Defining Raiders moment still to come

There’s some optimism in the Raiders locker room, as voiced by cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha, that the Raiders may wind up looking back at the Denver game as the point where they turned around their season.

“It has the potential,” Asomugha said. “Anytime that you’re coming off a loss and you can put together a game like that, absolutely it has the potential to string into a number of victories going down the road and then you can point back to this game and say, ‘Oh, this was the game that we got over the hump.’ So, that’s our goal.”

A 59-14 win over Denver was a magnificent deviation from the norm, but can no way be extrapolated into the normal NFL season. It will probably be another decade until the Raiders put another 45-point margin on someone. It was in fact a decade since they last did it.

On Dec. 19, 1999, in their second season under Jon Gruden, the Raiders had a win even more impressive than Sunday’s win in Denver.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers came to town in first place in the NFC Central, with the NFL’s second-ranked defense and three potential Hall of Fame players in Derrick Brooks, Warren Sapp and John Lynch.

They were 9-4 and would take eventual Super Bowl champ St. Louis to the wire in the NFC Championship game.

Final score: Raiders 45, Bucs 0.

Oakland rushed for 262 yards, with Tyrone Wheatley (19 carries, 111 yards) and Napoleon Kaufman (9 carries, 122 yards) both going over 100. Against the Oakland defense, the Bucs crossed the 50-yard line exactly twice _ and on one of those possessions punted from the Oakland 49-yard line.

The win evened the Raiders record even at 7-7 and on the periphery of the playoff chase.

What did this momentum get them? A 23-20 loss to the Chargers in San Diego the following week. The Raiders had 46 yards rushing and were shredded for 325 yards passing by Jim Harbaugh.

Every once in awhile a game gets out of control. It’s what happened against the Bucs, and it’s what happened against the Broncos. The Raiders were the better team that day, yes, but the losing teams weren’t nearly as bad as the score indicated. It was simply a quirk of two teams at one point in time having a completely opposite experience and in no way indicative of the usual week-in, week-out grind that is the NFL.

Actually, the Raiders defining moment came two weeks after the Tampa game, and the week following the Chargers debacle.

Trailing 17-0 to the Kansas City Chiefs at Arrowhead Stadium, the Raiders came back and won 41-38 in overtime. The game knocked the Chiefs out of the playoffs and was the springboard for a 12-4 season which brought Oakland a division title and a spot in the AFC championship game.

Unlike the Tampa game, the Chiefs game epitomized what it really takes to win in the NFL _ a willingness and even an eagerness to fight back from a deficit, to make plays in all three phases at crucial times, and to prevail on a day when the end result could have gone either way.

Turnarounds are made on those kinds of games, rather than the rare blowout which is actually more of a statistical fluke than a true indicator of a team’s strength.

With the Seattle Seahawks and Chiefs coming to town the next two weeks, the Raiders will have their chance to prove they can win an important game when every break isn’t going their way.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• McRaider5150

Jimbo Says:
    He runs sloppy routes at times, and it’s going to catch up on him that he’s always pointing to the ref after every drop. It’s like a whiny kid that keeps pestering his momma. After a while they tune em out!
    ******************
    Alvis Whitted and James Jett could run a route to s ame their life, but still got their shots down the field. How can you ask a guy to stretch the field if you don’t throw him the ball?? Just asking

• Bauce 4 Real

I have two teams…..Raiders and whoever plays the 49ers

• DMAC

Just throw DHB the ball deep and hope for a P.I. call.

• Jimbo

DMAC Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 12:11 pm
    FK the Whiners

*******

I’ll root for the Whiners this one week. And any other week they face the Chargers or Chefs.

• Just Fire Baby

I’d take Cam Newton in the 4th round, but that’s about it for now.

Who knows, I’m sure he will go back to school next year and may improve on the passing game.

As much as I hate to say it, I think Matt Barkely of USC is hands down the best pro prospect QB in college.

• DMAC

# Bauce 4 Real Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 12:13 pm

I have two teams…..Raiders and whoever plays the 49ers
    ============
    I gotta agree w/ you on that one B.

• LA to TheBay

Bauce 4 Real Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 12:13 pm
    I have two teams…..Raiders and whoever plays the 49ers
    ——————-

Lol, that’s how I feel about Denver.

• DMAC

Darron Thomas anyone?

• Jimbo

DMAC Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 12:13 pm
    Just throw DHB the ball deep and hope for a P.I. call.

____________

That is DHB’s redeeming virute, eh? ability to get a PI. think about that?

What is hakeem nicks skill. oh yeah, scoring TD’s, making db’s look the fool. And Al chose which WR?

• Bauce 4 Real

I never root for the 49ers….under any circumstances…..i hope they go 1-15

• Bauce 4 Real

LA To TheBay Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 12:15 pm
    Bauce 4 Real Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 12:13 pm
    I have two teams…..Raiders and whoever plays the 49ers
    ——————-

Lol, that’s how I feel about Denver.
    *************

Dont get your angle….our hatred is bigger than you can know

• Jimbo

Broncos Niners Superbowl…who did you root for back then Bauce?

• LA to TheBay

That is DHB’s redeeming virute, eh? ability to get a PI. think about that?

————-

DHB and Murphy are often open but Campbell has little faith in them/himself.

• Jimbo

There was a fan they showed on TV with a Niner Jersey and Raider hat. If he was at the Coliseum, I do believe they would rearrange his teeth for him.

• PurpleDrank81

DraftSITE.com has us picking up Colin Kaepernick in the 4th round…..Maybe the 7th round but not the 4th in my eyes

• Just Fire Baby

DMAC Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 12:15 pm
    Darron Thomas anyone?

******************************

Haven’t watched much, now that I don’t live in Vegas and bet on games all day on Saturday, don’t watch nowhere near the same amount of Saturday football.

• Bauce 4 Real

LAtoBay you aint from up here so i dont expect you to get it……we are looked down upon by that side ofthe bay in many aspects not just sports…..many Raider ppl left in 1982 and jumped over there when they bounced to LA…….its deeper than you can fathom my friend….Denver aint shhht to us

• DMAC

# Just Fire Baby Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 12:19 pm

DMAC Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 12:15 pm
    Darron Thomas anyone?

******************************

===============
    Vegas,
    If you get a chance, check the kid out.

• Bauce 4 Real

Jimbo Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 12:17 pm
    Broncos Niners Superbowl…who did you root for back then Bauce?
    *******************************

Denver for sure….are you crazy….let sf get number 6?

• Just Fire Baby

That is the best hope on deep passes to DHB….a PI call.

Beign that he has never caught a deep pass in a regular season game in over a year, why would anyone (including the QB’s) think he is going to go up and make a play on the ball?

Just flop baby!!!

Bauce 4 Real Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 12:13 pm
    I have two teams…..Raiders and whoever plays the 49ers

::::::::::::::::::::::

So u a Denver “fan” huh

• Jimbo

DHB and Murphy are often open but Campbell has little faith in them/himself.

*********

Agree that they get separation. But Campbell’s indecision and slow release make you scream at the TV when you see the DB recover as the Murph and DHB have to adjust to the ball late and they get taken out.

• Jimbo

Just flop baby!!!

^^^^^^

Vlade Bey

• Bauce 4 Real

Bo Schembechler Jackson Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 12:20 pm
    Bauce 4 Real Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 12:13 pm
    I have two teams…..Raiders and whoever plays the 49ers

::::::::::::::::::::::

So u a Denver “fan” huh
    **************************

Denver plays SF this week right?……..Go Denver…..if you are at game on sunday watch reaction of crowd when they announce the 49ers losnig to Denver…..resounding yells of joy

• DMAC

# Just Fire Baby Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 12:20 pm

That is the best hope on deep passes to DHB….a PI call.

Just flop baby!!!
    ============
    Thats what I’m saying. Throw the schit deep and hope for a 50 yd P.I. call.

• DMAC

Then finish the play w/ a DMAC TD run.

Darrius Heyward-Rodman lol

• Jimbo

Thats what I’m saying. Throw the schit deep and hope for a 50 yd P.I. call

——-

Get DHB trained up in getting his feet tangled on purpose (accidentally) with the DB.

• mistic1

# DMAC Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Thoughts on Darron Thomas (Oregon)?
    Looks fkin good.
    ===========================================================

i love that kids game. I have number 3 behind newton, and griffin at baylor.

• Just Fire Baby

Sadly, Campbell and Bruce 27th and 29th in the NFL in QB rating (respectively).

Only guys worse are Sam Bradford, Brett FAvre, Jimmy Claussen, Derek Anderson and Matt Moore.

YIKES!!!!!

• Jimbo

Maybe DHB needs glasses. Like the pitcher in Major League, Wild Thing, He couldnt pitch for ish till he got those dorky glasses. Maybe he gets fitted for contacts and he see and turns into the next Jerry Rice.

• raiderlaker1980

Bauce, yeah being an Oakland native all my life, I know how it is socially, hell even the San Bruno and MIllbrae mf’s who have nothing to do with it turn their noses up, but you know what, I can’t ever root for a division team, unless they’re completely out of it, and can make the niners feel even worse…I hate those teams in SF and even want the Rangers to win the World Series…even though I’m not a baseball fan, I just don’t wanna see the Giants/Niner fans happy, but I can’t root for them to lose to Denver, and with the Chiefs undefeated at the time, I dam sure didn’t root for KC lol, just can’t do it mane..but I hear you on those snobby “city by the bay” folks

• McRaider5150

Nnamdi21 Says:

CBs hold him every chance they get especially when playing off coverage.

He needs to learn hand fighting and to create seperation in man.

=======================
    I agree that that could be the issue sometimes, but do you know how other teams counter that?

They either have him off the ball to give him more space, or they bring him into the slot position. Jett and Whitten made their play in slot not onthe outside.

Sorry,bottom line is we lack coaching at the WR and QB position. Put Murphy or DHB on a team with good coaching and a QB, you’ll se much better results.

• Jimbo

raiderlaker1980 Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 12:26 pm

^^^^^^^^^^

4 real man.

GO NINERS! YYYYEEEEAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!

BAUCE

• Just Fire Baby

Go SF Giants!!!

Probably one of the only Cal Bears, Golden State Warriors, Oakland Raiders, SF Giants fans in the world.

• http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ KoolKell

Man, the Warriors looked good last nite.

• Bauce 4 Real

Raiderlaker1980 Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 12:26 pm
    ********************************

I damn will stay rooting against the 49ers…..i want denver to beat them then SD i hope kills them by 50!

• raiderdeek

DMAC Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 12:13 pm
    Just throw DHB the ball deep and hope for a P.I. call.

——–
    DHB has to go up to get the ball in order to get the PI call. Instead he waits for it like he’s holding a heavy basket of fruit. Then he wonders why he didn’t get the PI call and ref thinks “because the defender was playing the ball more than you were!” I guarantee he’d have drawn at least 3 PI calls this year for big gains if he would just go for the ball instead of wait for it to come down to him. I really hope Jackson is telling him this.

• Just Fire Baby

David Lee will be the difference for this team making a playoff run.

Can’t drift out of the paint, because that goofy dude can score and bang the glass down there.

No more of these Anthony Randolph-want-to-shoot-3′s types of big dudes.

• http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXj7I1RzLSE&feature=related exlaraiderseasonticketholder

KoolKell Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 12:31 pm
    Man, the Warriors looked good last nite.
    —————————————–
    A notch better than with Nelson but still suck!

Go Lakers! lmfao

• PurpleDrank81

The warriors looked real good last nite… Im loving the David Lee pick up and Beidrins looks like he’s back to being the double double guy he way in 08

• McRaider5150

Jimbo Says:
    —————

guess what??? Last year on the Radio Tim Brown said that he thought this might be the problem. He said he thought it looked like the ball was getting on him too fast and that he might have a problem with vision.

• Bauce 4 Real

And how are you a oakland native withthe Laker stuff going on in your handle? You must mean Lake Merritt i hope

• Bauce 4 Real

Bo Schembechler Jackson Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 12:28 pm
    GO NINERS! YYYYEEEEAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!

BAUCE
    ******************

Niners not winning and Denver will win…….you are not a BAUCE

• Gary

Another low road post Jerry. What does any of the stuff you brought up REALLY have to do with this week? I am sure there are plenty of times when the raiders had blow out victories and won the following week?? Yes?? This is not about a defining moment this is about the raiders beating seattle this week, that is all.

• http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ KoolKell

David Lee, and that D Wright dude, too. S Curry is fabulous.

• Bauce 4 Real

exla…..dont matter…..our fans much better than the punk LA crowds….way more hoop knowledge is flowing up here

• raiderlaker1980

LOL your right to root for whoever Bauce… I just can’t agree with you on that one… we can agree on one thing though….Go Raiders

• Jimbo