Boller, Campbell and . . . Shane

As the Raiders went through a walkthrough portion of practice Wednesday before getting serious, Kyle Boller and Jason Campbell were both getting reps with the first team.

Bruce Gradkowski was on hand but a spectator and made no throws. Also working under center was punter Shane Lechler, a high school quarterback and owner of one of the best throwing arms on the team.

The Raiders have not as yet brought in another quarterback.

Running back Darren McFadden went through the walk-through portion splitting reps with Michael Bush, but the plays were at far from the “burst” pace McFadden talked about Monday.

Among those not present were defensive tackle John Henderson (stress fracture), wide receiver Chaz Schilens (knee), linebacker Travis Goethel (lower back), tight end Brandon Myers (concussion) and linebacker Thomas Howard (knee).

More to come following coach Tom Cable’s press briefing . . .

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• kareemabduljabbar

if frye and russell can beat denver last year kyle boller can too

• RaiderDebo

Kareemabduljabbar Says:
    October 20th, 2010 at 1:08 pm
    bruce g and darren m means wins
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Really? What happened against the Cards and Texans?

• El Gato Negro

# priesttj Says:
    October 20th, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Grads has onloy himself to blame running into safeties like he’s a HB. Idiot he’s already injury prone and he’s trying to show how tough he is. Slide next time and live to play another down.
    _____________________________________________

Yep, part of being a good QB is ensuring that you’ll be on the field for the next play, the next offensive sequence, and the next game. Buy acting like you’re a strong safety while carrying the ball demonstrates that you’re lacking in some basic understanding of what it takes to be a franchise QB.

• RAIDERMAN99

priesttj Says:
    October 20th, 2010 at 1:31 pm
    Shane is the 3rd QB in case of disaster what’s everybody panicking about. He’ll never see the field if Grads isn’t healthy by next week we’ll have another QB in here.

Relax…..lol

==============================

Shane might be listed as the ‘disaster’ QB, but there’s absolutely no way he’s attempting a pass as a QB, even if Grads, Boller and JaJason can’t play.

Without Grads moving the chains, Lechler is our MVP.

You simply don’t jeopardize your MVP by playing him at QB and risk losing him too !

• El Gato Negro

# kareemabduljabbar Says:
    October 20th, 2010 at 1:43 pm

if frye and russell can beat denver last year kyle boller can too
    ————————–

And so can Shane. LOL.

• inonewordraider

Boller should have played second half of last game, we would have won (almonst any qb would have) against a horrible 9er team, and he would have had confidence going into the Denver game now he gets his first start as a Raider in hostile territory

• inonewordraider

« Cable on QB: We have no idea

That’s hilarious unto itself

• http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXj7I1RzLSE&feature=related exlaraiderseasonticketholder

The Raider’s will find out if Grads needs surgery this week and if he does, we are “F’ed”

• inonewordraider

Can Loper throw?

• SilverNBlackPA

Only a few more losses and we can start to get the drop on discussion for our favorite subject: “Who’s gonna be the next figurehead coach?”

Preliminary odds:

Jim Fassel: 2-1
    Kevin Gilbride: 3-1
    Denny Green: 5-1
    Steve Mariucci: 7-1
    Wade Philips: 10-1
    Jim Harbaugh: 25-1
    Rob Ryan: 50-1
    Jack Del Rio: 100-1
    John Fox: 250-1
    Marvin Lewis: 500-1
    Eric Mangini: 750-1
    Jon Gruden: 1,000,000-1

And if he has surgery, we will find out afterwards.

• SD-Raider

we should re-sign colt brennan and start him. that kid is a baller.

• DeuceDeuce

Harbaugh/Vick ’11 or Gruden/Vick ’11……im good either way.

• jmcclain

Lmao right when you think things can’t get any funnier in raider nation. You can’t make this stuff up. I know we don’t win games, coaching is terrible. But there ain’t a NFL team in this league that’s as entertaining as this one. Us raider fans are the luckiest fans in the world. Good thing is I can’t see it getting any worse.

SilverNBlackPA Says:

Jack Del Rio: 100-1
    John Fox: 250-1
    Marvin Lewis: 500-1
    Eric Mangini: 750-1
    Jon Gruden: 1,000,000-1

• DeuceDeuce

Mario Henderson should be a D-Lineman….hes great at hurting a QB.

• Dark Forces

Lechler has got to be better than Campbell.

• http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ KoolKell

John Fox: 250-1
    Marvin Lewis: 500-1
    Eric Mangini: 750-1
    Jon Gruden: 1,000,000-1

• SilverNBlackPA

LOL, Exla. Good one.

I’d say it was possible, except that Shell probably has blocked all incoming calls originating in Alameda, CA.

• inonewordraider

I bet Manase Tonga looks good out the shotgun formation

• ArmChair GM

We in trouble. Shane at QB. This just keeps on getting more bizarre each day.

And we all criticized Randy Moss when he said that “something fishy” was going on in Alameda.

It seems like there is always something fishy going on with us…

• El Gato Negro

Too bad there’s not a rule that lets you drop kick the ball to receivers like in rugby. Shane would be our best QB if that was the case.

• RAIDERMAN99

There isn’t a bigger Grads supporter than me on this board.

But even I must admit it was sheer lunacy not to slide against the Texans on the play that he got crushed on.

Ironic that we’ve got a mutt like JaJason sliding two yards short of an easily attainable first down and managing to stay on the field when we don’t want him there, and a QB that we need on the field that isn’t smart enough to slide when necessary to stay healthy.

Chalk it up to inexperience, bravado, or a brain fart, but Grads refusal to slide against the Texans might very well have ended his season and the Raider’s season.

Not taking a time out in AZ was also another disastrous decision by Grads.

Got to use your brain Bruce. Have to play smarter.

Art Shell just called the B&B for an offensive Coordinator.

• LA to TheBay

RaiderDebo Says:
    October 20th, 2010 at 1:43 pm
    Kareemabduljabbar Says:
    October 20th, 2010 at 1:08 pm
    bruce g and darren m means wins
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Really? What happened against the Cards and Texans?

————————

Missed chip shot and the D let up 31 points after our O put up 3 red zone TDs.

Grad is 1-2. He won the Rams game. Don’t care if he didn’t start.

• EternalRaiderFanS.L.C.

R U kidding me…Shane Lechler at QB??? No wonder we are the laughing stock of the NFL…

• http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ KoolKell

Anybody know what the betting line is this week?

• El Tato

SHANE LECHLER:

Early years

Lechler attended East Bernard High School in East Bernard, Texas[1] and was a standout in football, basketball, golf and baseball. As a QUARTERBACK, punter, and placekicker, he led East Bernard to the state quarterfinals his senior year, completing 87 of 101 (86.1%) passes for 1,640 yards and 11 touchdowns. In his high school career, he PASSED FOR NEARLY 5,000 yards and averaged 41.6 yards per punt. His longest punt in high school was 85 yards.

College

Lechler was not only the Aggies’ punter, but also kicked off, served as the long field goal kicker, was the holder for short field goals and PATs, and was the EMERGENCY QUARTERBACK. As a senior, he completed a 29-YARD PASS on a fake punt against Baylor and threw a TOUCHDOWN PASS to Dan Campbell on a fake field goal in a hard-fought 17-10 win against Texas Tech.

When injuries depleted the depth chart, Lechler served as the BACKUP QUARTERBACK for the 1998 Big 12 Championship game. At one point in the game, the Aggies’ last healthy quarterback Branndon Stewart appeared shaken and a NERVOUS-LOOKING LECHLER WARMED HIS ARM UP ON THE SIDELINE.

• elvesandplums168

the line was off, but with shane in the mix it should be -4 raiders!

• edward teach

It’s not surprising that we haven’t brought in another QB. We’ve needed a veteran receiver since the beginning of the year and haven’t done anything about that either.

• elvesandplums168

so shane can throw eh? Well why the hell did we try a fake fg with Seabass running for the 1st down instead of Shane The Arm Lechler throwing it? Still one of the funniest/most embarassing Raider plays in recent history

• kareemabduljabbar

52. sebastian missed three fgs in az. bruce g and darren m got hurt against houston raiderdebo

• big pep

Shane The Arm Lechler
    ——————————————————-
    too dang funny!

• RAIDERMAN99

Al should appoint himself head coach.

Get rid of the walker. Get one of those electric carts and terrorize the sideline.

Appoint a designated challenge flag thrower, or put a catapault on the cart, if necessary.

Appoint as many assistants as necessary to handle all the mundane time consuming and exhausting duties that Al due to his advanced age can’t handle.

Stock up on Geritol.

The greatness of the Raiders is in the future, baby – and Al will be a cornerstone.

• big pep

has this news made the national news yet? cause they are gonna be wearing our assess out tonight if they hear about it.

• http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ KoolKell

I still hate the Raiders. You still hate the Raiders. Your next-door neighbor still hates the Raiders.

Every self-respecting Colorado resident still hates the Raiders.

But why? What’s to hate? The Raiders come into town on Sunday as losers. They have stumbled through seven straight seasons with 10 or more losses.

Sunday, in their 17-9 loss to previously winless San Francisco, Raiders quarterback Jason Campbell turned in a passer rating of 10.7. It was the lowest rating by a Raiders quarterback since Ken Stabler turned in a 9.9 rating against Cincinnati in 1975. Campbell didn’t complete a pass in the second and third quarters and he finished 8-of-21 for 83 yards with two interceptions.

It’s kind of pathetic.

Post Poll – Raider Haters
    If you’re a Broncos fan, you probably hate the Raiders. But why?
    Tradition. Broncos fans have always hated the Raiders.
    Al Davis. The Raiders’ ancient owner is easy to despise.
    Raiders fans. They are rude, obnoxious and scary.
    None of the above. I hate the Raiders because …

You’d think we would take pity on a franchise that’s been teetering for years. Yet the black and silver still makes our blood boil and our skin crawl.

Why?

Read more: Broncos fans love to hate the Raiders, but why? – The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16377597#ixzz12w53Njx5

• DMAC

Lechler to DHB for a 86 yard TD!!!!!!
    Holla!

• http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ KoolKell

Here’s my personal list of reasons:

When I was a kid growing up in Arvada, the Broncos were really bad, the Raiders were really good. In 1967, the Raiders beat the Broncos 51-0.

The list of great Raiders who regularly rubbed salt in Denver’s wounds is a long one: Daryle Lamonica (the Mad Bomber), Fred Biletnikoff, Jack Tatum, Lester Hayes (and his Stickum), Ted Hendricks (The Mad Stork), Kenny Stabler (The Snake) and coach John Madden (Tommy Jackson called him “Fat Man), to name just a few.

The Raiders were not just good, they were cocky and therefore easy to hate. In 1973, Oakland came to Mile High Stadium for the first Monday Night Football game in Broncos history. It was a big deal and the stadium rocked like never before.

My brother, Steve, and I created a banner out of an old bed sheet. We hung it off the deck in the west stands. It read: “Roses are red, violets are blue, if you’re for the Raiders the hell with you!” Very daring, very cutting edge for two teenagers. The fans in our section gave us a standing

Coach John Madden (left) and owner Al Davis won a Super Bowl together on Jan. 9, 1977, beating the Vikings 32-14. (AP | Wally Fong)ovation.

Read more: Broncos fans love to hate the Raiders, but why? – The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16377597#ixzz12w5b4hN5

• http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ KoolKell

Al Davis. I know he’s an historic figure in American sports. I know he now cuts a sad, pathetic figure. But really, the guy is a jerk.

He used to sit in the press box in the old Mile High Stadium and spew profanities. Mike Shanahan once told me jaw-dropping stories (off the record) about how Davis cruelly mistreated people.

I remember covering a Super Bowl at Reliant Stadium in Houston. I was getting into the huge press elevator when Davis and his entourage arrived. Al’s henchmen made me take the next elevator because “Mr. Davis isn’t sharing this elevator.”

Read more: Broncos fans love to hate the Raiders, but why? – The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16377597#ixzz12w5xAuaQ

• djohnnyg

I don’t know why I am still a Raiders fan. It would be embarrassing for me to switch teams because of my friends and other people who associate me as a Raider fan. I have to continue to be on record as a fan. To be honest, I don’t know that I could ever NOT root for Oakland to win games but I wish I could. It’s embarrassing to be a Raider fan, and it sucks majorly.

You watch these other teams get coverage on ESPN and NFLN and you wonder: “Gee wouldn’t it be nice if WE could be like them? You know, a team that actually gets respect cuz they are good. Wouldn’t it be cool to be a fan of a team that wasn’t a complete joke, and the laughingstock of the sports world?” “Wouldn’t it be cool to have the media talk about my team in terms of respect or admiration?” How about FEAR? Ha. Yeah right. Who fears Oakland? Nobody even respects this franchise in the least. I’ve put myself on the line as a fan for this team and all people do is feel sorry for me.

Wouldn’t it be cool just to root for a football team that mattered?

The Raiders ruin my enjoyment of football. I hate the team, I hate the owner now, but a part of me will always want them to succeed, but it sucks knowing they never will.

• elvesandplums168

I love the Raiders because everyone else loves to hate the Raiders. Yeah, the Raiders can be pretty pathetic at times, at by at times I mean for 7 years, but I still and will forever love the Raiders. They are my team for life. There’s really nothing to be positive about right now but the feeling that you have, does it seem familiar? It’s the same feeling you had before the San Diego game.

• http://blackhole@aldavisshouldbeonmountrushmore Drexl

# djohnnyg Says:
    October 20th, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Wouldn’t it be cool just to root for a football team that mattered?

———————–
    Burn your Raider gear, drop your friends, quit your job and relocate. Problem solved.

• Just Fire Baby

KoolKell,

Amazingly same as last weekend (Raiders +7)

• Just Fire Baby

***********************************

Even with this fact, the only thing our brainaic head coach could come up with on the Fake side of things was having him throw the ball between his legs to a 300 pound kicker.

• RAIDERMAN99

djohnnyg Says:
    October 20th, 2010 at 2:19 pm
    =======================================

Could be worse, you could be like me…certain that they are going to turn things around, only to be bitterly disappointed.

God help me, I love this team.

• http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ KoolKell

JFB

Those guys are pretty smart. I didn’t understand last week, but they were dead on.

• elvesandplums168

I’m kind of new to this forum, but now I think I’m getting it now. KoolKell is the negative Nancy right?

• DeuceDeuce

Have we called a WR screen to DHB yet this year…

If Desean Jackson can return punts then DHB can return kicks. Hes gotta be as fast or faster than Ginn.