Cable Q&A

A transcript of coach Tom Cable’s weekly press briefing with the Bay Area media following a 17-9 loss to the 49ers at Candlestick Park:

Cable: OK, injury update from the game. Samson Satele missed a series in there with some dehydration right at halftime, so just got to back up and some fluids in him. Brandon Myers suffered a concussion. He would be day-to-day and questionable this week. Jason Campbell, did an MRI on the knee, the knee’s fine, does have a little bit of a sprain there but nothing at this point that looks serious.

Q: Is it too early to tell who QB will be this week or have to wait and see how Bruce comes out of it?

Cable: We’ll need to see both come Wednesday, see where they’re both at and then we’ll make a decision and go with it.

Q: Issue with Campbell’s health or is that not an issue?

Cable: Just see where he’s at, he’s pretty sore today. So let’s just see where he’s at come Wednesday.

Q: Is there a scenario where Kyle could be the starter this weekend?

Cable: Oh, absolutely, absolutely.

Q: Overall assessment of the game . . .

Cable: Just what I said yesterday, we’re all very disappointed today. We have the same feeling similar to what we had after the Arizona game, where you felt like you did a lot o things to win a game and didn’t do enough to get it over the hump to do it. You can put your finger on a number of things. We didn’t throw the ball well. Weren’t very good on third down. Weren’t very good in the red zone. Gave up four big plays on defense. Kicking game, pretty solid for the most part, could have done a little better job in the vice in the punt return team, some things like that. But it wasn’t a thing of just going out and executing, making the plays that were there. There was a ton of opportunity in that football game, and we didn’t capitalize on them.

Q: Put finger on third-down problems . . .

Cable: Just decisions, making throws and getting open, and protection, really making decisions and throwing the football, things like that, very fundamental issues.

Q: Lot of things go into getting ball to wideouts, is there anything that jumps out on you more than the other? Is it QBs? Wideouts? Coverage? Hue’s playcalling?

Cable: Nah, nah. I think the first play of the game is a perfect example. We’re going to take a shot to open the game, and you just got to cut that loose, and he ran right by him like we hoped _ and we did get a big play out of it with the pass interference call _ but there’s a chance I think when, when you get a chance to get a big chunk play, you know, to make it happen, and we’re just not doing that. We threw a go-route, we were backed up near the goal line, and just overthrew that one as well. I think the plays are there. I think it shows up on film that they were there, but we’re just not executing, whether it’s a throw or whether it’s a route.

Q: How would you assess Campbell’s performance?

Cable: He struggled. It is what it is. He struggled with some things. There were times early in the game where I thought the protection around him was a little shaky but it seemed to improve as the game went. He did some nice things making plays with his feet. But at the same time you have to make some of those plays more often than what we’re doing right now.

Q: When Campbell was hobbling around with nine minutes left, no thought of taking him out?

Cable: No, it wasn’t something we had even talked about. For us, it was just a play away, a play away, a play away. And you’re trying to get to the right play, and your team in position for the right play. But that’s not good enough.

Q: Were Niners doing something special to take away Zach Miller?

Cable: No.

Q:Any explanation on that losing a 14-yard play to a challenge that isn’t allowed?

Cable: The explanation was that the flag was on the ground before the ball was snapped. That’s all I got.

Q:But don’t they have to stop the play?

Cable: Yes. By rule, that’s the way it should be done. It was not stopped. It was ran to completion before anything was ever said about it. But their explanation was that the flag was on the ground prior to the ball being snapped.

Q: How come you couldn’t get running game untracked?

Cable: I think we were playing too high on the line of scrimmage. They are a very physical front 7 but we knew that. They didn’t do anything that surprised us or tricked us. Just a lack of pad level and finishing blocks.

Q: But it seemed you did some good things early with the run thenit tailed off . . .

Cable: The thing about running the ball is consistency. If you start out decent, usually you get better and better from there. For us, it just seemed like we got higher and higher from there. And that’s really a negative. Running the ball for 2 or 3 yards in the first quarter becomes 3 or 4 yards in the second quarter and so on as the game goes. You’re just not able to maintain that.

Q: How much did it hurt not to have a change-of-pace back when things were going slow with Bush?

Cable: It would help to have the ability to do that this week with either Michael or Darren, or even both of them. So it won’t be an issue for us this week. More than anything, Michael is a proven runner and a very good one. You gotta give him enough seam to run it. He can use that big body to break tackles and get through to the secondary. I just think that the seams were there and they just shut down too quick. That’s a product of not finishing blocks.

Q: Who would third back have been?

Cable: We wouldn’t have had one. We would have put Marcel Reece back there, would have been the third.

Q: Were receivers getting open?

Cable: I thought we had some guys open. I thought there were some times where we could have run better routes and give ourselves a chance to have some better windows to throw the ball to.

Q: How was the pass rush?

Cable: Just what you thought. You had some physical rush from 90 and 94 and all the speed from the outside backers.

Q: No, the Raiders pass rush . . .

Cable: Kind of hot and cold. Production at times and there were other times when we needed more and didn’t get it. We bothered him all day and we hit him a lot and rushed him. To categorize it sack wise, not enough. But when you talk about just pure pressure and disruption it was pretty good.

Q: First play was a flea-flicker and it’s to Murphy, end around is to Murphy, deep pass out of end zone to Murphy, any reason it’s not Heyward-Bey on any of those plays?

Cable: On the go route, he’s the guy on the other side. He didn’t have a step on his guy like Louis did. I don’t know that there’s really any explanation that way. I know we’ve run the reverse with Darrius early in the year. Maybe there’s more of that to come. I don’t know that it’s worth singling anything out that way. It’s kind of what the defense is giving you and the way it’s set up.

Q: Get burned in zone so why play it?

Cable: Certainly after the play like the big post you sit there and say Mman, I wish we were playing man there.’ But that’s an easy check and it’s an easy read. You just have to get to the post as a secondary player. It’s mot a difficult thing but we didn’t do it.

Q: How was run defense?

Cable: The long run obviously we just didn’t play it right, getting over the top of the fullback. There was another counter play we could have come under it outside backer, it would have really squeezed it, made it a 2-yard play. They’re disappointing because the rest of the game you’re knocking it dead, knocking it dead, knocking it dead. But you can’t let up, not at this level. Unfortunately we did on a couple of plays.

Q: Any chance on Raiders being active before trade deadline?

Cable:I don’t at this point know that, what the plan would be in terms of that. Certainly it wouldn’t surprise me if we do something. We’ll see what the next 24 hours bring.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• Try Some Reality

LOL @ IslandRaider. So true, bro. Then again, we all remember Art Shell Part 2. As bad as it is now, nothing compares to that garbage.

• lefty12

Calling Gradkowski names like glass and china doll doesn’t change the fact that when he plays he is more productive than JC.He puts up more points,more yards,more 1st downs,and the team looks more like a real NFL caliber team.

Try Some Reality Says:
    October 18th, 2010 at 11:10 pm
    Separated shoulder??? Don’t be so dramatic. A sprained AC joint. Matthew Stafford threw the game-winning TD against Cleveland last year with a real separated shoulder. A ROOKIE! Grads is a pssi.

——————————————–

Stafford threw a 1 yard (1 YARD!) TD pass then was done for the day. Don’t be so dramatic!!!

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Yeah, but he played the next game against Green Bay. Grads needs to take a page out of Stafford’s book.

• Try Some Reality

Someone has probably already made this observations but our coach looks like Barney Rubble. Neither here nor there, I realize but…just sayin…

lefty12 Says:
    October 18th, 2010 at 11:20 pm

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Blah Bla Blah. Problem is he doesn’t put up more wins. Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t that the stat that matters most?

• Try Some Reality

Interesting that you bring up Stafford, Debo. He has only missed, what, just about the entire season this year with injury? And he dealt with shoulder and knee issues last year? LOL! Oh, the irony. Sometimes you guys make it way too easy on me.

And, yet, Grads is the china doll, right Debo. LMAO!

• lefty12

He scores points and puts the team in position to win.He doesn’t play Def. or kick(or should I say miss) field goals.In case you didn’t realize it football is a team game.It takes a team to win games,one person can’t do it alone.

• What bothers me the most, is when these high priced QB’s come to Oakland for those HUGE contracts, don’t they know what they are getting into?

Come on , really. If you pay me millions, I will bust my a$$ to prove I’m worth it. I would appreciate the confidance that was given to me in my contract. And if I was the man who paid out those millions, I would be pissed off. Al probably is pissed off, but I’m sure he’s used to it.

I just don’t get it. How can you take a mans money, excuse me, millions, and pretty much flip him off by giving a 25% effort at best, or, simply not that good? I would be inclined to give him back his money, but hey, that’s just me.

The choker is, Oakland is the highest paid team. These guys are just not hungry. Not all of them, but a lot of them.

I believe Grads, Z.Miller, maybe Boeller, are hungry, But the rest? That game was sickening.

• lefty12

But it is safe to say 1 person alone can lose games.

lefty12 Says:
    October 18th, 2010 at 11:28 pm
    But it is safe to say 1 person alone can lose games.
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Oh I see. So when Grads loses, 1 person alone didn’t lose it, it was a team loss. But when JC loses to SF, it’s all his fault and he should be cut immediately. What a joke!

Lefty12 Says:
    October 18th, 2010 at 11:28 pm

But it is safe to say 1 person alone can lose games.

———————–

Clearly! We saw that on Sunday. JC singlehandedly lost that game. It was obvious to everyone with any common sense that the defense wasn’t going to hold up all game against Gore with as many chances as our offense was giving them by going 3 and out

And have you ever seen a QB go on hibernation like that between the 1st and 4th quarters. Not a single passing yard from JC for, what, 2 hours or so. Unbelievable!

Try Some Reality Says:
    October 18th, 2010 at 11:26 pm

And, yet, Grads is the china doll, right Debo. LMAO!

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Dude, you’re really arguing that Grads hasn’t been a china doll since he’s been here? He didn’t last four starts last year and hurt himself in the offseason LIFTING WEIGHTS! Think about it before you answer. LOL!

• lefty12

It is beyond me how at this point in time any Raider fan could be against Grads.Is he Brady-no.But there are no Brady’s out there in the middle of the season.Are you mad because we didn’t keep or get who you wanted?Is that any reason to be against the best option we have on our roster RIGHT NOW?JC has played the equivalent of 3 games and been worse than terrible for 2 1/2 of those games.Grads has never been that bad.

• Try Some Reality

Debo – yes, Grads has been injury prone. I simply got a kick out of you using Stafford to prove that he was a china doll. LMAO @ that! It was you who made the comparison, not me. Shall we play a little trivia? Who has missed more games this year from injury, Grads or Stafford? I’ll give you a little while to answer that. LOL!

Don’t try to turn this around on me.

Debo – tell us again how Grads should be more like Stafford. LOL

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Why couldn’t the defense hold up against a QB that was being booed out of his own stadium? I mean, JC was terrible, but don’t you think ONE turnover from the defense might have helped him out? How about a really long return by the ST? And the defense did have a six-point lead. It’s a little bit of a stretch, but it could be argued that giving the team a six-point lead put it in position to win.

• lefty12

Did I say it was JC who lost a game?Actually i was talking more about Jano missing 2 chip shot FGs.But I guess YOU are correct,JC did lose the game.

• Try Some Reality

Lefty – it’s clear that some folks like to hate on Grads. Not sure what he did but all I can say is that there are a lot of Al Davis homers that buy into the deep pass, the Plunkett comparisons and all that. I’m not hating on Davis by any means. But they buy into the philosophy so much that they hate anything that doesn’t agree with the Davis blueprint. Gannon is a perfect example of this. He was only the best QB to step foot into a Raider uniform in years, decades even. Yet, even during our good years under Gannon, there were folks criticizing him. Why? Didn’t fit the Raider mold. Lots of sheep in here that believe we should live and die with the deep pass and all that. Gannon didn’t have the arm for it. Grads doesn’t necessarily have it either even though he has completed more mid to long range passes than anyone else on the roster, including Davis pet, Jason Campbell.

Try Some Reality Says:
    October 18th, 2010 at 11:38 pm

Don’t try to turn this around on me.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I stand by my comparison. Grads had a sprained AC joint, Stafford had a separated shoulder. Stafford begged his way back into the game and threw a game-winning TD. then he started the next week against GB. Grads begged his way out of the SD game, missed the SF game and will miss the Denver game. See what I mean? He can’t hold Stafford’s jock where toughness is concerned.

• Try Some Reality

Debo – Alex Smith is better than JC. Switch QBs for yesterday’s game and we win. And had JC been playing at home….man….I GUARANTEE you would have heard louder boos than the ones you heard for Smith.

Try Some Reality Says:
    October 18th, 2010 at 11:43 pm
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

If I were Rich Gannon, I’d be insulted that you even mentioned Grads name in the same sentence as mine. That’s the worst comparison I’ve ever heard.

Grads begged his way out of the SD game,

————————

There’s a stretch. He tried to come back in the second half but it was clear his shoulder wasn’t holding up.

• lefty12

TSR,I can understand if they don’t necessarily like a player,but if he is the best option they should,as fans,at least support the guy.After all,he is the QB whether they like it or not and unless Boller does the unexpected he is the best option on the team right now.

Try Some Reality Says:
    October 18th, 2010 at 11:46 pm
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Again, that’s questionable. Would you have said the same thing a week earlier when JC beat SD and AS lost to Philly?

Try Some Reality Says:
    October 18th, 2010 at 11:48 pm
    Grads begged his way out of the SD game,

————————

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Clear how?

• Try Some Reality

Debo – again putting words in my mouth. The comparison was strictly to illustrate fans and their hatred for certain types of QBs. As of right now, Grads hasn’t done anything close to what Gannon achieved. I never said he did.

But you keep misinterpreting, misreading, and purposefully misunderstanding my posts. It’s your only chance. Or is your comprehension really that bad?

Tell us again how Grads should be more like Stafford. And why hasn’t Stafford toughed out his injury this year? I’m waiting…

• raiders22

JC didnt beat SD, and even if he did theyre 2-4, whats Philly?

lefty12 Says:
    October 18th, 2010 at 11:49 pm

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Not sure if I agree that Grads is the best option. If I had to look at both of their performances to date and rank them, JC’s performance against SD would be 1st and Grads’ performance against AR would be 2nd. Agreed?

RaiderDebo Says:
    October 18th, 2010 at 11:51 pm
    Try Some Reality Says:
    October 18th, 2010 at 11:48 pm
    Grads begged his way out of the SD game,

————————

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Clear how?

——————————

He was throwing passes into the grass! You know, like your boy JR. Except Grads has the knowhow to pull himself out when things aren’t right. Your boy would have blamed the receivers routes, not making plays, the plays being called….Did I miss anything? Oh yes, the offensive line, the fans, etc, etc

• # RaiderDebo Says:
    October 18th, 2010 at 11:53 pm

………….

Wrong.

Special teams beat the Chargers.

Arizona was all Grads leadership until Jano blew it.

• lefty12

No way do I agree with that.JC didn’t do anything that great in the SD game.He engineered 2 long drives by running the ball and playing dink and dunk which Grads can do just as well,if not better.If not for Huff causing the fumble and the resulting TD we would have lost the game.If that had happened would you be on here talking about how great JC was?I think not!!

Try Some Reality Says:
    October 18th, 2010 at 11:51 pm

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Sounds to me like you’re assuming that the guys in here that don’t like Grads play didn’t like Gannon either because they’re the same kind of QB. I’ll just speak for myself and say nothing could be further from the truth. I loved Gannon. Best guy we’ve had in a long time. And I don’t think they were the same kinds of QBs in the least. Gannon was awesome and Grads sucks. LOL.

• raiders22

agreed^

• Try Some Reality

JC didn’t beat SD at all. He was spotted 19 points by defense and special teams, correct? And if you watch that game closely, he did nothing that was impressive. Simply didn’t screw up. The only pass beyond 10 yards was the one to Murphy. All the other completions were short with the receivers making plays. Zach Miller comes to mind, breaking tackles and taking the football past the sticks. Folks that don’t believe me can re-watch the game.

• raiders22

i agreed with MR not dumbarse debo

• RaiderDebo

Grads has the knowhow to pull himself out when things aren’t right
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Was it “knowhow” or cowardice? Phillip River played a championship game against the Pats on a blown ACL. That’s toughness. That’s leadership. Grads could stand to learn a few things about both.

lefty12 Says:
    October 18th, 2010 at 11:59 pm

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Take it easy man. I’m not saying JC is great. I’m just saying he played damn well in that game and was a big reason why we won it. I gave props to Grads for a decent game against the Cards too. But the fact that we failed in the red aone too many times and ultimately lost that game gives the edge to JC for performance of the year so far.

raiders22 Says:
    October 19th, 2010 at 12:00 am
    i agreed with MR not dumbarse debo

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Dude, you hurt my feelings. I always thought I was a pretty smart guy.

• GalacticGus

its a conspiracy! what if Shanarat did some mind control brainwashing to Jason Campbell before shipping him off to Oakland. I can’t win consistently in Oakland is etched in his subconscious! that would be crazy

• Jmackraider12

Campbell is still using the method of throwing to his reads he learned in the al saunders system in washington, dont throw to your reciever unless he already has gotten wide open, didnt beleive in throwing to spots, which is rediculous..

• souldogdave

My hopes have been trampled too many times.The Raiders suck.Campbell sucks.Jackson and Cable suck.Henderson sucks.DHB sucks.Whole lotta suction, a “giant sucking sound” coming from Oakland.Football is over in October once again.

• Plunketthead

Oak, you say some dumb things, some real dumb things but this one is right up there with the best/worse of them.

• Plunketthead

RR

Did I hear you say something about no way on earth the Titan D can get me a win over my best ever euro buddy??

• Plunketthead

Oh well Its off to work I go.
    You can still guzzle tall boys in the cooler on day shift. You just have to suck them dry in a hurry, crunch the can real small (good thing I am still strong as ten bears) so it fits in my back pocket and then throw it out in dumpster

• Plunketthead

We get no respect. Florios latest ratings
    The four above us include the discharge, cowboys, lions and fairywhiners

29. Oakland Raiders (No. 27; 2-4): Adam Schefter’s report regarding the Raiders’ willingness to trade anyone on the team technically was incorrect. He left out the fact that they’re also willing to trade their coach.

30. Cleveland Browns (No. 29; 1-5): With a trip to New Orleans next on the agenda, the Browns could crawl into their bye week at 1-6. Which could persuade Mike Holmgren to run Eric Mangini out of the building.

31. Carolina Panthers (No. 31; 0-5): The crappy quarterback carousel continues, with perhaps the best chance of avoiding 0-16 coming this weekend against the 49ers.

32. Buffalo Bills (No. 32; 0-5): With a late break or two, “bye” actually could have beaten the Bills.

• kidseven

Cable: “We didn’t throw the ball well. Weren’t very good on third down. Weren’t very good in the red zone. Gave up four big plays on defense.”

Yeah, but other than those things and that you couldn’t run the ball, your team was fricking stellar.

• MikieG

Let me just point out the insanely obvious here:
    If we don’t get some tackles in here who can actually keep someone…anyone from getting their quarterback killed, we are going to be looking at starting Colt Freakin Brennan next week…cause Boller is going to suffer the same fate as Gradkowski and Campbell before him.
    These freakin no talent, overrated, wouldn’t be third string on any other roster in the NFL are absolutely horrible. Why can’t they look in the mirror and see that it is THEIR fault that the Raiders are down to the Third String QB by week 7? Week 8 is going to have a guy activated off the practice squad…You don’t need to be John Madden to know that the Raiders are losing these games because this line is terrible.

What is the famous quote from Einstein? “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results”.
    It is the epitome of the way AL, this Coaching Staff, and this Line Operates…its totally INSANE! Get a freakin clue..and oh by the way..Hue, that was the worst offensive play calling you have orchestrated this year..No wonder Singletary took a pass.

• raiderdeek

Season is still very much alive if Gradkowski comes back soon. Keep the faith guys. Remember all the positive comments after the SD win! That was just last 8 days ago. Let’s not get too negative (i know, it’s tough after 7 years of misery but still). However, if Campbell keeps playing, then yes the season is officially over.

I like Cables comments about whether niners took away Miller or not…Cable: “No” aka “campbell couldn’t read anything but a check down”

• tatum lives

I come here everyday to read jerry’s updates. I must ask if there is anybody here over the age of 20? You guys are like a bunch of little school girls. With all the name calling, stupid little jokes, and complete lack of knowledge regarding the NFL and Raiders.

There are some that post here that actually have interesting points of view. But, majority of the time it sounds like a ride home on the school bus.

OK. I’am done, carry on children.

• Rybones

Let’s be real gentlemen. We can pick apart our team for days, as well as the coaching situation. But the proof is in the pudding…without an above average quarterback, we will never see a championship. Gannon=MVP=Superbowl appearance. Gradkowski, Campbell, Russel, Collins, Brooks A.,Walter, Frye…do I really need to continue. Put Big Ben, McNabb, Rivers, Manning X2 on this team and we flourish. Until then, we won’t be competeing. Raider fan for 30yrs and its pathetic we havent landed a stud quarterback in that time. But hey, we’ll keep our fingers crossed right?