Cable Q&A

A transcription of coach Tom Cable’s daily press briefing Thursday with Bay Area media:

Cable: Satele and Shaughnessy came off the list, passed their tests for the concussion stuff. Hiram is off the (injury) dlist as well. On the list, Murphy DNP, Schilens DNP, Henderson DNP, Chris Johnson DNP. Limited guys would be Bennett, Zach Miller, Gradkowski, Goethel, Howard, Wimbley.

Q: Hiram??

Cable: He’s had a hamstring, sore hamstring but he’s off the list.

Q: Is Gradkowski closer to being able to play?

Cable: Yeah he is.

Q: Chance he may play Sunday?

Cable: I don’t know at this point. He is much better, starting to throw the ball more and more now. But we haven’t done a lot with him yet.

Q: How do you weigh guys who are hurt with the bye week coming up?

Cable: I don’t know that you can do that too much in this league. If you think they’re going to go next week they’re probably working this week kind of thing. And if they’re not ready to go and they don’t do anything this week then it’s highly unlikely in my opinion that they’d be ready to go next week.

Q: Do you know your starting quarterback?

Cable: I think for sure we will tomorrow, definitely.

Q: If Bruce is healthy does he start or would he be No. 2?

Cable: If he’s healthy enough that he can play then he’ll get all the work tomorrow and we’ll go for it. If he’s not then I can tell you it’d be Jason and we’ll move from there.

Q: What do Miller, Ford have to do to take pressure off QB?

Cable: Really just do what they’ve been doing. Nick has the luxury of being in this thing Year 2. Jacoby is improving daily and the game’s not too big for him. Just go do what you know is necessary. They both have a good understanding of what we’re doing. So it’s just an opportunity for them to go out and make some plays.

Q: Will both keep returning kicks?

Cable: Yes.

Q: Is there any chance Murphy can play this week?

Cable: No.

Q: Long-term with him?

Cable: It looks to be a week for sure then we’ll come up with some thought probably a week from yesterday, next Wednesday, as to whether or not you can talk about him next week.

Q: How key is it to get to .500?

Cable: I think that’s good for us. That would be very very good for us. But the focus has been let’s go out there and improve on what we need to and get ready for Seattle and play our butts off, and that stuff will happen. One thing we’ve all kind of learned is don’t worry about the winning and losing, worry about the process and being ready to play and what it takes to beat this opponent. Stay focused on that.

Q: How eager are you to have a game like you did last week at home?

Cable: That’d be awesome. That’d be a great thing for our team, for everyone. But it’s a whole new week and every week is such a different animal. You’re playing a team that’s playing with confidence, they’re 4-2, leading their division, they’re second in rushing defense, they have a tremendous special teams group so you just have to attack this animal the way you need to to beat it. You can’t worry about what’s before or after. Just worry about now.

Q: Similarities between the two teams?

Cable: Maybe a little bit but I think there’s a lot of differences too. Some of that probably comes into the strategy part of it.

Q: How much does it help having common opponents this year?

Cable: It does. We have seen them against the same people we’ve played vice versa, so you have a pretty good idea. You know some of those people and some of the matchups and what’s involved in it because you went through it.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

Raider Dell Says:
    October 29th, 2010 at 9:58 am
    BSJ

Just to let you know, have booked a trip to Hawaii in January. I’ll let you know when I leave so you can be jealous. Looks like Kauai, and Lauai.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Kewl. I’m pre-jealous already!

• DMAC

Dell,
    Wassupers! Everything is great man. Hope your doing good too. Just hoping it doesn’t rain this Sunday, but i’ll be at the game anyways.
    Go Raiders!

• http://atm Raider O

Dell,

My agenda:
    I want Huff to play CB, and MM & Branch at Ss.

As for The Fire & Cut program, no changes.
    -Fire Sanjay Lal now, and fire the entire coaching later.
    -Cut Eugene, S Williams, Cooper, and Bennett.

• DMAC

I’m Baucey!

• http://blackhillsphoto.com/sturgis-weddings/black-hills-weddings.jpg Dakota

Raider O,

What is going on with these planes right now? More of your friends who just happen to be Muslims causing trouble again?

• mistic1

# new englandraider Says:
    October 29th, 2010 at 10:09 am

MM34 getting a lot of love all of a sudden..

please guys, don’t turn into myopic, front running, bandwagon fans, like I have to deal with here in Mass.
    ==========================================================

Hilarious, remember when people where here saying he needed to be cut. Another example of fans that dont know what they are talking about, and then trying to change direction, back pedal, and act as if. Too bad we dont have a rue the day list on him.

I actually think he will become one of our defensive leaders.

• DMAC

# J Hill Says:
    October 29th, 2010 at 9:58 am

Hilarious you dub fans getting excited over beating a team the Lake show softened up for you the night before.

Get ready to get smashed Sunday night!
    —————
    hahahaha, very funny.
    GO DUBS!!

• ghosttothepost

Raider fans forget that Charles Woodson had turf toe for a year or more near the end of his stay here. I believe DMAC had the same thing. Turf toe is a debilitating injury and can ruin a guy for a season and sometimes more.

• http://atm Raider O

Dell,

Unions:
    -We agree about Safety and related issues.
    -I don’t like the idea of paying withers based on the industry’s revenues. Workers need to – be paid based on the work they do.
    -Workers are using unions as a levarage against their employers, which they use to demand more salary than the avg worker in the sane industry (not part of the union)

• ghosttothepost

But the important thing is that it’s open season for Seattle Seagulls at the Coliseum on Sunday.

• ghosttothepost

Fire at will, boys

MM34 getting a lot of love all of a sudden..

***

NE,

MM34 = Gibson36! is that better?

LOL

• http://atm Raider O

Dakota,

-What planes? What are you talking about?
    -why would I know what other Muslims are doing?

• Raider Dell

Raider 0

If I hire you to be my analyst and with your educational background and logic do you think you should be paid the same as another analyst, who has seven years of experience and similar to your education and background.

Please explain.

My union rebuke comment, will follow your answer to my above question.

• McRaider5150

When you are going against a TOP tier WR, okay I can see you covering that guy 75 to 90% of the time. When Namdi is not on that guys you double him, let Namdi cover more field.

All week the offense is working on a way to eliminate the amount of plays to Namdi’s side of the field. It just seems way too easy to game plan against. This is why our pass D gets exposed. Revis will go against the best WR, but he also gets to roam and they do disguises to hide what his assignment is.

• bcz24

mistic1 Says:
    October 29th, 2010 at 10:07 am
    bcz24 Says:
    October 29th, 2010 at 9:57 am

If he could roam the field, he would have 7+ INT’s every year.
    ============================================================

Area 21 has been roaming the field, shadowing the top receiver no matter where he lines up. The qb’s locate him pre snap, and does not test him. Area 21 is unique in that although he doesnt make many picks, his talent is being right on top off the receiver, and almost always in position to break up the pass. It takes an almost perfect play from qb and wide out to beat him, when he is on. There simply isnt any where to put the ball when he is in coverage.
    *****
    He only shadowed Fitzgerald. Otherwise he has played his usual spot.

• J Hill

——————————————————-

WTF does that mean?

Right up until 3 weeks ago, dude was doing nothing. Remember his missed tackle on the opening play in Az?

This is a Raider bog, right?

Raider fans can’t praise a player when he finally starts earning his keep?

LMFAO!

• bcz24

And I wasnt the one who said if he roamed the field he would have 7+ ints. You quoted the wrong person Mistic

• http://blackhillsphoto.com/sturgis-weddings/black-hills-weddings.jpg Dakota

513.Raider O Says:
    October 29th, 2010 at 10:19 am
    Dakota,

-What planes? What are you talking about?
    -why would I know what other Muslims are doing?
    +++++++++

The denial approach….nice….might work this time, but remember, we are watching you!

I really hope CJ37 can play this Sunday.

Nnamdi will shadow BMW and I feel confident that Routt & Johnson can handle Butler & Obomanu

the key to beating the Seattle Seahacks is simple .. STUFF THE RUN!!

Russell Okung isn’t playing. if we force them to go pass happy, our pass rush will murder Hasselbeck the statue

• McRaider5150

Area 21 has been begging the coaches to give him more freedom on defense. I remember Woodson begging for the same thing.

• Raider Dell

BCZ24

You’re a game behind Marley in the FFL, keep the pressure on, he’ll fold like a broken swift army knife.

• http://atm Raider O

Dell,

It depends on the industry, but for your example, no I expect less pay for lack of the 7 years in exp.

BCZ24

***

Dell, BCZ plays me in FF this week

i’m on a 4 game win streak and both of his starting RB’s are on a bye. He said he really doesn’t pay attention to your league since there isn’t real money involved

5 straight wins for the Rockstar. Print That

• http://blackhillsphoto.com/sturgis-weddings/black-hills-weddings.jpg Dakota

Hmmmm new series on AMC…The Walking Dead

Always liked those zombie movies….might have to tune in…Premiers Sunday, Oct 31 at 10 pm eastern (that would be 7 pm for you Left Coast hippies).

• Bauce 4 Real

sup DMAC

• DMAC

Just don’t give up the TD on special teams and limit their return yards and we’ll be alright. Their offense isn’t all great.

• DMAC

Wassupers

• bcz24

Yeah he took a big hit losing Romo! Wish he would have lost him the week before though, cuz I would be in first then! I have a tough week against podunk though.

• http://atm Raider O

Dakota,

LMAO! I hope your not not using our taxes for that. We have more important issues to attend to than watching a Muslim student who smokes weed and enjoys surfing.

• J Hill

the key to beating the Seattle Seahacks is simple .. STUFF THE RUN!!

——————————————————-

I’d say it contaning there STs, and not making mistakes on our STs.

Not worried about their pathetic run game. Don’t see that running game putting up more than 14 pts and 100 yds on a good day.

Without unions there would be no middle class. Before workers could bargain collectively, employers expected 12 hr. work days, 6 hour work weeks, no paid time off, dangerous conditions, etc.

Unions allowed regular workers to share the benefit from the profits they produced, and this gave them the time and money to contribute back to the growing economy.

Counter example = China. A few banker monkeys and a billion wage slaves.

• Bauce 4 Real

im gonna be extra pissy drunk this weekend

• new englandraider

JHill

Why do you always have to come off as a bi-polar, paranoia fueled delusional schizophrenic?

You’re cool one minute, the next minute you’re acting like an a fool.

Oh no, MM34 missed a tackle? Ah geez…

How many times do you see 21 attempt a shoulder dive into a shin and miss?

• J Hill

527.DMAC Says:
    October 29th, 2010 at 10:28 am

——————————————————

LOL!

I guess we agree on Seattle.

You’ll come around on the Ws.

• J Hill

new englandraider Says:
    October 29th, 2010 at 10:30 am

JHill

You’re cool one minute, the next minute you’re acting like an a fool.

Oh no, MM34 missed a tackle? Ah geez…

—————————————————–

WOW!

A guess we know where you sensitive spot is.

• new englandraider

RRs no more 34=36 please. LOl

My point was taken the wrong way.

My point was more of an insult towards the NE fans than anything else.

• DMAC

Why not just have Nnamdi roam in center field and have Huff play corner?

• J Hill

You’re cool one minute, the next minute you’re acting like an a fool.

——————————————————

LMFAO!

cool = agree with you

fool = don’t agree with you

??????

Some of you cats are HILARIOUS!

• bcz24

Dell, BCZ plays me in FF this week

5 straight wins for the Rockstar. Print That
    ***
    Now I will have to destroy you.

• Raider Dell

Raider O

So your answer is, less dollars due to experience.

Ok, were getting somewhere.

Now on to your issue with unions. Let’s set this debate up into context, for our discussion.

Originally, my reply was, to your problems with all unions and then we broke it down to, unions outside of the auto industry and then I replied, to your comment about the National Football League players Union.

So were do we go ,to direct our comments to, what unions. You can’t possibly broad brush and say all unions, regarding pay and revenues to all of them.

So here is your chance to select what Union you’re commenting about or bring up better examples for me to comment towards.

This will have to be a running debate,I have a meeting at 11:00 am, and I must get ready for.

So let me know.

• http://blackhillsphoto.com/sturgis-weddings/black-hills-weddings.jpg Dakota

530.Raider O Says:
    October 29th, 2010 at 10:29 am
    Dakota,

++++++++++++++++++

You would like us to put our guard down wouldn’t you? No way Labbaik boy!

• J Hill

Oh no, MM34 missed a tackle? Ah geez…

How many times do you see 21 attempt a shoulder dive into a shin and miss?

——————————————————-

So Mike Miller is drawing Nnamdi comparisons now?

LMFAO!

• Jimbo

RaiderRockstar Says:
    October 29th, 2010 at 10:24 am

^^^^^^^^^^^

Why would Nnamdi exclusively cover BMW? He usually covers his side of the field, right? BMW is being used all over the field.

• mistic1

# bcz24 Says:
    October 29th, 2010 at 10:21 am

mistic1 Says:
    October 29th, 2010 at 10:07 am
    bcz24 Says:
    October 29th, 2010 at 9:57 am

If he could roam the field, he would have 7+ INT’s every year.
    ============================================================

*****
    He only shadowed Fitzgerald. Otherwise he has played his usual spot.
    ======================================================
    He owned fitz. He lined up across from craptree and shut him down on several snaps. Craptree scored when area 21 wasnt on him. These have been the only two guys that warranted that kind of attention.

So the pawn shop is just your cover?

• DMAC

# J Hill Says:
    October 29th, 2010 at 10:31 am

527.DMAC Says:
    October 29th, 2010 at 10:28 am

——————————————————

LOL!

I guess we agree on Seattle.

You’ll come around on the Ws.
    ==========
    BINGO!

• Jimbo

Counter example = China. A few banker monkeys and a billion wage slaves.

^^^^^^^^^^^

F the unions, they are all sh!t

• Raider Dell

Bauce 4 Real Says:
    October 29th, 2010 at 10:29 am
    im gonna be extra pissy drunk this weekend

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I second that response.

• new englandraider

I am not sensitive at all.

You make it sound as if you’re the only one on the site who knows what they’re talking about… News flash buddy, you’re not.

Like I said, you took my post the wrong way.. Perhaps I am guilty of wording it improperly.

I’ll say it again, it was more of a dig at my neighbors than my fellow Raiders fans.

Kinda like when Moss was acquired by NE, he was garbage, played well and he was the greatest, traded and back to garbage….. The NE fans are by far the most front running fans in the world, trust me.