Blackout streak reaches nine

The Raiders announced Sunday’s game against Houston had not sold out 72 hours in advance and would be blacked out on local television.

It’s the ninth straight home blackout for the Raiders, with the last home game on television being last year’s Monday night season opener against the San Diego Chargers.

The Raiders have 78 blackouts in 122 home games since moving back to Oakland in 1995.

Asked about blackouts in a Sirius Radio appearance today, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said the following about the blackout issue:

“When you look at the blackouts, we used to have 35-40 percent of our games blacked out in the 70s, 80s and even into the early 90s. Those numbers were extraordinarily high. We actually have a very small number of blackouts within the last couple of years but we also recognize it’s a challenging time for our fans.

“To be able to take your family to an NFL game it’s a big commitment for people and we have to be sensitive to that as clubs and as a league. And I think we are. And I think that’s a continuing challenge for us. We also look at it as how do we make the event itself, so when you do go to our stadiums, a great event. We want it to be a positive experience, a memorable experience and something that people will want to come back and do more. But we can’t be naïve to what’s going on out there to our fans and the kind of environment we’re operating in right now.”

Goodell seems to have softened at least a little from hardline stance on blackouts, but he’s a long way from suggesting the league eliminate them.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• http://aldavissucks.blogspot.com/ The Real GradkowskiRaider

Did you guys hear Greg Giraldo died? OD’d on pills, I guess. He was a comedy central regular, always did the roasts, etc.

• priesttj

Truth be told the NFL is just way too greedy, it’s archaic at best the way they charge for parking preseason games. With all the TV money they blackout local games from poor people who would love to go but can’t. And what about the people who are infirmed or with special circumstances.

• Ghost to the Post

Fans are fans, I would hope they are rewarding themselves for hard work and a love of the Raiders.

• ljotherbutler

I live in the central valley, And I still find a way to go to three to five games a year. Haven’t missed a season opener since they came back.Would just like to see the games I can’t afford to go to be televised.

• DKnight007

This game will come down to the DEFENSE being able to get to Schaub and contain Foster and causing Turnovers!!

The offense needs to mix up the play calling also and the special teams need to actually be special also.

Penalties need to be cut in half also.

• http://blackhillsphoto.com/sturgis-weddings/black-hills-weddings.jpg Dakota

Oh jeez, what the hell do you people want now, subsidized entertainment for all too? It is a business, they want to make money. PERIOD.

• mistic1

# Dakota Says:
    September 30th, 2010 at 3:51 pm

mistic1 Says:
    September 30th, 2010 at 3:49 pm
    By the way can we have a rule where posters are blacked out/ banned from this board if they have not actually seen the game!!!! So many people on this board seem to base their opinions, on various blogs, news programs and articles, highlight shows and so on. yet they go on and on as if they are holding clip boards on the sideline!
    ++++++++++++++

Like those that claimed McFadden sucked in the preseason based on a box score…oh, you mean you didn’t see the 2 defenders that were in the backfield before he was handed the ball?
    ==========================================================

Exactly what im talking about!!!

• http://aldavissucks.blogspot.com/ The Real GradkowskiRaider

Dakota, what’s wrong with subsidized entertainment? You make it sound like it’s morally wrong.

• mistic1

# exlaraiderseasonticketholder Says:
    September 30th, 2010 at 3:51 pm

North Carolina Bank sues Sapp for almost $1 mil
    sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-sapp-loan
    ===============================================================
    Al Davis should sue sapp for robbing him of all that money for those horrible years he gave us

• SinceFrankYouellField

I saw the game. Have my own opinions/observations. The replays, hightlight films and “expert” analysis are icing that sometimes reinforce what one saw.

• http://blackhillsphoto.com/sturgis-weddings/black-hills-weddings.jpg Dakota

Look at Norco Bob, he makes it to all the games, even if it means living in a small 1967 mobile home and not paying his child support for 9 months a year, and keeping his dead mom in a back room closet to collect her social security checks.

It takes sacrifice baby!

Just kidding Bob!

• http://aldavissucks.blogspot.com/ The Real GradkowskiRaider

Season ticket holders should sue Al Davis. False advertising over the past 7 years. 7 counts.

• http://aldavissucks.blogspot.com/ The Real GradkowskiRaider

You weren’t kidding, Dakota. That’s Bob alright.

• Ghost to the Post

That’s why everything cost so much today already is because of all the sue happy people in the world. Just earn your money. You’ll respect yourself more.

• SinceFrankYouellField

GradkowskiRaider: You are a day late with your news, taking things out of context, and stating them as fact. The maid said she saw a letter that she took out in the trash. Allred has no such letter. Yesterday’s news. Todays is that Whitman has provided the press with the evidence she was given (including copies of SS info and driver’s license provided at the time of hiring)…along with verification from the agency for which the maid worked.

• http://blackhillsphoto.com/sturgis-weddings/black-hills-weddings.jpg Dakota

The Real GradkowskiRaider Says:
    September 30th, 2010 at 3:58 pm
    ++++++++++++++

It is just plain ignorance for fans to expect a free product. If you can’t afford a game, then tough luck. Get a second job. Divorce your wife. Don’t have so many kids. Jezuz

• http://morbidanatomy.com A.B. Paine III

Beecham, are you still hanging in the kiddy pool drinking Coors Light and pretending your in Cancun?

• mistic1

Im a raider fan bra, watching the game a day late because it was blacked out beats missing my beloved raiders all together. besides it gives me a chance to form my own opinion about what i see instead of having to rely on everyone else!

• DKnight007

The Real GradkowskiRaider Says:
    September 30th, 2010 at 4:01 pm
    Whitman’s toast! Proof came out she was lying about not knowing that her maid was here illegally. They found a written note by her husband to SS, signed and dated from ‘03. Republicans just can’t help themselves. Jerry Jerry Jerry!

^^^^^^^^
    She was toast before that came out!

No way in hell a lying cheating Republican will be elected in this state again after the whole Arnold fiasco, which hurt the Republicans even more!

Did you see her blatantly avoid the Jerry Brown questions to her regarding her special funding program and which rich special interests held accounts for her??

She completely avoided it.

She is done!

• SinceFrankYouellField

Well, enough waiting for GradkowskiRaider to respond. Hopefully, he put down yesterday’s newspaper and is listening to today’s news on the radio…..not that facts will ever survive his distortions….whether political or sports-related.

Goin out with the bride. Later guys.

• DKnight007

Dakota Says:
    September 30th, 2010 at 4:02 pm

It takes sacrifice baby!

Just kidding Bob!

^^^^^^^^
    Bob loooooves the blackouts and so do I, cause I can watch the game for free online, BBQ at home, have some brews and get some work done, along with watching the other games also.

• daraider09

Just another alternative to watch the game, I went to Fry’s Electronics and bought an HD indoor antenna for $50. I live in Roseville, I pointed it toward Chico and was able to pick up their local TV. Crystal-clear and perfect HD. This is because HD programming is digital so there is no fuzzy picture; it is all or nothing. The ranges onthe antenna’s vary depending on the model you buy. There were more expensive models for anywhere between $65-$130. I know the signal I am picking up s about 35 miles (Marysville I think) from my house, so it is pretty good range. It took 5 mins to setup and no hassle since it is not outdoors and no need to be mounted on your house. I wish I had thought of this years ago! Maybe you guys can try it if you live in certain areas, for instance I know Fresno also broadcasts the games so if you are in the central valley you might possible point towards there. Just sharing this valuable info!

• daraider09

Also put me down for Raiders 27 Texans 21 (since I dont want to bet against my team).

• ljotherbutler

Thanks for the info Daraider09, I’ll give it a shot

• DutchRaider77

The NFL would be racking in the cash if they did not make that deal with Direct TV. Sombody in the NFL is has some shaddy deal with Direct TV. I do not want a dish! I prefer watching football from my living room, on a big screen TV. I would actually pay to watch the Raiders on TV.

The combination of traffic/idiot fans/bathrooms lines and just time. It is like a 8 hour day to get back and forth from the game. I try to make it to two games a year, just to support the team. As I said the idiot fans, not just Raider fans, but everywhere. The worst are the ones who just sit and talk $hit to the opposing teams fans and do not even watch the game. I have missed a enite quarter of a game just to get a round of beers.