Raiders injury list still a long one

News, notes and quotes from Thursday’s media availability sessions:

– Richard Seymour made it back on the field Friday and was limited during practice, and while John Henderson was out again, coach Tom Cable was extremely optimistic about his return.

Henderson missed practices all last week before being inactive against Arizona and hasn’t practiced this week either. Given he is listed at 335 pounds and has a foot injury, Cable was asked if the recovery process could take awhile.

“No, it’s sore. He’ll play this week. I expect him to work
tomorrow,’’ Cable said. Today is more (precautionary). Let’s not overdo it here.’’

– Players listed as limited included WR Louis Murphy (clavicle), G Cooper Carlisle (knee), G Langston Walker (elbow), Seymour (hamstring), G Daniel Loper (knee) and CB Chris Johnson (ankle).

Players who didn’t practice were LG Robert Gallery (hamstring), WR Chaz Schilens (knee), LB Ricky Brown (hamstring), Henderson (foot), S Hiram Eugene (hamstring), LB Travis Goethel (lower back) and CB Jeremy Ware (ankle).

RB Michael Bush (thumb), FB Marcel Reece (neck) and LB Quentin Groves (ribs) were listed as being injured but having participated fully.

Cable said that Murphy was “dramatically’’ better than he was Wednesday, but conceded upper body issues in terms of pain are more of an issue for wide receivers than for some other positions.

– Given the number of weapons the Texans have at their disposal, and the fact that Andre Johnson hasn’t practiced this week with a high ankle sprain, cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha isn’t likely to shadow Houston’s top receiver the way he did Larry Fitzgerald.

“Nnamdi’s not the focal point of this game,’’ defensive coordinator John Marshall said. “If we don’t give an outstanding team effort, so what if 80 catches one ball and you lose the game. That’s not the focus.’’

Johnson was listed as not having practiced, although Cable said he went through individual drills. Houston coach Gary Kubiak said Johnson is a game-time decision, Cable declared him ready to play _ which is the only sensible way to look at it.

“He very much will play. There’s no doubt in our minds,’’ Cable said. “ We don’t even look at it that way. If we did, it really wouldn’t change anything. It may free up a couple of guys to maybe get more involved in some things. He’s going to play so there’s no thought of that.’’

Asked what makes Johnson special, Raiders cornerback Stanford Routt said, “ I think it’s just the animal in him. He’s fast. He’s strong. He’s big. He’s physical. He’s not afraid to go across the middle. He has everything you’d want in a receiver. Everything.

– Marshall sees the Raiders No. 2 defensive ranking for what it is _ an indication that the Raiders may not be giving up a ton of yardage while at the same time realizing there are improvements that need to be made in other statistical benchmarks that carry more weight.

“Scoring defense is most important, red zone defense is critical, which carries over into scoring defense,’’ Marshall said. “Third down is important, getting off the field . . . turnovers . . . but number one is scoring.’’

The Raiders are ranked 24th in scoring defense (25.3 points per game) are 21st on third down (15-for-38, 39.5 percent) and are 32nd in red zone defense (7-for-8).

– Touchdowns may be eluding the Oakland offense, but it’s been raining first downs.

The Raiders have 21, 25 and 20 first downs, through three games, their longest in-season run of 20-plus games since 2002.

The only other time in the last seven years the Raiders even went back-to-back was 2005, getting 21 against Kansas City and 20 against Denver.

When the Raiders won the AFC title in 2002, they opened the season with seven straight games of 20 or more first downs, and later had a streak of five.

Running back Darren McFadden is tied with Adrian Peterson of Minnesota for second in the NFL with 21 first downs, six behind Houston running back Arian Foster.

—Raiders quarterback Bruce Gradkowski had two tryouts for the Texans in 2008 but wasn’t offered a job either time.

“The first time, they had two quarterbacks on the roster but never made a move,’’ Gradkowski said. “Then they brought me back awhile later and it was unfortunate _ I got a tweak running the 40-yard dash. That’s when Schaub was hurt, so they signed someone else.’’

The Texans instead went with Craig Nall, who was on the for about a month.

Recalled Kubiak: “Since he’s taken over, you could look at it and say he’s 2-0, given the situation (against Arizona). We worked him out a couple of years ago when Matt was hurt. Every time he’s gotten a chance, whether it was with (Jon) Gruden or the Raiders, he’s done some good things.’’

—Stripped of his playcalling duties in Oakland and ousted as offensive coordinator in the Jim Mora regime after a single season, Greg Knapp has resurfaced as the quarterbacks coach for the Texans.

Kubiak brought in Rick Dennison from Denver to be the coordinator. Knapp was hired in part because he has a history with quarterback Matt Schaub, who was with the Falcons as backup to Michael Vick when Knapp was offensive coordinator.

“I was trying to do what was best for our quarterback and the relationship was excellent,’’ Kubiak said. “Greg does an excellent job coaching quarterbacks. He helps me a great deal from a scheme standpoint in game planning and preparation in the passing game.’’

– Can’t watch the Raiders Sunday, but it will be possible to chart Kirk Morrison’s progress locally. KPIX 5, the local CBS affiliate, will air Indianapolis at Jacksonville with the Raiders blacked out.

– Some observations from former Raiders coach John Madden during his Sirius radio show “Madden Football’’ on George Blanda, who died Monday at age 83:

On Blanda’s legacy as a football player, not a specialist

“He hated to be called a ‘kicker.’ If anyone says ‘kicker George Blanda’ or ‘George Blanda comma kicker,’ he hated that. He wanted to be known as a football player. And he was a football player, who played quarterback and also kicked. That’s what he wanted to be known as. There was a time when he was with the Chicago Bears and he wasn’t playing much quarterback so he told George Halas that he just wanted to play, so he played linebacker. That was the type of guy he was. He was a quarterback that could play NFL football as a linebacker.’’

How Blanda operated in a crucial situation

We’re playing Cleveland, and we’re behind and on the goal line. He comes over, we take a timeout, and I’m going through [play calls], ‘Let’s do this. Let’s go far right 16. No no no, I don’t want to do that. Let’s go far left 7. No no, let’s go near left 65…’ So I’m just bumbling, stumbling trying to find a run down there on the goal line and George said to me, ‘I’ll tell you what, coach, if you let me throw three slants in a row to Warren Wells, I’ll guarantee you a touchdown.’

“I said ‘You’ll guarantee it?’ He said ‘Yeah, I’ll guarantee it.’ I said ‘Well, that’s a hell of a lot better than anything that I have.’ So first down, he throws a dirt ball on a slant to Warren Wells. Second down, he throws a touchdown. That was George Blanda. I’m the coach and I’m thinking goal line run, this is what I want. He’s thinking, ‘What the heck are you talking about? Just put the ball in my hands and I’ll win the doggone game for you.’”

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

raiderlaker1980 Says:
    October 1st, 2010 at 12:09 pm
    HairyBush Says:
    October 1st, 2010 at 12:05 pm
    Even though the Pats will prob want a 1st rounder for Mankins, I ask you this- Would you rather a #1 pick that no matter how much “potential” he has, you really don’t know for sure if he will pan out in the NFL. Or…A known succesful commodity (aka Logan Mankins) you decide.

———

Of course I’d prefer the known commodity, however my bitterness towards the pats for the tuck/moss/burgess/and then a 1st rounder for seymour, I’d like to think they owe us one, and they should settle for a 4th rounder for Mankins lol
    ——————–
    You don’t have to convince me, good luck explaining that to bellicheat lol. We did come out ahead in the Burgess deal (if nothing else)

• DMAC

Glad to see Jahvid Best playing well in the NFL. Whatever happened to Zack Follett?

• HairyBush

What does BSJ have to say about DMAC’s recent success? just curious.

biy’s just gotta be bou’s

::::::::::::::::::::::::

Priest, I thought you were rolling out some new west coast slang ala Brien…lol

• Just Fire Baby

Mistic1,

The senior bowl and those games are going to be huge for Johnson. The difference maybe between undrafted and a 4th or 5th round pick.

Pretty inaccurate and terrible decision-making is not what teams are looking for these days.

• HairyBush

sometimes biy’s just gotta be bou’s
    ——————————-
    Wasn’t sure if I wasn’t up to date with the latest slang lol

• HairyBush

BSJ you beat me to the punch with slang comment

HairyBush Says:
    October 1st, 2010 at 12:16 pm
    What does BSJ have to say about DMAC’s recent success? just curious.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

I have been humbly complementary of the job DMAC is doing, and quite pleased as well. Glad he finally listened to myself and Coach Southwick.

;)

• SnB offense defense specialteams

The Raiders should be looking at the 4th or 5th rounder on a QB. Maybe even a UFA. QBs are a crapshoot for the Raiders anyway.

They need to focus on the Offensive Line in the next draft. Get a Center, Tackle and Guard…

• priesttj

Naw man! My slang is really old school.

• http://blackhillsphoto.com/sturgis-weddings/black-hills-weddings.jpg Dakota

Bo Schembechler Jackson Says:
    October 1st, 2010 at 12:18 pm
    HairyBush Says:
    October 1st, 2010 at 12:16 pm
    What does BSJ have to say about DMAC’s recent success? just curious.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

+++++++++++++

We’ll see what you say the first time he loses a fumble….

• BigLefty

Nobody has said anything about all the hamstring injuries.

What is the Raiders strength and conditioning staff doing different than other teams that 10% of the roster has hammy issues?

Obviously something WRONG!!!!!

• http://blackhillsphoto.com/sturgis-weddings/black-hills-weddings.jpg Dakota

BigLefty Says:
    October 1st, 2010 at 12:20 pm
    Nobody has said anything about all the hamstring injuries.

Obviously something WRONG!!!!!
    ______________

Not enough pickel juice.

We’ll see what you say the first time he loses a fumble….

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Same thing you’ll say: “Sh!t, there goes another remote!”

• Just Fire Baby

Zack Follett, the highlight on the right is a monster hit.

• http://blackhillsphoto.com/sturgis-weddings/black-hills-weddings.jpg Dakota

Or pickle juice either….

• mistic1

# Just Fire Baby Says:
    October 1st, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Mistic1,

=============================================================

65 td vs. 26 ints doesnt equal inaccurate and terrible decision-making. But last night that is exactly who he was, we will see if this is a slump or has he fallen apart. Again 65 tds and 26ints, I watched him play a ton he has been very accurate and made great decisions….I dont knw what has happened to him thus far this year.

• HairyBush

BSJ, I will miss the trade DMAC for a used tampon comments. Can you humor me and have someone take his place? For example- trade Mike Mitchell for some 3 day old vomit that was regurgated by a california condor. Your turn…

• http://blackhillsphoto.com/sturgis-weddings/black-hills-weddings.jpg Dakota

Trade Mike Mitchell for toilet bowl corn.

• DMAC

Thanx JFB
    Was always a Follett fan.

HairyBush Says:
    October 1st, 2010 at 12:22 pm

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Trade Jon Condo for Barrett Robbins and a fifth of tequila!

• mistic1

I have another qb to watch, and I know most have you have never seen him either. Robert Griffith III!!!! RT3 sophomore qb Baylor U!

October 1st, 2010 at 12:23 pm
    Trade Mike Mitchell for toilet bowl corn
    ———————–
    that’s not funny man, I had to change my 2 year old’s diaper, it wasn’t pretty. lol

Trade Jon Condo for Barrett Robbins and a fifth of tequila
    ————————
    depends what brand

• DMAC
  • Just Fire Baby

Mistic1,

One bad year, hell two bad months, will wash away two good years in no-time.

Look at Jake Locker. Kiper said last weekend that he might have been taken #1 overall in last years draft, now he is thinking about playing baseball again!!!!

• http://blackhillsphoto.com/sturgis-weddings/black-hills-weddings.jpg Dakota

HairyBush Says:
    October 1st, 2010 at 12:25 pm
    October 1st, 2010 at 12:23 pm
    Trade Mike Mitchell for toilet bowl corn
    ———————–
    ______
    Where do you think cream corn comes from?

• HairyBush

Trade Chaz Shielens for a scarecrow! perhaps just as effective!

Even Dakota admitted DMAC was underachieving in 2009, so I have no qualms wth owning up to my previous McFelldown critiques. However he must stay healthy and still needs to catch more passes.

Dakota Says:
    October 1st, 2010 at 12:27 pm
    HairyBush Says:
    October 1st, 2010 at 12:25 pm
    October 1st, 2010 at 12:23 pm
    Trade Mike Mitchell for toilet bowl corn
    ———————–
    ______
    Where do you think cream corn comes from?
    ———————
    I try to block it out when my wife serves it. lol

HairyBush Says:
    October 1st, 2010 at 12:26 pm
    Trade Jon Condo for Barrett Robbins and a fifth of tequila
    ————————
    depends what brand

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

The brand with two prozac floating at the bottom instead of a worm

• Just Fire Baby

I hate USC, but I think that Barkley kid is going to be pretty good.

I see a lot of Matt Ryan in him. Not spectacular, but spectacularly solid.

• http://blackhillsphoto.com/sturgis-weddings/black-hills-weddings.jpg Dakota

Bo,

As soon as the o-line doesn’t need so much backup in pass protection (next year maybe?), McFadden will catch plenty of passes.

• DMAC
  • Just Fire Baby

Anyone else watching this “The Event” show on NBC?

For some reason, I feel like it is interesting, yet after two weeks it just seems far-fetched, confusing and kind of tedious.

I’m giving it 1, maybe two more weeks.

• http://blackhillsphoto.com/sturgis-weddings/black-hills-weddings.jpg Dakota

Trade Chaz for a pair of Dr. Scholl’s massaging gel insoles.

• DMAC

Later peoples!
    Go A’s!
    Go DUBS!
    Go Cal Bears!
    Go Fremont High Tigers!
    Go Raiders!

Dakota Says:
    October 1st, 2010 at 12:28 pm
    Bo,

As soon as the o-line doesn’t need so much backup in pass protection (next year maybe?).

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

HAHAHAHA! Leave it to Dakota to be ridiculously optimistic.

• http://blackhillsphoto.com/sturgis-weddings/black-hills-weddings.jpg Dakota

Just Fire Baby Says:
    October 1st, 2010 at 12:30 pm
    Anyone else watching this “The Event” show on NBC?

I’m giving it 1, maybe two more weeks.
    _______________

Nope. Are you watching that new show Outsourcing? 2nd episode was pretty funny….first one sucked. Also watching Boardwalk Empire on HBO…good stuff so far.

DMAC Says:
    October 1st, 2010 at 12:26 pm
    Trade “Stiff Armed” Eugene for a lunchable!!!!!!!
    ————————
    As in 1 lunchable? not even lunchables pluralized?
    I can see it on the transaction page… Hi-Ram Eugene traded for a lunchable, yes a lunchable. We tried to get more than 1, Unfortunetley the Bucs said we were being unreasonable so we had to pull the trigger.

• Just Fire Baby

No HBO, but I hear that Boardwalk Empire is really good.

Just Fire Baby Says:
    October 1st, 2010 at 12:30 pm
    Anyone else watching this “The Event” show on NBC?
    ———————
    I was going to give it a chance because I was a fan of lost, just didn’t get around to it.

• DKnight007

Dakota Says:
    October 1st, 2010 at 12:31 pm
    Just Fire Baby Says:
    October 1st, 2010 at 12:30 pm
    Anyone else watching this “The Event” show on NBC?

I’m giving it 1, maybe two more weeks.
    _______________

^^^^^^^^
    I stay away from watching Outsourcing….it just pisses me off seeing that, because it helped ruin the country to where it is now.

Boardwalk Empire is good stuff.

I like Nikita and Hawaii Five-O also….

How about a lunchable with an option for a Hawaiian Punch if he meets performance incentives.

Bo Schembechler Jackson Says:
    October 1st, 2010 at 12:35 pm
    ————————
    Your asking to much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!lol

• Just Fire Baby

So I know our O-line has issues, but seriously we have the #4 ranked total rushing offense, and 10th in YPC, with really no real blocking FB. They have to be at least good run blockers right?

Interesting that they have given up 9 sacks (3rd worst in the NFL) but only 15 QB hits which middle of the pack.

So they basically just wiff so bad they give up immediate sacks, but otherwise they are average in keeping their QB’s clean.

Also worth noting, rushing to the left we have one 10+ yard rush, up the middle 6, and to the right 4.

• http://blackhole@aldavisshouldbeonmountrushmore Drexl

# Just Fire Baby Says:
    October 1st, 2010 at 12:33 pm

No HBO, but I hear that Boardwalk Empire is really good.
    —————
    Not that impressed, story line is unbelievable. Have not bothered to watch the second episode yet. Seems to have been over hyped IMO. Lets blame the five dead mafia gin runners on an out of work handyman, that beats his wife.
    Young Al is the best part, and only for comic relief. Meh.

• http://blackhole@aldavisshouldbeonmountrushmore Drexl

# Bo Schembechler Jackson Says:
    October 1st, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Trade Jon Condo for Barrett Robbins and a fifth of tequila!
    ——————-
    Wrong on so many levels.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::

Mario is weak w/o Gallery in.

• HairyBush

I have trouble believing in Mario. If gallery makes Him better, than we are in trouble. (in regard to how much time Gallery has missed over last couple seasons)