Kelly shrugs off defensive ranking

Defensive tackle Tommy Kelly seemed amused when asked about the Raiders’ status as the No. 2 (tied) ranked defense in the NFL.

The same stat caught the attention of Houston coach Gary Kubiak, who made mention of it more than once while talking with Bay Area reporters.

Through three games, Oakland is giving up 260.7 yards per game _ tied with Green Bay for second place behind Baltimore (244.3).

“We’ve got to play more attention to detail, a little more focus on every snap,” Kelly said. “We’re really good, stop, stop, stop _ then they pop one. That’s frustrating.”

Yet through three games, anyway, yardage is undeniably down.

“It’s down, but what’s the end result?,” Kelly said. “You’re still walking off that field with your head between your legs, so hurt because you lost. I mean, we’re getting better, y’all can see that. But we’ve got a long way to go before we’re a No. 1 defense.”

If the Raiders can actually maintain their defensive ranking after facing Houston, Kelly will be more impressed. The Texans are fourth in the NFL in total offense (407.0 yards per game) _ one of only teams averaging the same figure the Raiders have attained exactly once in the last 77 games.

The Texans have one of the NFL’s top passers in Matt Schaub, and a sudden star in running back Arian Foster, who emerged from practice squad obscurity and leads the league with 406 yards rushing.
“I think, if we slow these boys down it’ll be a little more indication of how we is as a defense,” Kelly said. “This is a big opportunity. You say you’re the No. 2, No. 3 defense in the league, let’s see it on Sunday.

Mario knows Mario

Mario Henderson is struggling to hold on to his starting job at left tackle, splitting time with rookie Jared Veldheer.

Not exactly the best time to face with Mario Williams, the No. 1 pick of the 2006 draft and one of the premiere players at his position against both the run and pass.

Or maybe it’s the perfect time.

Henderson got his first NFL start in Week 16 against Williams, replacing Kwame Harris at left tackle. He effectively controlled Williams throughout the game, and it remains one of Henderson’s best games as a starting lineman.

“Normally guys his size don’t have that much speed and quickness, and that’s the thing that makes him different from almost every guy in the league is the fact that most guys that are tall like him are kind of slow, but he’s extremely quick and has very long arms,” Henderson said. “He knows how to use all three, size speed and quickness.”

Having some success in the bank can’t hurt.

“I just go back and watch film and kind of know how to play him a little bit,” Henderson said. That’s a good thing. I can use that.”

Seabass: Bad hold

Sebastian Janikowski headed directly to his locker and waited for a group of reporters to finish talking to Zach Miller, figuring he’d be better off answering quesitons about one of the low points of his professional career than avoiding it.

As they started to arrive, Janikowski said, looked at Shane Lechler and said, “Bad hold!,” an indication he hasn’t lost his sense of humor.

Lechler’s hold on the 32-yard field goal attempt, as well as on Janikowski’s other three misses, was perfect.

“I was disappointed, I mean shocked, you know? It happens,” Janikowski said. “I can’t change anything but, going into warm-ups, like I was talking to Shane, I was 20-for-20, with 63-yarders both way. And, you go in the game you feel so good about it, ah, I can make any kick. And this thing happens. So, you’ve just gotta move on. Next page.”

Said Janikowski of the support he received from coach Tom Cable as well as his teammates: “It’s nice to know I’ve got guys behind me. I’ve got to apologize to everybody _ Al Davis, the players, the fans. So, you know, come home this weekend, and kick a winner.”

Recalling a game in 2001 when he missed three three field goal attempts and the Raiders lost 13-10, Janikowski mused, “Every 10 years, something happens.”

Pre-practice notes

As warmups and drills concluded, there was no sign of right guard Robert Gallery (hamstring), defensive tackle Richard Seymour (hamstring) and wide receiver Chaz Schilens knee.

Those on the field but not practicing included wide receiver Louis Murphy and wide receiver and safety Hiram Eugene (hamstring). Murphy left the Arizona game briefly after catching a 70-yard pass, later returned, and there was no mention of injury at the time.

Defensive tackle John Henderson was suited up and on the field, although he was spending some time with a trainer who was working on his injured foot. Chris Johnson, inactive against Arizona with an ankle injury, was suited up and going through drills.

There appears to be a new addition to the practice squad, a linebacker wearing No. 51. The Raiders have not yet released a name to go with the number. Not present wsa Quentin Scott, No. 56, signed to the practice squad last week.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• Pretty Rick

“We’ve gota pay more attention to detail”,,,Tom Kelly sounds like Tom Cable,,not a good thing.

• RaiderDebo

LA to TheBay Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Campbell has more starts, TDs, and wins, however based on what each player did last year, they are almost i a dead heat when averaging Grad over the course of a season.
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I’m no Campbell fan, but please tell me you were joking here.

• RaiderDebo

September 29th, 2010 at 3:16 pm
    # raiderlaker1980 Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 3:10 pm

September 29th, 2010 at 3:07 pm
    4 seconds?? RUN A PLAY IN 4 SECONDS? and then have time to kick a FG? lol….geez…

I agree with running one more play, there was actually 35 seconds on the clock, 3rd down, I kept yelling give Dmac 1 more carry to get it closer… they ran the clock down to 4 secs, called a timeout, and the rest is ugly history.
    ———————————-
    Except that’s not what ArmchairNit said, and the following comment reinforces his ‘cotton ball” status:

ArmChair GM Says:
    September 26th, 2010 at 4:40 pm
    Cable mismanaged that game at the end. He had Jano kick it on 3rd down with 4 seconds in the game.
    He could have taken one more shot at the endzone if that was the case.
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Hey Dcklck,

Which one of these is your post?? LOL!!!

• http://www.nataliegulbis.com Richochet

Tell us again, TJ, how you state on one hand that you just know someone who works for the Raiders, but post the following?

Blackholepriest Says:
    January 28th, 2008 at 2:39 pm
    Copenhagen, all I can say is what I’m hearing is nothing concrete. I don’t want to put my signature on anything that’s not factual that I know for sure. I think Big Al really likes Kiffin but he wants Kiffin to LOVE the Raiders. It’s just the way he is and I can’t explain it any other way. If Kiffin would make his intentions clear then Mr. Davis would relax. That’s how I know him to be he wants his coaches to be like Rob Ryan in love with that team. Then he knows he’ll get their best work.
    You can’t describe the passion he has for the Raiders and if someone that he relies on doesn’t give him that it just doesn’t compute with him. That’s why it’s so tenuous. But my gut feelings are that Kiffin is here, Lofton is his insurance that if Kiffin is somehow gone that he has a capable replacement.
    I just spoke with John Herrera and for a fact Kiffin is conducting the interview with Lofton. But things still need to be worked out with respect to what his responsibilities are. Now this was while I was writing this post so take it for what it’s worth.
    And I never give info like this but something needed to be done. Hopefully it doesn’t bite me in the rear.
    =========================

did ya hear that? Inside scoop from TJ..who’s…”RISKING IT ALL” by leaking out news, lol

• http://www.nataliegulbis.com Richochet

oops…then quick remorse, ;)

Blackholepriest Says:
    January 28th, 2008 at 2:43 pm
    Guy’s I just put my ass on the line for you. And you better appreciate it because it wont happen again.
    Quite frankly I’m pissed at myself for doing something that stupid.

• http://aldavissucks.blogspot.com/ The Real GradkowskiRaider

# RaiderDebo Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 3:18 pm

September 29th, 2010 at 3:16 pm
    # raiderlaker1980 Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 3:10 pm

September 29th, 2010 at 3:07 pm

———————————-

ArmChair GM Says:
    September 26th, 2010 at 4:40 pm
    He could have taken one more shot at the endzone if that was the case.
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Hey Dcklck,

Which one of these is your post?? LOL!!!

# RaiderDebo Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 3:18 pm

September 29th, 2010 at 3:16 pm
    # raiderlaker1980 Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 3:10 pm

September 29th, 2010 at 3:07 pm

———————————-

ArmChair GM Says:
    September 26th, 2010 at 4:40 pm
    He could have taken one more shot at the endzone if that was the case.
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Hey Dcklck,

Which one of these is your post?? LOL!!!

# RaiderDebo Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 3:18 pm

September 29th, 2010 at 3:16 pm
    # raiderlaker1980 Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 3:10 pm

September 29th, 2010 at 3:07 pm

———————————-

ArmChair GM Says:
    September 26th, 2010 at 4:40 pm
    He could have taken one more shot at the endzone if that was the case.
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Hey Dcklck,

Which one of these is your post?? LOL!!!

# RaiderDebo Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 3:18 pm

September 29th, 2010 at 3:16 pm
    # raiderlaker1980 Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 3:10 pm

September 29th, 2010 at 3:07 pm

———————————-

ArmChair GM Says:
    September 26th, 2010 at 4:40 pm
    He could have taken one more shot at the endzone if that was the case.
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Hey Dcklck,

Which one of these is your post?? LOL!!!

……………..

You don’t say? Interesting.

• priesttj

That’s an opinion of someone who obviously doesn’t know………YOU. The coaches vote counts YOURS does not..sorry!!

Talking smack is one thing, facts are quite different, Hiram Eugene has contributed on this team or he wouldn’t be on it………..period

• raiderlaker1980

Guys I don’t support.. Hiram, Rout, Mario, Langston, Sam Williams… the rest of the team shows something, productivity, help in some area. those guys deserve nothing, not even practice squad. I’ll tell you what, to civily discuss this, please give me your breakdown based on what you’ve seen to suggest Hiram is a keeper, and I’ll offer you what I see, let’s talent evaluate, because cleary your normal approach is to call someone competent enough to see through your BS an idiot or dummy, let the debate prove who really knows what they’re talking about

• http://www.nataliegulbis.com Richochet

# RaiderDebo Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 3:18 pm

September 29th, 2010 at 3:16 pm
    # raiderlaker1980 Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 3:10 pm

September 29th, 2010 at 3:07 pm

———————————-

ArmChair GM Says:
    September 26th, 2010 at 4:40 pm
    He could have taken one more shot at the endzone if that was the case.
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Hey Dcklck,

Which one of these is your post?? LOL!!!
    ===================
    Makes no sense, Oakglenn…don’t play the “I’s a dummy” bit…scroll up, read, then tell us again how you brought home that hot 15 year old…don’t forget the hahahaha’s..

• http://www.nataliegulbis.com Richochet

Funny watching RMR and Oakglenn exchange ‘duh’s”

• http://www.aflciodental.com/unions/IBEW.png r8eray

before the season started, someone told you that after three games the Raiders would have the 2nd best defense in the league, the 10th best offense in the league, and would be tied with San Diego in the division standings would you not have been happy? well this is the current situation, so lets just remember this season isnt over, there is still a lot of football to be played. i know we only have one win, but this team is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than any in the past 7 years…. small steps guys, we are on the right path.

• http://aldavissucks.blogspot.com/ The Real GradkowskiRaider

# Richochet Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 3:21 pm

# RaiderDebo Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 3:18 pm

September 29th, 2010 at 3:16 pm
    # raiderlaker1980 Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 3:10 pm

September 29th, 2010 at 3:07 pm

———————————-

ArmChair GM Says:
    September 26th, 2010 at 4:40 pm
    He could have taken one more shot at the endzone if that was the case.
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Hey Dcklck,

Which one of these is your post?? LOL!!!
    ===================

# Richochet Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 3:21 pm

# RaiderDebo Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 3:18 pm

September 29th, 2010 at 3:16 pm
    # raiderlaker1980 Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 3:10 pm

September 29th, 2010 at 3:07 pm

———————————-

ArmChair GM Says:
    September 26th, 2010 at 4:40 pm
    He could have taken one more shot at the endzone if that was the case.
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Hey Dcklck,

Which one of these is your post?? LOL!!!
    ===================

# Richochet Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 3:21 pm

# RaiderDebo Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 3:18 pm

September 29th, 2010 at 3:16 pm
    # raiderlaker1980 Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 3:10 pm

September 29th, 2010 at 3:07 pm

———————————-

ArmChair GM Says:
    September 26th, 2010 at 4:40 pm
    He could have taken one more shot at the endzone if that was the case.
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Hey Dcklck,

Which one of these is your post?? LOL!!!
    ===================

# Richochet Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 3:21 pm

# RaiderDebo Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 3:18 pm

September 29th, 2010 at 3:16 pm
    # raiderlaker1980 Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 3:10 pm

September 29th, 2010 at 3:07 pm

———————————-

ArmChair GM Says:
    September 26th, 2010 at 4:40 pm
    He could have taken one more shot at the endzone if that was the case.
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Hey Dcklck,

Which one of these is your post?? LOL!!!
    ===================

………………….

you tell him, rich!

• http://aldavissucks.blogspot.com/ The Real GradkowskiRaider

duh!

• raiderlaker1980

Ok moron, I tried it the civil way. You’re the one on here also speaking as to how poor a Qb Bruce is, but obviously your so called astute evaluation should over rule the coaching staff right? Either let the coaches coach and stfu or admit when your idiotic posts are called as a pair of dueces compared to a full house. AGAIN being on the roster doesn’t mean he’s a keeper. It means he’s still on the team for the right or wrong reasons.

• Kirk

DHB leads the league is pass interference penalties drawn.

It’s his main talent.

• No Mas Diamante

Can we stop now with the DHB / craptree comparisons. Craptree may have more natural pass catching talent but it’s wasted because he’s a me first player and not a team guy what-so-ever. Have you seen him try to tackle or block? OMG!! he’s a freakin puss! Now, for the last time— DHB > Craptree. The verdict is in. next subject…

• http://aldavissucks.blogspot.com/ The Real GradkowskiRaider

raiderlaker1980 Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Ok moron, I tried it the civil way.

………………..

• ArmChair GM

ArmChair GM Says:
    September 26th, 2010 at 4:40 pm
    He could have taken one more shot at the endzone if that was the case.
    _______________________________________________________

Piece-o-schyt has a penchant for misquoting people and using half truths and stories.

I DID make a mistake in saying that Jano would have had an extra attempt if they missed. You guys hear me, I WAS WRONG. Great.

But my main point was that Cable wasted 35 seconds and a down, when they should have taken a shot into the end zone or designed a play for DMAC to get closer.

They thought that Jano making the kick was a gimme, even though he was clearly having a bad game.

Clock and game mismanagement from the coaches.

Kind of like how your dad mismanaged his seed when he impregnated your mom and had you, Piece-o-schyt.

Freakin tranny.

• raiderlaker1980

If you’re way of proving you’re right is to point to every move the coaching staff makes to validate your points, then you should eat the crow and stfu when they do the opposite of what you say. It’s extremely hypocritical to tell others to let the coaces and organization make the calls, then get on here and biotch about what you think they should do and what mistakes are being made… o and fyi, I partially agree with you about Bruce and his mistakes, but fact of the matter is JC wasn’t going to get it done, he looked completely shell shocked out there. Maybe later down the line he’ll get it together and be ready to lead this team, but he reminds me alot of David Carr right now, the potential was there, but the constant turnover, losing, and poor line play in front of him may have ruined him permanently unfortunately.

• http://www.wix.com/GGEden/ggeden GG

# No Mas Diamante Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Agreed. Hands-down.

• raiderlaker1980

#167 LOL, funny chit man

• Dark Forces

Players and Coaches shouldn’t be allowed to say anyting to reporters unless they win. “We’ve got to do this, we’ve got to do that” these guys ahve been saying all the same crap for the last eight years and they haven’t done any of it yet.

• priesttj

Listen loud mouth the coaches are pros what’s your credentials that I should even dignify anything YOU say fool. If you want to talk smack talk to smack talkers I talk facts. I put my stuff out there for everyoen to criticise as they see fit.

So who the hell are you?, other than a keyboard smack talking loud mouth. I made many predictions based on what I see and the proof is on the field. Most of the players I say will make it make it…………..period

• http://Www.bullycains.com r8dercain

Big bannana put me down
    30-24 raiders.

• priesttj

Every year Eugene m,akes the 53 man roster………bottom line. Can’t argue with facts……period

• Senior Beeecham

You nerds wouldn’t be so worried about Jano’s missed FG if you had been hanging out on my Reggae Party Boat. Seriously, I missed the entire first half because these twins from Ecuador were taking turns swallowing frozen bananas.

Anyway I’ll be in Ojai this weekend for the game, keeping it real like Young MC used to do.

If any of you dorks make it out the Village Jester on Sat night, I’ll be the dude macking on the masseuse from the Ojai Valley Inn near the bathrooms.

• http://www.wix.com/GGEden/ggeden GG

Big Banana, my tip for this week…

Raiders 30-27 (Janikowski with game-winning FG!)

• raiderlaker1980

Point well taken, you don’t have jack chit other than the fact he’s on the roster. I’m not a keyboard smack talker, but enough is enough. Your ridiculous double standerd holier than though bs is over the top and quite frankly sad. What gives you the credentials to say it’s a fact? I’m asking for your facts as to what he provides to the team. You’re preaching to the choir telling me the coaches are pros, I know that. your nor I are pros, but since we’re debating it, tell me what you see, I’ll tell you what I see, and we can move on and discuss other things. you can chose to respond or not, but your tirades about who you should and shouldn’t dignify when you speak to everyone as though you’re some blogging know it all show’s who the real fool is. Anyone who doesn’t agree with you suddenly has no credentials for you to even enter a discussion.. how sad

• priesttj

They don’t call me the “Priest of the Blackhole” for nothing BOY!!

• Senior Beeecham

TJ, I’m not saying you’re a loser, but anyone who gets all riled up and calls someone a “loud mouth” on an internet blog is a loser.

But you understand … I’m not calling you a loser, right?

• http://Noknuckleheads! 909RaiderLifer

Some fierce purse swinging going on here, today…..

• raiderlaker1980

priesttj Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 3:37 pm

so does sam williams, so did james jett, what’s your point? that doesn’t make them keepers man. let’s be real. just because a player continues to be on the roster doesn’t mean they’re a keeper. yes the fact is he’s on the roster. it’s also a fact he does not positively contribute to this football team. so again, I ask, can you tell me what makes him a keeper? Nnamdi is a keeper if you want an example to refrence

• ArmChair GM

This forum is kinda like a WWE Battle Royal. Two guys end up attacking one guy, and then the next thing you know they start attacking each other. Then next thing you know everybody’s attacking everybody.

Every man for himself,lol.

• raiderlaker1980

you call yourself priest of black hole, everyone else shakes their head at you, sorry to break it to ya

• DeuceDeuce

Raiders 23
    Texans 20

• raiderlaker1980

lol armchair, I’m not attacking, I really want to know what this man sees that makes this scrub a keeper… what I see is a waste of space taking a roster spot of someone who could potentially develope into something for us, we’ve seen what Hiram has to offer, and frankly it’s not very much good at all

• Senior Beeecham

Any of you dorks remember when Krappy got himself banned from the blog, ran over to PFT.com where everyone ignored him, then slimed his way back into the blog with his sizeable tail between his legs?

That was awesome! Good times, old dog!

• DeuceDeuce

And both Texans Td’s to Arian Foster for the sake of my fantasy team…

• DeuceDeuce

And DMAC gets all our scores for the same reason…

• ArmChair GM

Priest-

You make a lot of good points on here, but you hate to admit when you’re wrong.

You will stubbornly defend a point to your last breath even when it’s painfully obvious that you were wrong.

• http://www.nataliegulbis.com Richochet

In other words, ArmchairClueless, you don’t know the first thing about football…

Yeah…we know.

Now quit proving it.

Now, fairweather flake…this remind you of anyone?

· ArmChair GM Says:
    September 12th, 2010 at 11:24 am
    It’s over.
    I’m talking about our season.

==========================
    You think you can run a play in 4 seconds…you think you can try ANOTHER FG if you miss the first one…and you bail on the team in the second quarter OF THE FIRST GAME…

And your age is????????

my guess is 15

• http://www.wix.com/GGEden/ggeden GG

Eugene is simply a hold-over roster spot of the last few Raiders years of Al Davis scholarships.

Same with a lot of our OL depth/starters.

• priesttj

Listen Boy you came at me as if you know it all. I don’t know who you are never seen your name. If you had came a little more correct you would’ve got my respect. Don’t come at me whoffin’ then flip the scrip.

I gave a full scouting report on the kid before anyone else had even seen him. The same is true with Chris Johnson the MYP candidate when people were laughing at me. That was B4 he was drafted evenB4 the scouting combine I old people what he could do. No one else knew him including most scouts(professional).

• raiderlaker1980

post 192, I’m well aware of that, thus rendering him useless and holding the team back, not a keeper

• http://www.nataliegulbis.com Richochet

# priesttj Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 3:40 pm

They don’t call me the “Priest of the Blackhole” for nothing BOY!!
    ============
    YOU call yourself that…everyone else calls you moron.

oh..and on the Raider station post game show? That can’t help but laugh as they say “Priest from Fremont”…

Why is that?
    And why do they keep laughing as they hang up on you..saying “yeah, yeah..we know, Priest, we know”??

• http://www.nataliegulbis.com Richochet

back to work…bummer…still hot out there.

you guys play nice.

• raiderlaker1980

never came at you as though I know it all, but I do know you’re dead wrong about him being a keeper, kudos to you for digging chris johnson on here. but at the same time honestly, Hiram should go, and instead of bitterly holding on to the fact you thought he was a keeper, if you like myself want what’s best for the team, that guy should be gone. fyi, thanks feels good to be young, can you call me boy again?

• priesttj

GG it doesn’t matter the facts are the facts I didn’t say the kid was ever going to be all pro. I said he would make the team and contribute and he has………….period

• ArmChair GM

# Richochet Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 3:46 pm

____________________________________________________

I’ve already addressed this post idiot, little drag queen.

But since you have a missing chromosome, I’ll do it again.

I addressed comment about taking a field goal on 3rd down. I also made it clear that I was saying that Cable should have taken one more shot at the endzone or at least to get closer when there were 35 SECONDS on the clock you chimp!

Now I have a question for you, and of course you will dodge it….

Who’s your favorite football team?

Now dodge the question and prove me right. Idiot.

• http://www.wix.com/GGEden/ggeden GG

When we start phasing out those scholarship players with better football IQ players who stand a chance to actually be productive and push for a starting job, then the Raiders win more games.

Davis been wasting like 4+ roster spots on the 53 on players with ‘talent’ but not developing, not pushing, year after year, and that’s a lot of roster spots to waste.

S.Williams, M.Mitchell, Carlisle, Eugene, right now, are in question.