NFL Network’s Top 10 Raiders

Caught the NFL Network’s hour-long show selecting the top 10 Raiders of all-time, and the decisions were so difficult they actually squeezed 12 names into a Top 10.

Here’s how they did it:

00–Jim Otto

1–tie, Gene Upshaw and Art Shell

2–Howie Long

3–Fred Biletnikoff

4–Ken Stabler

5–Tim Brown

6–George Blanda

7–Cliff Branch

8–Jim Plunkett

9–Willie Brown

10–Marcus Allen

Great idea to put Shell and Upshaw together. Impossible to separate what they did as a tandem on the left side of the offensive line.

Let the nitpicking begin.

A few objections on my part.

– Ted Hendricks belongs on this list. Yes, he played for the Baltimore Colts and briefly for the Packers, but he was uniquely Raider to the core. There has never been another player with his skill set in the history of the NFL.

– Way too high _ Tim Brown, Long. They make anyone’s all interview teams and were undeniably great players. Brown was a virtual stranger to the post season and was a non-factor when he got there. Said it before and I’ll say it again _ Branch should go to the Hall of Fame before Brown.

– Way too low _ Willie Brown. Top five, at least.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• Just Fire Baby

Hendricks blocked something crazy like 25 kicks in his career.

• Mistabr0wn

Curry’s status.

CURRY: “A lot of guys gave me advice about how long the season is and making sure its 100 percent. Since we don’t play until Wednesday, maybe that would be a smart thing to miss Sunday and have almost a full week and get it right before our long road trip out east. So it all depends on how I feel (Saturday) and go from there.”

• bcz24

Who would you start, Ward against NO with both their starting QBs out, or Santana Moss against detroit?

• armond

74.Mistabr0wn Says:
    October 31st, 2010 at 9:12 am
    Armond why are you pulling the race card?

——————————————————-
    mista, it has to do with all the bs aig said about black people being homers for campbell and hue jackson. has nothing to do with u or any1else. he called me, jhill and a few others homers for these guys when we all attacked both of them after the season opener. im just throwing some of his own bullsh!t back in his face. he knows what im talkin about.

• http://Raiders.com RaiderTW

Ben Davidson was one of my favorites from my early years as a Raider fan. I got a jersey signed by him. Anyone with a circus strongman mustache spearing Len Dawson is a hero in my book! lol

• Violent Hands

Marcus Allen#5 and Tim Brown# 10

• AirborneRaider

I don’t think they’re using Hendricks being on the Colts as a reason to not add them to his list, they do have Blanda up there.

• aig-raiders

Armond,

did I say I liked Jeremy Lin? No. I was lmao at the how much hype there was for him. I know nothing about his game other than what I have read and no I’m no fan of his. I will reserve judgement when I see him play more. As with the other Asian fans, yeah they are homers for their boy. He is the first Chinese American to play for the NBA so I can see why they are excited plus he is a hometown product. Are we clear?

• aig-raiders

Mistabr0wn Says:
    October 31st, 2010 at 9:02 am
    Aig, as usual you are speaking out of the crack of your a$$.

J Lin played the last 1.5 mins. The crowd was going crazy every time he touched the ball, for what reason I have no idea.
    —————-

Mrs. Brown,

I was referring to the first game of the season for the Dubs. Lin didnt even dress up for the game but there were 4 interviews with him afterward. If you have followed the W’s, you’d know that he and Curry are 2 most sought after W’s for media requests now. As usual, you’re a lot of hot air but no substance.

BTW, I dont like you. You’re a jerrrk on here and yeah I proudly voted for Pres. B. Hussein O.. In 2012, I look forward to using my immigrant turned citizen vote to cancel out your vote. We clear?

• AirborneRaider

I think they should’ve added Madden and the Assassin in there. Just my opinion on the subject.

• VanHeathen

Plunket deserves to be higher than #8,
    classic Al reclamation story that ends in 2 SB wins…

BTW: the DUBS are FOR REAL!

Just Win Baby!

• mistic1

On offense this game is all about campbell & the receivers. The hawks will keep safeties in a high shell to counter our speedy receivers, this will alow them to blitz. Campbell will hit our guys underneath in the vacated areas and our guys will catch and run. DHB could get 4-7 catches today. Screens to the backs, & bubble screens to the wides will slow down the rush. More zone read option from tje pistol will take advantage of the uber agressive d-ends. Pass early, pound the edges in the run game, the hawks are solid up the gut.

• mistic1

On offense this game is all about campbell & the receivers. The hawks will keep safeties in a high shell to counter our speedy receivers, this will alow them to blitz. Campbell will hit our guys underneath in the vacated areas and our guys will catch and run. DHB could get 4-7 catches today. Screens to the backs, & bubble screens to the wides will slow down the rush. More zone read option from tje pistol will take advantage of the uber agressive d-ends. Pass early, pound the edges in the run game, the hawks are solid up the gut, but the d- ends dont hold the edge.

• Just Fire Baby

That rookie safety for the Seahawks is legit in the passing game.

We want to stay away from him.

DHB with 4-7 catches? I will have to see it to believe it.

• aig-raiders

JFB,

The crowd is rooting for Lin because of 2 things: A local product and the first Chinese American to make it to the big league. One of the W’s owners, Lacob, is a big fan of Lin. He’s a Stanford Booster and was ticked off that Stanford, in his words, “didnt bother to walk across the street to recruit him” since he was from Palo Alto. The kid is currently embarrassed about so much publicity and love for him even though he is riding pine.

• mistic1

Love to see ford on the reverse motion to give a pitch option on the zone read from the pistol.

• aig-raiders

Earl Thomas is PLAYMAKER. JC needs to watch out for him today. I saw him made plays for Sea this year when they played SD. I think he got 2 ints for that game.

• armond

aig, did u really think i would let that lin sh!t slip by without askin u about that? i hope lin works out 2 cuz we need as much help off the bench as we can get. just wanted to see u actually call some other people homers since thats what u like to do. now are we clear?

• mistic1

Defense is simple stuff the run and force hasslebeck into predictable pass situation 2nd 3rd long. Then our dline can come after him, he isnt the same guy that went to the probowl. This where our press man that you imposters hate comes into play, we will blanket the wides which allows us to use backers in the occasional blitz. If we can get a 7-10 point lead we can take the run out of the equation, make a lo g day for the hawks.

• AirborneRaider

Hopefully our own TX safety can outplay their TX safety.

• Just Fire Baby

I watched Lin ball on John Wall in the Summer league.

There is always going to be fan favorites, for whatever reason.

Just like Gradkowski right?

• mistic1

Super juiced to watch young j ware get some run. He is fast agressive and plays with attitude. I think he could eventually become the guy opposite area 21.

• armond

would like to see dmc split out wide some in this game. i have a feeling that we will run the ball better than some think. now is the time to open up the playbook. since it will be my 1rst game of the year i know they will run the wildcat for me. now is the time to become more aggressive offensively.

• mistic1

We need our qb in on every snap, the passing game is where this gamwe will be one or lost. The wildcat takes your qb out of the mix. The zone option pistol, puts far more pressure on the defense.

• Just Fire Baby

If we don’t toss a pass or two out of the pistol formation, that thing will get stale fast.

• YoungAmerican

I still think Phil Villapiano is the quintessential Raider.

Ted Hendricks is a glaring omission from that list, though.

• MrBLACK

Where can I watch the game? Online links?

• EMRaiders

I have actually been saying that this whole week. We are short on WRs so this would be a perfect opportunity to try out McF in the slot.

We have to be aggressive but try not to do too much that bites us in the a$$. This team is still blending offensively and throwing too much at them could do more damage than good. But I do think we need to be more creative and aggressive. A fine balance between the two.

As long as we don’t face plant and keep it competitive, we should be ok.

• EMRaiders

firstrow.net

justintv

ilemi.com

this are the 3 I usually start with. Justintv has links that give you other sites with the game on as well. good luck, sometimes the links are not working or too blurry to tell which team is which.

• Just Fire Baby

TO with a TD.

Amazing how a guy with worse hands than DHB continues to catch TD’s every week.

• AirborneRaider

atdhe.net uses veetle and another player to show the games… best one I’ve seen… and I am watching on crappy military connections.

• lefty12

It’s amazing how a QB continually throws to his WRs near rhe goal line.

• 8RaiderReign8

Where the hell is Plunkett on this list. Let me look again to make sure. Oh yeah, there he is AT EIGHT?

• AirborneRaider

It’s unfortunate we don’t have Carson on our team.

• Mistabr0wn

Aig, did you wakeup thinking you had to tell the world who you are voting for in 2012? This a Raider blog you moron! Now that we know you were stupid enough to buy into the mope & change garbage once you are dumb enough to doit again in 2012…lmfao!
    ______

# aig-raiders Says:
    October 31st, 2010 at 9:29 am

• Just Fire Baby

QB’s are going to throw it to guys they trust to make plays in the red zone

• Mistabr0wn

Has tj ever told you how FK’n dumb you are?
    lol
    :D
    _____

# Just Fire Baby Says:
    October 31st, 2010 at 10:16 am

TO with a TD.

Amazing how a guy with worse hands than DHB continues to catch TD’s every week.

• Raiders for life

30.Just Fire Baby Says:
    October 31st, 2010 at 10:16 am
    TO with a TD.

Amazing how a guy with worse hands than DHB continues to catch TD’s every week.

########

Can’t wait to hear the response from Preisttj !

• 8RaiderReign8

Just Fire Baby Says:
    October 31st, 2010 at 10:23 am
    QB’s are going to throw it to guys they trust to make plays in the red zone
    _______________

Brilliant

• Just Fire Baby

I hope DHB breaks out today and smashes on them.

I like the kid, hate his production. It is starting to get comical when comparing him to other WR’s taken after him, and what Dez Bryant is doing.

• lefty12

So I guess it is safe to say that one of our QBs has no faith in ANY of our WRs,while the other one has faith in all of them.

• EMRaiders

So which QB would you rather have playing? One that has faith and is willing to take a chance, or one that has no faith and won’t even throw the ball?

• Just Fire Baby

I don’t blame Campbell for not throwing it down the field if the defense is going to let him checkdown his way down the field. If they will let you, do it.

• AirborneRaider

Let’s hope JC let’s it loose.

• lefty12

EM-it could be Donald Duck as long as he wins.

• AirborneRaider

I hope Buffalo beats the Queefs.

• mistic1

Here we go again with the jc doesnt throw stuff. Jc did throw deep last week, we scored a td on one of them. Becuse of this i can see seattle playing deep safetis most of the time. When nothing opens deep throwing underneath is the right play. No matter what jc does it will never be good enough for the haters or th ” heart of a lion club”

• EMRaiders

I wonder how many games we would win with Donald under center…

• mistic1

You dont score 59 points in the nfl without passing the ball. jc deserves some credit vs sd & denver he played very well and has us in position to reach 500. Not to mention endind the dreaded streak and beating 2 division opponents.

• Just Fire Baby

Mistic1,

You saying that pass to Miller was “deep”?

The guy had nobody around within 20 yards, it was a brilliantly executed and called play by Hue Jackson and the offense. Campbell gets credit for it, selling the fake and delivering the ball on time, but he has never had an issue throwing the ball to a wide-open Zack Miller.

We are talking about hitting his WR’s, especially DHB, down the field. Let’s hope he can do it today.