Raiders injury list still a long one

News, notes and quotes from Thursday’s media availability sessions:

– Richard Seymour made it back on the field Friday and was limited during practice, and while John Henderson was out again, coach Tom Cable was extremely optimistic about his return.

Henderson missed practices all last week before being inactive against Arizona and hasn’t practiced this week either. Given he is listed at 335 pounds and has a foot injury, Cable was asked if the recovery process could take awhile.

“No, it’s sore. He’ll play this week. I expect him to work
tomorrow,’’ Cable said. Today is more (precautionary). Let’s not overdo it here.’’

– Players listed as limited included WR Louis Murphy (clavicle), G Cooper Carlisle (knee), G Langston Walker (elbow), Seymour (hamstring), G Daniel Loper (knee) and CB Chris Johnson (ankle).

Players who didn’t practice were LG Robert Gallery (hamstring), WR Chaz Schilens (knee), LB Ricky Brown (hamstring), Henderson (foot), S Hiram Eugene (hamstring), LB Travis Goethel (lower back) and CB Jeremy Ware (ankle).

RB Michael Bush (thumb), FB Marcel Reece (neck) and LB Quentin Groves (ribs) were listed as being injured but having participated fully.

Cable said that Murphy was “dramatically’’ better than he was Wednesday, but conceded upper body issues in terms of pain are more of an issue for wide receivers than for some other positions.

– Given the number of weapons the Texans have at their disposal, and the fact that Andre Johnson hasn’t practiced this week with a high ankle sprain, cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha isn’t likely to shadow Houston’s top receiver the way he did Larry Fitzgerald.

“Nnamdi’s not the focal point of this game,’’ defensive coordinator John Marshall said. “If we don’t give an outstanding team effort, so what if 80 catches one ball and you lose the game. That’s not the focus.’’

Johnson was listed as not having practiced, although Cable said he went through individual drills. Houston coach Gary Kubiak said Johnson is a game-time decision, Cable declared him ready to play _ which is the only sensible way to look at it.

“He very much will play. There’s no doubt in our minds,’’ Cable said. “ We don’t even look at it that way. If we did, it really wouldn’t change anything. It may free up a couple of guys to maybe get more involved in some things. He’s going to play so there’s no thought of that.’’

Asked what makes Johnson special, Raiders cornerback Stanford Routt said, “ I think it’s just the animal in him. He’s fast. He’s strong. He’s big. He’s physical. He’s not afraid to go across the middle. He has everything you’d want in a receiver. Everything.

– Marshall sees the Raiders No. 2 defensive ranking for what it is _ an indication that the Raiders may not be giving up a ton of yardage while at the same time realizing there are improvements that need to be made in other statistical benchmarks that carry more weight.

“Scoring defense is most important, red zone defense is critical, which carries over into scoring defense,’’ Marshall said. “Third down is important, getting off the field . . . turnovers . . . but number one is scoring.’’

The Raiders are ranked 24th in scoring defense (25.3 points per game) are 21st on third down (15-for-38, 39.5 percent) and are 32nd in red zone defense (7-for-8).

– Touchdowns may be eluding the Oakland offense, but it’s been raining first downs.

The Raiders have 21, 25 and 20 first downs, through three games, their longest in-season run of 20-plus games since 2002.

The only other time in the last seven years the Raiders even went back-to-back was 2005, getting 21 against Kansas City and 20 against Denver.

When the Raiders won the AFC title in 2002, they opened the season with seven straight games of 20 or more first downs, and later had a streak of five.

Running back Darren McFadden is tied with Adrian Peterson of Minnesota for second in the NFL with 21 first downs, six behind Houston running back Arian Foster.

—Raiders quarterback Bruce Gradkowski had two tryouts for the Texans in 2008 but wasn’t offered a job either time.

“The first time, they had two quarterbacks on the roster but never made a move,’’ Gradkowski said. “Then they brought me back awhile later and it was unfortunate _ I got a tweak running the 40-yard dash. That’s when Schaub was hurt, so they signed someone else.’’

The Texans instead went with Craig Nall, who was on the for about a month.

Recalled Kubiak: “Since he’s taken over, you could look at it and say he’s 2-0, given the situation (against Arizona). We worked him out a couple of years ago when Matt was hurt. Every time he’s gotten a chance, whether it was with (Jon) Gruden or the Raiders, he’s done some good things.’’

—Stripped of his playcalling duties in Oakland and ousted as offensive coordinator in the Jim Mora regime after a single season, Greg Knapp has resurfaced as the quarterbacks coach for the Texans.

Kubiak brought in Rick Dennison from Denver to be the coordinator. Knapp was hired in part because he has a history with quarterback Matt Schaub, who was with the Falcons as backup to Michael Vick when Knapp was offensive coordinator.

“I was trying to do what was best for our quarterback and the relationship was excellent,’’ Kubiak said. “Greg does an excellent job coaching quarterbacks. He helps me a great deal from a scheme standpoint in game planning and preparation in the passing game.’’

– Can’t watch the Raiders Sunday, but it will be possible to chart Kirk Morrison’s progress locally. KPIX 5, the local CBS affiliate, will air Indianapolis at Jacksonville with the Raiders blacked out.

– Some observations from former Raiders coach John Madden during his Sirius radio show “Madden Football’’ on George Blanda, who died Monday at age 83:

On Blanda’s legacy as a football player, not a specialist

“He hated to be called a ‘kicker.’ If anyone says ‘kicker George Blanda’ or ‘George Blanda comma kicker,’ he hated that. He wanted to be known as a football player. And he was a football player, who played quarterback and also kicked. That’s what he wanted to be known as. There was a time when he was with the Chicago Bears and he wasn’t playing much quarterback so he told George Halas that he just wanted to play, so he played linebacker. That was the type of guy he was. He was a quarterback that could play NFL football as a linebacker.’’

How Blanda operated in a crucial situation

We’re playing Cleveland, and we’re behind and on the goal line. He comes over, we take a timeout, and I’m going through [play calls], ‘Let’s do this. Let’s go far right 16. No no no, I don’t want to do that. Let’s go far left 7. No no, let’s go near left 65…’ So I’m just bumbling, stumbling trying to find a run down there on the goal line and George said to me, ‘I’ll tell you what, coach, if you let me throw three slants in a row to Warren Wells, I’ll guarantee you a touchdown.’

“I said ‘You’ll guarantee it?’ He said ‘Yeah, I’ll guarantee it.’ I said ‘Well, that’s a hell of a lot better than anything that I have.’ So first down, he throws a dirt ball on a slant to Warren Wells. Second down, he throws a touchdown. That was George Blanda. I’m the coach and I’m thinking goal line run, this is what I want. He’s thinking, ‘What the heck are you talking about? Just put the ball in my hands and I’ll win the doggone game for you.’”

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• priesttj

DHB hasn’t even scratched the surface yet, he’s got a lot to learn as far as running precise routes and finishing routes. But I think that’s the final part of what he has to learn. He competes now he just doesn’t understand how to use his body and take advantage of his athletic ability. He’s doing it all just on athletic ability and competitive instincts but when he actually knows what he’s doing out there he is going to be dominant. He has the size and athleticism of Fitzgerald and AJ but with world class speed. He just hasn’t learned the tricks of the trade and that’s the final part. Even now they can’t cover him but he doesn’t know how to finish his route(present himself to the ball). Most think he can’t catch but that’s not it, he’s just not quite polished yet.

• HairyBush

Those who are bashing Stanford Routt need to watch some game film, he’s been respectable.

priesttj Says:
    October 1st, 2010 at 11:24 am
    ———————-
    He can start by not jumping every time he goes to catch a pass.

• http://blackhillsphoto.com/sturgis-weddings/black-hills-weddings.jpg Dakota

priesttj Says:
    October 1st, 2010 at 11:24 am
    +++++++++++

Do you think Sanjay Lal is getting the job done? There has been some improvement from last year to this year. Lal doesn’t seem to have a ton of experience though.

• HairyBush

Arien Foster over/under 150 yards rushing- weigh in now.

I say under by a hair.

• http://blackhillsphoto.com/sturgis-weddings/black-hills-weddings.jpg Dakota

Ouch…recent poll:

Only 39% of voters say they would re-elect the Prez.

• HairyBush

Lal should not be in the NFL.

• Just Fire Baby

Way under.

90 yards with a fumble.

• http://blackhillsphoto.com/sturgis-weddings/black-hills-weddings.jpg Dakota

Priesttj,

Sorry about getting mouthy with you the other day. You and I don’t have to see eye to eye on everything. I know one thing about you, you are a true and passionate Raider fan, and I respect that, and if I have a difference of opinion with you I shouldn’t let it get so personal.

7+ years of losing has us all on edge.

Just Fire Baby Says:
    October 1st, 2010 at 11:29 am
    Way under.

90 yards with a fumble.
    —————–
    That would be great, I just have this vision that it will be similar to the 1st game. (stop him many times than big run) I hope your right, just don’t see it. I think we will contain the passing game. (for the most part)

• raiderlaker1980

DHB does have very good competitive instincts, beyond the nuances of body control, he also has to improve his football instinces i.e. knowing when to high point a ball, and when to run under it, knowing when to set his man up for a back shoulder grab, and when to position himself for a sideline snag, his improvement has been fun to see though

• HairyBush

7+ years of losing has us all on edge.
    —————————
    I agree with that, I was having a meltdown after the Cards game lol

• raiderlaker1980

that should say football instincts

• Just Fire Baby

DHB is like the 7’1 guy from Cameroon who just started playing Basketball at 17 years old.

Off the charts talent, very little polish.

He could become Hakeem Olajuwon or he could become Yinka Dare

• HairyBush

I’m making a risky move in my fantasy league, I’m starting DHB. I think with the pass defense the Texans have combined with the fact that Bruce has been trying to involve him a lot will translate into his breakout game. 110 yards and a TD- print that!

Yinka Dare
    ——————-
    you said Yinka Dare lol

• http://blackhillsphoto.com/sturgis-weddings/black-hills-weddings.jpg Dakota

Yinka Dare?

LMAO…blast from the past!

• HairyBush

I mean seriously how can you be succesful with a name like Yinka.

• Just Fire Baby

Or as Nets fans called him:

Yinka the stinka

• raiderlaker1980

lol a Yinka reference, wth were you watching, nba tv all morning? LMAO

• HairyBush

Surprised that Al hasn’t mandated that Mitchell and Jacoby get more playing time this year.
    ——————–
    I wonder if it’s a power struggle behind the scenes, or simply put they are not ready. I think Jacoby has potential, but I see MM34 as a wasted 2nd round pick. I think the most use we will get out of MM34 is him doing something like the RoMac body slam against the Rams to intimidate. Lord knows he can’t cover or do a fundamental tackle. Yes he can hit, but what will be the ratio of his screw ups to blow up hits? Probaly not in the Raiders favor- Just sayin

• HairyBush

Stevie Brown on the other hand is all right in my book.

• http://blackhillsphoto.com/sturgis-weddings/black-hills-weddings.jpg Dakota

I remember when Yinka was coming into the nba…next great thing….right along side of Baby Jordan aka Harold Miner.

What a joke.

• Just Fire Baby

The MM34 missed tackle on the opening kickoff last week was terrible.

He just lowers his head and goes flying in. No breakdown, no wrap-up, zero fundamentals.

Kimbo Mitchell at his finest.

• http://atm Raider O

DR,

We don’t have a 1st RD pick, but we can add a few guys in later RDs & FA.
    I hope the Wis lasts.

• HairyBush

Kimbo Mitchell at his finest.
    —————–
    nice!

• raiderlaker1980

the least discussed idea for fixing our LT situation.. it would really be nice if we signed Mcneil in FA this offseason. he reported last week, so he’ll still be eligible as an ufa coming up, then we can look to upgrade elswhere in the draft, but that will solve the revovling LT door in one move imo

• SnB offense defense specialteams

Kimbo Mitchell — HA, HA, HA

————————
    That would be nice, But I would be surprised if he didn’t stay with the dischargers. Logan Mankins anyone?

• DKnight007

IslandRaider Says:
    September 30th, 2010 at 10:09 pm
    Look at it this way Al, Since coming back to Oakland, TV blackout rates are about 68-69% of games at home, and the loosing percentage of games played over the last 7 years is about 73%.

What kind of nonsense is this. If I ran my companay with those numbers, I’d be, well, not in a good place.
    I know you’re the owner and such, and you can do what the hell ever you like, but as a fan this in unbearable.

Now, lets’ bring back Coach Gruden and get those %’s to an acceptable level. That’s a sure fire solution, big divedends, quickly I might add, and you just sit back and enjoy the show.

^^^^^^^^
    Agreed….the old man Al just doesn’t get it does he?

It’s simple….if he wants season tickets to shoot through the roof then you give Harbaugh or Gruden what they want to to get this franchise back to respectability.

Most of if not all the Raider Nation will feel convinced the old man wants to truly win and they will buy a crap load of season tickets.

Simple….but to the old man Al it isn’t.

His evil “advisors” (Herrera and Taylor) know damn well, that if Gruden or Harbuagh are hired, they will clean house in the front office and no good lap dogs like Herrera and Taylor will lose their jobs!

• http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ KoolKell

Raiderlaker1980 Says:
    October 1st, 2010 at 11:52 am

————————————
    Anything involving Al Davis making any more roster moves. is NOT the answer. Just more of the same.

• SnB offense defense specialteams

Raiderlaker1980,

The Raiders thought Henderson could get the job done. He showed some promise but has clearly regressed badly. Sort of what happens in this league once coaches breakdown all of your tendencies.

The Raiders have gone with a shoe string budget on the O-Line and they are now paying the price.

Still amazing that Campbell can’t even get activated…

• DKnight007

HairyBush Says:
    October 1st, 2010 at 11:44 am
    Stevie Brown on the other hand is all right in my book.

^^^^^^^
    Stevie Brown will only keep getting better and better!

• raiderlaker1980

Mankins would be nice, but we’d have to trade for him, he hasn’t reported, so his year of eligibility won’t be acrued, and Lord knows we consistantly give the pats too much when trading, of course this is all forshadowing, but who are the other fa linemen? those are the only two I know of for sure that are avail, and Mankins is via trade only

• HairyBush

I was hoping for a big offseason trade aqquision to come aboard before the season started, but I quickly remembered Al only does that every other year.

2005-Candy Floss
    2007-Meangelo Hall
    2009-Dick Seymour
    2011-Logan Mankins

———————-
    very perceptive :)

• raiderlaker1980

SNB

Campbell must be a really slow learner, or this team is really stubborn in regards to moving on from failed projects(I’ll let you be the judge on which one is more likely to be the case)it indeed has been shoe string and boy scout knots type patchwork on the o line, and the tackle spots are where we are suffering most. Carlisle isn’t above average, but he’s consistant. I can’t understand why Bruce hasn’t gotten a shot myself other than they either really feel he isn’t ready, or they just don’t want to admit Mario must go

• DKnight007

raiderlaker1980 Says:
    October 1st, 2010 at 11:59 am

^^^^^^^
    Trade Mike Mitchell and a 3rd Rounder in 2011 and a 2nd rounder 2012 for Logan Mankins!!

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Too bad Jano can’t say that.

Minute Bol!

• HairyBush

Even though the Pats will prob want a 1st rounder for Mankins, I ask you this- Would you rather a #1 pick that no matter how much “potential” he has, you really don’t know for sure if he will pan out in the NFL. Or…A known succesful commodity (aka Logan Mankins) you decide.

• mistic1

Wow i got killed last night! What the hell has happened to my boy Jerrod Johnson??!??! He looks like a shell of himself, this is not the same kid i have been watching for the last two years!!! He is clearly in a slump, a funk, maybe even a stupor!! Not only were his passes off target but he seemed like when he took off to run he was wading through molasses!

I have watched him for two years and have never seen him struggle like he has in two games this year!!

Some of you have already started selling this i dont know what im talking about garbage, but you are basing it on what you saw in one game. I base it on career over all ( but i certainly wouldnt want the jj from last night), the turn overs are extremely out of character for him.

His career numbers are off the chart: 7338 yds- 65td- against only 26 ints!

Lets see if he can pull himself out of it. We will revisit jj later in the season.

• CJ Legend 34

Maybe The Vikings would be willing to trade Brett Favre for a 20011- 2nd round draft pick?

Go and get him AL!!!! LOL.

RaiderRockstar Says:
    October 1st, 2010 at 12:05 pm
    Minute Bol!
    ——————
    he recently died near my house. (seriously)

• DKnight007

HairyBush Says:
    October 1st, 2010 at 12:02 pm
    ———————-
    very perceptive

^^^^^^^^
    It’s obvious.

Certain people who are constantly in the old mans ear in that building, don’t want TRUE change because they know they will lose their plush jobs with their undeserved salaries that they are NOT qualified for.

• priesttj

No problem Dakota, sometimes biy’s just gotta be bou’s we’re cool DAK….

DKnight007 Says:
    October 1st, 2010 at 12:08 pm
    HairyBush Says:
    October 1st, 2010 at 12:02 pm
    ———————-
    very perceptive

^^^^^^^^
    It’s obvious.

————————-
    It’s to bad one of us “common folk” couldn’t get Al to understand that.

• raiderlaker1980

HairyBush Says:
    October 1st, 2010 at 12:05 pm

———

Of course I’d prefer the known commodity, however my bitterness towards the pats for the tuck/moss/burgess/and then a 1st rounder for seymour, I’d like to think they owe us one, and they should settle for a 4th rounder for Mankins lol

Herrera/Taylor = Cheney/Rumsfeld

• priesttj

Boy’s just gotta be boy’s is what i meant to type.