Stats make Kubiak wary of Raiders

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Wednesday, September 29th, 2010 at 8:24 am in Oakland Raiders.

The Houston Texans are finding it slow going in their bid to go from mediocrity to a legitimate playoff contender.

The Raiders are facing a similar process simply trying to ascend from the depths to somewhere approaching mediocrity.

Just when Houston appeared to have a breakthrough with season-opening wins against Indianapolis and Washington, the latter in a comeback mode, the Texans were returned to earth by their in-state rivals, the struggling Dallas Cowboys.

Oakland put itself in position for a 2-1 record in Week 3 against Arizona but didn’t deliver, arming skeptics everywhere with evidence the Raiders will never amount to anything.

Gary Kubiak, talking by conference call with Bay Area reporters bright and early this morning, was talking about the step he’d like his team to take.

“It’s a big, big corner to turn,’ Kubiak said. “You don’t turn it in one game, one play, one week. I think you turn it over a period of time. Our focus right now is on the Oakland Raiders and being as good as you can be this week.”

Warren Sapp used to insist “stats are for losers,” his argument being they could be twisted like taffy to say illustrate just about any point.

Kubiak latched on to stats Wednesday morning to paint the Raiders as a one of the NFL’s top teams.

“I think there’s two teams in this league that are in the top 10 offensively and defensively and they’re one of them,” Kubiak said. “That tells you how balanced they are and how well they’re playing.”

Indeed, the Raiders are 10th in offense at 351.3 yards per game, which doesn’t explain a 3-for-13 performance in the red zone. And they’re No. 3 in defense, right behind Baltimore and Green Bay, which may be more a factor of the St. Louis and Arizona offenses than anything else and doesn’t account for allowing the Cardinals to pass for two scores in the red zone with relative ease.

Note: Raiders are actually tied with second for Green Bay.
Kubiak is undeterred, even elevating the Raiders’ defense a spot to No. 2, deflecting a question about Nnamdi Asomugha and the possibility of shadowing Andre Johnson to pile more superlatives on his opponent.

“I never get caught up in that,” Kubiak said. “We’ve got to go and play their defense. We’ve got to do a good job. I mean, they’re second in defense in the NFL, that tells you how good they are, how talented they are across the board. He’s a great, great player, but it’s going to take 11 of us to play well and not just one if we’ve got any chance of winning.”

• mistic1

# The Real GradkowskiRaider Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 11:45 am

At this point, Mistic, I’ve seen NOTHING out of Jason Campbell, since he’s been with this team, that would remotely demonstrate that he’s better than JaMarcus Russell. Nothing. If you can think of anything, I’m waiting.
    =========================================================
    You have only seen 6 quarters! We have seen more than that from garbagekowski, and it bears witness to his overall mediocrity, dating back to last year.

This sounds like a post that has not watched campbell very often, and has seen even less of grads.

Here si a list of qb’s that he could not beat out for a starting job, Chris Simms, Tim rattay, ken dorsey, charlie fry, derick anderson and brady quinn. half of these dudes arent even in the nfl any more.

• http://lovoshovonovo.tw St. Jimmy

Hello The Real GradkowskiRaider, I am interested to know who your favorite all time Raider is?

• http://aldavissucks.blogspot.com/ The Real GradkowskiRaider

Campbell as a Raider, Bo.

He’s played in 4 preseason games and a game and a half in the regular season. Surely he’s done something where we could say, “Russell couldn’t do that”. I’ve seen NOTHING as of this point. I’ve seen Gradkowski, however, do things Russell is incapable of on his first drive this season. Why is Gradkowski able to remove the Raiders from the Russell stench instantly, while Campbell, after a month and a half, still has shown no sign of it?

• http://aldavissucks.blogspot.com/ The Real GradkowskiRaider

mistic1 Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 12:15 pm

You have only seen 6 quarters!

…………..

It only took Grad one drive.

• mistic1

# The Real GradkowskiRaider Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 12:12 pm

It’s too bad JB and Mistic are incapable of giving any examples of Campbell playing better than Russell since he’s been a Raider. You’d think they’d have plenty. You’d think they’d be showering me with youtube clips. Maybe theyr’e still looking. They’re going to be looking a loooooong time.
    ========================================================

This makes no sense, HE HASNT BEEN IN THE RAIDER UNIFORM LONG ENOUGH TO CAMPARE HIS RAIDER CAREER, WITH THE RAIDER CAREERS OF GARBAGEKOWSKI OR RUSSELL?!?!?!

iT MAKE MORE SNESE TO COMPARE THE OVERALL BODY OF WORK CAREER FOR CAREER, APPLES TO APPLES. DONT MAKE POST THE CAREER STATS FOR GARBKOWSKI AND CAMPBELL AGAIN!

• http://aldavissucks.blogspot.com/ The Real GradkowskiRaider

# St. Jimmy Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 12:16 pm

…………..

I don’t have one. I kind of lost passion for the “most favorite player in the whole wide world” thing when I was like…I dunno, 11?

• http://aldavissucks.blogspot.com/ The Real GradkowskiRaider

mistic1 Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 12:19 pm

…………..

It only took Gradkowsk one drive to prove to all of us that he’s worlds better than Russell, liar. Keep lying.

• http://blackhillsphoto.com/sturgis-weddings/black-hills-weddings.jpg Dakota

HOWIE LONG!

• HairyBush

Dakota Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 12:22 pm
    HOWIE LONG
    —————-
    I second that

• http://aldavissucks.blogspot.com/ The Real GradkowskiRaider

I’ve got players I like more than others. But most favorite player? Ever? Nothing wrong with having one…but it’s a little childish, isn’t it?

• DMAC

My favorite player was Jay Shraoder!!!!

• http://lovoshovonovo.tw St. Jimmy

The Real GradkowskiRaider Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 12:24 pm

———————-

No, I didn’t think it was, but whatever, i was just asking man.

• http://lovoshovonovo.tw St. Jimmy

Tim Brown and Stacy Toran for me.

• http://aldavissucks.blogspot.com/ The Real GradkowskiRaider

Fair enough, Jimmy. My favorite active Raider when I was a kid was Marcus Allen. Since then, I really haven’t given much thought as to who my favorite player would be, in any sport.

• HairyBush

The Real GradkowskiRaider Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 12:24 pm
    ——————
    Childish? perhaps

I just look at it in a more mature manner like who best represents the Raiders in your mind, as opposed to an 11 year old having a man crush on Bo Jackson type of favorite player.

• http://lovoshovonovo.tw St. Jimmy

Thats cool man, Marcus was a great player, I liked him too.

• http://blackhillsphoto.com/sturgis-weddings/black-hills-weddings.jpg Dakota

When I was about 8 or 9 I saw this football card and I was a fan of the Raiders from that day forward….Howie looked badazz. I then threw my lot in with all the LA teams (a couple of years later I was converted to a Cubs fan by my stepdad and WGN).

Goooooo LA RAIDERS!
    Goooooo LAKERS!
    Goooooo KINGS!

• http://aldavissucks.blogspot.com/ The Real GradkowskiRaider

I was also a Laker fan when I was a kid. I outgrew that, too.

• Plunketthead

Frank Hawkins

• HayesDaze37

It’s STILL a great day to be a Raiders fan! Isn’t it?

What’s with all the whining? Where’s the mettle of the Raiders hardcore fan?

If this team cleans-up even half its own messes, it will win games. So, Janikowski had a real focked up day…I saw Zach Miller clang one that I could’ve caught, and it might’ve been the game winner.

If the team does what the weak-kneed on this forum do (i.e., sit around and whine about what mighta/coulda/shoulda been), they’d never have a chance to do better.

Last week was last week…get over it, and watch the team improve. They’re a lot closer to good than they are to bad.

Grads? One MAJOR brain cramp with the non-timeout, but he played a pretty good game. He had a few beautiful completions called back, remember. He did not play poorly at all.

McClain being criticized? Hot air. He misses a few, but makes more than some people are giving him credit for. He’s a rookie — not an excuse, just a fact — and he’s still playing AT LEAST at the level of a journeyman NFL linebacker. McClain’s doing fine, and will be excellent.

DHB?? Just keep feeding him the ball. DHB knows…yes, he KNOWS he can play with the big boys now.

Grads to DHB is saving Cable’s job. For the moment.

There are lots of things to be excited about still…like the return of Mike Bush, and the 250+ yds that Grads will put up on the Texans this week.

We’re getting there.

• Nnamdi21

Gradkowski’s problem is he gets injured.

He has to sacrifice and take the big hit in order to get rid of the ball. Thats not on him, thats on the O line and the inexperienced wides.

He makes things happen and buys those extra fractions of a second that mean the difference but pays for it.

We haven’t seen the last of Campbell this year I’m thinking.

Campbell’s likley working and studying hard. After playing behind that patch work O line, he knows he needs to.

• Plunketthead

4-5 at the bye

• JB

# The Real GradkowskiRaider Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 12:12 pm

********************

It’s tough at this point to give you what you are looking for as JC has only played 6 quarters as a Raider. I would submit that JaLoser was here for 3 years and did nothing remarkable. I don’t even consider JR as a legitimate NFL athlete. He was everything you didn’t want in a QB. Lazy, unprepared, unmotivated, careless, no leadership skills, the list goes on.

I don’t even want to think about that turkey. He screwed us for three years and it will take another two year to recover.

If your argument is to say JC is a bad or poor QB, I’d say not enough time has gone by to make that decision. Right now, Grads is the best choice for QB but I’m not sure ow long that will last. JC needs to clone Grad’s leadership skills, his enthusiasm, his mobility, his determination to succeed & his survivor ability. Likewise, Grad needs to clone JC’s arm strength, JC’s passing accuracy, JC’s ability to read defenses and JC’s NFL success in the red zone.

Grads takes many more chances with his throws. AZ could have easily picked off 4-5 passes last week if their CB’s could catch. Grad’s side arm throwing motion is dangerous. Grad throws before he thinks sometimes and he’s just been really lucky so far there haven’t been more INT’s.

JC on the other hand needs to make some changes if he wants to be successful here. He’d do well to take the things that Grad does well and emulate them.

• mistic1

# The Real GradkowskiRaider Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 12:21 pm

mistic1 Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 12:19 pm

…………..

=======================================================

Is this cat for real? LAST I CHECKED RUSSELL IS OUT OF THE NFL!!! HE WAS TRASHED FOR LACK OF WORK ETHIC AND PROFESSIONALISM, CAMPBELL IS NOT IN THAT CATEGORY. THIS ALONE IS PROOF THAT CAMPBELL IS A BETTER QB!

WHY ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT RUSSELL ANYWAY? THE QBS IN QUESTION ARE GRADS AND CAMPBELL!! COMPARED CAREER FOR CAREER CAMPBELL HAS PROVEN TO BE A BETTER QB.

BY THE WAY IF YOU KNOW FOOTBALL, (AND IT SEEMS LESS AND LESS LIKLY THAT YOU DO) WHEN A QB CHANGES TEAMS IT NORMALLY TAKES HIM A FULL SEASON BEFORE HE SHOWS WHAT HE CAN DO! JIM PLUNKETT ONE OF THE GREATEST QBS OF ALL TIME, RODE THE BENCH FOR ALMOST TWO YEARS WHEN HE CAME HERE. HOW ABOUT JAY CUTLER? DOES HE STILL LOOK LIKE A FISH OUT OF WATER? GET REAL, YOUR ARGUMENT IS WEAK UNINFORMED, AND LACKS MERIT!

• DKnight007

RaiderRockstar Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 8:01 am
    you guy are great at making excuses!

must be democrats

^^^^^^^^
    Yeah like some guys in here are living in fantasy land and like making up lies and being hypocrites and will sell their country out, to make themselves rich.

Must be GOP Republicans! LOL

• Plunketthead

4-3 the rest of the way for an 8-8 record and the satisfaction that the mules and the dolts will blow for years to come and Kansas Schiity will always be our little squaw after we beat them twice this year

• Plunketthead

Grads biggest problem is that he is not three inches taller

• aig-raiders

OMG we have a “the real gradkowski raider” now? This is the same fellow who was blasting Grad last year. lmao.

• http://blackhillsphoto.com/sturgis-weddings/black-hills-weddings.jpg Dakota

Garbagekowski’s biggest problem is that he has the talent to be a backup QB and that is it.

• aig-raiders

Plunk,

I’m with you on 4-5 by bye time. split between Hou/SD. 2/2 between SF, Sea, Den, and KC.

• http://blackhillsphoto.com/sturgis-weddings/black-hills-weddings.jpg Dakota

3-6 at the Bye if we are lucky.

• priesttj

Well said JB, people singing Grads praises now better hope he’s starting in 2 weeks let alone 2 years. If he plays as wreckless as he did vs the Cards he’ll be on a very short leash. He takes way too many chances wit the football.

I like him but I want him to settle down and use the talent around him better. He should’ve checked it down several times to DMC for a safer yards and completions instead near disastrous picks. Play more under control and we can beat the Texans. People in here seem to write off every miscue he makes because he’s fiery. Well that is a mediocre way of looking at what he doing in reality. He could’ve put the game away long before that final kick.

That fcat may be lost on his fans but trust me it aint lost on the coaches and he has to play better………….period

• Plunketthead

RMR has seen the light. He is now a big Al Davis fan.
    Something about a burning bush and three SB trophies.

• Plunketthead

Who here said Bruce will lead us to the promised land?

All I have seen is people saying he is better then anyone we have seen in the past 6 years.

• mistic1

# Plunketthead Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Grads biggest problem is that he is not three inches taller
    =========================================================
    Grads is not an accurate passer, and he makes poor decisions. These are his fatal flaws. when you add that to his hieght, and his lack of arm strength this spells disaster and equals career back up.

I like the guy as a back up for our team, and im ok with him as a starter for the interim. But in the long run he wont cut the mustard.

• The Big Banana

You have only seen 6 quarters!

========================================

LOL! And it made you want to see more? 6 quarters was enough for the coaches and a majority of the fans, as evidenced by the chants for Bruce. He’s the best option on this team. Get over it!

• LA to TheBay

All I know is that the last time we won two games in a row (2008), the offense was starting to click and our #1 pick was playing well.
    ——————————–

Knapp was demoted prior to the 2 game winning streak.

Russell was playing quite well to close out 2008. He was reading the field and delivering the ball.

Then 2009 happened. Not two months after the guy is cut, he’s busted for sippin what we all knew he was sipping. You wanted another Marinovich to be hanging around, getting the pass while everyone else worked hard?

• mistic1

Grads does take a lot of chances, too many in my opinion. However EVEN WHEN HE MAKES THE RIGHT DECISION THE FACT REMANIS HE IS NOT ACCURATE ENOUGH OF A PASSER TO GET THE BALL WHERE IT NEEDS TO GO ON A CONSISTENT BASIS. cASE AND POINT 2 TIMES HE HAD DHB OPEN IN THE ENDZONE ONE SAILED OUT OF BOUNDS, THE OTHER HIT THE DB IN THE ASS!!!! IS ANYBODY ACTUALLY WATCHING THE GAME?!?!/!/

• Plunketthead

7 years of losing bigtime has only made my Raider blood run faster .
    The bond between Al, the Oakland Raiders and I is like three chains woven as one.
    Every game is a new beginning. The past does not matter and this week the Boots will have a sad flight back to craptown

• LA to TheBay

———————–

Jay Cutler played well before going to Chicago and Plunkett once upon a time was rookie of the year.

No comparison.

• Thec07

Grads to DHB is saving Cable’s job. For the moment.

+++++++++++++++++

Grads to MURPHY is also a good connection….
    They have great chemistry….

• aig-raiders

Mistic

I’m watching the game alright. I’m watching us march right down and answer the opening TD. I’m watching Grad put the team in position to win the game on that final drive. I’m watching Murphy ranked as the 14th ranked receiver in the league for yards. I’m watching DHB gets more reception than Craptree. I’m watching the Raiders offense ranked in the top 10 for yardage production.

Can you tell me who is responsible for this? JC? Heck no. Open your eyes.

When was the last time our offense ranked in the top 10 for yardage?

• Thec07

Also had the Raiders as being a top 7 defense….
    As of right now number 2 in all the land…..

• The Big Banana

Grads taking chances is both good and bad. He pushes the ball down the field and that netted us some PIs in the last game. He needs to be a bit more careful, though, for sure. We all saw the dropped picks. There’s no denying them. Fact remains, with him at QB, our offense can move the ball. He’s a leader and he involves the WRs. JC plays scared and doesn’t know what to do in the face of pressure.

Bottom Line: Grads is our best option right now.

• Plunketthead

All I wanted out of Jason was medicore, middle of the road QB play and I got
    JR – syrup + experiance = Jason Campbell

I just hope he proves me wrong and becomes the best QB since Plunkett

• LA to TheBay

RaiderRockstar Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 11:35 am
    LA to TheBay: looking back, do you think we should have traded Nnamdi & Walrus for Big Ben?

Tempting, but no. Well, maybe. It’s not as if we use Aso right, anyway.

Problem is, who would take his place? We’d be in real trouble, unless the front 7 was seriosly bolstered. And I don’t mean two good rookies.

I mean like Dallas or Pittsburgh good.

• Thec07

Questions for all you “semi pro” bloggers;
    where is houston ranked against the run?
    where is houston ranked against the pass?
    where does oakland rank against the run?
    where does oakland rank against the pass?

• Thec07

Which team has the most sacks going into week 4?

• mistic1

# The Big Banana Says:
    September 29th, 2010 at 12:49 pm

You have only seen 6 quarters!

========================================

=====================================================

You dont read my post do you? After 6 quarters it was determined that jc doesnt have a firm enough grasp of the system, so he was replaced by grads. After listnening to hue jack im ok with that. This is not the same as saying grads is a better qb! this means that in the interim, for the time being, and at the moment grads gives us a better chance to win. FOR THE LAST TIME, MY POINT IS IN THE LONG RUN CAMPBELL WILL PROVE TO BE BETTER THAN GRADS HERE IN OAKLAND. SIMPLY A MATTER OF LEARNING THE OFFENSE AND THE PLAYERS AROUND HIM. GRADS IS A STOP GAP, A BAND AID, A STUNT DOUBLE, A SECOND BANNANA!

iM BASING MY ARGUMENT ON WHAT I HAVE SEEN FROM THE 2 QBS OVER THEIR CAREERS, AND NOT THE NEAR SIGHTED SKEWED VIEW OF SIX QUARTERS. REMEMBER ALL OF YOU, IN THE LONG RUN IS WHAT I AM CONCERNED WITH, NOT INSTANT GRATIFICATION. SPEAKING OF INSTANT GRATIFICATION, BRUCE HAS PLAYED POORLY WHILE HE HAS BEEN IN, BE HONEST AND WATCH THE GAMES FOR WHAT THEY REALLY ARE.

• Thec07

What team has the worst pass D in the league?