Raiders put out for good cause

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Wednesday, October 27th, 2010 at 10:13 pm in Oakland Raiders.

There’s a difference between lip service and a serious effort toward a greater good.

The Raiders, in conjunction with the NFL Network and Comcast, helped inaugurate refurbished physical education facilities at Roosevelt Middle School in Oakland as part of the Keep Gym in School Program.

Cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha is the national spokesperson for the program, which stresses the importance of physical activity to promote a healthy lifestyle.

Over the past two years, the program has awarded $600,000 in grants to 45 schools.

More than 670 students participated in a pep rally Tuesday led by Asomugha and participated in various activities with Raiders players and executives on hand.

A photo gallery of the event is at this link on Raiders.com, although there apparently are no photos of Raiders CEO Amy Trask mixing it up with some eighth graders in a basketball game and coming away with a black eye after an inadvertent head butt.

This year’s Keep Gym in School campaign will honor an “NFL Network PE Teacher of the Year” which can be nominated by the public at www.keepgyminschoolcom between Sept 1 and Jan. 31 with the winner announced at an even tin New York City during the NFL draft week.

• Bauce 4 Real

well graduated….but now he prolly went to tech at one time

• DMAC

I could of swear he went to Oakland Tech. I know fat azz Langston went to Skyline.

• Bauce 4 Real

JLH will be getting more snaps that miller…..prolly starting

• SilverNBlackPA

Jimbo,

Don’t get me wrong, I think McCluster will be really good (which sucks, since he’s a Chief)

But I think you’re underestimating Miller. He hasn’t been given many opportunities, but he’s produced on the few chances he has gotten.

I’d like to see him used more if only to get an idea of what we’ve got here: flash in the pan or a legit weapon. Jerry said they have some plays for him where he lines up in the backfield. Pretty damn creative and I’d like to see if they work.

I can’t speak for others, but I’m agitating for more playing time for Miller because I want to see what he’s got.

• Jimbo

We need to get thru the next 2 games with the people we have and get the others healthy. 5-4 coming off the bye, with everyone healthy and we’re ready to take down Pitt.

• DMAC

Yeah, because I remember all of them on field at Oakland Tech. Lynch was a beast.

• aig-raiders

Nick Miller should be considered a poor man’s Steve Smith. I think he will do some more damage this weekend.

• Bauce 4 Real

I thought langston went to O high

• Bauce 4 Real

Miller/Ford slot

• SilverNBlackPA

Bauce 4 Real Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 9:44 am
    JLH will be getting more snaps that miller…..prolly starting

++++++++++++++

Seems like it’s gonna be DHB and JLH starting with a heavy dose of Ford and a few looks at Miller.

I’d rather it be JLH and Ford starting with a heavy dose of Miller and DHB sitting in a dunking booth to raise money for charity.

• DMAC

Langston went to Skyline.

• Jimbo

^^^^^^^^^^^

Me too. I’d like to see Miller rotate in for Ford and get his share of playcalls. A reverse, maybe a crossing pattern. Let’s see if he’s starter quality or if he’s strictly a special teamer.

• Bauce 4 Real

SilverNBlackPA Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 9:46 am
    Bauce 4 Real Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 9:44 am
    JLH will be getting more snaps that miller…..prolly starting

++++++++++++++

********************

I concur

• LA to TheBay

Jimbo Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 9:44 am

——————

The next two weeks will tell us a lot about this team. It won’t be enough to just ‘stay in the game.’ They gotta win. Carrol’s no slouch and he knows how to run a defense.

• Jimbo

********************

I concur

^^^^
    Aye, second that motion!

• mistic1

Dont ever mention steve smith in the same breath as miller. He is more of poor mans dante hall, and I mean piss poor mans, dante hall.

• LA to TheBay

DMC should get his. Campbell gotta come through in a big way.

• 8RaiderReign8

Bauce 4 Real Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 9:38 am
    Warriors got best uni’s in league but court should have more blue on it!
    _____________

That Boise St. blue would look horrible from the seats.

• Jimbo

I believe we will win Sunday. I hadn’t felt that way all year enough to convince myself. And no disrespect to Carroll’s team. They are legit.

It’s just we got this thing going in the right direction. If we lose it will be a major letdown. I can’t even entertain the idea.

• LA to TheBay

mistic1 Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 9:49 am

—————-

Because of the extensive scouting you’ve done of Nick Miller, right? Undrafted players can end up being pretty dang good.

• Bauce 4 Real

Langston went ot O high then went to O dowd mayne….thats why he soft…if he went to the line then he would have some heart

• mistic1

there are 0 wides on our roster that should ever start ahead of DHB. I think he will have somewhere between 4-7 catches in this game. the catch he made in the niner game while getting blasted by the db was thing of beauty. he is learning how to use his body, and fight through contact to make the catch. Once he gets a solid handle on that part of his game he will really take off. He is already much better catching the ball when he is wide open.

• mistic1

get off my O-high wild cats, we from the twamps, the dirty thirties and funk town. Soft?

• jdg3

this is by far the best article title Jerry has come up with yet. Of course it would be better if it said Raiderettes instead of Raiders.