Not so fast on McFadden

Raiders running back Darren McFadden was less than optimistic at assessing his chances to play Sunday against the 49ers, while left guard Robert Gallery said he expected to start.

No official word about the starting quarterback, but it will be Jason Campbell. Offensive coordinator Hue Jackson said it “looks like” Campbell would start in place of Bruce Gradkowski, who is nursing an injured shoulder, but was leaving the final announcement up to coach Tom Cable.

Running back Michael Bennett returned to work after the birth of his third child, a son, and said he hoped to test his hamstring injury before practice.

More to come . . .

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• LOL. “Hindsight Disease”, in SF…. Just realized how that read. Fire away.

• Mistic, isn’t it funny that the real players on the Raiders just don’t seem to be fond of these comparisons to past Raiders? It’s almost as if they’re offended. They didn’t get to where they’re at living in the shadows of past players. They believe they’re BETTER than the past players. That’s the attitude that got them where they are.

• mistic1

Chris in NY Says:
    the raiders were not vanilla against sd on offense, why would they be vanilla against the niners?

————————–

I disagree. We only completed 2 passes to our WRs all day — one of them a screen pass.

Campbell may have completed only one pass that was 10+ yards in the air all day. There were I think 4 others that gained 10+ yards but those were screens or passes where the tight end caught it in the 5-10 yard range and picked up some extra yardage.

That’s pretty vanilla to me. I think it was more of Campbell’s style than Hue’s playcalling though. This week I suspect Hue Jackman reins it in and adopts a more simple, conservative approach with 2 or 3 pre-planned, strategic strikes down tha field.

===========================================================

Hu jack did not call a vanilla game at all. The san diego safeties played back to take the deep stuff away, so campbell abused them underneath, Thats not vanilla, thats smart.

• HayesDaze37

It’s a great day to be a Raiders fan! Isn’t it?!

Vegas — I agree with your earlier statement about DHB having to stop and turn to go after balls thrown his direction…but it’s not as simple as saying DHB can’t catch while running.

When a WR makes a move that beats (or potentially beats) a DB, the window for throwing the ball timely is very small, actually. DHB has beaten his man (or men) a number of times, but the ball hasn’t been released. By the time the ball’s released, the route either is compromised or the DB has recovered sufficiently enough to disrupt the play.

Grads and DHB have much better timing than Campbell and DHB do…and not releasing the ball in a timely fashion has hurt JCampbell with receivers other than DHB, too. The only way DHB will continue to grow as a downfield threat is if he gets the ball in a timely fashion, and with plenty of opportunities to catch it in-stride.

• mistic1

# The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    October 14th, 2010 at 12:39 pm

============================================================
    I love what the silver and black means historically. But i love even more the idea of working hard to fashion your own story. One thing, (the only thing), Ill give cable credit for, is the way he has been able to work with davis, to get rid of the loafers and half steppers. he has reshaped the locker room with guys that dont seem to be selfish. we had a selfishness problem even on our last super bowl team.

• Alex Smith = Montana
    Campbell = Plunkett
    lol!

• The QB’s don’t seem to be having timing trouble with the TE.
    Murphy makes plays. Not DHB. Not even in the Red Zone.

• mistic1

Hu jack says ” we want to build a bully on offense”.

Davis say ” we dont take what the defense gives us we take what we want”

I like this mix, if we can rebuild our o-line, and continue to develop our young guys, our offense will be scary next year.

• mistic1

Hu jack says ” we want to build a bully on offense”.

I think that is what the goal line and short yardage runs have been about, giving the team an attitude. Dont be cute, im gonna run you over, try and stop me.

HD37: you’re a liar

I think I proved that

twist, squirm or try to convince others that you didn’t all you want

NEXT …

“Careful, RRS — Your Tea Bag is showing again!”

I don’t even know what that means

• Another scenario, Mistic.

Who were the ’70s Raiders trying to be like? What past Raider team were Davis, Wolf, and Madden trying to build them like? They weren’t even thinking about the past. They were just building the best team they could for that era. That’s probably what Al should do NOW. Build a team for NOW. For THIS league. Stop trying to look for comparisons to past players. He didn’t do that when building the ’70s teams.

• DutchRaider77

“Smoke and Mirrors”-How about a little no huddle? Especially when McFadden comes back healthy, we can go 5 wide with our base package (McFadden and Reese Lining up as receivers.) I am assuming Reese can run patterns, being a former WR.

This could help our protection issues.

• aig-raiders

—————————-
    LMAO!!!!

you mean how he dumped off 50% of his passes like he has always done in his ENTIRE CAREER. Why dont you look up his career stats in yds per completion? Compare it to weak arm guy like Jeff Garcia or Drew Brees? I already know the answer.

• mistic1

# KoolKell Says:
    October 14th, 2010 at 12:47 pm

The QB’s don’t seem to be having timing trouble with the TE.
    Murphy makes plays. Not DHB. Not even in the Red Zone.
    ===========================================================

Miller has the best hands so the qbs trust him and look for him. Also he has gotten a lot of single coverage underneath and intermediate range, so he is easy to find.

I would love to see campbell heave a couple of deep ones to dhb, and throw him some fades in the endzone, when they get inside the red zone. i believe this will all come the more these guys play together.

• Mistabr0wn

Yah our offense has been borderline scary for the last 5 years just ask tj.

Problem is we dont build our O-line. Cable has wrecked and made the O-line garbage! Our WR group couldn’t be more inept.
    _____

Mistic1 Says:
    October 14th, 2010 at 12:48 pm

• aig-raiders

r8eray Says:
    October 14th, 2010 at 12:44 pm
    Alex Smith = Montana
    Campbell = Plunkett
    lol!
    ————-
    damn funny for sure. I mean between the two of them they went through 15 OC’s. How about Alex Smith = Campbell? We could trade for either of them and the results would be exactly the same.

• HayesDaze37

Murphy makes plays? How many balls has DHB dropped this year, and how many has Murphy dropped? When were those drops? Murphy should’ve caught a crucial ball even YOU could have caught two weeks ago, KK.

DHB looks fine…he needs to see the ball more. Also, Jacoby Ford needs to see more reps as a WR — his natural, easy-to-get-open style could take him far (regardless of how he does as a KR or PR).

People calling for the heads of the young WR’s before they have matured in NFL terms should instead be calling for them to get fed the ball more frequently. Steady diet.

• So what is this story about Favre? Did he take a picture of his junk and send it to some chick?

• He wanted to show her the hair’s only gray upstairs.

• Mistabr0wn

Miller makes plays. Murphy is ok as long as you dont send him over the middle. DHB is a ghost…..no 3rd WR even on the map! Every NFL team has 3 WR’s that contribute at least SOMETHING….we dont even have TWO!

We are playing with 1 hand tied behind our back.

The end

• Mistic1 Says:
    October 14th, 2010 at 12:48 pm

========================
    Geez, you’re such a clown.
    Rebuild the oline..and offense will be SCARY NEXT YEAR??
    Next year?
    You believe you can rebuild DURING THE YEAR?? and all of a sudden it’s effective the following year?

Slap a duh on your forehead, clown.

is this an insult or something?

I don’t get it …

• DutchRaider77 Says:
    October 14th, 2010 at 12:50 pm

“Smoke and Mirrors”-How about a little no huddle?
    ————————————-
    Excellent Point!

Ans: The Raider’s haven’t been competent enough to run a no-huddle, sugar-huddle, even get lined-up properly in a generation.

The Raiders and the QB would have to be in the same offensive system/vocabulary for a few years to master a offense and be able to pull those things off. Like Manning/Brady and a few others.

• YoungAmerican

Look at Malcolm Floyd. The dude is 29 already, but he didn’t come around until last season. Now he’s putting up 200 yard games…

• Macho Man Randy Savage

Anybody defending DHB is on his payroll. Through 5 games DHB has 11 catches for 142, Murphy has 18 for 304. DHB averages 2 catches per game, thats why the call him “more names than catches”….

• popcicledrip

was chester pitts a FA this year I thought he was

was chester pitts a FA this year I thought he was

***

I think he signed with Seattle

• HayesDaze37

RRS — Take it back, and I’ll let it drop. You know I made nothing up.

You propagated (you know, helped further) the use of a slang term that has been out of style since Archie Bunker showed everyone just how un-funny it is.

Now, either you did it not knowing it’s a derogatory term…or you did it on purpose, knowing fully what it was. My preference is to let it go, and assume the innocent of those two options.

But, I won’t let it go if you just admit I didn’t make any of it up.

BTW — I think you may semi-frequent one of my in-laws’ diners!

• Mistabr0wn

The only buffoon I’ve seen defend DHB is priesttj, is there another moron in here ?
    ____

Macho Man Randy Savage Says:
    October 14th, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Anybody defending DHB is on his payroll

• Chris in NY

Mistabr0wn Says:
    October 14th, 2010 at 12:53 pm
    Yah our offense has been borderline scary for the last 5 years just ask tj.

_____

Mistic1 Says:
    October 14th, 2010 at 12:48 pm

————-

Our o-line play was actually way worse just before Cable got here in the Art Shell II season. That line was a trainwreck.

As an o-line specialist though Cable should have that group much better than it is now.

I will say this for the o-line, they have consistently helped our backs churn out 100+ yard games. They’re doing a good job of run-blocking. Pass protection has been very inconsistent though.

Haven’t heard Satele’s name much since he was reinserted back into the lineup and that’s a good thing. He seems to be getting it done. Loper has filled in nicely. And they did a great job in pass protection in the 2nd half of the SD game.

• popcicledrip

we should have signed him he’s better than any thing we got exept gallery

• HairyBush

mistic1 Says:
    October 14th, 2010 at 12:27 pm
    # HairyBush Says:
    October 14th, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Does Kirk play for the Raiders? NO, next topic.
    ==========================================================
    Any fool knows he plays in jax now. i am watching to see the difference in his game vs. romac. Romac is a major upgrade so far.
    —————————-
    Who cares, Judge RoMac on what he does/ doesn’t do.
    no offense but compating him to Kirk is a waste of time.

• aig-raiders

YoungAmerican Says:
    October 14th, 2010 at 12:58 pm
    ————–

It’s embarrassing how we continually allow people to have career days on us. I remembered how SD used to struggle running the ball and then we help them fix it. Something tells me we are going to help the Niners fix their W/L record.

• mistic1

# aig-raiders Says:
    October 14th, 2010 at 12:51 pm

—————————-
    LMAO!!!!

=========================================================

Ok first off lets not get into a campbell vs. grads thing…again.

Checking down beats forcing the ball. Dumping the ball off and letting your athletes make plays is a good thing, especially when the defense is trying to take away the deep game. He drove down the field on two long time consuming drives doing it, and it helped us win the game.

That is called game management, Campbell is a natural and well schooled in this department. Being a good game manager, is one of the most important attributes a qb can have.

By the way, when your main weapons are chris cooly and santana moss, that limits your ability to go down the field. moss is not the vertical threat he was 5 years ago.
    as he builds with our guys you will see them stretch the field.

My preference is to let it go

***

HD37, why did you bring it up in the first place?

I’m here to talk about Raiders football.

you’re obviously here to talk about racism and tea bags. Get Lost

• # YoungAmerican Says:
    October 14th, 2010 at 12:58 pm

…………..

River City High School, West Sacramento, CA.

• Bauce 4 Real

Well DHB needs to turn it around starting Sunday. People still waiting on breakout game from the young guy.

I still believe making too much out of the Craptree vs DHB thing. This game will come down to the 4th quarter and who will or wont choke.

I’m confident we can pull out a win but dont think the 49ers are chopped liver. Smith will have a short leash and SF plays better at home.

Should be one of the more exciting games of the week. I expect turnovers and big plays by both teams

• aig-raiders

Chris,

Did you notice how Cable went out of his way to say that Loper is a “backup”? I thought that was very interesting. It’s like he’s going back to the bench when Gallery gets back. Al Davis is forcing V on us. The guy has averaged 1 whiff per game and is going to get JC killed this weekend.

HD37,

pretty funny that you never actually said a word to the guy who did use the word “chink” … just me

odd, isn’t it?

never brought up that spade a spade comment you think I made either. you just dropped it

Hmmmm

I think you’re a liar and a sack of crap human being. now quit talking to me

• Bauce 4 Real

Gallery is back……excuse me while I do backflips

• Macho Man Randy Savage

Man I hope RoMac develops quickly cause our LBs look lost out there. I understand Wimbley & Scott looking lost, they are converted Dlinemen not accustomed to reading Offenses, but RoMac has struggled in his natural position, given he has had good plays here and there. Wish we had a real WLB and NT, our D would improve significantly.

• Just looked at the Deadspin site…saw what might be Favre’s junk…must have been cold outside….

• mistic1

# Richochet Says:
    October 14th, 2010 at 12:56 pm

Mistic1 Says:
    October 14th, 2010 at 12:48 pm

========================
    Geez, you’re such a clown.
    Rebuild the oline..and offense will be SCARY NEXT YEAR??
    Next year?

Slap a duh on your forehead, clown.

==========================================================

Rebuild during the year!??!?! What are you talking about? I said next year. Meaning get veldeheer, and b campbell coached up. Continue during the draft to rebuild the o-line?

Bra reading is fundamental.

• Plunketthead

DHB gets at least one more year.
    I will go out on a limb and say he will shock the world next year.
    PRO BOWL BABY!!!!

• Plunketthead

He will learn to go up and fight for the ball
    and some will rue the day

• aig-raiders

Mistic,

You do you ever realize how you, Bauce and the rest of the JC fan club carry so many myths on JC?

I can debunk each and everyone of your myths on here.

1. Strong arm.
    2. Less turnovers
    3. More potential
    4. Better leader

I’ve gone back and researched the nubmers and none of it seem to back up your claims on here. So please save me the excuses. I will believe it when I see JC actually show it on the field.

• inonewordraider

most quarterbacks try to avoid the sack, brett favre takes pictures of his

• Plunketthead Says:
    October 14th, 2010 at 1:10 pm
    DHB gets at least one more year.
    I will go out on a limb and say he will shock the world next year.
    PRO BOWL BABY!!!!
    +++++++++++

LMAO that is funny stuff.

• Mistabr0wn

lol…hey Loper can roll over to RG now!
    ____