McClain returns, no surprises

Middle linebacker Rolando McClain was back on the field Friday after missing two days of practice because of a personal issue involving a death in the family.

As the Raiders finished warmups, drills and some special teams work, things were status quo with regard to availability to face the Chargers.

Running back Darren McFadden (hamstring), cornerback Walter McFadden, linebacker Travis Goethel (lower back) and running back Michael Bennett (hamstring) worked on a separate field with a member of the athletic training staff and are expected to be inactive Sunday.

Those who were not present and also won’t play included left guard Robert Gallery (hamstring), defensive tackle John Henderson (stress fracture), linebacker Thomas Howard (knee) and wide receiver Chaz Schilens (knee).

Starting weak side linebacker Quentin Groves (hamstring) went through some early drills at a leisurely pace then became a spectator with his helmet off.

Early indications are that new acquisition Bruce Davis will be active and utilized on special teams.

More to come . . .

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• PurpleDrank81

What DHB isnt the second comin of Jerry Rice?????? Lmao..

The only thing that would be true from both of there rookie season’s is that they both couldnt catch a cold but rice ended up turning it on during the end of the season..

• HairyBush

RNOraiderFan Says:
    October 8th, 2010 at 12:00 pm
    and…bears, tampa, Pats. Could you call Al and let him know?
    ************************************************
    Been trying to call Al for some time now, but I don’t have one of those TDD devices.
    —————
    quite witty lol

• Macho Man Randy Savage

Tom Cable’s private bulletin board: “5-11 for life!”

later fellas

• PurpleDrank81

Man I love King Ralph….Haha great John Goodman Reference…

• priesttj

I watched this Oline in that game he had time enough to execute he just didn’t get it done. Hujack said as much and I agree that strip sack was his fault no one else’s his fault. We didn’t score as a result.

Now if he listen to his coaches he’ll eliminate that and get better if not he’l make excuses just like you guy’s.

• HairyBush

priesttj Says:
    October 8th, 2010 at 12:02 pm
    I’ll say this again I don’t think it’s the talent we have that’s the problem it’s the confidence and the belief that they can win games. If you lokat our roster against most rosters in the league it’s the confidence to go win I know that doesn’t compute with most of you but the difference between winning and losing is your habits and your believe that you can. The teams that do win the team that don’t lose.

Gradkowski has never won a game down 17 points so did he have the confidence to do it? I don’t think so, and did his team have the confidence in him top do it? I don’t think so. That really is the deciding factor.

We were talented enough just weren’t confident. Then balls bounce off recievers they run wrong routes and throw int’s. If you can score 24 points you can score 34 if you have enough confidence to do so.
    ———————-
    I used to believe we were stock piled with talent, not so sure that is the case anymore.

Without over analyzing, it’s simple, DHB and Murphy need stick um, and the defense needs to get there act together in the red zone. BAM we win.

• RNOraiderFan

P =
    KR <

• http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ KoolKell

Priesttj Says:
    October 8th, 2010 at 12:02 pm

——————————-
    Raiders always look good on paper, and the bus. What’s new?

• RNOraiderFan

DL >
    LBs <

• RAIDERMAN99

priesttj Says:
    October 8th, 2010 at 11:54 am
    As much as I like Grads I wouldn’t compare him to Sam Bradford on any day. I would take Sam Bradford over everyQB we have and will have in the next 5 years. That kid is one of the purest passers I’ve ever seen and he’s accurate as hell. He’s mobile his only drawback is he’s injury prone but that aside if he’s healthy he’s as talented as Payton Manning IMO.

==========================================

Course he’s not as talented as JaMoron, right BHP ?

I think Bradford is the real deal too, but now that Preistt is on-board I’ll have to reconsider.

• bcz24

Mistabr0wn Says:
    October 8th, 2010 at 11:50 am
    Bcz, did D Sanders get more or less opportunities than Nnamdi? I dont know but Sanders made em pay when they threw his way.

Nnamdi, does not!

The end
    *********************
    I dont know how many passes were thrown against Deion. It is not a stat that was ever really tracked until early this decade with Champ Bailey, and then Nnamdi. I can tell you that last year Revis had 111 attempts against him, Nnamdi had 28. That is a HUGE difference. Revis only had what 8 or 9 ints last year? Nnamdi would only need 1-2 ints a year to have the same percentage.

If you dont like the guy, whatever thats fine, but dont try and compare him to a guy who played in different schemes, on better teams, with different rules and say he isnt good.

• Mistabr0wn

DB’s are on a island they dont need any help making a play! When Sanders was on ATL your telling me they had a solid D around him?

Please.
    ______

# Macho Man Randy Savage Says:
    October 8th, 2010 at 11:53 am

Cmon, Deon played at the top of his game for the best defences in the NFL (SF & Dallas). Nnamdi plays for a D that ranks in the 30s every year. Tough to make plays when nobody else is doing their job.

• RNOraiderFan

************************************************
    Schools in session! well said.

• HairyBush

Mistabr0wn Says:
    October 8th, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Please.

——————-
    one thing to keep in mind is some of these guys who get the int’s also get beat for big plays. It’s almost a wash if you think about it. How often does Nnamdi get beat on the long ball?

• RNOraiderFan

Aso covers his WR with tight press coverage taking away that WR option. Some of the other great CBs would slack off the coverage and bait the QB to throw to that WR. Then they would use thier closing speed to jump the routt and make the pick. That is not Aso’s game. Aso is a great CB, he should learn to bait the QB a little better and maybe he might see some more passes thrown his way. He also might not have the closing speed he needs and start giving up compleations. We’ll never know….

• HairyBush

These DB’s who “gamble” have a track record of putting up pretty stats in the newspaper, but it doesn’t tell the whole story, i.e when they missed a tackle or got beat trying to jump a pass pattern. just sayin

• Pingback: Darren McFadden (hamstring) misses practice » Feed Me Fantasy

• Mistabr0wn

Nnamdi is a top cover corner I’ve said it over & over. The piont I’m making is he isnt a play maker or game changer. Other great corners made plays:
    -Haynes
    -Bailey
    -Sanders
    -Hayes
    -W Brown

Nnamdi is just is not a part of that group, get over it!

• http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ KoolKell

Nnamdi vs Deion, interesting question. I’d take Deion the playmaker.

• HairyBush

Nnamdi is just is not a part of that group, get over it!
    ——————
    I know and Jamarcus is a great quarterback
    I’ll get over it lol

• HairyBush

KoolKell Says:
    October 8th, 2010 at 12:17 pm
    Nnamdi vs Deion, interesting question. I’d take Deion the playmaker.
    ————————
    Kind of a moot point, how about who playing in the NFL currently would you take over Nnamdi?

• Mistabr0wn

There’s a fascination & love affair between Raider fans and Nnamdi. Partly because he has been the only consistent player we’ve had here in 7 or 8 years.

Nnamdi gives you guys a chill up your leg for whatever reason. He bores me to tears…..MAKE a play #21 you are one the highest paid DB’s if not the highest paid….DELIVER!

• Mistabr0wn

KKKell dont start piggybacking or agreeing with my post. I have a sound and solid track record evaluating players and I dont want you anywhere near me, thanks old man!
    ______

KoolKell Says:
    October 8th, 2010 at 12:17 pm
    Nnamdi vs Deion, interesting question. I’d take Deion the playmaker.

• RAIDERMAN99

Mistabr0wn Says:
    October 8th, 2010 at 12:17 pm
    -Haynes
    -Bailey
    -Sanders
    -Hayes
    -W Brown

Nnamdi is just is not a part of that group, get over it!

==============================
    You make a good point, except Chump Bailey doesn’t belong on that list. C. Woodson does.

• HairyBush

Mistabr0wn Says:
    October 8th, 2010 at 12:20 pm

——————-
    As I said before, it goes deeper than his play on the field for me personally. He’s one of the few guys who makes me proud to represent the Raiders. (there are a few others, Z. Miller being one)

• http://theviruscarries.com drowningboy
  • Mistabr0wn

99,
    C Wood left a bad taste in my mouth from his time here. But you are right C Wood belongs on that list.

Nnamdi, still does not.

• http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ KoolKell

Mistabr0wn Says:
    October 8th, 2010 at 12:22 pm

KKKell dont start piggybacking or agreeing with my post.
    ————————————
    Piggybacking you????? Eeewwwww

• Mistabr0wn

KKKell, unemployment up again this month! I guess the recession is still over huh?

mope & change

• bcz24

Haynes, Hayes, W Brown dont belong in the discussion with Nnamdi, Bailey. Those guys could just kill a receiver. The rules are so different now in favor of a WR. Those guys would get ejected from EVERY game, and would probably be burned relentlessly by guys like Moss or TO or AJohnson. They could never hang with the big physical and incredibly fast receivers on the field now a days.

Bailey is the one guy I will give you in that argument. That guy in his prime intercepted probably 35-40% of the attempts at him, and knocks down another 3-40%. He would allow maybe a 5% completion rate against him, about the same as Asomugha.

Nnamdi also had 8 ints in 6 games before QBs decided they would no longer attempt to throw his way.

• priesttj

Hey Raiderman99, My opinion is my opinion why are so worried about it just disagree and be done with it. Are you going compare every QB we get to Russell for the rest of your life man……….move on.

Gradkowski wont be able live on the “he’s better than Russell” tag forever. Soon he’s going to have to live up to what the coaches see as legitimate starting QB in this league over the long haul. So let’s get to that reality at some point huh boy’s?

I’m not looking for he’s better than Russel I’m looking for a quality or upper echelon QB in this league and if he can do that. I’ll cheer him louder than anyone in here. But he has to show me first.

So you can take that he’s better than Russell crap and shove it, because it wore out last year with me I want to see if he can win bigtime games……….period

• http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ KoolKell

Mistabr0wn Says:
    October 8th, 2010 at 12:28 pm

—————————–
    Recession ended in mid 09′

• http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXj7I1RzLSE&feature=related exlaraiderseasonticketholder

This was on Fox Sports Detroit last night. We get Detroit on the cable in Toledo. He said he wanted the feeling of winning the Super Bowl. I guess he’s gone after 2011.

• bcz24

*********
    Jason Campbell barely makes it to the “better than Jamarcus” echelon. Bruce is probably in the “above-average back-up” echelon and is the best we have. Deal with it.

• HairyBush

new thread

• RaiderRetribution

1)Darren McFadden (hamstring),
    2)Walter McFadden,
    3)Travis Goethel (lower back)
    4)Michael Bennett (hamstring)
    5)Robert Gallery (hamstring),
    6)John Henderson (stress fracture),
    7)Thomas Howard (knee),
    8)Chaz Schilens (knee),
    9) Quentin Groves (hamstring)
    plus Boller (3rd string qb)

that makes 10 inactives
    I take it we can activate Boller as one of our 45 and just not have him as an inactive?
    (of course that would still be only 44 active.

• NYC DAVE

@ Chris in NY…. Where in NY are you. Where do you eatch games?
    NYC DAVE.

• RaiderRetribution

Bcz opposing qbs didn’t throw Mr. Willie Brown’s way very often either.

He and Mr. Haynes & Mr. Hayes were complete CBs, they could tackle and cover.

D. Sanders couldn’t and wouldn’t tackle, his speed and exceptional cover and losing speed made up for it simply made up for it.

They would dominate the prima donna WRs today, even with just one bump.

• RAIDERMAN99

Preist, I’m not worried about your opinion. I enjoy hearing your opinion.

I especially enjoyed hearing your opinion over and over and over again that JaMoron was the man.

I’m glad that you posted your opinion on Bradford. What worries me is that I mostly agree with it.

Now if you fully endorse Gradkowski, I’m really going to be depressed.

• inonewordraider

If I put 10 years until we make it into the playoffs as the betting line, would you take the over or under?

• Chris in NY

NYC DAVE Says:
    October 8th, 2010 at 12:37 pm
    @ Chris in NY…. Where in NY are you. Where do you eatch games?
    NYC DAVE.

—————–

Upstate a little. Dutchess County. Usually watch at home on Sunday Ticket through DirecTV.

• 1960RAIDER

Big Banana–thought i better check in…defense comes up big..Raiders 17 No Supers 13…still drinking the stale kool-aid. Al–please get us an o-Line!!!!

• Pingback: Friday Notes: Chargers vs. Raiders | Silver and Black Report

• NYC DAVE

@ CHRIS In NY.. I live in Queens now. I have to go out to bars and watch. Cant get Direct TV in my building. Not too many Raider fans. Before I moved over to Queens about a year ago, Al’s Brother was my neighbor..

I used to talk to him a lot. He gave me a ride from the airport after a game in Buffao 2 years a go. We where on the same flight.

• Chris in NY

Very cool Dave. Is that the same brother who works the phone every year on the floor at the draft?