Kelly shrugs off defensive ranking

Defensive tackle Tommy Kelly seemed amused when asked about the Raiders’ status as the No. 2 (tied) ranked defense in the NFL.

The same stat caught the attention of Houston coach Gary Kubiak, who made mention of it more than once while talking with Bay Area reporters.

Through three games, Oakland is giving up 260.7 yards per game _ tied with Green Bay for second place behind Baltimore (244.3).

“We’ve got to play more attention to detail, a little more focus on every snap,” Kelly said. “We’re really good, stop, stop, stop _ then they pop one. That’s frustrating.”

Yet through three games, anyway, yardage is undeniably down.

“It’s down, but what’s the end result?,” Kelly said. “You’re still walking off that field with your head between your legs, so hurt because you lost. I mean, we’re getting better, y’all can see that. But we’ve got a long way to go before we’re a No. 1 defense.”

If the Raiders can actually maintain their defensive ranking after facing Houston, Kelly will be more impressed. The Texans are fourth in the NFL in total offense (407.0 yards per game) _ one of only teams averaging the same figure the Raiders have attained exactly once in the last 77 games.

The Texans have one of the NFL’s top passers in Matt Schaub, and a sudden star in running back Arian Foster, who emerged from practice squad obscurity and leads the league with 406 yards rushing.
“I think, if we slow these boys down it’ll be a little more indication of how we is as a defense,” Kelly said. “This is a big opportunity. You say you’re the No. 2, No. 3 defense in the league, let’s see it on Sunday.

Mario knows Mario

Mario Henderson is struggling to hold on to his starting job at left tackle, splitting time with rookie Jared Veldheer.

Not exactly the best time to face with Mario Williams, the No. 1 pick of the 2006 draft and one of the premiere players at his position against both the run and pass.

Or maybe it’s the perfect time.

Henderson got his first NFL start in Week 16 against Williams, replacing Kwame Harris at left tackle. He effectively controlled Williams throughout the game, and it remains one of Henderson’s best games as a starting lineman.

“Normally guys his size don’t have that much speed and quickness, and that’s the thing that makes him different from almost every guy in the league is the fact that most guys that are tall like him are kind of slow, but he’s extremely quick and has very long arms,” Henderson said. “He knows how to use all three, size speed and quickness.”

Having some success in the bank can’t hurt.

“I just go back and watch film and kind of know how to play him a little bit,” Henderson said. That’s a good thing. I can use that.”

Seabass: Bad hold

Sebastian Janikowski headed directly to his locker and waited for a group of reporters to finish talking to Zach Miller, figuring he’d be better off answering quesitons about one of the low points of his professional career than avoiding it.

As they started to arrive, Janikowski said, looked at Shane Lechler and said, “Bad hold!,” an indication he hasn’t lost his sense of humor.

Lechler’s hold on the 32-yard field goal attempt, as well as on Janikowski’s other three misses, was perfect.

“I was disappointed, I mean shocked, you know? It happens,” Janikowski said. “I can’t change anything but, going into warm-ups, like I was talking to Shane, I was 20-for-20, with 63-yarders both way. And, you go in the game you feel so good about it, ah, I can make any kick. And this thing happens. So, you’ve just gotta move on. Next page.”

Said Janikowski of the support he received from coach Tom Cable as well as his teammates: “It’s nice to know I’ve got guys behind me. I’ve got to apologize to everybody _ Al Davis, the players, the fans. So, you know, come home this weekend, and kick a winner.”

Recalling a game in 2001 when he missed three three field goal attempts and the Raiders lost 13-10, Janikowski mused, “Every 10 years, something happens.”

Pre-practice notes

As warmups and drills concluded, there was no sign of right guard Robert Gallery (hamstring), defensive tackle Richard Seymour (hamstring) and wide receiver Chaz Schilens knee.

Those on the field but not practicing included wide receiver Louis Murphy and wide receiver and safety Hiram Eugene (hamstring). Murphy left the Arizona game briefly after catching a 70-yard pass, later returned, and there was no mention of injury at the time.

Defensive tackle John Henderson was suited up and on the field, although he was spending some time with a trainer who was working on his injured foot. Chris Johnson, inactive against Arizona with an ankle injury, was suited up and going through drills.

There appears to be a new addition to the practice squad, a linebacker wearing No. 51. The Raiders have not yet released a name to go with the number. Not present wsa Quentin Scott, No. 56, signed to the practice squad last week.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• Senior Beeecham

TJ, you sound like one of those weird old dudes who opens the door for me at 7-11.

But even those guys don’t yap about knowing more than pro scouts or insist upon getting “respect” in a football blog.

As a matter of fact, the more I think about it, the more you remind me of KrappyKell. You guys ever hang out and take a bath together?

• Plunketthead

Does the bhp aka TJ get dressed up and cheer from the black hole?
    Is that why he is called bhp?

• ArmChair GM

# Richochet Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 3:50 pm

back to work…bummer…still hot out there.

you guys play nice.
    _________________________________________________________

Translation:

Back to cleaning port o potties…damn, it stinks in here.

• ArmChair GM

Senior Beeecham Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 3:52 pm

TJ, you sound like one of those weird old dudes who opens the door for
    ________________________________________________________

ROTFLMAO….

• priesttj

I’;ll tell you what, why don’t all you Veldheer worshiper come in here and admit I was right about him? Where are all of you now??

Everyone in here just about laughed and said he would be better for us, well I can’t find one person now who’s ready to back him up.

But you can all be very criticalof me. when I’m wrong. Because you rarely get the chance.

• raiderlaker1980

well my workday is over, I’ll chime in again tmo, thanks for (never) substantially answering my question, it’s been fun… most importantly, go raiders…let’s continue our home win streak and get back in this 1st quarter afc west race

• priesttj

That’s right BOY! show some respect when you come at me. That way you’ll get respect. Get it?

• ArmChair GM

# priesttj Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 3:55 pm

—————————————

Priest-

I’m a stand up dude. I was all for Veldheer over Satele and obviously he wasn’t ready for that kind of pressure. So you were right about that.

Granted, he had one game, sorta like Campbell did, yet some of you guys in here feel like Campbell should have been given half a season to fail at a position he’s played for years, but yet Veldheer had one game and is already a bust at center.

It’s that kinda a double standard that I’m talkin about.

Guys come in here and make excuses for their favorite players like they’re getting a commission over certain guys playing or not.

Call it even across the board, call for legitimate competition at every position, and let the best men stay on the field. Bottom line!

• PurpleDrank81

R.I.P Greg Giraldo

• priesttj

ArmChair as they say game recognizes game, I have tremendous for people who I know know the game. I’m not jocking Campbell I’m saying I want a competent QB under C ……….period So far Grads IMO is tettering on sitting back down. He has to play better……….period

• Senior Beeecham

TJ, simmer down, you old fool!

You can throw a temper tantrum in front of 7-11 when your styrofoam coffee cup breaks and you lose all your nickles, but you can’t wig out on a football blog.

And please, wackyjob, stop begging the blog nerds for respect. The only way to get some is when you clean our windshields better.

• http://www.wix.com/GGEden/ggeden GG

Just on Veldheer, I’ve never said he should be LT. Nor Center. I’m high on him, but at RT or RT/RG. Satele is still not a good enough Center.

For now, given current roster, an OL line-up like…
    Bruce-Gallery-Satele-Walker-Veldheer

Is what I’d do.
    With backups of..
    Barnes-Loper-??-Carlisle-Henderson

If we did that you’d see a marked improvement. There’ll be some growing pains for that line-up, but with an OL, it’s like a rock band….you have to get the right personnel mix, in the right spots, the right chemistry etc.

Cable is at fault, in my armchair GM opinion, because he’s constantly chopping and changing it, but not putting the right guys in the right spots. Bruce’s talent/physique/skill-set is clearly LT. Veldheers is clearly RT or RT/RG. Henderson is RT. Walker RG. Gallery RT/OG. Satele is a good back-up Center. Carlisle is not talented. Pears is a good FA signing when injuries occur.

We need to still draft a starting Center, or trade for a legitimately good one now, need to sign/draft another LT, and we have enough OG/RT depth our OL play would drastically improve.

I hold firm to the Bruce LT and Veldheer RT/RG theory. If Im to be criticized at all, that’s what it’d be based on if we ever got to see Cable putting that OL in.

• PurpleDrank81

Every1 on the Teams has to play better…Not just Bruce…There’s no1 on the team who is perfect

• 8RaiderReign8

Richochet Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 2:53 pm
    You don’t get it GM, because simple things escape you…YOU DON’T JUST CUT A PLAYER BECAUSE OF A BAD OUTING..fool.

Receivers drop game winning TD’s…RB’s fumble away the game winning red zone possession…kickers miss..etc.

You’re an idiot for suggesting a player gets cut that ‘cost you the game”

ALL THE FAILED EXECUTIONS COST THE GAME, WHICH HAPPENED THROUGHOUT THE GAME…only a full blown idiot would state ‘oh..no…ONLY THE LAST PLAY COUNTS.”
    ————

Noooooo. It’s ALL about Wins and Losses. If the last play is the difference between winnin and losing than it most definitely counts. Call a spade a spade.

• djohnnyg

8RaiderReign8 Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 4:21 pm
    Richochet Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 2:53 pm

You’re an idiot for suggesting a player gets cut that ‘cost you the game”

————

——————–

Arizona had plenty of chances too, and made a lot of mistakes. Mistakes, missed opportunities, etc. happen in EVERY NFL game.

It came down to the highest paid kicker in the league making a chip shot to make us 2-1. He failed. Yes, it does happen, but so do 5-11 seasons because of a team being demoralized because of choking away a chance to steal a win.