Thursday notes

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Thursday, October 28th, 2010 at 1:21 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Some notes from the Raiders media availability period Thursday as passed along by beat writer Steve Corkan and those on site:

– Jason Campbell and Kyle Boller took first-team walkthrough reps during the media practice window, with Bruce Gradkowski confining himself to a handful of 10-yard throws off to the side.

– Center Samson Satele, defensive end Matt Shaughnessy and cornerback Chris Johnson were all at practice and could be on track to face Seattle after concussions sustained against Denver.

– Guard Robert Gallery, who was on the field Wednesday with a calf strain and then held out of the actual practice, was on the field again. Cable said Wednesday he expected Gallery to practice.

– LB Travis Goethel (lower back) was on the practice field, was was LB Thomas Howard (knee). TE Zach Miller (arch) was working in team drills, as was Brandon Myers, who missed the Broncos game with a concussion.

Those not present included defensive tackle John Henderson (stress fracture) and wide receiver Chaz Schilens.

– Defensive coordinator John Marshall served in the same capacity for the Seahawks from 2006 through 2008 and was the Seattle linebackers coach from 2003 through 2005, but said the changeover on offense isn’t going to give him much in the way of advance intelligence.

“There’s none, scheme-wise, other than Matt Hasselbeck and being a West Coast quarteback,” Marshall said. “That part of it is still intact. The routes have changed, the philosophy, that kind of thing. Not many of the players are still there from when I was there.”

Marshall said Seattle has a fast-flowing defense, pointing to middle linebacker Lofa Tatupu and outside linebacker Aaron Curry as the key.

“I don’t know that there’s a real standout big playmaker guy, they all make plays,” Marshall said. “They just scurry around and play good, hard defense.”

– The way Marshall sees it, the Raiders longstanding tradition of coveting fast players who look good “coming off the bus” makes more sense than ever given the direction of modern offenses.

“They spread you out and get a lot more one-on-one type situations, a lot more area for linebackers and safeties to cover,” Marshall said. “It sounds stupid, but `bigger, faster, stronger.’ The more speed you have on the field, the better flexibility you have in your defense to cover people and to run down plays.”

Defensive coordinator John Fassel agreed.

“Fast guys usually means success on special teams,” Fassel said. “What I try not to do is overcoach the guys, especially the athletes, the fast guys, the kind of guys that are a little crazy. They;e perfect for special teams. I don’t want them to think too much out there. That’s kind of the way we’ve been going about it.”

– Rookie Jacoby Ford, talking with reporters about being prepared regardless of his role, let it slip that he’d be the starter opposite Darrius Heyward-Bey Sunday in place of the injured Louis Murphy.

“I’m always preparing like I am going to be the starter, that’s what coach Sanjay (Lal) tell us,” Ford said. “It just so happens that I actually will be the starter this game, so it’s no different for me, preparing-wise. I’ve just got to go out there and mkaae some plays when my number is called.”

– Nick Miller has been getting extra work at different positions and should get more snaps, although coach Tom Cable made it sound Wednesday he’d be fourth in the pecking order Heyward-Bey, Ford and Johnnie Lee Higgins.

“I’m getting to know all the positions just in case they need me,” Miller said.

Miller and Ford, both sub-six-footers, have gotten a nickname from the coaching staff.

“The coaches call us the Smurfs. They’re like, `Oh, the Smurfs are in there,’ ” Miller said. “They joke around and say that but you guys can say what you want, I guess.”

More to come after coach Tom Cable’s post-practice press briefing . . .

• Bauce 4 Real

Pd81….in college i use to mash em on a 4’8 bz…..does that count?

• ArchiveTony

# Mistabr0wn Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 3:05 pm

KKKell @ Tony but he is here 18 hours a day 7 days a week so the jury is still out.
    =============-
    hmm. maybe canvanssing through you guys?

• PurpleDrank81

Im to big myself to have a big girl..If you wana see hippos mate go to the Zoo lmao

• http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ KoolKell

ArchiveTony Says:
    October 27th, 2010 at 11:33 pm
    # KoolKell Says:
    October 27th, 2010 at 11:28 pm
    How the hell can you differentiate Al Davis from the Oakland Raiders Team, when he calls all the shots?
    ==============
    that is something a 12 yr old says.
    won’t matter when I explain it to you. you want the attention, is all.
    ———————————————————–
    Tony, do you know me? I don’t know you, unless you were posting under another name. I don’t speak for you, please don’t try to assign my motives, like you know me. When you post something I take you for your word. Please allow me the same courtesy.

Now, please tell this 12 yr old how one seperates Al Davis from the performance of the Oakland Raider Football Team?

• PurpleDrank81

Yea anythin under 4’9

• http://blackhillsphoto.com/sturgis-weddings/black-hills-weddings.jpg Dakota

Gooooooo Raiders!

Mistabr0wn Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 3:06 pm
    Trade BsJ for a used prophylactic.
    ********************

We have a winner…..post of the week….some dont use condies tho

• Mistabr0wn

Leave KKKell out of this.
    ____

# PurpleDrank81 Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 3:07 pm

• PurpleDrank81

The smallest chick I was with was 5 feet it was so funny when we would walk down the street kuz im 6’2 320 and she was like 5’0 and maybe a hundred pounds

• ArchiveTony

# Bauce 4 Real Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Tony…..big girls? Wow aint done that in a minute…..but i will if no one is looking lol
    ———==
    lol. didn’t mean that kinda big, meant big as in numbers.
    of course, in the dark not as important where you park, so to speak

• Bauce 4 Real

PD81….well then in LA i banged a midget….for a cool while too!

• Just Fire Baby

If ya’ll like Pinky than you would like this short, dancer sista I’ve been scrogging.

Black girls dig white guys with soul.

(And a few bucks lol)

• mistic1

ArchiveTony Says:

Nope you missed the boat. My point was that he is improving. he is better than last year, and more than likely continue to improve. Too soon to pull the plug. he wasnt able to make those play last year, this is the definition of growth.

you said i was buying preseason hype, you are wrong. My opinion is a direct result from what i see when i watch, not bloggers, writers or anything else.

Your opinion is noted and time will tell. i think he will continue to grow into a very good player in time.
    =================
    missed the boat? your answer indicates it was more on the line of a porous canoe.
    stop with the weak whiney replies. your point is he’s better than last year? that’s it? he was the worst of the worst last year. he’s the worst of the worst this year. you reply ‘he caught a couple of 4th qtr balls’. so what? he dropped even more. in other words, he still sucks

again, the bloggers, writers, announcers all see the same thing. which is Bey is a liability. you have selective vision, that blocks out the obvious.
    in other words, you lack that what is needed to admit you’re wrong.

===========================================================

There is nothing whiney about what i said. DHb has improved from last year. That is my point. You jumped and in on the conversation and missed the point that I made.

The next point my opinion is just that, mine. i dont rely on media, or support groups, only what i see with my own eyes.

I dont know what your point is, and dont give a rats ass about what you think.

Next time shut your mouth when grown folks are talking, you just might learn something.

post of the week

:::::::::::::::::::::

u mean “weak”

• Just Fire Baby

Big girls try harder.

• PurpleDrank81

I like post 161… Does being in the back of a Buick in the middle of a bar parking lot count as the Dark lmao

LOL Tony….youuuurrrrrrreeeeeeeeee GREAT!

• PurpleDrank81

I want to no more about this short sista JFB

• mistic1

ArchiveTony Says:

in other words, you lack that what is needed to admit you’re wrong.
    ========================================================= as a matter of fact your take about wether or not he is a good player has nothing to do with the point I made.

You are the reason it does no good to form opinions based on what fans say on blogs, because for the most part, like you many are clueless.

Adios for now Raider fans – especially you Joe Barry…er I mean Brien.

Bo Schembechler Jackson Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 3:10 pm
    post of the week

:::::::::::::::::::::

u mean “weak”
    ********************

Sorry but it was a good one….come on Bo you cant be the only one with the jokes….share the wealth…you are a liberal commie so it should bother ya

• Bauce 4 Real

I’m not a fan Bo….nice try

• Just Fire Baby

Her name is Cashmir, lol….

Big fakies, three kids, down for your boy.

Not happy being the #2 apparently, she tried to sneak in a late night text knowing the wifey was home to cause some drama.

Just Fire Baby Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 3:10 pm

Black girls dig white guys with soul.

(And a few bucks lol)
    ************************

LOL yeah some of my white patnas get over too with that…its amazing if yall just know a lil bit than the average white guy you are in like a dirty sock

• Bauce 4 Real

Look at VR…..he wants some brown sugar lol

• ArchiveTony

# KoolKell Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 3:08 pm

ArchiveTony Says:
    October 27th, 2010 at 11:33 pm
    # KoolKell Says:
    October 27th, 2010 at 11:28 pm
    ==============
    that is something a 12 yr old says.
    won’t matter when I explain it to you. you want the attention, is all.
    ———————————————————–

=====================
    I already did comment on it. followed right below the post you just pasted. here it is again. I stick by it. the owner is not the team. the water boy is not the team. the usher is not the team. the players are the team. you don’t have to like any of the above to like a team.

# ArchiveTony Says:
    October 27th, 2010 at 11:38 pm

very simple how it works. fans live and breathe the team. the 53 players they hope make them proud. sometimes the owner or coaches get in the way, and you hate what they do. but you still love the team. the owner is not the team. the coaches are not the team. if you are lucky enough to support a team who has a good owner, and good coaches, count your blessing.

• PurpleDrank81

Haha priceless

• PurpleDrank81

Who was in here talkin about Cam Newton?????

• http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ KoolKell

Brien

Are you going to hold this blog hostage all-day with your needy frontin nonsense?

I thought you had a J-o-b.

• JB

This past year I was a big proponent of bringing in Troy Smith, QB-RFA Ravens. We passed on him and took JCampbell instead. We all know about JCampbell’s limitations now.

In the meantime, the 49er’s picked up Troy Smith as their #3 QB. Now it’s been announced that with Alex Smith’s injury, Troy Smith has been named as the new starting QB, being promoted over Carr, the #2QB.

I predict that Troy Smith with assume the #1 QB position and keep it. He will prove to be an outstanding leader and will turn the Niner season around.

My point, we should have picked Troy Smith when we had the opportunity. He will turn out to be their franchise QB – something that we still need to find.

Write that down as I told you so.

• http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ KoolKell

Tony

Did you know that Al Davis is the GM of the Raiders?

• ArchiveTony

LOL @ mistic.
    someone throwing a little tantrum? hey, was a stupid comment, and your reaction shows you know it is.
    Like it or not, Bey was the worst of the worst, and is still the worst of the worst. you replying that he caught a couple of balls, and that it told you that he’s new and improved just makes you appear slow, and confused.
    oh, and stupid. let’s not forget that.
    now, tells us all again how Bey looks so good this year compared to last year.

• http://raiders.com A.B. Paine III

Troy Smith? Who cares?

• ArchiveTony

# KoolKell Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Tony

Did you know that Al Davis is the GM of the Raiders?
    ============
    GM is not the team.
    President is not the team.
    owner is not the team.
    players are the team.
    I tune in to watch the players play.
    not the GM.
    not the owner.
    I follow the team. sometimes the GM messes with the team. or the owner. or the coach. regardless, they will never be the team.
    You follow an organization.
    I follow a team.

KoolKell Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 3:19 pm
    Brien

I thought you had a J-o-b.
    ****************************

Phone sales….and im nice with it to where i can do this and that at the same time

• Bauce 4 Real

Hey Kell look….your rump ranger boyfriend AB Paine is here……oh i get it….thats why wifey aint getting you to hold up your end of the bargain

• http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ KoolKell

Tony

Get serious, you act as if Al Davis was just some old beneign Owner sitting up in the box fast asleep.

Did you know that Al Davis is the GM and Chief Architect of the Oakland Raiders.

• PurpleDrank81

Also in sales so I get to just sit here and kick it all day

• ArchiveTony

# JB Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Write that down as I told you so.
    ===================
    hope ur wrong. don’t need to waken up the niners or their fans.

ArchiveTony Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 3:23 pm
    # KoolKell Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Tony

Did you know that Al Davis is the GM of the Raiders?
    ============
    GM is not the team.
    President is not the team.
    owner is not the team.
    players are the team.
    I tune in to watch the players play.
    not the GM.
    not the owner.
    You follow an organization.
    I follow a team.
    ******************

DAAAAAMMMMMMMMMM

PurpleDrank81 Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 3:24 pm
    Also in sales so I get to just sit here and kick it all day
    **************************

No you are lying….no way you have a job according to Kell

• Just Fire Baby

Sales are great.

No other way to do it IMO.

Bust azz from 6 am to about 11, long lunch, screw around for a few hours there after, rinse wash repeat.

• http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ KoolKell

ArchiveTony Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 3:23 pm
    # KoolKell Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Tony

Did you know that Al Davis is the GM of the Raiders?
    ============
    GM is not the team.
    President is not the team.
    owner is not the team.
    players are the team.
    I tune in to watch the players play.
    not the GM.
    not the owner.
    You follow an organization.
    I follow a team.
    ——————————–
    You choose to narrow the vision, I guess. I look at the whole, plus the W-L record.

• PurpleDrank81

8 to 8 chill with heating and air conditioning do some paper work…All I gotta do is make 3 or 4 sales in the morning get my weekly bonus and relax

• ArchiveTony

# KoolKell Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Tony

===============================
    whats ur point koolkell?
    I think the original comment was on the line of support the team. someone, maybe you said you can’t support the team and leave out Al.
    yes you can.
    Al is not the team. he owns the team. he is affecting the team. he is making bad decisions that affect the team. but when al moves on, the team will remain. new gm? team remains. gm leaves? team remains.
    the front office is not the team.
    if that was the case half the teams in the NFL wouldn’t have any fans, right?

• aig-raiders

Just Fire Baby Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 3:16 pm
    Her name is Cashmir, lol….

Big fakies, three kids, down for your boy.

——————–

Say it aint so bro. C’mon as reasonable as you are on here, I expect you to manage this better than that. LMAO.

• aig-raiders

Tony,

You’re making too much sense. KK may not be able to handle it.

• PurpleDrank81

Go get alil pre paid phone and have her call that number

• ArchiveTony

# KoolKell Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 3:27 pm

ArchiveTony Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 3:23 pm
    # KoolKell Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Tony

Did you know that Al Davis is the GM of the Raiders?
    ============
    GM is not the team.
    President is not the team.
    owner is not the team.
    players are the team.
    I tune in to watch the players play.
    not the GM.
    not the owner.
    You follow an organization.
    I follow a team.
    ——————————–
    ===============
    I can’t look at the whole. too painful.

• Raiders74

Does anyone know which suite number Al Davis sits in?