Raiders add Davis, cut Alford

Concerned about their depth at linebacker, the Raiders signed Bruce Davis and released defensive lineman Jay Alford, beat writer Steve Corkran has confirmed.

The Raiders also waived cornerback Joey Thomas from injured reserve.

While it remains to be seen if Davis can be brought up to speed by Sunday when the Raiders face the Chargers, they came out of a 31-24 loss to Houston with two weak side linebackers, Quentin Groves and Thomas Howard, who weren’t able to finish the game. Groves had a hamstring pull, Howard a knee injury.

Ricky Brown, primarily a strong side and middle linebacker, was inactive because of a hamstring pull. Another linebacker, rookie Travis Goethel, has been out since the start of the season with a lower back injury.

If Davis is not an option against the Chargers and Groves and Howard are both out, the Raiders can either move Trevor Scott back to weak side linebacker, where he finished the 2009 season and played through training camp, or play alignments which utilize safety Mike Mitchell as a hybrid safety/linebacker. Mitchell subbed for Howard in the Raiders’ dime package Sunday.

Davis (6-foot-3, 252 pounds) was signed off the practice squad of the 49ers. He was a third-round draft pick, No. 88 overall, by the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2008. He played five games for the Steelers, was released at the end of the 2009 training camp, and spent October of 2009 through the remainder of the season on the practice squad of the New England Patriots.

Signed following the season and later waived, Davis was claimed by Denver but waived.

Davis is the son of former Raiders tackle Bruce Davis, who also attended UCLA and played with the Raiders from 1979-87.

Alford was signed by the Raiders Sept. 8.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• aig-raiders

God forbid we ever get a decent Oline and some WR’s that can catch for Bruce. There are those on here that thinks if we give him these tools he would truly sck! LMAO. I have never seen a QB plays worst with better tools and play better with worst tools. The logic for some of you is hilarious.

is it basketball season yet?

Go Heat!

• DMAC

RRS,
    Seymour had a few solid games…
    Kelly is garabage. Was ok when he played DE early in his career. The only thing I can rememebr about Kelly is this…. (and I’m not gay)

• DMAC

Oh yeah, Branch can play corner.

• The Big Banana

# SammyTheBull Says:
    October 6th, 2010 at 10:41 am

# mistic1 Says:
    October 6th, 2010 at 10:28 am

Grads cant see over the pass rush holds the ball and tries to get to the outside, but is sacked! Poor grads just wasnt built to make the play that a pro qb should be able to make.
    ===========================
    of course he could pull a Jason Campbell, which is either kneel down, like a coward, or butt slide, short of the 1st down.

===============================================

LOL! We go through this every day it seems.

• RAIDERMAN99

Grads is operating behind perhaps the worst OL in the NFL and even with a poor WR corps is still putting up points.

He’s turning dog food into filet mignon, and there’s still some myopic idiots here complaining about poor QB play.

Besides his failure to call a time out in Az, he’s been stellar.

Got news for you Grads detractors, he’s the heart and soul of this team. There’s absolutely no hope for the 2010 Raids without him. If he goes down it’s back to 10 points a game and 30 point blow out losses.

End of story.

• Just Fire Baby

Bruce has a higher QB rating than Brett Favre and Joe Flacco this year.

Give him Michael Oher, the rest of that O-line, and Boldin and Housh, a defense that gets turnovers and good field position, and he would be in the top 10-12 in QB rating.

I guarantee it.

• http://blackhole@aldavisshouldbeonmountrushmore Drexl

mistic1 Says:
    October 6th, 2010 at 11:03 am

satele runs right pass the dtackle and blocks noone!! Dmac gets nailed inthe backfield!!!
    ——————–
    It is a guaranty that this is going to happen to at least one Raider o-lineman every game. Satele was not alone missing blocks.
    I was amazed by the lack of penalties, I will call it an anomaly, and wait until next week. Cables wind sprint punishment is working wonders. Though maybe a few more wind sprints would cut through the fog of “hammygate”.

***

what are Howard & Branch looking at in that photo ???

• bcz24

Yeah. Thats what I said Rock… You are as bad as RealWhinyCharger when it comes to twisting peoples words around.

• mistic1

# The Real GradkowskiRaider Says:
    October 6th, 2010 at 11:00 am

Mistic, do you honestly expect any of us to believe that you’re not doing this to shill for Campbell?
    ===============================================================
    Lmafao!!!!!!

I couldnt give two squirts of piss about what you believe!

That is the difference between us, knowledge is superior to belief. I have watch have a knowledgeable take, you are operating on belief blind faith and hope. This is why you haven’t posted one thing that makes you sound like you have the slightest clue about football.

• Just Fire Baby

Amazing that Schaubb has the third most sacks in the NFL, and yet we could barely sniff him all game.

WTF!!!!

• Macho Man Randy Savage

Gotta love everybody always hating on the safeties! Where is that ol’ punching bag Stu?…

I guarantee it.

***

JFB, did you just recently buy a suit at the Men’s Warehouse or something ???

• J Hill

Just Fire Baby Says:
    October 6th, 2010 at 11:01 am

J,

Well how many points did you say he left on the field?

—————————————————–

Same thing I said in post 581!

• new englandraider

I agree, I’d like to see a rotational Safety lineup. On running downs MM34 and TB33.
    On passing downs MH24, and TB33.

I also like the 3 Safety looks. Granted it’s possible MM34 was playing a little LB on Sunday, if you watch the games over, you’d see that when we had 3 safeties of=n the field, our defense played rather well.

I am not ready to give up on Huff or Branch, but would like to see Brown and MM34 get some reps.

Also wouldn’t mind Seymour and Houston position swapping occasionally.

Trevor Scott should not, I repeat SHOULD NOT be playing on running downs. Instead of stretching plays out, he’s trying to go upfield and thus making other guys switch their own responsibilities.

Believe me, I played RDE in HS, and honestly I sucked at it, because I wanted to get after the QB. I went back to LB and played very well.

My point being, that you must be disciplined to play an end position. You must stop going up field and move more laterally. This is what I was coached. Believe me, they ran my way on purpose just to yell at my a$$. However it just didn’t change my mentality, I still wanted to kill the QB and when they ran a running play, I was out of position more times than not.

• The Big Banana

RAIDERMAN99 Says:
    October 6th, 2010 at 11:10 am

==============================================

Didn’t you know? When the O-line fails in blocking for DMAC, he gets a pass. But when the O-line fails for Bruce, he is supposed to make some magic. Read post 597. lol…

You are as bad as Jhill when it comes to twisting peoples words around

***

BCZ, round here we like to call that a plethora of propaganda

don’t we Banana?

• DMAC

Texans waived OG Shelley Smith.
    He’ll likely be re-signed to the practice squad. A developmental sixth-round pick out of Colorado State, he wasn’t getting any run on the active roster.
    ==============
    I don’t know who this guy is, but he might be better than any O-linemen we have.

• CJ Legend 34

What???? Please tell me you are drunk.
    —————————————–
    Just Fire Baby Says:
    October 6th, 2010 at 11:10 am
    Bruce has a higher QB rating than Brett Favre and Joe Flacco this year.

I guarantee it.

***

NE is back!

what do all the Patsie fans think about trading Moss away?

• new englandraider

DMAC

Why would you want Branch to play CB? Routt is doing very well on the outside. We have seen routt play the outside well over the years and struggle in the slot. We have also seen CJ37 play the slot better than he does the outside. Also, huff will be the guy to move to CB, not Branch.

By the way, how’s the Hammy? We’ll have to wait until after the bye week to see you again, I’m guessing.

Texans waived OG Shelley Smith.

***

DMAC, who in the world names thier son Shelley ???

• mistic1

# RAIDERMAN99 Says:
    October 6th, 2010 at 11:10 am

Besides his failure to call a time out in Az, he’s been stellar.

End of story.
    ============================================================
    Grads throws a horrible can of cream corn that wobbles into quadruple coverage?!?!?!?! The ball is tipped by the linebacker zoning underneath and ends up in the hands of the db!

This is certainly not stellar play!

• Just Fire Baby

Yes, when Satele missed a block for Darren, Cable should be fired.

When Walker misses a block that leads to a fumble, Grads is costing us the game and leaving points on the field.

• J Hill

When your defense give up 30 pts a game, the QB talk is just pure entertainment.

The holes at S HAVE to be plugged!!!!

Ok, the DT makes a mistake, should be a 5 yd run.

LB outta position, 10-15 td run.

Below average S play = TDs for the other team. It just takes ONE bad play from the S to = 7 pts.

• DMAC

Because he’s never where he’s suppose to be + has played well when covering receivers or RB’s in the slot.
    Branch is having a horrible season thus far.
    CJ is an excellent tackler. Give him a shot.

• mistic1

Unreal branch and huff having a worse game than they had in AZ!

• The Big Banana

lol. That’s right RRS. It’s called a “plethora of propaganda”. It’s in here every day.

• new englandraider

RRs

Over here, they’re all over Moss. It’s like that. When you do well, you’re the best ever, now they’re hating. Week 2, I went on my porch to take a few hits during a commercial and I here my neighbor screaming ” Oh what a catch” ” Randy Moss is fuggin nasty” Then I see him Monday and he starts all this randy Moss hype. Today, it was a good deal, Moss isn’t what he used to be, he didn’t catch a ball last game, yada, yada,yada.

One thing you must know RRS, the NE/BOS fans are the MOST front running, fair weather, bandwagoning fans there are.

• raiderzmaverick

For those still doing the Grads and JC argument. It’s not even a comparison. Those doing it must not have watched the first two games.
    If we had Campbell in there against Houston we would’ve been blown out just like the first game.

• Just Fire Baby

CJ Legend 34 Says:
    October 6th, 2010 at 11:17 am
    What???? Please tell me you are drunk.

************************************

Hey he is only 9 spots away from #12, and he does not have the options Flacco has.

IMO, improve just about every QB’s, WR’s, O-line and Field position to Baltimore Ravens level, and it will add close to 7-8 ranking in the QB ratings rankings.

• CJ Legend 34

BB you make good points man but I just don’t see Grads being a very good QB. I think he is a very good back up coming off the bench and he manages the game decent under fire. He reminds me alot of Charlie Bach in Pitts when he would back up Big Ben. He won games, managed the game well but did not have the talent to be a prolific QB in the league. It is not that they stink, they just don’t have the “it factor” like the big name QBs in the NFL. You will mostly hear he played good games, not he played great games!!!

——————————————————-
    The Big Banana Says:
    October 6th, 2010 at 11:15 am
    RAIDERMAN99 Says:
    October 6th, 2010 at 11:10 am

==============================================

• mistic1

Quadruple coverage!??!?!! How many guys were open on this play?

• DMAC

# RaiderRockstar Says:
    October 6th, 2010 at 11:18 am

Texans waived OG Shelley Smith.

***

DMAC, who in the world names thier son Shelley ???
    ===========
    Dave Duncan…(Cardinals pitching coach)
    Named his son Shelley
    (Ugly son of b_itch too!)

• mistic1

Dmac our best weapon, pulls a hammy again!!! we must lead the entire world in hammy pulls!

• Jmackraider12

J-hill just said it best, every person in here that talks about grads committing turnovers and losing us the game are idiots…IDIOTS…MORONS…..Our defense sucks!!! this is like 2004 all over again, score points but our defense wont get turnovers and wont stop the run, they suck..

• raiderzmaverick

And we should trade for a WR since we failed to sign anyone over the entire off season. Vikings just got Moss for a 3rd round pick.

• Jmackraider12

Mistic1, lol probly only one other guy running a route on that quadruple coverage pic, it was a play action max protection that was called

• new englandraider

Hill

What do you suggest we do at Safety. I really wanna see MM34 play more. Lets see what he can do. if he sux, he sux, whatever, but give him some time. The intimidation factor is huge in this league, look at JLH. After MM blew up Forcett, what happened on the next play? A drop.

I am certain huff isn’t scaring anybody trying to grab their hands, and sometimes their head to try to tackle them

• Macho Man Randy Savage

The Grads vs JC argument has been impressive. Its been 50 vs Mistic1, and Mistic1 has held his own using a bunch of slippery arguments. I tip my hat Mistic, keep on battling! ooooooooooooooooo yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeea!

• DMAC

BRUCE IS OUR STARTER…..

GET OVER IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• raiderzmaverick

Half of Grad’s interceptions are from balls bounding off the Receiver’s chest/hands and going then being intercepted.
    The only thing you can do about that is throw to RBs and Zach Miller all day. Well, actually….when he did that look…he completed like 90% of his passes to those two and like 10% to the WRs. We need better WRs. Even with our CRAP O-Line we still are dangerous. If we had someone who could get open and catch…..

• LA to TheBay

new englandraider Says:
    October 6th, 2010 at 11:15 am
    On passing downs MH24, and TB33.

Also wouldn’t mind Seymour and Houston position swapping occasionally.

—————————————–

This is the Al Davis Scholarship Program at work here, IMO.

Why would they play Scott a WLB the enitre camp and the 3rd or 4th preseason game, play him at end.

He is the primary reason we got Seymour.

Scott can’t set the edde even if he was trying to move laterally.

He is a converted TE that Al sees as being a great pass rusher. Dude is a situational 34 OLB at best. And he was in for MOST of the big running plays last Sunday, getting pushed around.

Shaunessey is a FAR better player, more well rounded and a natural fit for 43 DE. This makes no sense.

• J Hill

Yes, when Satele missed a block for Darren, Cable should be fired.

——————————————————-

Ok, man … DAMN!!!!!

I can’t believe you are crying about this. YOU even said he held the ball too long. You can say it but we can’t?

We should have had at least a FG on that drive if he is not trying to go deep again. Keep going to Miller and Dmac!

Or how about pulling it down and scrambling?

Walker vs Mario Williams 1 on 1?!?!?!?

Why on earth would Grads think he could hold the ball that long?

• bcz24

mistic1 Says:
    October 6th, 2010 at 11:23 am
    ***
    He was gone on that play if he doesnt pull up lame right? I havent watched it again yet, but that was the “homerun” we have been waiting for I think.

• CJ Legend 34

Mistic you are right and if anyone did not see him throw into triple and double coverage at times during the game is full of BS. Stop it with this Grads bandwagon BS! He is a B- QB on his best day!
    ————————————————–
    mistic1 Says:
    October 6th, 2010 at 11:21 am

Quadruple coverage!??!?!! How many guys were open on this play?

• LA to TheBay

edge*

• CJ Legend 34

bcz24 Says:
    October 6th, 2010 at 11:27 am
    mistic1 Says:
    October 6th, 2010 at 11:23 am
    ***
    —————————————————
    No, defense had the angle. He would have most likely went down on the play maybe another yard or two. I give him credit for trying to get to the corner.

Best player this year.

• new englandraider

Bay

I agree, I’d rather see Shaughnessy at RDE, or is it Bruce Campbell who wears 77?

Joke, Gus Johnson called Matt S, Bruce campbell at least 3x Sunday

But yes, I would like to see Shaughnessy play more. Even a snap or two at a DT position, to give these scrubs a little breather.