Campbell takes starting job in stride

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Wednesday, November 17th, 2010 at 2:49 pm in Oakland Raiders.

If Jason Campbell was surprised, gratified or felt validated by being named to start at quarterback Sunday against Pittsburgh, he did a good job hiding it.

Campbell handled the situation much as he did when coach Tom Cable said for two consecutive weeks that Bruce Gradkowski would be the starter _ by avoiding any appearance of public debate.

“My mindset was always to keep pushing forward, keep taking each game one game at a time and prepare yourself each and every day to go out and win,’’ Campbell said Wednesday. “It’s no different now. You still have to go out there and prepare yourself to go out and play hard and win a game.’’
Asked if it felt good that Cable said he had “earned it,’’ Campbell said, “ Yeah. Because nothing’s given to you in this league, nothing’s given to you in life. To earn something makes you appreciate it more.

“At the same time it makes you work even harder because you want to keep it going and you want to stay on top of what you’re doing.”

— Cornerback Stanford Routt will find himself flying blind at some point against the Steelers, playing man-to-man coverage on a wide receiver with his back to the quarterback and not having any idea if Ben Roethlisberger is in the pocket or breaking outside looking to make a play.

Roethlisberger is at his best while improvising. A stat flashed on the screen during the Monday night telecast against New England said Roethlisberger’s quarterback rating was 137.0 on plays outside of the pocket.

In a zone coverage, defensive backs are often playing with their face to the quarterback. Not so in man-to-man.

“It definitely makes your job tougher, but that’s what football is,’’ Routt said. “You’ve got to overcome disadvantages and make it happen.’’

Even when defensive backs catch a glimpse of Roethlisberger, there are other problems to deal with.

“He’s probably the best pump-faker in the league. He’s so big he can palm the ball in one hand and pump it all the way like, full throwing motion. Whenever you’re going against a quarterback like that, it definitely makes the receivers more effective, because anytime you can get someone to, like Michael Vick with his feet or Ben Roethlisberger with his size and pump-faking ability, anyone who can prolong the play, that gives his receivers more time to get open, run around, this that and the other. It makes a cornerback’s job tough.’’

— Cable said Monday he thought last year’s win in Pittsburgh was significant in that this year’s players have already gone to Heinz Field and had some success.

Defensive tackle Richard Seymour isn’t so sure.

“What happened last year really has no bearing on this year. What happened last week really has no bearing on what we will go out and do this week,’’ Seymour said. “You obviously want to play with momentum, but each game is its own different ballgame, and different matchups, what we’re trying to do offensively, defensively, special teams, that plays a big factor.

“It’s an important time for this football team. If we want to end up where we want to be and take care of our first goal, which is winning our division, we have to get better as the year moves on. We can’t be the same team in October that your are moving forward in the year. If you stay the same, teams will continue to get better and you’ll end up getting beat.’’

— Cornerback Walter McFadden is resisting the urge to engage in trash talk with his older brother Bryant, a starting cornerback for the Steelers.

“I’m just going to keep it quiet,’’ McFadden said. “Since he has the bigger things, with two Super Bowls and everything, he has a lot of trash that he can talk. I’m just going to be quiet and let us come in their silently, like a silent storm, and just erupt.”

Ordinarily, the McFaddens commuciate regularly through text messages.

“We text every day. By him being in the league for (six) years so far, he just keeps my head on, especially when I was going through my injury, when it was going down on me,’’ Walter McFadden said. “He just kept me up. Speaking to other guys in the locker room like Nnamdi and Michael Huff, they just kept my head going in the right direction. Having him being through an injury himself kind of just helped me out with everything.”

Walter McFadden said the hamstring injury which has sidelined him for much of the season was a partial tear. In the meantime, Jeremy Ware, a seventh-round pick, has ascended to the nickel back position in games where cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha doesn’t play.

More to come after Tom Cable briefs the media following practice . . .

• Bauce 2 Dope

# RaiderLen Says:
    November 17th, 2010 at 3:23 pm

A.B. Paine III Says:
    November 17th, 2010 at 3:21 pm
    Len, buy me a ticket too. I’ll whip all your asses!
    ——————-
    Get your ass to the Coli,

I’ll spring for a ticket.
    ***************************************

AB Lame and MR are same person…but watch the lie as if we are really fooled. Punk wont show up

• priesttj

I think Campbell knows what time it is, he has to take charge and lead this team if they are going anywhere. He cannot take a step backwards. He is keeping his head down and grinding to complete what he thought was supposed to happen but he was ill prepared to get the job done.

This time it’s different he knows it’s winning time he has a very good team and lots of expectations to meet. He hs to be sharp and exacting. He’s got to get whatever talent he has on full display or else.

• http://www.aldavissucks.blogspot.com The Real MaddenRaider

And talking about excuses, Brien, remember when you wouldn’t meet me in Concord because, as you put it, the police would harass you because of your race? I see black people in Concord all of the time, Brien. You would only meet me at the coliseum parking lot. Naturally, because you’d have hundreds of people backing you up.

• Bauce 2 Dope

# RaiderLen Says:
    November 17th, 2010 at 3:24 pm

The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    November 17th, 2010 at 3:22 pm
    What was my bluff, Len? You were arguing with me, and losing, as usual, then you cry to brien for help. There was no bluff. Just me calling it like it is.
    ————————-
    Wrong again.

Come on RMR.

Let’s support the Raiders together on Nov 28th.

My dime. Your time.
    *****************************

LOL the bow down part of the show will start now

• RaiderLen

A.B. Paine III Says:
    November 17th, 2010 at 3:24 pm
    Len, can you buy me an airplane ticket too?
    —————
    Sorry

• http://www.aldavissucks.blogspot.com The Real MaddenRaider

# Bauce 2 Dope Says:
    November 17th, 2010 at 3:24 pm

something real heavy was in that car

……………

Wow. You must have been pretty scared of me to need a gun. LOL.

• Bauce 2 Dope

Hey Len funny thing is I also gave MR an option to go to Berkeley or Richmond and still wouldnt take it

• http://www.aldavissucks.blogspot.com The Real MaddenRaider

Len, give me your email address and we’ll talk about it.

• Bauce 2 Dope

Len this is the same b_tch that will support the 49ers stadium but not come to the Coliseum

• http://www.aldavissucks.blogspot.com The Real MaddenRaider

I only recall you agreeing to meet at the coliseum. You never said Berkeley or Richmond. And, of course nobody’s going to Richmond, for obvious reasons. Nobody’s trying to go into some hood they don’t know to get killed, Brien. That’s why I said Concord. Because it’s middle class and safe, and there are a lot of black people there. It’s not the south, Brien.

• priesttj

Bauce easy careful what you say and do, it will all be used against you.

Ease up young blood

• Bauce 2 Dope

Len dont worry bout MR lol…..she welches on bets and is scared to leave the confines of mama’s basement….the punk will never show up

• http://raiders.com A.B. Paine III

Bauce, next Monday, I will be in the McDonalds parking lot at 2800 N. Milwaukee, in Chicago. Meet me there so I can kick your ass p*ssy.

• RaiderLen

The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    November 17th, 2010 at 3:28 pm
    Len, give me your email address and we’ll talk about it.
    ——————
    I only use 1 email address. It’s not for public consumption.

Give me a name. I’ll leave the ticket at will call.

I take BART to the games. I’ll wear I big name tag.

You can meet me on the bridge.

• Bauce 2 Dope

# priesttj Says:
    November 17th, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Bauce easy careful what you say and do, it will all be used against you.

Ease up young blood
    *****************************

Alright OG….I got ya but ya know this punk here runs the trap too much and dont know who he is fuggin with….i’ll dispose of the body and no one and I mean no one will find it

• RaiderLen

Bauce 2 Dope Says:
    November 17th, 2010 at 3:31 pm
    —————————–
    I understand.

Big Mouth.

Small Sack.

• http://www.aldavissucks.blogspot.com The Real MaddenRaider

Give me your name, Len. Your real name. And we’ll take it from there. Come on now. Why in the world would I give up my name when you haven’t given up yours?

• Bauce 2 Dope

anyways I’m out…..anymore BS hit me at bauce_2010@yahoo if you aint a coward….i aint afraid of no one…never have and never will be….I even went back to beat the doctor’s ass who hit me when I was born

• Bauce 2 Dope

Yall just win…………..BAUCE!

• Plunketthead

If someone buys me a ticket, I will let them punch me in the nose

• http://www.aldavissucks.blogspot.com The Real MaddenRaider

# Bauce 2 Dope Says:
    November 17th, 2010 at 3:32 pm

i’ll dispose of the body and no one and I mean no one will find it

……………..

• RaiderLen

My 1st name is Len.

I don’t care what name you give.

I just need to tell the people at will call the name of the person claiming the ticket.

Hell, meet me on the bridge, I’ll walk you to the ticket booth and buy one then.

• RaiderChri

This is the biggest game of the year. Each week is the biggest game as long as this team continues to win. D needs to start fast with a 3 and out and a sack. Need to pound McFadden and Bush to set up Zach in the middle and Louis and Jacoby on the outside. I have a good feeling about this one. Seymour, Kelly, Houston, ShoNasty and Scott should be able to get after Large Ben all game. Need McClain and MM34 to tee off on Mendenhall. Let’s go Raidahs

• http://www.aflciodental.com/unions/IBEW.png r8eray

Vittorio Tafur of the SF Chronicle suggests that Chaz Schilens (foot, knee) “may not be back this season.”

Schilens is believed to have suffered another setback in his recovery from knee and foot surgeries, although coach Tom Cable wouldn’t come out and say it. “It’s not so much a setback, it’s responded really well when we’re on the field running straight ahead,” said Cable. “It’s just a matter of being able to cut and coming in and out of cuts. Still not very smooth yet.”

• http://www.aflciodental.com/unions/IBEW.png r8eray

While the Steelers rarely practice in full pads, coach Mike Tomlin chose to have such a workout Wednesday — an apparent response to the way they played against the Patriots.

Sitting out were safety Troy Polamalu (Achilles’) and safety Will Allen (concussion). Doing limited work were linebacker Lawrence Timmons (hip), guard Chris Kemoeatu (ankle) and defensive end Brett Keisel (hamstring).

• big pep

ifor one am glad they didnt mess with the q.b. situation. i was a bit worried that it would mess with what was working, the last 3 games. i just hope j.c. can make plays early in the game so were not in another dog fight. by the way fire the w.r. coach and cut fucn schilens broke down asss already.