Cable says QB is his call

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Wednesday, November 10th, 2010 at 12:24 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Responding to a Bay Area News Group story which said owner Al Davis has made his preference known for Jason Campbell as the Raiders quarterback, Raiders coach Tom Cable said the decision will be his.

“This organization, regardless of what’s written or what’s said, or what some unnamed source, or whatever that is, says, is run by the owner and it’s coached by the coach,” Cable said Wednesday after the team’s last bye week practice.

“As it pertains to this football team, the decisions that go on with players, they’re going to be made by me. I made that clear since Day One. And that’s the way we do business. And, obviously, it’s working.”

A week after saying Bruce Gradkowski would be the starter when healthy, saying, “We know who our quarterback is,” Cable reversed field and said he would be inclined to go with the hot hand. Campbell has won the last three games as the Raiders’ starter.

Gradkowski said he had his best workout since injuring his shoulder Oct. 10 against San Diego and is ready for anything.

“I always feel like I’m the ace in the hole. I’m the X-factor. You want to be the starter,” Gradkowski said. “You want to be the starter for the organization. You want to be that leader and take advantage of that. But also if that’s what you’re dealt with that’s what you have to do. If you have to come off the bench you have to prepare as the starter and be ready. Like I said, whatever it is I’ll be ready and we’ll see what happens.”

Cable, Gradkowski said, hasn’t informed the quarterbacks of anything.

“Coach will sit us down and talk to us. He tells it like it is,” Gradkowski said. “He’ll be straight up with us. That’s what we respect about him. When the times comes we will sit down and talk. There’s never anything being hidden from us. Like I said, I haven’t proved to him yet that I can do everything yet. Today was the best day so we’ll go from there.”

More to come . . .

Bruce Gradkowski gets all the credit for the Raiders being 5-4 right now.

If he didn’t get hurt theres no way we would have won 4 out of the last 5 games !!!

• Bauce 2 Dope

# mistic1 Says:
    November 10th, 2010 at 2:06 pm

# St. Jimmy Says:
    November 10th, 2010 at 2:00 pm

mistic1 Says:
    November 10th, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Taking 36 sacks in that system means your o-line is struggling big time.

—————————————-

Or your QB was Jason Campbell.
    =======================================================

Campbells 2008 season 315 of 506 62% completion, 3,245 yds 13td 6ints. Qb rating 84.

These are very respectable numbers, obviously the reason for the 8-8 finish cant be placed solely at his feet.
    *************************

As ive always said…..Washington is biggest circus act in NFL since Snyder came along…..big time rosters have netted nada

• DMAC

# Bo Schembechler Jackson Says:
    November 10th, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Bauce 2 Dope Says:
    November 10th, 2010 at 1:59 pm
    # Bo Schembechler Jackson Says:
    November 10th, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Brien, you get out for the Mehserle protest?
    *************************

For what?

::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Justice, man! Actually just wondered if u had first hand stories…
    ==========
    3rd fatal shooting this year by OPD yesterday

• Bauce 2 Dope

Bauce 2 Dope Says:
    November 10th, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Blog first half awards……………

Best poster is Raider Dell by far

Hardcore smack talker is MistaBrown

Comedian is Bo with St Jimmy is close second

Most surprising is Mistic1

Most disappointing is AIG….guy is looking forward to Pitt game because he believes we will lose….who looks forward to a loss? A selfish agenda having loser

Dumbest blogger goes to Fat Kidd

Podunker is RRS

Mr. Rue the day…..Dakota

Sorry ass Giant fan award goes to VegasRaider

Badass of the blog….NORCO BOB

Defensive MVP…..SnB

Special Teams award…..Thec07….see Ford again

MVP of blog is the Bauce for his vote of confidence to Jason Campbell at Kincaid’s not long before SD game. Since then JC has took back his starting position and team has won 4 of 5 heading into needed bye week*
    **********************************

Forgot one big award…….

East Coast King of blog…….Chris in NY

• Bauce 2 Dope

# DMAC Says:
    November 10th, 2010 at 2:16 pm

# Bo Schembechler Jackson Says:
    November 10th, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Bauce 2 Dope Says:
    November 10th, 2010 at 1:59 pm
    # Bo Schembechler Jackson Says:
    November 10th, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Brien, you get out for the Mehserle protest?
    *************************

For what?

::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Justice, man! Actually just wondered if u had first hand stories…
    ==========
    3rd fatal shooting this year by OPD yesterday
    ******************************

No need to discuss it

• Bauce 2 Dope

# RaiderRockstar Says:
    November 10th, 2010 at 2:09 pm

You must really hate Pitt. I have respect for them. I think they are a tough team. They won even though their starting qB didnt play for a bunch of games. Leave it at that.

Pitt is good. Polamalu truthfully should be up for MVP of the league. They’re obviously a totally different team with him out there…..

How the heck do we block Troy Polamahu and James Harrison.

***

Raider fans read the Pittsburgh Post Gazette ???
    ***********************************

It is better than those sleeping pills because Pitt is just boring period

• RAIDERindallas

I have read a lot of comments from you guys on this site. Most of it is legit comming from concerned Oakland Raider fans who want the team to do better. But a lot of you are haters and fakers and are on here just for hell of it. One guy in particular that stands out is, “aig-raiders”. You are a cancer that needs to be removed or joined with some other team site. You’re no RAIDER FAN! I BLEED SILVER AND BLACK! I go back to the Madden years so I’ve been around for awhile now. If you dont feel we can beat the Steelers or anyone else why are you even on here? Take you ass somewhere else! WE dont need fakers like you on here!

• JLofty

Raiders-SuperBowl. There I said it.

• DMAC

# Bauce 2 Dope Says:
    November 10th, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Blog first half awards……………

Best poster is Raider Dell by far

Sorry ass Giant fan award goes to VegasRaider

Badass of the blog….NORCO BOB

Defensive MVP…..SnB

Special Teams award…..Thec07….see Ford again

===========
    B,
    No honorable mentions for me?
    FK! (I need to step my semi-blogger skills up)

• http://tobeornottobethatisthequestion.net St. Jimmy

Bauce 2 Dope Says:
    November 10th, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Blog first half awards……………

Comedian is Bo with St Jimmy is close second
    —————————————————–

Wow, what an honor. What does one say? I am truly blessed an honored to be on such a distinguished list.

I would like to thank Carly Fiorina, for creating such a magnificent and responsive keyboard that provided me the ability to type with extreme comfort.

I would like to thank by brain, for simply having the wit and know how to make others laugh.

I would like to thank 5 Hour Energy, for giving the necessary energy to be on this blog for hours on end without drooling on my keyboard.

I would also like to thank the makers of the compressed air “Dust Off” for keeping my keyboard clean by removing food, boogers, and nail clippings from preventing my keyboard from operating. And, for giving me a cheap high.

Last but not least I would lake to thank God, without him, I am nothing.

Thank you.

JCamp’s play for the Redskins or Auburn means about as much as McClain’s play at Alabama or DHB’s play at Maryland … NADA!

• Bauce 2 Dope

Bauce Ba Ba Ba Bauce Ba Ba Ba Bauce

• mistic1

# RAIDERindallas Says:
    November 10th, 2010 at 2:18 pm

===========================================================

Worth a repost

• Bauce 2 Dope

# DMAC Says:
    November 10th, 2010 at 2:19 pm

# Bauce 2 Dope Says:
    November 10th, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Blog first half awards……………

Best poster is Raider Dell by far

Sorry ass Giant fan award goes to VegasRaider

Badass of the blog….NORCO BOB

Defensive MVP…..SnB

Special Teams award…..Thec07….see Ford again

===========
    B,
    No honorable mentions for me?
    FK! (I need to step my semi-blogger skills up)
    ***************************

What an idiot I am!!!! How could I forget?

East Bay repper is DMAC

Thousand apologies for that one

• OG-RAIDERRR

Bruce Gradkowski gets all the credit for the Raiders being 5-4 right now.

I agree RR !

• DMAC

It’s all good in the hood!
    I’m the sleeper in the semi-blogger world.
    Holla!

• Bauce 2 Dope

I’m also forgetting

King of the South Bay….408Raider

King of the North Bay……707raiders

and how can I forget…..

King of the 775 area code RNOraider

• mistic1

# RaiderRockstar Says:
    November 10th, 2010 at 2:19 pm

============================================================
    i agree in part, I do think you can look at a qb and his overall body of work to get a sense of what kind of player he is. That info however is limited in usefulness, all though you can identify patterns and tendencies, it may not project into the future in the same manner.

• DMAC

New post

Pitt is just boring period

***

half of these Raider fans picked up the Squeelers as a 2nd favorite team, it appears

• DutchRaider77

# RaiderReggie Says:
    November 10th, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Here are the career numbers on Jason and Bruce: Jason came into the NFL in 2005 and Bruce in 2006. You do the math.

Jason Campbell:
    Passing: 60.8%
    12,112 yards;
    62 Touchdowns;
    43 Interceptions;
    *************************
    Bruce Gradkowski:
    Passing: 53.2%
    3,533 yards;
    19 touchdowns;
    20 Interceptions;
    ==========================================================

I have posted this several times, makes no difference some people simply have a strange hate for jc.

____________________________________________________

C’Mon Gradkowski has 16 starts in his carrer, Cambpell has 52. Nine of which was Grads rookie season. I see you failed to list the fumble category? Campbell problem in turnovers in Washington was not INTs, but fumbles. 41 Fumbles to Gradkowski’s 19.

I am happy we traded for Campbell and thought it was a great move. I support him being the starting QB now and when Grads is healthy, but stop listing misleading stats!

• RAIDERDAVE68

Please Mistic get off Campbells jock strap he clearly isnt that good. I clearly understand you feel you have to support him. Wrong qb to lead this team, doesnt have the guts.You must of missed the games with his wimpy slides 10 yds away from the defenders,costing us 1st downs.

• Pingback: Cable Makes It Clear He’s In Charge In Oakland | Sports Journey

• sirblitzalot

K.C. Chiefs are the N.E. Patriots, in Red and White uniforms. They stole their GM, OC, DC and 2nd string QB. Their defense and offense are respectable (now). They need to stop trying to be a the “poor man’s N.E. Patriots” and develop their OWN identity. Point being they have a lot of great athletes on that team and we prevailed so screw all you naysayers.

As far as JC and BG, who cares. BG went blow for blow, down to the last possesion, with Rothlesburger and he got the lost knock down and won by decision! Those type of idiosyncratic games leave an indelible mark. If JC can’t get it done in the first 3/4, let Bruuuuce win it in the forth! Our defense isn’t exactly chopped liver, you know? JUST WIN BABY!!!

• Pingback: Cable Makes It Clear He’s In Charge In Oakland | Sports Journey Broadcast Network | Serious sports talk for the serious fan

• UCSBPreMedMike

I just think if you need/have your team talk you up to not give up, and you’re the QB…that’s an issue. The QB should ALWAYS be the optimistic one and talking up the team in practice, on the sidelines, huddle, and at the line. In my book that’s a required leadership quality.