What happens when Bruce has a bad game?

• morilla

Campbell was given the staring job in camp. He never earned it.

We don’t have time to develop anyone anymore. We need to win and now.

• http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll180/floresrd508/mcfaddenball.jpg SouthTexasRaider

i just say let campbell sit an watch so when grads messes up, he will be the one being chanted.

• http://Raiders4Ever.com 860Todd Christensen

Inone, when is it right to pull the plug, we had no first half stats, not saying Campball can’t get it done, but from what I saw, he was a zombie on the field, held way too long, couldn’t get it done. Did you see a different game?

• inonewordraider

Hell yeah Terrapin I haven’t noticed you commenting too much in here lately, bask in it brother! Our squad is brimming with talented chip on the shoulder guys that were supposed to be busts like DHB and DMAC and with a fiery leader behind center giving us our identity, sky’s the limit

morilla Says:
    September 21st, 2010 at 5:59 pm
    Campbell was given the staring job in camp. He never earned it.

We don’t have time to develop anyone anymore. We need to win and now.
    ——————————————————-

so dam true man, for real

• TerrapinRaider

Seriously, if Campbell was in the game there’s a serious chance the offense would have continued to look absolutely dismal – as it did for his entire 6Qs. I had no hope at that time that things would change.

The O just had no rhythm. Bruce came in and it all changed.

Campbell’s not even getting good use out of Miller. Bruce is getting good use out of all of them. You just can’t keep losing. You lose your team. You have to win games. Period!

• Mistabr0wn

lmao

• inonewordraider

I felt like he made some plays with his feet, took hits and got up like he always does, avoided a lot of mistakes, and managed the game. With a bad oline very young drop prone receivers I think he deserved the chance to figure it out and pull out a win. He also has the best tools of our QBs and although I am glad Bruce is at the healm because of the spark he’s brought the team I don’t think we as fans should have called JC out so soon when the guys been such a pro. I know I’m pretty alone on this one, then again I didn’t like the booing Russell was getting last year because it doesn’t help our teams confidence and therefore chance of winning

• severeraiderz

inonewordraider Says:
    September 21st, 2010 at 5:55 pm
    ////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Very good question

• http://Raiders4Ever.com 860Todd Christensen

Inone, I agree, but until Jason puts points on the board, scrambles to get it done behind this pourous O-line, that by the way is Cables forte, I have got to go with Bruce, look at the numbers, they don’t lie!

• Mistabr0wn

Thats why I said let JC start against the Cards. Put him on a short leash. Let him tie his own rope. Split reps with Bruce. You probably only need 1 quarter to see if he is on his game. If he stumbles in comes Bruce!

Sign me up for the start JC with a short leash list..

• Mistabr0wn

KKKell, what are you talking about? Nobody scolds me. Especially a female.

And If I want to play with it thats my business. Nobody can stop me.
    :D

What did your wife tell you about being a blog fixture 18hrs a day ?

• hendu

KK,I think you live in Ca,no? Im not sure what youre talkin about Starbucks for,but you best under stand you/we live in the Wild Wild West, no? Think Im on point! ps,yea,youre not goin see 6 shooters in Oakland,its banana clips and any clip,period post482 thats what the fellas roll with,get real

• http://Raiders4Ever.com 860Todd Christensen

Mista, til this O-line is fixed, bench Campbell, he is of no use, he is gun shy, doesn’t believe in his line for a pocket, with good rights, and our O-line is going to destroy QB’s all this year. That is fact, and may take out our RB’s as well, depending on how well other teams read us.

• TerrapinRaider

Mistabr0wn Says:
    September 21st, 2010 at 6:20 pm

Sign me up for the start JC with a short leash list..

************************

Nah ..you can’t turn back. Gradkowski earned the start – that simple. Let Campbell earn it back.

• Mistabr0wn

Who do you know that refers to a woman as “handsome” ?

_____

# KoolKell Says:
    September 21st, 2010 at 6:13 pm

Fatt Kidd

She’s a handsome woman.

• severeraiderz

hendu Says:
    September 21st, 2010 at 6:23 pm
    /////////////////////////////////////////////////////

If someone has a .22, .25, or snub nose .38 you would never know they were packin

• Mistabr0wn

Still LMAO!!! A 70yr old woman at that! KKKell, you are a piece of FK’ng work!

:D

• http://www.car.org KoolKell

Hendu

Sorry, yeah there’s a few groups out here in the Bay Area for open carry rights. They go posing out in Walnut Creek ( a conservative area east of the Bay) in Starbucks, too funny.

I never see those people in Oakland or SF. Just sayin, I think those people….weird.

• TerrapinRaider

Need I say, last game is exactly why Mike Mitchell should be in!

Hits matter. Physicality matters! The whole teams feeds off of it.

Once the phyical hits started it lit a spark and that when the Raiders began to physcially dominate the Rams. Everybody started to get in.

This is what the coaches (and maybe Al) is missing when it comes to Mitchell.

Mitchell probably won’t do any worse than Branch in coverage at this point.

• 8RaiderReign8

Super sike!!!!

• Mistabr0wn

476&477

If the mood of the team is favoring Bruce. If they have more confidence in Bruce. If Bruce is a better leader. If JC doesn’t have the fire and he has folded his tent Im in agreement with you.

If JC still has the teams confidence & respect you give him another shot even if its 1/2 more quarters. At this stage of the season we can afford him that.

As derelict as Cable is, he has a better view of the situation than we do!

• http://Raiders4Ever.com 860Todd Christensen

Mista, she could provide Kell with financial security way beyound his wifes means, he would even leave the barbershop for Nancy!

• TerrapinRaider

The Raiders need a more physical presence that would light up the opponent. I think McClain is coming around to see this. He’s actually playing more and more physical each week since preseason. The defense would feed off of it.

Install Mitchell on more snaps, get the crowd amped, get the defense amped b/c they would want some skin too.

• Mistabr0wn

The only people against armed law abiding citizens are punks, thief’s, Democrats, and tyrants.

• http://www.car.org KoolKell

Brownstains

You obviously have no respect or appreciation of women, so……..I guess that’s one of your problems, why you’re so unhappy.

On the other hand, I love women, and it comes back to me.

Yeah, that’s a handsome 70yr old woman.

• fat kidd

KoolKell Says:
    September 21st, 2010 at 6:35 pm
    Brownstains

On the other hand, I love women, and it comes back to me.

Yeah, that’s a handsome 70yr old woman.

………….he likes women ma thumb and her four daughters……

• http://Raiders4Ever.com 860Todd Christensen

OUT, had enough, later RAIDERS FANS!

• TownRaider510

S Stevie Brown, WR Jonathan Holland were waived.

• TerrapinRaider

Mistabr0wn Says:
    September 21st, 2010 at 6:32 pm
    476&477

As derelict as Cable is, he has a better view of the situation than we do!

*************************

I submit that we cannot afford Campbell that priviledge. This team has loss too many games and needs to turn this around to change the mindset of these players. Winning does that. And if so, when Campbell does come in he has a much more confident team around him. A team that knows how to win. We need to change the mindset now.

• Mistabr0wn

If not having a chubby for a 70yr old women on her 20th face lift, eyes the size of ping pong balls, and dumb as dirt qualifies as not appreciating women then I am guilty as charged.

U idiot.

• http://www.car.org KoolKell

Mistabr0wn Says:
    September 21st, 2010 at 6:40 pm

If not having a chubby for a 70yr old women on her 20th face lift,
    ———————————
    ?????? WTf are you talking about, dummy?

• TerrapinRaider

I’m just pumped about what DHB “could” have done to the Rams! And pumped about what DMC is doing now! You get these two guys going and fix that line you have one helluva thing to try to stop!

• fat kidd

Mistabr0wn Says:
    September 21st, 2010 at 6:40 pm

If not having a chubby for a 70yr old women on her 20th face lift,

……………………i am talking about the nancy pelosi who is the speaker of the house,the attractive women with natural beauty, firm ripe breasts a a$$ so nice i would wear it as a hat………..who are you talking about?

• hendu

474,severeraiderz,see youre point! I believe Bobby Kennedy and MLK were killed by 22 caliber weapons.That said,change of topic, Raiders! This mornin, knbr were already putting the Raiders as a Niner win,cant wait! Much money waiting from niner fans

• fat kidd

The first ever UFL sellout
    Posted by Mike Florio on September 21, 2010 7:47 PM ET
    At a time when more than a few NFL teams are struggling to sell all of the tickets to their games, one of the five UFL teams has managed to fill up the home stadium in the franchise’s debut.

The UFL announced today that the Omaha Nighthawks have sold all seats to Friday night’s game against the Hartford Colonials.

Sure, Rosenblatt Stadium holds only 24,000 — but that will still beat the league’s regular-season attendance record by nearly 10,000.

The Omaha roster includes plenty of players with NFL experience, including Wendell Bryant, Maurice Clarett (OK, Clarett really doesn’t have much NFL experience), Ricardo Colclough, Damion Cook, Devard Darling, Dusty Dvoracek, Robert Ferguson, George Foster, Jeff Garcia, Charles Grant, Ahman Green, Morlon Greenwood, Cate June, Jeb Putzier, Aaron Rouse, Stuart Schweigert, D.J. Shockley, and Gary Stills.

The game will be televised on HDNet at 7:00 p.m. ET. The Colonials are 1-0; Omaha didn’t play in Week One.

• JB

I see they waived Stevie Brown, S and Johnathan Holland, WR. I thought Stevie Brown was a player. Many were placing him ahead of Hiram Eugene. What happened? If two go off two must be added. Who’s been added?

• aloha

WE NEED COLT BRENNAN BACK!!!

• aloha

Get rid of Boller or Jason, and bring back Colt Brennan. Let’s be done with failed players. While Grad is our best bet now, Colt Brennan could be our future. Wake up Raider Nation!

• Pingback: ear plugs