Raiders don’t get mad, they get even

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Sunday, October 31st, 2010 at 7:18 pm in Oakland Raiders.

The heck with getting mad. The Raiders instead got even.

They’re 4-4 on Nov. 1, the first time they’ve seen .500 this late in the season since 2002, and we all know where they ended up that year.

How is this happening?

By being accountable to themselves and not worrying about bad press, bad officiating or shrinking attendance.

Even before the Raiders piled on the points and stats late in a 33-3 win over the Seattle Seahawks Sunday, it was a more impressive win than the previous week’s 59-14 win over the Denver Broncos for a lot of reasons.

It was happening at home, where the Raiders strangely have played worse than they have on the road in recent years.

It happened after a couple of failed opportunities in the red zone to open the game, and turn the clock back a couple of weeks against the 49ers to see how it affected the Raiders that day.

It happened against a Seattle team that entered the game at 4-2 in the NFC West. A weak division to be sure, and the Seahawks aren’t an imposing team.

But the Raiders correctly diagnosed the Seahawks problems perfectly and then took them apart with a picture perfect game plan in all three phases.

It would have been as big a win at 17-3 as it was 33-3 simply because it meant back-to-back wins going into the Kansas City game next week.

The Raiders, for the first time in seven years, are relevant again.

Their fan base will no doubt bring the “no respect theme’’ hard and heavy, but it would behoove the Raiders to handle it exactly as they have so far _ by assessing their strengths, improving their weaknesses and enjoying improvement as a total entitity.

Taking a moment to relive the days of a decade ago driving the kids on vacation to some distant locale, the question arises, “Are we there yet?’’

“No, no, we’re getting there, we’re getting there,’’ Raiders coach Tom Cable said. “It’s great to win this game and get to 4-4. It’s great to win two in a row _ which wasn’t really talked about this week _ and it’s just good to know there’s a lot more football in this team. It’s also disappointing that we are 4-4, to be quite honest with you.’’

More, news, notes, quotes and observations:

— Cable said X-rays on Nnamdi Asomugha’s ankle were negative and that he didn’t know the severity. It didn’t look good.

Just judging from how it looked, I’d be surprised to see him ready to face the Chiefs. He left the game earlier with a hand injury that was wrapped up and returned.

— Monster offensive stats in a game that didn’t look to be headed that way. The Raiders ended with 545 yards of total offense. That’s 1,053 yards in the last two games and a combined score of 92-17. The first time ever going back to back with 500 yards.

Darren McFadden gained 29 yards on his first 12 carries and then 82 on his last nine carries to finish with 111 yards on 21 attempts, highlighted by a 49-yard run.

The Raiders rushed for 239 yards on 39 attempts. Bush had a 30-yard gain, Reece had a 31-yard gain, Darrius Heyward-Bey a 30-yard run with a reverse.

— Passing? How about Jason Campbell going 15 of 27 for 310 yards and two touchdowns, a fourth-and-1 30-yard dart to Reece and a 69-yard strike to Heyward-Bey, who had five catches for 105 yards.

In case you were wondering, Cable says Bruce Gradkowski is the quarterback when healthy. He was throwing 20-yard passes in pregame and was designated as No. 3.

The guess here is Campbell faces the Chiefs.

“Coach Cable came to us the night before the Denver game and said, said, ‘No more ‘what if’, shoulda’, coulda’, woulda’, and throw it out the window. Let’s create things. Let’s try to make things happen,’ ‘’ Campbell said.

“He said, `Just cut it loose.’ Don’t worry about pressuring yourself to make every play worrying about being perfect. Just play ball.’ And I think it kind of won the team over.’’

Campbell even took out tough-guy safety Lawyer Milloy on a reverse to Jacoby Ford which gained 13 yards.

“I’m used to being the one getting hit. To lay one on someone else, it felt good,” Campbell said. “Kyle Boller told me that I should take those pants home because I had a little blood on them.”

— The Raiders had four players with more than 100 yards of combined rushing and receiving _ McFadden (135), Heyward-Bey (135), Reece (122) and Michael Bush (106).

— With the Seahawks missing left tackle Russell Okung and defensive tackle Brandon Mebane due to injury, the Raiders dominated both sides of the line of scrimmage.

Seattle managed just 47 yards rushing on 19 carries, with Marshawn Lynch getting 7 yards on nine carries in his homecoming _ including a 7-yard gain.

With the run choked off, Matt Hasselbeck never had a chance. He was harassed into a 13-for-32 performance and was sacked eight times.

Richard Seymour and Kamerion Wimbley had two sacks each. Tyvon Branch, Matt Shaughnessy, Tommy Kelly and Lamarr Houston had one each.

“It’s like a snowball effect. I get one, he gets one, everybody wants to get one,’’ Kelly said. “It’s like, can’t let them have all the fun. Everybody wants one.”

The Raiders did some blitzing, but it wasn’t necessary to go overboard because the natural pressure was more than Seattle could deal with.

Shaughnessy is giving the Raiders some of their best defensive end play in years. McClain and Houston have made quantum leaps over the last three games.

“I would say the significant strides started three weeks ago,’’ Cable said. “I think the presence of both of those guys is significantly improved. They’re getting it. And you have to talk about Matt Shaughnessy on the other side. He’s doing a heck of a job. I think getting Trevor Scott settled in again at end has really helped us. We have a nice rotation at end.’’

– Quote of the day by Seattle coach Pete Carroll: “We accomplished nothing in any aspect of football.’’

A 1-for-16 performance on third down conversions would be a part of that.

– Reece may not be the best fullback in football, but he is the most unique.

That he has no peer athletically at position which favors plow horses has been evident for some time. Offensive coordinator Hue Jackson is finding more and more ways to get him involved.

— Highlight of the day _ fans on my live chat giving Hue Jackson grief for the fourth-and-1 pass to Reece for a 30-yard touchdown. A perfect pass, a gutsy play executed flawlessly.

Blind luck,said some. Risky and lucky.

Honestly, some people ought to sit back and enjoy the ride. It hasn’t been like this for seven years and there’s no guarantee it will continue, so why not enjoy a decent bottom line for a change?

— Are the Raiders suddenly the NFL’s most fortunate team? Campbell’s pass off the knee of Heyward-Bey which resulted in a 55-yard pass play to Michael Bush was even luckier than Tyvon Branch’s interception which Deon Butler pushed into the air while making a valiant attempt at a reception.

Of course, Stanford Routt originally broke up the pass to Butler that ended up in Branch’s hands.

And, as Cable said, “Good teams get breaks. They make their breaks because of how hard they’re playing.’’

— Reserve tackle Khalif Barnes, who has become a blocking tight end in run formations, has been bragging during open locker room to the media about his skills as a receiver.

He caught his first NFL pass in the first quarter from Campbell and gained six yards.

“Good ball security,’’ Cable deadpanned. “I’d like to see him get more yards. He could have, too.’’

• mistic1

# CJ Legend 34 Says:
    November 1st, 2010 at 10:14 am

*******We have all dogged Al to some degree now it is time to give the man some respect*************

Lets be honest none of us saw the last two games coming and you ahve to give it up to Al for keeping Cable bringing in Hue and pulling off the trade for Campbell and Seymour last year and this years draft picks and trades made early in the season have been a solid A. We are starting to see what they visioned up to this point and great leaders get you to buy into a vision. So hats off to Al for now. He pumps ups his players and compares his players to other Raider greats of the past. He makes them believe they are that great and play up to the greatness.

They have a tackle from Hillsdale and a Safety from OU starting as rookies! That is unheard of fellas.

Come on lets give it up man!
    ==========================================================
    Straight up bra! Al knows what he is doing. it doesnt always work, and when it fails it flames in spectacular fashion, like an exploding zepplin.

But when it works, we dont just win we dominate.

i never want read any importers comparing us the lions, or the browns or any other loser franchise again.

Al davis is the crypt keeper, the puppet master, Zeus!

We better hope he lives another 100 years, we are unique, and there is no other team no other model i would rather follow.

• Raider Dell

Jhill

My t-shirt list is expanding. I will let you know.

• 2romes

lefty12 Says:
    October 31st, 2010 at 11:35 pm
    2romes-don’t mean to but into your conversation,but I think you are doing what many do and that is expect too much too soon from rookies.They need time to adapt to the NFL and many don’t want to give them that time.

——————————————————-
    I think you got it pretty much wrong. I never stated Houston was’nt playing well for a rookie.And No, I don’t expect to much to soon from rookies and I don’t think many of the Raider fans feel that way. Coaches should expect good, consistent play out of there rookies that they start. Many teams stay competitive each year by expecting their rookies to play at a high level. I see nothing wrong with that.
    Also, as I mentioned yesterday I expected better play from Houston and guess what, he played better. I expected better play from the wide receivers guess what, they played better.
    Not expecting a rookie to perform at a good level is an insult to him and the Team.That’s my take on it.

• Ghost to the Post

Good morning nation. Go Raiders. I also have to publicly apologize for bashing Campbell. He looked great. I hope he can keep it up.

• mistic1

# J Hill Says:
    November 1st, 2010 at 10:19 am

614.Bauce 4 Real Says:
    November 1st, 2010 at 10:05 am

Mistical….i hear all that but when playoff time comes u need the fat asses to bottle up things

——————————————————-

Certainly can’t hurt to have BIG John up in there in a rotation with Seymour and TK. Just adds to the flexibility of our Dline. Can slide Seymour or TK to DE from time to time and make us even more stout.

The thing is, once our offense “really” finds it’s grove, teams won’t be able to run the ball since they’ll be down 2 scores.

How about that Marcel Reese cat! How do you game plan for the FB, lol!
    ===========================================================

Cant wait till big hendu comes back! if this is whats meant by run stuffer i can roll with that. i dont like the big fat mt cody types.

• raiderdeek

CJ Legend 34 Says:
    November 1st, 2010 at 10:14 am

Come on lets give it up man!
    ——
    That’s right…lost in the big plays and the great defensive show was the excellent play of Veldeer. He definitely played well yesterday.

• bcz24

btw the Jags & Raiders are both 4-4
    ***
    True. But the Jags have allowed the most points in football too.

• http://raiders.com A.B. Paine III

Mistic1, are you still pounding it like a pirate?

• Raider Dell

I will leave you with a comment that should be all familiar to you who frequent this blog.

Fire Cable.

Fire Sanjay Lal.

Fire the whole Coaching Staff.

Cut Huff, Williams, Branch, Gallery, Howard, and any others I can’t decide right now.

Right Preppie!!

BCZ, just for giggles

after 8 games:

Kirk Morrison has 44 tackles (33 solo)
    Rolando McClain has 40 tackles (25 solo)

Jags have the 22nd ranked rush defense at 119 ypg
    Raiders have the 26th ranked rush defense at 127 ypg

no need for a serious debate here … I’m not a ROMAC hater, but I stand by my previous statements and predictions

• J Hill

btw the Jags & Raiders are both 4-4

—————————————————–

LOL!

Your boy Huff played pretty good yesterday. Had a pick robbed from him.

Like how he stepped out to play bump and run on the edge too!

Shoulda kept the faith a little longer, lol!

***

LOL @ Dell

• Raider Dell

Podunk

Your going to lose this weekend, as I’m the Denver team who is not predictable.

Just bring it, and will see who wins.

• bcz24

Wait, did Marley lose again Dell? I think I will take over first place!!! WOOHOOO

• http://blackhole@aldavisshouldbeonmountrushmore Drexl

“This is what I saw in our team when I came over here last year,” defensive lineman Richard Seymour said. “This is the kind of thing me and Mr. (Al) Davis talked about.”
    ————–
    I would love to hear those conversations.

Jhill,

you know theres still room on the Huff bandwagon, right?

Mike Huff = Pro Bowl

there is only 1 free safety in the league with more tackles than Huff Daddy and that is Michael Griffin (TEN). Huff has 50 tackles, 42 solo!

he also has a sack and 2 forced fumbles

• Raider Dell

bcz24 Says:
    November 1st, 2010 at 10:34 am

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    I think he may have a player or two tonight, not sure. Yes he was losing as of yesterday.

Jhill, gotta give your boy Stan Routt some credit

he has 9 passes defensed so far this year, which is actually the same amount as CWood in Green Bay and MORE than Chump Bailey!

Routt has MORE tackles and the same amount of INT’s as Chump too – LOL

• J Hill

RRS,

Right up until week 3 I called him the 2nd best DB on our team.

Was just a bit frustrated with all the PA fakes we kept getting beat on, and his ride my back tackling approach.

• J Hill

RRS,

Best thing that has happened to our secondary is the improved play of our front 7.

Pass rush and run defense by them has freed them up to do what they do best.

I agree with Mista, that I don’t think we will miss Nnamdi against KC. Cassell is nothing to worry about. We need to stop Jones and Charles, and we’ll be 5-4 going into the bye.

Just bring it, and will see who wins.

***

Dell,

last week I was short 3 Giants, 2 Ravens and 1 Saint

this week I’m only short Kenny Britt and a kicker!

I’m gonna bring it. Podunk Express non stop to 5-4

• http://ibbahttp://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo249/the408RAIDER/749px-I-420svg.png 4evaRaider

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

***

Agreed!

Jhill + Brown = lucid

• Raider Dell

RaiderRockstar Says:
    November 1st, 2010 at 10:42 am
    Just bring it, and will see who wins.

***

Dell,

last week I was short 3 Giants, 2 Ravens and 1 Saint

this week I’m only short Kenny Britt and a kicker!

I’m gonna bring it. Podunk Express non stop to 5-4

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I just peeed my pants, LOL

• bcz24

J Hill Says:
    November 1st, 2010 at 10:39 am
    RRS,

Right up until week 3 I called him the 2nd best DB on our team.

*************
    It was that zone defense Marshall was running, to put our secondary in position for run support. They went back to Raider Defense before the denver game, and we see how that worked out!

• Raider Dell

RRS

Turkey hunting season started, any luck?

I just peeed my pants

***

Dell, dont sweat it

my preggo wife has done that a few times :)

• 2romes

I want to thank Raiders for making sunday another joyous one. Coach Cable has changed his demeanor to a no nonsense coach and it is reflective by the teams performance. A good head coaches sees that all three phases of the game are consistent on a weekly basis.Coach Cable is doing that.

• mistic1

# A.B. Paine III Says:
    November 1st, 2010 at 10:27 am

Mistic1, are you still pounding it like a pirate?
    ===========================================================

Thanks for resetting my typo. Lol. My guys are pounding you, and making you walk the plank, along with your guy grads starting career.

• Bauce 4 Real

Raaaaaaiiiiidddddeeeerrrrrrsssssss!

• Raider Dell

Bauce

Your buddy is on this blog!!

Turkey hunting season started, any luck?

***

not in Podunk. yesterday was the last day of Fall Turkey Season

saw a bunch, couldn’t get a shot at one!

deer came within 10 feet of me, but I had a shotgun and deer season doesn’t open until 11/13

• mistic1

First quarter our o-line from the center across the right side is on roller skates. cant wait until next year when b campbell is ready and we draft more guys.

DHb has a huge first quarter with the reverse, and big time catch off the slant. yes big time he caught the ball while absorbing a shot, he is becoming our best guy.

If chaz the glass ever makes it back, he will have a tough time getting on the field, unless you give him murphs time. Ford and DHb must play they are truly game changers.

• bcz24

A flock of turkeys live on my moms land. I see em a lot during hunting season, they seem to know my moms land is posted for no hunting.

• Bauce 4 Real

Cable still an idiot to me….but he doing something right

***

Agreed!

this team is built & trained for man2man and when we get away from that teams really pick us apart through the air. Imagine what’ll happen when we face SD in Round2 with man2man and Rivers has nobody to throw to!

I honestly think we’re gonna drop the hammer on the Dolts.

• Bauce 4 Real

Lol Dell yeah MR has shown up

Br ien…

why is Cable an idiot?

A flock of turkeys live on my moms land. I see em a lot during hunting season

***

belly crawl to within 25 feet of them dressed in camo garb and shoot the biggest gobbler you see

Fall season in MO we can even shoot 2 in the same day (including hens!)

• Raider Dell

Later Nation!!

Enjoy your Monday, 24 hour rule, chefs up next.

• mistic1

# RaiderRockstar Says:
    November 1st, 2010 at 10:29 am

BCZ, just for giggles

after 8 games:

Kirk Morrison has 44 tackles (33 solo)
    Rolando McClain has 40 tackles (25 solo)

Jags have the 22nd ranked rush defense at 119 ypg
    Raiders have the 26th ranked rush defense at 127 ypg

=========================================================

Stats dont tell the whole story in this case. Do you watch the jags play? i do , I am a gerrard fan( by the way some folks here said he was garbage, you got spanked yesterday). But kikr is up to his old tricks, tacking 5-6 sometimes 10 yds down the field. he is way out of position on most plays, he shoots the wrong gaps, and looks the same as he did here. Romac is forcing the whole running over o -linemmen, and making stops in the gap and in the back field. No comparison, romac is a huge upgrade.

• Bauce 4 Real

Im callin it……indy doesnt make playoffs this year….no dallas clark

• Bauce 4 Real

4eva……oline issues,embarrassing pressers, farglass love, upholding kwame n grove as starters

Im callin it……indy doesnt make playoffs this year….no dallas clark

***

it’ll be interesting tonight for sure

Clark, Collie, Addai are out

Donald Brown, Garcon, Gonzalez and Wayne are all questionable

backup TE is Brody Eldridge (who?) and has 3 catches through Indy’s first 7 games

• http://raiders.com A.B. Paine III

Im callin it….Bauce is an imbecile….no clue.

• http://blackhole@aldavisshouldbeonmountrushmore Drexl

# The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    October 29th, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Raiders don’t follow up on big wins.

Seattle 28
    Raiders 27
    ————–
    # 4evaRaider Says:
    November 1st, 2010 at 10:54 am

Br ien…

why is Cable an idiot?
    ————————
    4eva
    why is MR an idiot?

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3ng4yHw2xk&feature=PlayList&p=E565EF0DE2F587FA&playnext= Raider75

from twitter…

“If the fans come out and we can sell out a damn game, I’ll talk to the media. Until then…I need full fan support.”-McClain (via Paul G)

• daraider09

Did anyone notice that our run game didnt break through until Red Bryant got hurt? I was listening to sirius NFL radio all week and that is the guy everyone was saying is the key to their run defense. I am glad to see we stuck with it and didnt abandon the run when it wasnt working too well in the first 1.5 quarters or so, maybe even they whole first half?

I think in the past we would give lip service to being committed to the run but abandoned it too easily when it didnt work to start the game. I think that’s a credit to Hue Jackson. I am soo happy to see some real success. It has been such a long time coming, but here are my thoughts on the upcoming TEST against 1st place KC.

DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THIS TEAM! Part of the reason for the past 2 weeks success is because we have shut down the run and have been able to pin our ears back and rush the passer. Realistically, these were 2 average or below average (in Denver’s case) rushing teams, relatively speaking.

This next test against KC is the ultimate test for our run defense. We have not blown out a team that can rush. IF we can slow down KC’s run, which averages 196 YPG, which is off the charts, then we have arrived. That is why I am still concerned. Rush defense is our achilles heel, so I need to see us shut down a premium rushing team. IF we do, I will completely believe in this team.

Seattle was a nice team, but not a truely dominant one in any phase besides special teams, coming into yesterday.

I would LOVE to beat the Chefs!!!

Its going to take another great performance by the front 4 and RoMac to be successful. I hope this is a lockdown week in practice. Details, detaild, details and dont take anything for granted. Jamaal Chuck and Tom Jones are no joke. They scare me a little. Plus the fact that KC has been winning close games almost every time.

I was so pissed they iced the Buffalo kicker yesterday and it worked to perfection, exactly like Jano in denver 3 season ago. Anyways, just had to get all this off my chest. I have thousands of other thoughts, but this is good for now.

• J Hill

——————————————————

So many of us have been calling for that type of start from DHB!

Good job Hue!

Way to get him the flow early with some easy stuff.

• Bauce 4 Real

NFL better be worried….we gonna be at full strength soon