Asomugha faces his mirror image

If the Raiders are ever going to have Nnamdi Asomugha shadow the opposition’s best receiver, there is no time like the present.

In Larry Fitzgerald, Asomugha at some point will come face to face with the receiver whose skill set is most like his own. Over the next two games, Asomugha and the Raiders get Larry Fitzgerald and Andre Johnson in succession.

“There is a handful of elite guys _ probably like five guys you’ll put up there, and these two are obviously at the top of that list,” Asomugha said when asked if he was facing the NFL’s two best receivers in successive weeks.

What makes Fitzgerald so good?

“Jut being able to play big and small, regardless of his size. A lot of times you get guys that areas big that can’t move,” Asomugha said, noting that Fitzgerald can move like smaller receivers such as Santana Moss and Wes Welker. “He’s got good hips, good breaks, all the stuff a smaller guy can do and he’s got the height to do with what big guys do. That puts him in his own class.”

Fitzgerald’s scouting report on Asomugha sounded like Asomugha’s scouting report on Fitzgerald. Fitzgerald, at 6-foot-3, 218 pounds, isn’t used to having a cornerback (Asomugha is 6-2, 210) looking him directly in the eyes.

“The thing you see on tape for a man of his size, he has incredible hips and amazingly quick feet, and that’s just God given ability to be that tall and be able to move and cut and drive on balls the way he’s able to,” Fitzgerald said.

“You can tell he’s really a student of the game because he really understands formations and tendencies of the receivers he’s playing on a week to week basis.”

Fitzgerald and Asomugha are friends but their matchups have been limited to a few snaps in preseason and the Pro Bowl. When the Raiders played the Cardinals in 2006, Fitzgerald missed the game due to injury.

The question is whether the Raiders will actually have Asomugha guard Fitzgerald the majority of the time regardless of how the Cardinals line up on offense.

“I won’t get outside of what the call is and what the game plan is, but sure, here and there, I’ll be on him,” Asomugha said.

Although the defensive game plan will rest with John Marshall, Cable, when assessing the pros and cons of having Asomugha shadow a star receiver, sounded as if he is all for the idea.

“The pros are you feel confident about having your corner cover their receiver,” Cable said. “It puts him in a matchup that allows him to study that guy, prepare for that guy. I am not sure there are any negatives. The only thing is if you’re doing something the guy is not capable of doing. In this case, he is more than capable.”

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• Bauce 4 Real

ATDHE.com as well No Mas

• MistaBr0wn

Pacino, maybe.
    Peschi, no!

• http://www.safc.com/page/StadiumofLightDetail/0,,10281~1706060,00.html neilb
  • Bauce 4 Real

MistaBr0wn Says:
    September 26th, 2010 at 9:15 am
    KKKell you aren’t a professional anything. Your a hack & a nitwit.

*****************************

LOL Mista dont be so hard on the old man….let him have his fun. It is unusual to see him in a good mood

• http://www.safc.com/page/StadiumofLightDetail/0,,10281~1706060,00.html neilb
  • http://www.car.org KoolKell

No Mas Diamante Says:
    September 26th, 2010 at 9:11 am

Can someone tell me again where I can watch games on the internet? Something like adhte .com. stuck at work and cant find it.
    ———————————–

That’s the best one I know, baby.

• MistaBr0wn

Bauce is he in a good mood or has he gone over the edge?

You know he’s been borderline for quite a while now…

• Bauce 4 Real

MistaBr0wn Says:
    September 26th, 2010 at 9:15 am
    Pacino, maybe.
    Peschi, no!

***********************

You dont think James Woods can do it? I personally dont know who could better imitate Al like that guy. He is a pure dkhead who will say some cold shhhht to folks. Remember his BAUCEome role in “Any Given Sunday”?

• morilla

God, I can’t stand Sapp.

• Bauce 4 Real

MistaBr0wn Says:
    September 26th, 2010 at 9:17 am
    Bauce is he in a good mood or has he gone over the edge?

You know he’s been borderline for quite a while now…

************************

Yeah I cant tell these days with the old guy. He may have took something overseas that hasnt left his body yet

• http://www.car.org KoolKell

MistaBr0wn Says:
    September 26th, 2010 at 9:15 am

KKKell you aren’t a professional anything. Your a hack & a nitwit.
    ===========================
    Aren’t you ever a good boy? ;-)

• Plunketthead

I think Casserly is a good GM. He put the team together that we see now, made the decision to take Mario instead of Reggie or VY and took a lot of heat.

• MistaBr0wn

Yah woods is good but we dont need a movie we got a live circus 12 months a year right here in our backyard!

• Norco Bob

Brian my brother,..keep me hip today,…leavin this wifi spot here about 1:00…(Orlando time)….your texts needed today,..hey I think I have you hooked up for Houston,..stay tuned.

• MistaBr0wn

On occasions..
    ____

KoolKell Says:
    September 26th, 2010 at 9:19 am

Aren’t you ever a good boy?

• http://www.safc.com/page/StadiumofLightDetail/0,,10281~1706060,00.html neilb

There’s only one person to play Al.

Jack Nicholson.

• Bauce 4 Real

morilla Says:
    September 26th, 2010 at 9:19 am
    God, I can’t stand Sapp.

********************************

Yeah Mo…..i use to enjoy watching NFLN on sunday morning but hearing Sapp talk about anything is annoying. I can tell he is a punk and cant really throw down. Remember when that rookie Raiders white lineman whipped his ass in training camp? Ive heard from many that Sapp is arrogant but backs down when he knows he cant beat you up. Coward

• MistaBr0wn

KKKell looks to be in the mood to hump another mans leg today!

• Bauce 4 Real

Plunketthead Says:
    September 26th, 2010 at 9:19 am

************************

That last part of your post is correct

• MistaBr0wn

Neil good call I forgot about Jack!

• Bauce 4 Real

MistaBr0wn Says:
    September 26th, 2010 at 9:20 am
    ******************

Ouch

• http://www.car.org KoolKell

MistaBr0wn Says:
    September 26th, 2010 at 9:22 am

KKKell looks to be in the mood to hump another mans leg today!
    ——————————
    You looking for some? ;-)

• http://www.safc.com/page/StadiumofLightDetail/0,,10281~1706060,00.html neilb

…..and Ray Winstone would play Cable!

• Norco Bob

Before I go,..heres my 5 team parlay I did at Mont Bleu for this week,…

Bengals -3.5
    Chiefs + 2.5
    Cowboys +2.5
    Colts -6.5
    Raiders + 4.5

There ya have it….cya!

• morilla

Him and Irvin were just clowning on the Raiders. Nothing new for those two, I really hope the silver and black bring their A game today. Its time these douche bags shut their mouths.

• http://www.car.org KoolKell

Norco Bob Says:
    September 26th, 2010 at 9:20 am

————————————–
    Anybody but a troll, would have textded? him. ;-)

• No Mas Diamante

Thanks for the links guys.

• MistaBr0wn

Kell just made me puke.

• Plunketthead

Thanks no mas

B
    Yeah black outs were part of it, but passing out in the bar and other strange places became more common.

Drinking quit working and I was no longer a young party animal having fun.
    I was miserable, ex had left and I looked in the mirror and saw an miserable old drunk.

• Norco Bob

Kell,..enjoy your Jap wine and relax.

• http://www.safc.com/page/StadiumofLightDetail/0,,10281~1706060,00.html neilb

Game time.

Have a good ‘un everyone!

• MistaBr0wn

Kell go to Safeway and chase parked shopping carts.

• MistaBr0wn

Neil what game is starting now?

• http://www.aflciodental.com/unions/IBEW.png r8eray

Bauce,
    Bbbrrruuuucccccee!!!!!!!!

;)

• morilla

Go Seahawks, Niners and Colts.

• SaintKaufman

Have a great day you knuckleheads!

Go RAIDERS!!!!!!

• http://www.car.org KoolKell

We’ll scout the 49er/KC game today.

• MistaBr0wn

I cant bring myself to root for the 9ers but we do need them to handle KC.

Quandry.

• StayinBlack

Win the turnover battle Raiders win this game. D should come out on fire!

• Plunketthead

Jerry wake up and throw us a bone

• fat kidd

JaMarcus Russell works with former NBA player, coach John Lucas
    Posted by Michael David Smith on September 26, 2010 11:31 AM ET
    John Lucas had a promising career as the first player selected in the 1976 NBA draft and saw that career derailed by drug abuse. But Lucas beat his drug problems and later became an NBA head coach, and now Lucas is working as a coach for another troubled first overall draft pick in a different sport.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Lucas is serving as a “life coach” for former Raiders quarterback JaMarcus Russell.

According to Schefter, Lucas is getting directly involved in making sure Russell gets himself into shape, with daily morning workouts that apparently have Russell in better shape than he was with the Raiders. (Not that that’s saying much.)

The big question is whether getting himself into shape is going to be enough for Russell to get himself a second chance in the NFL.

• http://www.car.org KoolKell

Big Banana?

Raiders 30-14.

• LT DAN

First Sunday off since Aug and my daughter has a soccer game at the same time the RAIDERS game starts. What luck.

• http://www.car.org KoolKell

Dmac, Mike Bush vs. worst Run D in the league?

Rumble young man, Rumble.

• LT DAN

20 17 RAIDERS

• Plunketthead

I bet we come out passing. Its Beys Day to shine

• http://www.car.org KoolKell

Anybody been to church, this mornin?

• http://Www.bullycains.com r8dercain

Hate the niners but gotta scout the game. You’re rite kk

• beach

49ers are dog doo doo!

• beach

The Chiefs keep running the same screen play and it works every time!