Stats make Kubiak wary of Raiders

The Houston Texans are finding it slow going in their bid to go from mediocrity to a legitimate playoff contender.

The Raiders are facing a similar process simply trying to ascend from the depths to somewhere approaching mediocrity.

Just when Houston appeared to have a breakthrough with season-opening wins against Indianapolis and Washington, the latter in a comeback mode, the Texans were returned to earth by their in-state rivals, the struggling Dallas Cowboys.

Oakland put itself in position for a 2-1 record in Week 3 against Arizona but didn’t deliver, arming skeptics everywhere with evidence the Raiders will never amount to anything.

Gary Kubiak, talking by conference call with Bay Area reporters bright and early this morning, was talking about the step he’d like his team to take.

“It’s a big, big corner to turn,’ Kubiak said. “You don’t turn it in one game, one play, one week. I think you turn it over a period of time. Our focus right now is on the Oakland Raiders and being as good as you can be this week.”

Warren Sapp used to insist “stats are for losers,” his argument being they could be twisted like taffy to say illustrate just about any point.

Kubiak latched on to stats Wednesday morning to paint the Raiders as a one of the NFL’s top teams.

“I think there’s two teams in this league that are in the top 10 offensively and defensively and they’re one of them,” Kubiak said. “That tells you how balanced they are and how well they’re playing.”

Indeed, the Raiders are 10th in offense at 351.3 yards per game, which doesn’t explain a 3-for-13 performance in the red zone. And they’re No. 3 in defense, right behind Baltimore and Green Bay, which may be more a factor of the St. Louis and Arizona offenses than anything else and doesn’t account for allowing the Cardinals to pass for two scores in the red zone with relative ease.

Note: Raiders are actually tied with second for Green Bay.
Kubiak is undeterred, even elevating the Raiders’ defense a spot to No. 2, deflecting a question about Nnamdi Asomugha and the possibility of shadowing Andre Johnson to pile more superlatives on his opponent.

“I never get caught up in that,” Kubiak said. “We’ve got to go and play their defense. We’ve got to do a good job. I mean, they’re second in defense in the NFL, that tells you how good they are, how talented they are across the board. He’s a great, great player, but it’s going to take 11 of us to play well and not just one if we’ve got any chance of winning.”

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• LA to TheBay

r8eray Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 11:25 am
    You guys think we’ll deal a RB before trade deadline?
    Greenbay? Detroit? Redskins?
    ————————-

Bush for AJ Hawk.

• mistic1

# The Big Banana Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 11:17 am

Mistic – Grads is a better option than anything we have right now. He put us in a position to win despite your propaganda. The kicker failed. It’s clear you have a vendetta against the guy, going out of your way to blame things on him. That was no more apparent than when you laughably said he almost lost us the Rams game. LOL!

Who threw the ball to DHB on that last drive, drawing the PI? Campbell would have checked it down.

Another thing. You seem real impressed with Hue Jack. I don’t have a problem with that but Hue Jack likes Grads more than JC. Talked him up pretty good. So what gives? Does Hue Jack know his stuff or not? Pick one.
    =======================================================

Dont even try it. Hue jack made no claims about likes or dislikes, other than to say at this moment grads is executing better than jc. I dont have a problem with grads being in now if he has firmer grasp on the offense at this moment. hue jack would know better than me.

My contention is that in the long run he will not be a better option than jc or any number of qb’s in the league for that matter, because he is simply not that talented.

Besides grads played like garbage against the cards and was shaky at best against the rams. Im just reporting the facts. Lastly he has gotten away with a number of ill advised, inaccurate passes, and bone headed decisions, & truth be told when those mistakes bite him / us in the ass, we wont be talking about the kicker.

Grads , good teammate, fiery competitor, marginal, if not almost mediocre qb for the nfl.

Bush for AJ Hawk.

***

are you kidding me?

that would be the deal of the century!

no way Al Davis could pull that off …

• DMAC

If we trade Bush it better be for a LT or RT.

SLB McClain
    MLB Hawk
    WLB Wimbley

Groves to rotate at DE with Houston, ShoNasty and Scott

• DMAC

Nick Miller, Hiram “stiff armed” Eugene, Sam Williams, Cooper Carlisle, etc. for RT Gared Gaither

LA to TheBay: looking back, do you think we should have traded Nnamdi & Walrus for Big Ben?

• DMAC

Shonasty is a gamer. He should get more snaps throughout the game than he does. He is clearly a better overall player than Scott.

• DMAC

MY bad… Jared Gaither

***

TRUTH!

Scott should be a situational pass rusher

thats the only thing he’s good at

• http://aldavissucks.blogspot.com/ The Real GradkowskiRaider

Mistic, Jason Campbell is one of the dumbest QBs to ever wear a Raider uniform. I’ll take Gradkowski’s marginal talent, his motivation, his pocket presence and understanding of the game. Campbell can throw a ball a hundred yards…what good is it if he’s too stupid to read defenses and get rid of the ball quick?

DMAC: why would the Ravens want Hiram Eugene?

they saw firsthand what a great player he was in WK17 last year!

I wish we could give the Ravens McClain & Seymour for Ray Lewis and Derrick Mason

this team lacks leadership on both sides of the ball and 2 years of Lewis is better than 10 years of McLame!

• DMAC

# RaiderRockstar Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 11:39 am

DMAC: why would the Ravens want Hiram Eugene?

they saw firsthand what a great player he was in WK17 last year!
    ===========
    That’s easy…….
    They can use him on their practice squad, catching back to back stiff arms from MgGahee and Rice.

BBL – work to do

• DMAC

# RaiderRockstar Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 11:41 am

=========
    RRS,
    Yeah, you really miss the GREAT leadership from Capt. Kirk.

• http://aldavissucks.blogspot.com/ The Real GradkowskiRaider

At this point, Mistic, I’ve seen NOTHING out of Jason Campbell, since he’s been with this team, that would remotely demonstrate that he’s better than JaMarcus Russell. Nothing. If you can think of anything, I’m waiting.

• DMAC

Capt. Kirk is gone. McClain is here. GET OVER IT!

• mistic1

# RaiderRockstar Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 11:41 am

=======================================================
    What!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Mcclaine is getting better every week! He hasnt even begun to scratch the surface of his talent. He is just learning the mechanical phase of playing his position, he is the best mlb we have had since romo, and that is right now at this moment. Seymour not a leader!?!?!?! riding in with the rookies, and camp fodder, even though he did not get the money he wanted isnt leadership!!?!?!?! Not to mention he is one of the best d tackles in foot ball!!

Wow Spoken like a true gradkowski fan!

• DKnight007

guest123 Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 9:46 am
    Look at the wonders Davis and Iupati are doing for the 49ers right now?

^^^^^^^^
    Is this sarcasm?

A Davis is just as bad as Mario right now and Iupati is not consistent enough at pass blocking either.

Hence why Smith is always getting flushed out of the pocket.

The Niners offense is worse than the Raiders offense right now.

• DKnight007

DMAC Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 11:31 am
    If we trade Bush it better be for a LT or RT.

^^^^^^^
    Agreed!

• PurpleDrank81

I sure do love seeing the Whiners start out 0-3

• lefty12

M,what does being a BG backer have to do with having your head where the sun doesn’t shine concerning McClain?

• http://blackhillsphoto.com/sturgis-weddings/black-hills-weddings.jpg Dakota

Why trade Bush? RB is one of our few positions of strength and you want to risk that? RBs get injured all the time, we should keep them both.

Besides, we aren’t getting a good LT or RT for an injury prone RB with conditioning problems.

• PurpleDrank81

I wonder if we’ll have a 1st round pick

• hellsbells

With Gaither being injured not sure if a trade can be made.

• mistic1

# The Real GradkowskiRaider Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 11:38 am

=========================================================

I understand your passion….but you are misinformed. A quick look at grads career numbers show you who he is, 17 td 18 ints never a completion percentage of more the 54%. Also the fact that he has been in the league as long as campbell but cant hold a starting job says something about his ability. he is not a rookie that needs game experience, he is not a very good qb. Why is this so difficult for you and other so called raider fans to accept?

Campbell has out performed grads over the same number of years in the league, and its not even close! Numbers dont lie!!!!

• hellsbells

At least there will be no dirt infield this week. Sunday was the last As game.

• DMAC

I’ll take an injured Gaither over Mario and Walker anyday.

• hellsbells

THINK YOU have to pass a physical to make trade legit.

• hellsbells

Post 213 must have been a brain fart?

• DMAC

The Ravens are targeting week 8 return. I hope we throw an offer, but I know it won’t happen.

• JB

# The Real GradkowskiRaider Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 11:45 am

************************

To start with, he’s not on drugs. Add to that he shows up ready to work. Add to that he can throw an accurate pass, Add to that he can throw a touch pass.

Is that enough for starters. FORGET JaLoser. He screwed us up for three years and brought nothing to the table other than his fat a$$.

To compare the two in the sentence is an insult to football.

JCampbell may not be a world-beating QB but at least he’s trying. More than you can say about lard-a$$.

• mistic1

Trade Bush!??!?!? What he is the perfect compliment to Dmac, and if dmac goes down( please dont so we can continue to shut these fools up) Bush is a more than capable fill in. Cart right and bennett would be a mjor drop off.

• http://aldavissucks.blogspot.com/ The Real GradkowskiRaider

Mistic, still waiting on any examples you could give me of Campbell demonstrating he’s better than JaMarcus Russell, since he’s been here. Let alone better than Gradkowski….lol. We’re not talking about the past, Mistic. The here and now.

• DMAC

# hellsbells Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Post 213 must have been a brain fart?
    =======
    No. RRS is a McClain hater. Still can’t get over the fact Kirk is in Jax.

• hellsbells

It would look goog

Gaither Gallery Sat?? Loper Veldheer

• SilverAndBlackBleeder

You guys calling for a trade of my man Bush are tripping out. What happens when McFadden gets hurt? I don’t wish it, but lets not act like it doesn’t happen….

As for McClain, he’s a beast out there. Had himself a solid game last week, and he deserves a lot of credit for the fact that people are where they are supposed to be. He can’t make plays for everybody, but he can damn sure make sure folks are where they need to be. And for him to be a rookie and he’s capable of doing all of that, that is huge. The game is only gonna get slower and slower for him; then you all will be right back on his bandwagon…

good grief fellas, it’s been like two weeks, don’t trade the entire team already….when was the last time our team was ranked in the top 10 in off and def…we’re almost there. If we can score some damn points, we’ll run away with this division this year.

• HairyBush

If the Raiders do a face plant this week, Season is officially over. (it probaly already is)

When a team that is in a state of disfunction, and trying to find it’s idenity (like the Raiders), losses a game like it did last week, it sets A team back further than most know. The Raiders truly aren’t that good to let a game like last weeks slip away.

By the way, When are we going to chill out with all the penalties?

For the record, I like Grads attitude and competitivness, but I wonder to myself, am I just being dillusional about where he can really take the Raiders?

When I was watching the Cards game, I must have said to myself on 5 different occasions, WOW! glad that wasn’t picked off. If Grads keeps playing on the edge like last week, it will blow up in his face against a competent defensive backfield, even a half way decent one.

I am so sick of hearing Cable’s post game press confrences. I think he should just record one and just push play for the media every week. same old same old- were so close blah blah blah

Perhaps the Raiders would be a lot “closer” with a little disipline. Who’s fault is that Tom?

I don’t mind plays like McClain’s bodyslam against the Rams, it made a statement and was worth the fine. It’s all the p.i. calls, false starts etc;

Last weeks game is making me jaded.

If someone wants to give me a reason to think we are not going to pull a Janakowsi this week, I would truly like to hear it. It’s hard not to believe the Texans aren’t going to put it on us.

P.S. If Nnamdi doesn’t shadow Johnson this week I may lose it.

Sorry had to vent.

How

• DMAC

# hellsbells Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 12:04 pm

It would look goog

Gaither Gallery Sat?? Loper Veldheer
    ========
    I likes…
    Still want to see what Bruce Campbell has to offer though.

hellsbells Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 11:59 am
    At least there will be no dirt infield this week. Sunday was the last As game.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Yeah, the dirt really disrupted Jano against the Cards. LOL.

• http://aldavissucks.blogspot.com/ The Real GradkowskiRaider

JB, that’s not enough, actually.

I’m looking for examples of ON THE FIELD play. What has Jason Campbell done, ON THE FIELD, PLAYING, IN UNIFORM, AS A QUARTERBACK, to prove that he’s A BETTER PLAYER, READ: PLAYER, than JaMarcus Russell. I’m impressed with Campbell’s talent and work ethic you speak of. But unfortunately, since he’s been with the Raiders, I haven’t seen any of it transcend into solid play on the field, at least not any play that I could consider better than Russell’s. So, again, please enlighten me with any examples of Campbell playing better than Russell. I could really be a jerk and ask you to give examples of Campbell playing better than Gradkowski since he’s been a Raider, but we both know there are none. So I’m trying to give you Campbell guys a leg up by pitting him against Russell. lol. But it seems he’s not better than Russell, either. At least he hasn’t shown it yet in a Raider uniform.

• http://lovoshovonovo.tw St. Jimmy

You’re a tool Hairy Bush.

• http://lovoshovonovo.tw St. Jimmy

How Raider are you?

I am so Raider, that when I go to the gym, I name the players who’s number is the locker I choose. Thats how Raider I am, and that is just one small example.

• HairyBush

Rockstar, for someone who is so adament (sp?) about giving draft picks (Higgins, Huff etc;) and other guys a chance, you certainly confuse me with you hatred toward RoMac.
    Did he try to put it in your wife’s pooper or something? Your bitterness just doesn’t make sense it’s week 4 bro. :)

• http://lovoshovonovo.tw St. Jimmy

For you fat guys, naming the players number based on the McDonalds value menu number doesn’t count.

• http://aldavissucks.blogspot.com/ The Real GradkowskiRaider

It’s too bad JB and Mistic are incapable of giving any examples of Campbell playing better than Russell since he’s been a Raider. You’d think they’d have plenty. You’d think they’d be showering me with youtube clips. Maybe theyr’e still looking. They’re going to be looking a loooooong time.

• http://lovoshovonovo.tw St. Jimmy

The Real GradkowskiRaider who is your favorite all time Raider player?

• HairyBush

St. Jimmy Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 12:11 pm
    How Raider are you?

————————–
    Let’s see, I just sided my whole house silver and Black.
    MY cars are silver and black.
    I have not one but 2 mancaves dedicated to the Raiders
    I go to every game I possibly can
    I haven’t missed a game in almost a decade.
    should I go on?

Sorry for being real bro

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

As a Raider? Because as a Redskin he has clearly ourperformed JaThargic.