Cable Q&A

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Monday, September 27th, 2010 at 6:43 pm in Oakland Raiders.

A transcription of Tom Cable’s press briefing with Bay Area media today:

OK, before we start, the team and I, the coaches, would like to send our hearts, thoughts and our prayers to the George Blanda family. Obviously, that’s a tremendous loss for the entire Raider family. I got a chance to meet him in Chicago for the first time. So, for me, to meet one of your heroes was a pretty special deal. I just felt like I’d like to open it up that way.

OK, let’s talk about the game now. As I talked to the team, we need to really evaluate the last 30 minutes prior to the last play of the game because that’s where we lost the game. We didn’t lose the game on a kick. We lost the game in not doing more in the last 30 minutes to put ourselves in position to not have to go through all that. We left so many plays out there on the field offensively. The players, coaches, we would all tell you the same thing: 1 for 5 in the red zone is not good enough. It’s totally unacceptable. There’s so much out there that we’re bothered by it, we’re kind of mad about it right now, just because we had a tremendous opportunity, and we really did not take advantage of it. We will. We have to.

Our defense continues to improve. The negative there, in my opinion, as I mentioned to you, too many pass interference calls and illegal contact calls. There’s going to be some of that, but not that many. For a while there, that was really Arizona’s offense. But they ran the ball for too much average. They didn’t run it for a lot, but too much average. Their explosiveness with their offense was through their running game, and that’s too much. Offensively, we left way too much on the field. We’re moving the ball well. We’re showing some explosiveness. We’re showing the ability to run the ball with some consistency but we’ve got to get that ball in the end zone in somebody’s hands.

The kicking game, really became the difference in the game. Not because of the last play but when you open up the game not getting off a block and two guys miss a tackle, that should not have been a big return at all. That’s pretty disappointing. So, we continue to work. The things that I’m real proud of. We’ve done got over the hump. We’re no longer soft or not tough or can’t come from behind, whatever that is. Hell, we spotted them a touchdown and answered it right away and kept on playing. I like the mentality of our team a ton. It’s just getting us over the hump here to be as good as I think we can be.

Q: How do you get over the hump in the red zone?

Cable: We’ll spend, really, we’ve already started on it, but that’s one of the things that we’re going to really evaluate critically here in the next 48 hours. That, and third down again was kind of an Achilles heel for us a little bit. But, we will tear it apart and find out if we need more balance, if we need to go one way or the other more than the other, whatever. But we’ll certainly do that, because the plays are there. We’re just not making them, that’s the bottom line.

Q: Does the red-zone inefficiency have anything to do with your
offensive line?

Cable: Well, actually , yesterday was pretty good for them. We had two sacks, but the run game was solid. There was a couple of critical things that I would rather not have happened. In terms of time, there was a number of times he’s back there patting it, patting it, reading from one side to the other. We seemed to be getting some improved play. Not by leaps and bounds but incrementally we’re getting better at some spots there. So, I wouldn’t put that on them at all.

Q: What did the Cards do to take away Zach Miller?

Cable: We missed a couple throws to him. The one in the far corner, we had a smaller guy on him, might get a jump ball kind of throw. We missed one in the seam, overthrew it. I don’t know if it was so much them taking it away but it’s an example of what I’m talking about. We left plays out there. I think he should have caught two more touchdowns, I guess that’s
what I’m saying. Have to throw the ball a little bit better and maybe a better route on one of them but that’s the details I’m talking about when I say we’re leaving too much offense out there.

Q: Eleven passes to Heyward-Bey . . . because of the coverage, a coincidence? . . .

Cable: I think it’s more of what they were doing. Rogers-Cromartie is a very good player but it was apparent right away that the matchup was OK. Darrius could handle him as well as Louis. With what they were doing coverage-wise with Louis and Zach, it gave us the opportunity and Darius the opportunity to have some chances. And that was good, it was a good matchup.

Q: Your impressions of Nnamdi’s matchup with Fitzgerald?

Cable: Awesome.

Q: Going forward with Nnamdi vs Andre Johnson?

Cable: I’m proud of Nnamdi. He took the challenge and went after it, and played him tough all game. If you watch his body language he was really into it. He looked forward to it and prepared himself and certainly the outcome showed that. As we get ready to go with Houston and Andre Johnson coming in here, then we’ll talk about that. You have to take your hat off to him. Excellent, excellent game.

Q: If you had a do-over, would you leave Asomugha 1 on 1 with Fitzgerald on the TD?

Cable: Down there because you’re on the short field you’re kind of limited as to how you want to do that. History-wise, the last three or four years we’ve been an excellent red zone defense but they were 2-for-2. The short field puts you in different types of coverage. It doesn’t have to but history says we’re pretty good playing that coverage down there.

Q: Why the continued problem with penalties?

Cable: As I said to them, I gave them the analogy that every one of us in life has wanted something so bad when they’re a little kid, even as adults. And you want it and you want it so bad and you’re so focused on the want to and getting it that you forget how to get it. I just feel right now as we continue to grow and get to where we want to be as a team, we still have to pay attention to the details and the discipline that it takes for those details to work. The penalties are an example of that.

Q: What happened on the delay of game?

Cable: At the 1-yard line?

Q: Yes . . .

Cable: Really the clock was running down. Made the assumption that the quarterback would get time out and we wouldn’t have an issue. He didn’t and when I tried to it was too late.

Q: How important for Darren to back it up for another week? Three good games in a row . . .

Cable: It does show that he is doing some good things. But it also shows that people around him are doing very good things too. I’m very pleased. As a team we need people like that to step up for us. I think we’re getting that. I just know where we’re headed and we’re so darned close. Now we just have to get over the hump here the last little bit. His play and what he’s brought to the table here the first three weeks is very good.

Q: Did Bush not get many carries because of his health or Darren’s production?

Cable: Yes and yes. It’s all of that. Think about it, he really hasn’t taken a shot since before the injury. We wanted to get him back in and get him hit a little bit and for him to be able to say, ‘I’m OK.’ He’s OK now and obviously Darren has had the hot hand.

Q: How is Seymour’s health _ he talked about his hamstring issues _ will he be limited this week?

Cable: We’ll see what he is on Wednesday and kind of determine then in terms of a plan for the week. Everybody is pretty sore today, especially after you lose something like that at the end there. It maybe hurts a little worse. Twenty-four, 48 hours, it will feel a little better and we’ll move forward.

Q: What do you say to Seabass?

Cable: I told him I love him and I’d go to him again in the same situation and he’d probably have to win two or three games just like that for us this year and he’ll probably do it. To me, what’s important is he was out early this morning kicking balls. What do you do? When you get a setback, you analyze it, you look at it and you say how can I fix it and you go to work. And he did that.

Q: He usually does not kick on a Monday?

Cable: No.

Q: How did left tackles do?

Cable: Again, both of them up and down. Both allowed a sack, both had a penalty. They both did some really good things too. It would be nice to eliminate the sacks and the penalties. I think we can do that. I really think we’re close with both of them.

Q: Is Walker hurt?

Cable: He’s got a sore elbow. We’ll go through all that on Wednesday. It doesn’t look to be anything serious at this point.

Q: Mitchell got some time in base defense as a strong safety, is he making a push for a starting job?

Cable: No, actually it was more because of guys getting knocked out – Walter McFadden. So we put Huff at corner in some nickel stuff, Tyvon was playing some free as well as some strong, put Mike in there for a few snaps. It was really just out of need.

Q: Plan on keeping Stevie Brown on the roster?

Cable: Well, I hope so. We’ll see. We’ve got some other decisions to make about other things in the next couple of days.

Q: How would you evaluate the pass rush?

Cable: I felt like we were hot and cold. Remember this about Houston. They can run it. They can run it for real like big boys. If they have to throw it, they will throw it all over the yard. If that’s the case, then we’re going to have to crank up that pass rush.

• aig-raiders

aig-raiders Says:
    September 27th, 2010 at 6:43 pm
    Priest,

BS. Actually I am pointing out that you and Debo are homers. You guys defend black QB’s regardless of their actions and performance. You and Debo thought that the Raiders were not patient enough with Jawalrus. Only a homer would think that and ignore all of Jawalrus’ personal issues.

I’m sure JC is a great guy but he cannot lead men and play QB in the NFL. That is a proven fact.

• Mistabr0wn

tj, what was your pet name for Russell, Black Moses? Just checking..

No reply necessary!
    _______

priesttj Says:
    September 27th, 2010 at 6:37 pm

Mystic1

AIG is obsessed with the color of the QB’s skin rather than his talent.

• http://www.car.org KoolKell

Aig-Raiders Says:
    September 27th, 2010 at 6:43 pm

Priest,

BS. Actually I am pointing out that you and Debo are homers
    ————————————-
    Al is God??? Homers??????????????

• http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=eb53t3&s=5&hid=3&tag=my+pool Lynn from Snot

better keep Stevie Brown

• Mistabr0wn

This moron keeps repeating the same delusional BS! Maybe tj is his speech writer.

• aig-raiders

KK,

The one thing people keep on missing out is so what we are 2nd and goal at the 6 yd line. We still ahve 2 more downs to get it done. Are you telling me 6yds out and we gonna get scared? Run the frickin ball and pound it down their throat. Dmac was running great. A misdirection pitch like Dmac perhaps? We have the worst pass protect Oline and they kept on chucking it up there. But hey these black defenders will tell you that Hue called a great game.

• aig-raiders

KK,

I’ve been on here calling Al an idiot. Dont let the name fool you just because I’m an atheist.

• Norco Bob

Mike Mitchell will be released by tomorrow.

• http://www.car.org KoolKell

I don’t want to talk about anybody’s color.

Run the damned football.

• Norco Bob

Whomever scouted Mike Mitchell and suggested he be drafted should not be allowed Youtube access for a year.

• Mistabr0wn

DMAC ran the ball 25 times for 105 yards – OFFICIALLY!

What is rattling around inside that empty head of yours?
    ______

# KoolKell Says:
    September 27th, 2010 at 6:50 pm

I don’t want to talk about anybody’s color.

Run the damned football.

• http://www.car.org KoolKell

Brownstains,

34 pass attempts, 28 rush attempts. Against a team giving 155 yds per game on the ground.

• priesttj

Cable didn’t say as much but he is puutting this squarely on Grads. he didn’t throw him under the bus but what happened in the redzone was the difference.

• Norco Bob

Is JC gettin job back for sunday TJ?…I hope he does,..please call Gary in the morning and suggest it,..I got you back in,..its ok.

• priesttj

Oh and Grads can win games and lead men? and by what do you make that determination. Gradkowski hasn’t done squat yet boy. Yet he’s your hero. Jason Campbell is up in the air with me I’m not sure about him at all and have said so many times. I am nuetral between Grads and JC until one of them distinguishes himself. That hasn’t happened yet to my knowledge.

• SilverSurfer

Ugly day in RaiderVille. Fans watch hC gone want OC gone want oline gone, want dirt infield gone, want al gone, want refs gone, want this heat gone.
    ugly, ugly day in Raiderville

• priesttj

Norco Bob

Tell your uncle Gary I said hi, but I aint calling KNBR no time soon. Thanks for the interest…

• SilverSurfer

Can you call gary for me to?

• SilverSurfer

wait, who’s gary?

• SilverSurfer

revised outlook=4-12.
    that’s not right, somehow

• olinesux

screw that henderson was awful again!!! cable is blind or henderson must have some pictures of him doing something….

• SilverSurfer

i posted and everyone left.
    i showered today. can’t be that

• aig-raiders

TJ,

Let’s see here. When Grad had significant opportunities to play for Raiders, let’s see what he did.

He relieved Jawalrus against KC and was driving us down the field to win the game and DHB coughed up the pass to end the game. Check.

He was able to pull out a win vs the Bengals last year on the final drive. Check.

He lost in Dallas but we were never embarrassed like we were with JC or Jawalrus. Check.

He brought us back and set a record for throwing 3 come from behind TD’s in Pitt.

He absolutely motivated the team and made the first down to ice the game against the Rams. Check

On the money drive, he made the 4th down conversion and drove us down on the money drive to set up Jano a 32 yd chipshot to win the game. Check.

Do you see a trend here? Do you see the ability to lead men and get it done in a pressure situation? Do you see that the man is clutch?

• SilverSurfer

kwame harris or mario?
    like asking if you want a 400 lb masseuse or a 500 lb masseuse. either way your dead meat

• SilverSurfer

last I checked most qb’s get a full year or two to learn the craft.
    how long as Bruce had? less than a year of starting

• RADRNATN

Q: What happened on the delay of game?

Cable: At the 1-yard line?

Q: Yes . . .

man cable is an idiot

• http://www.car.org KoolKell

The Man in Charge is Al Davis. period!

• olinesux

the only guy who would choose either of thise guys is cable…

• http://www.car.org KoolKell

Dumbest Team In Football, year in, and year out!

• http://www.car.org KoolKell

Dumbest Team In Football, year in, and year out!

That’s on Al Davis.

• http://www.car.org KoolKell

Dumbest Team
    Most Penalized Team
    Worst Coaching
    Worst Losing Team.
    Least Valuable
    Least Tickets sold.

That’s on Al Davis

• djohnnyg

TOM CABLE: “I’m paid to win ball games”

————-

Then do it and shut up!

• pFunk

“Q: Penalties, WTF?”

REALLY? Is this an actual transcript question? If so, who asked it? That’s hilarious.

• ArmChair GM

# priesttj Says:
    September 27th, 2010 at 7:03 pm

_______________________________________________________
    Both QB’s have had 6 quarters to show their stuff.

Grads won the game against St. Louis. If you can’t see that then you’re blind.

Grads has also gotten far better production out of DHB than Campbell did over 6 quarters. If you can’t see that you’re blind.

Now I agree with you on 1 point. Neither QB has taken the starting job and run with it yet.

But trying to tell me that Grads hasn’t outplayed Campbell is like trying to tell us that Whoopi Goldberg looks like Halle Berry.

Just stop it please.

• olinesux

henderson is dumbest player in nfl….

• djohnnyg

JanoCrapSki can practice all he wants but he’ll still be a choker when the pressure’s on.

New Orleans’ kicker misses a game winner and they tryout a replacement. Oakland’s kicker misses game winner and the coach tells him he “love’s him”.

New Orleans=Winners
    Oakland=Losers

• SilverSurfer

does cable remind anyone of shrek with smaller ears?
    or is that just me

• olinesux

henderson=lazy

• ArmChair GM

# djohnnyg Says:
    September 27th, 2010 at 7:30 pm

New Orleans=Winners
    Oakland=Losers
    _____________________________________________________

Bottom line there guys. Winners vs Losers.

M Henderson sensitive and mushy. Janikowski needs to be reassured of love.

Is this a football team or a freaking Boys Scout group. These fools get paid don’t they? Get out there and do your job!

• raiderzmaverick

The #1 tackler on our team now is Tyvon Branch. How is a safety have more tackles than anyone else still?

I guess still people are getting far frequently, as he also left a lot of tackles on the field.

• olinesux

yeah teams get their identities from their coach and that is why henderson is such a girl…..

• SilverSurfer

do u know why I like cable??

neither do I

• SilverSurfer

# ArmChair GM Says:
    September 27th, 2010 at 7:35 pm

_____________________________________________________

Bottom line there guys. Winners vs Losers.

M Henderson sensitive and mushy. Janikowski needs to be reassured of love.

#########
    they didn’t ask for it. the hc decided he gets more with honey thang

• SilverSurfer

I might just make the best caramel corn in the country.

somethings just need to be said

• priesttj

Armchair you are full of yourself the difference between Grads and JC is very close. So just get a clue. Grads hasn’t been no where near what yolu propport him to be. I aint blind and I know of which I speak. I did say that Campbell looked unsure of himself so I’m not sold on him either.

Either guy can take that job as far as I’m concerned now you can keep looking at Grads like he’s Halle Berry if you want to but I DON”T SEE IT. Me thinks YOU need the glasses. Grads is VERY average at best. So go sell that crap to the next 5 year old you see, if you can tell the difference.

This is an open job if Grads plays as he did last Sunday. I wnat a QB capable of consistent play at a level that’s acceptable or better and until we get that, we wont win………..period

Now hopefully that guy is on this team, but if he’s not we need to keep looking until he is. So Stop trying to force Gradkowski down my throat because I aint BUYING it.

• 8RaiderReign8

After all the angst has worn off I, with clear mind, can say we are making positive gains. We now have to focus, focus, focus.

• aig-raiders

Priest 6 quarters with the same supporting cast… 16 vs 36 is in Joe Biden’s words…a Bif Fn Deal

Priest 2 quarters vs the same opponent, same game and same supporting cast……3 vs 13 points.

I’d say that’s a big difference.

• ArmChair GM

Priest If you’re gonna quote my words, do so honestly.

You conveniently left out the part where I agreed with you that NEITHER QB has taken the starting job and seized it by the throat yet.

But your insistence that Gradkowski hasn’t played better than Campbell is appalling. We all can see that over the exact same period of football quarters played, Grads has put 36 points on the board to Campbell’s 13!

If the freaking kicker makes the point we win. In Tennessee we didn’t even have a chance to win.

I expect more from you Priest. Your stubbornness takes away from a lot of the good points that you do make.

• raidertay

It was a fluke kick. Seabass has won plenty of games for us. Expecially some of those KC games in which he was the only person putting pts on the board. Id go wit SeaBass at the 32 any day of the week. The guy is a good kicker. Yest just wasnt a good day. HAppens to the best of us. I honestly still believe we have one of the best kickers in the league.

How many in here wanted to cut the TV off after the opening kickoff. Im proud of this team and the way they battled back. I just hope they can shake this game off and get ready for a tough HOU team.

• raidertay

We are a WAAAY better team with Grads. Its not even close.