Jackson on QBs

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Thursday, November 4th, 2010 at 12:16 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Here’s how Hue Jackson responded when questioned about why the Raiders would be sticking with Bruce Gradkowski as the starter when Jason Campbell has led the club to more than, 1,000-yards of offense in the last two games with quarterback ratings over 120:

“Jason’s done well. Obviously, as Tom said, nothing’s been decided for this week. I live in the moment. My job is to make sure we’re ready to play this week, and until a decision is made on Friday, which it hasn’t been right night, I’ll worry about that when that time comes. I know Jason’s out here practicing. I know Bruce is out here practicing. The most important thing is that we put the guy that will give us the best chance to win.

“I hear everything that’s been said, but my biggest thing is we’re going to go play, and somebody’s going to be under center come Sunday. And obviously Jason’s done a tremendous job. Bruce is working. I think he’d be the first to tell you – he’s working hard every day – he’s not exactly where he wants to be, but we’ve still got a few more days to see where we get to.”

In other words, it’s a non-issue and will be treated as such until Gradkowski is physically ready to play.

A couple of more Jackson observations about the quarterbacks:

Q: Is there any risk to making a quarterback change now?

Jackson: There’s risk in anything you do. Obviously, any time a guy has had success and all of a sudden someone comes in, there’s always that period of adjustment. We’ve had that. I’m not going to say it’s an adjustment that we can’t overcome if that’s the decision that’s made. But I also know that there is an adjustment period to anything you do in that situation. But if it is him and he goes and plays, he’ll play well. If it’s Jason, I expect him to play well.

Q: Can Bruce make all the throws he needs to make?

Jackson: I think he’s working toward that. I think he’ll tell you he’s not exactly there, but he’s throwing, and I think that’s the most important thing. The balls’ coming out of his hand, he’s hitting receivers, and I think he’s feeling much more comfortable than what he did a week ago.

No sign of Nnamdi Asomugha or Zach Miller in the locker room. It’s not unusual for injured players to stay out of view of the media.

The Raiders should make a ticket announcement later this afternoon regarding ticket sales and if the local television blackout will be lifted. They could also announce an extension _ which in most cases mean there will be an announcement of a sellout the following day.

More to come later following the media practice window . . .

• DMAC

PRIMERO

• PurpleDrank81

So JC is starting

• DMAC

Mom in Spain happy that her 10-year-old gave birth.
    WTF?

• DaTruth91

second….play Campbell and dont mess up a good thing

• I am Spartacus

JC will probably start this weekend with Bruce as the No. 2. In the last two weeks, JC has been competent but has not faced any adversity.

• jano11

Campbell has earned the job back. I think Cable should give him the nod until he f’s up. If Grads goes in & is playing bad, how long until he gets pulled? It makes it easier if they just leave JC in & see what happens.

• DMAC

Later peoples!
    Go A’s!
    Go DUBS!
    GO Cal Bears!
    Go Fremont High Tigers!
    Go Raiders!

• http://tobeornottobethatisthequestion.net St. Jimmy

Bring Donald Hollas is for a workout, what could it hurt?

• Just Fire Baby

**************************************

Doesn’t sound like Hue is involved in the decision making process.

• http://tobeornottobethatisthequestion.net St. Jimmy

Just Fire Baby Says:
    November 4th, 2010 at 12:37 pm

**************************************

Doesn’t sound like Hue is involved in the decision making process.

——————

Are you serious dude? That one sentance gives you that impression? Wow…

• aig-raiders

5.I am Spartacus Says:
    November 4th, 2010 at 12:23 pm

————————-

This is exactly why I am not sold yet. I know the JC guys have asked me to back him up but I am waiting for adversity. It’s much easier to throw when you are up 21-0. In the last 2 weeks, the D only allowed 17 combined points while scoring 7 and getting many turnovers. DMAC and the line have also played tremendous. I’m a fair guy and will root for JC when he carries the day for us. He has not had a chance the past 2 weeks to prove himself under adversity.

• http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=eb53t3&s=5&hid=3&tag=my+pool Lynn from Snot

I think Campbell starts and if he struggles they bring in Gradkowski.

• Just Fire Baby

Jimmy,

Just messing around a little……..

You would HOPE the OC is involved, but Cable and Hue speak in such vaguity that you never can tell from what they say.

• I am Spartacus

The key is to stay on the offensive from beginning to end. Can’t allow the score to take our running game out of the equation. I’m still not confident that JC can lead a fourth quarter comeback. We got a lot of uncharacteristically good bounces the last two games.

• aig-raiders

We’re not going to be shutting everyone down and running them over like Den and Sea so JC will be tested very soon.

• I am Spartacus

A sellout can bring a lot of cheers or a lot of boos. If we get off to a bad start, there will be a lot of “Bruce” chants. We’ll see how JC responds to adversity.

• Violent Hands

I aint forgetting the statement that came out when JC first got benched… so as long as he keeps performing and winning he will start

• HairyBush

yo

• Chris in NY

Campbell has played pretty good the last couple of weeks but hasn’t been put in a spot where he had to make things happen and carry the team. We’ve been running for 300 yards and obliterating opposing offenses. It has made things easy for Campbell and he has done his part in managing those games.

But the only big-time, money throw I recall off the top of my head by Campbell was on the 4th-down slant TD to Reece last week.

But if we have to really rely on him to do the heavy lifting we could see a repeat of the SF game.

• RaiderReggie

I am a Bruce Gradkowski backer because I like his tenacity. However, I am telling all of you, that if the Raiders make a move to start Bruce and he fails, trouble will be on the horizon. The other players will be wondering why a change was made when there was no need to. If Jason start floundering, then bring in Bruce and the players will understand. Tom Cable will have a divided locker room if starting Bruce does not work. PERIOD!

• I am Spartacus

We’ll see Bruce back in the lineup soon – either as the starter after the bye week when he’s fully healthy, or in relief of JC if he struggles this Sunday.

• RaiderDebo

I asked this question last week and nobody answered. Have we ever led at halftime of any game Bruise has started? Do we really want to have to come from behind against the Chiefs with that running game? Can’t believe this is even being discussed. Cable is no genius, but one thing we know is that he’ll do ANYTHING to keep his job (including throwing our 2007 #1 pick under the bus). Starting Bruise would be suicide.

• JLofty

HueJ!!!! I can understand why Hue and TC like Grads, he plays with that burning fire on every play like the coaches like. Campbell is competent but doesn’t bring that play “like your house is burning to the ground” intensity that HueJ has.
    That said, I’d play Campbell this week. Can always bring in Grads to light a fire if needed.
    Hope not. I hope the boys bring it often and hard.
    Go Raiders!!!! Nice work Nation for getting it done with ticket sales. I am still hoping to sneak into Cali for a party at the Coli.

• RaiderDebo

I Am Spartacus Says:
    November 4th, 2010 at 12:47 pm
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

How many “uncharacteristically good bounces” did we get against Arizona?? And we lost!

• JLofty

Debo: “throwing our 2007 #1 pick under the bus”?!?!?!
    You are kidding right? JaMayonnaise couldn’t even FIT under the bus last year.

• LA to TheBay

A couple of more Jackson observations about the quarterbacks:

Q: Is there any risk to making a quarterback change now?

A: Of course, stupid. You wanna tussle?

Q: Can Bruce make all the throws he needs to make?

A: He’ll throw a left hook upside your head.

• LA to TheBay

JLofty Says:
    November 4th, 2010 at 1:21 pm
    Debo: “throwing our 2007 #1 pick under the bus”?!?!?!
    You are kidding right? JaMayonnaise couldn’t even FIT under the bus last year.

—————-

There’s no point. Debo’s a Russell fan, not a Raider fan. Because JaMarshmallow Truffle has no team, this is the only available place for him to go.

Being as how the Redskins kicked his tires (and got their foot stuck), he should just find a Redskin blog.

• Just Fire Baby

Has Bruce ever had a game where his defense didn’t give up at least 10 points by halftime?

I say this not on a bash of Campbell, but man it is easier to get a good rhythm going when your D is getting turnovers and a short field.

All of Bruce’s starts, even last year, the first half our D is getting manhandled.

• aig-raiders

We go good bounces against AZ. We gave up 7 points as soon as the game started.

In regards to leading at hafltime, that depends a lot on what the D and spec team is doing as well.

But to answer your question,we were up 20-17 at teh half against the Cards. We scored 14 points at the half and tied against the Texans. In the past 2 weeks, our D gave up a net 10 points in 2 games. I’m not even counting the fumbles recovered. Name me 1 QB in the league that would have lost with those numbers.

You can’t just look at it in a general view and say oh JC was great in the past 2 weeks. That’s like saying Tom Cable was a genius in the past 2 weeks since his team demolished the other teams. Are you willing to say TC was a genius too?

• Oakland_raiders

24 hour extension on the sell out, must be close.

• RaiderDebo

JLofty Says:
    November 4th, 2010 at 1:21 pm
    Debo: “throwing our 2007 #1 pick under the bus”?!?!?!
    You are kidding right? JaMayonnaise couldn’t even FIT under the bus last year.
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Not kidding at all. I’ve never heard a coach, and I doubt I ever will again, lay the blame for a failed season at the feet of one player. Especially a coach that was a schitty OC and brought distractions to the team with the Randy Hanson incident and the revelations about how he treated his former wife and girlfriend. And the bottom line is it wasn’t true. Last year’s team had a ton of issues.

• 8RaiderReign8

The analysis that Campbell has not faced adversity is on target. The Den and Sea game were “easy” for a QB. Remember that through 3 qrts the score was 13-0. 13 points at the end of the third in the KC game will be problematic.

• RaiderDebo

To all the Bruise worshippers,

According to you guys JC wasn’t responsible for the SD, Den and Seattle wins, but he was totally to blame for the for the losses to TN and SF. Who gets the credit for the STL game and the blame for the losses to Arizona and Houston?

• Dhidee99