Tom Cable Q&A

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Wednesday, November 17th, 2010 at 4:45 pm in Oakland Raiders.

A transcript of Raiders’ coach Tom Cable at his press briefing Wednesday following practice:

Cable: Heyward-Bey did not practice, he strained a hamstring last Tuesday at practice Schilens did not practice Zach Miller practiced limited, John Henderson practiced limited, as did Nnamdi Asomugha

Q: How much work did those three do?

Cable: It was a decent amount; hopefully it will be more Thursday, We want to kind of put them so through some things today and see how they feel Thursday. If they feel like they did at the end of practice, we’re probably going to get more and more out of them

Q: That sounds encouraging …

Cable: Very.

Q: Could you rank those three, who is the farthest from coming back?

Cable: Not really. I think they’re all about the same. They’re doing well

Q: How serious is Heyward-Bey’s injury?

Cable: It’s just sore. It’s a real slight strain, not real serious, but it’s one of those things where if you push it too much too quick, it could become serious.

Q: Did Schilens have a setback?

Cable: It’s not so much a setback, it’s responded really well when we’re on the field running straight ahead; it’s just a matter of being able to cut and coming in and out of cuts. Still not very smooth yet.

Q: What has been the impact of Hue Jackson?

Cable: He has been a big lift for us in that we’ve taken some stuff he brought from Baltimore and his past at Cincinnati and put it with what was here and he’s done a nice job meshing the whole thing together.Some of the specific things, a little more gap scheme in terms of running the football and I think his idea of throwing the ball down the field bodes well for what we’re trying to do. A lot of it is play-action. It’s been a real good fit that way.

Q: Roethlisberger very good when flushed out of the pocket, what’s the best way to defend him?

Cable: I think you have to keep him in the pocket. We’re very aware that one, escapeability, he may be as good as there is. Outside the pocket, he’s dramatically, to another level, dramatically better than most. So you want to squeeze him from all angles, whether it’s with pressure or with a four-man rush. The biggest thing is if you get your hands on him is to wrap him up. I think that’s the biggest thing. That’s the biggest thing. Very good at getting out of sacks and potential traffic. And then you stay in coverage on the back end, because that’s where he does a really good job is escaping and throwing the ball down the field.

Q: How much more difficult in that you play man, whereas on zone team might be looking at him, but in man guys can’t see him or what he’s doing?

Cable: I think as long as you plaster and stay on your man, you’re in good shape. I think it plays to our hands a little bit better because we are a man team. If you’re in zone and looking to him and he escapes and moves out you start losing people in coverage.

Q: You watched last year’s game and comeback with your team what point did that serve?

Cable: I watched it last year on Monday, but we used it as part of the breakdown to some extent. I think the importance is we were just there almost 12 months ago, that we went in there, hung in there, hung in there, and found a way to win the game. I think, when you talk about when you’re going to Pittsburgh , people want to talk about their style of play, talk about their crowd, a very football savvy group of people. Just the fact that we’ve been there, found a way to have success there and just to kind of reiterate the fact that this is another team.

Q: Players have been talking about how you connect with them. Who have been your coaching influences?

Cable: I think I’ve had a lot of good influences. My college coach was Dennis Erickson. My high school coach, Dick Armstrong. Guys who have mentored me in this league, Alex Gibbs, Steve Mariucci, Keith Gilbertson. I’ve had very good fortune in terms of who I’ve been around, and I think all those guys had one thing in common and that was they connected with the players.

Q: A lot of energy today as practice opened . . .

Cable: I think that comes with success. We’ve won a few games now and you come back from the bye, we’re healthier, we’re excited for the second half of the season. You look out there, and you all do a good job of kind of telling them where they’re at and what’s ahead of them and all that. So there is a lot of excitement, a lot of energy. We’re excited about going to Pittsburgh and the opportunity that’s ahead of it. And it just comes from finding some success.

Q: How do you address the danger of being overconfident?

Cable: I won’t let that happen. We haven’t done a damn thing, and that’s been our motto. We have got to keep grinding and fighting and going to work and cutting it loose and doing what we do. I think if I ever feel like we lose sight of that, I’ll reel them back in, but that’s not us, at least not yet.

Q: Do you feel as if you still have something to prove to people about your being a contender?

Cable: You do because we have to have that feeling. For one, we haven’t done anything yet. We have won three games in a row, we’re 5-4, we missed a kick in Arizona , we didn’t score a touchdown at San Francisco . And those two things kind of, from a coach’s standpoint, really gnaw at you because you kind of know what you’re team should be. But we’re not. So, in order to accomplish anything, we have got to keep doing our job, which is getting better.

Q:Do you sense a boost in Ford’s confidence after big game vs. KC?

Cable: Not really. I’ve kind of thought from the very beginning that Jacoby had that air about him. It was just a matter of getting him acclimated him, teaching him the system and then finding out where he fits. And what coaches do is, find out where can you use a guy and what kind of role can he have. But he’s always been a confident guy in who he is.\

Q: Can you emulate the Patriots and other teams that spread out the Steelers and beat them with the pass, or are you not built that way?

Cable: We’re really not. You hit it on the head. We have to be who we are. At the same time, you look at some of the issues that they had on Sunday night was about spreading them out and mixing them up. Where do you have that fine line between what we are and what our strengths are into trying to be something maybe a little more that way, meaning spread? At the end of the day, be who you are and you might mix in a few things.

• aig-raiders

Mistic, I knew it wouldnt take me long to get your list….lmao!!!!!

———————————————————

mistic1 Says:
    November 15th, 2010 at 11:21 am
    # Bo Schembechler Jackson Says:
    November 15th, 2010 at 11:04 am

all fire, more sizzle

not a high wire type act

a poker faced silent leader

blow your doors off

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Mistic, lay off the metaphors! That was from one small post!

# LA to TheBay Says:
    November 15th, 2010 at 11:04 am

Campbell is more of a poker faced silent leader. He is not a high wire type act, but instead a well schooled technician and excellent managing the game and making plays when you need them.

—————

A cold, calculating Field General with unmatched prowess and an unbelievable winning record, passed over by Pro Bowl selection do to bias against his Greatness and cat-like reflexes by haters who will quiver and be reduced to ash as they are laid to waste by his WRATH!!!!!!!!
    ==========================================================

————————————————————–

• LA to TheBay

Bo Schembechler Jackson Says:
    November 18th, 2010 at 11:39 am
    Relapse. Dr. Bo the Street Pharmasist Returns.

:::::::::::::::::::::

Followed soon by the life-altering realization that LA County cramped my personal style.

————–

I always looked at it like I could make some new friends, work out… catch up on my reading. Maybe even get a tattoo.

Dakota Says:
    November 18th, 2010 at 11:29 am
    Man this Dexter show is great! Netflix watch instantly rules!

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Can you watch it on the whole wall of old TVs at the shop?

• http://www.aflciodental.com/unions/IBEW.png r8eray

BSPN has us in their Power Rankings as 12th overall!!

• bcz24

Moonshine? Is that supposed to be some witty retort alluding to me being a redneck? I live in New York buddy, and I have never seen, let alone sampled moonshine.

• aig-raiders

Bo,

I got huge respect for the Corp. Never served though. Were you in the first gulf war? Sounds like you were in artillery?

• DMAC

# LA to TheBay Says:
    November 18th, 2010 at 11:43 am

Bo Schembechler Jackson Says:
    November 18th, 2010 at 11:39 am
    Relapse. Dr. Bo the Street Pharmasist Returns.

:::::::::::::::::::::

————–

===========
    Tatoo? What about a big DHB tatted across your stomach?

• aig-raiders

Bo,

I bet you wished you had these redbull/hi caffeine drinks back then huh?

• http://www.aflciodental.com/unions/IBEW.png r8eray

Oakland coach Tom Cable reportedly wouldn’t go on Showtime’s “Inside the NFL” because he didn’t want to go on the show with former Raider Warren Sapp. Sapp has been very critical of Cable and the Raiders in the past. It’s Cable’s right to not want to talk someone.

• http://www.aflciodental.com/unions/IBEW.png r8eray

Oakland running back Darren McFadden believes the Raiders aren’t be taken seriously enough after its 5-4 start. If the Raiders can beat Pittsburgh on Sunday, that perception could change. Meanwhile, the Football Outsiders have some statistical keys to the Raiders’ game at Pittsburgh.

• mistic1

aig-raiders Says:
    November 18th, 2010 at 11:43 am

Mistic, I knew it wouldnt take me long to get your list….lmao!!!!!

==========================================================
    I didnt write this

• http://www.tedhendricks.com/Ted_vs_Montana.jpg BigTed707

I agree with armchair that J-camps accuracy needs work, and would add that he is too late on his timing in the pocket.
    Hopefully he’s feeling some heat now that Grads is back to 100%, and he responds with hard work and increased effort.

aig-raiders Says:
    November 18th, 2010 at 11:46 am
    Bo,

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Yep I aimed the 155mm guns and got out just before the Gulf mess. Glad I didn’t have to breathe the sh!t that fked up so many others…

• DMAC

LA to TheBay,
    So did you think about it?

• aig-raiders

Mistic,

Are you going to tell me you didnt write this….

“Dont be upset fellas, my boys in college and the pros are , had a huge weekend. The folks that say I dont know qb talent, my favorite players, and my favorite team is pissing on their pillow case, and i love it.

David Garrard, Cam Newton, Campbell Smith, ill take any one of these dudes in silver and black in a heart beat. These cats get it done.”

• DKnight007

445.Macho Man Randy Savage Says:
    November 18th, 2010 at 10:35 am
    Spread them out with Ford, Murphy, Z.Miller and Dmac, sprinkle some N.Miller. Play Bush at HB…The pass will set up the run, these are the Steelers.

^^^^^^^
    Agreed….but I would also like to see more Wildcat and Pistol formations and Campbell roll out of the pocket more away from pressure.

Have to keep that Steeler defense off balance. Use DMC more as WR also in the slot and use double TE sets with Miller and Myers and Reece needs to be put in the slot also and used as more of an H back.

The offensive scheme and formations need to be MIXED up all game long to keep the Pitt defense off balance!

• mistic1

aig-raiders Says:
    November 18th, 2010 at 11:43 am

Mistic, I knew it wouldnt take me long to get your list….lmao!!!!!
    =======================================================

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Wrong again AIG,

I listed some of my favorite players in response to being ripped for my opinions on how they play.

This is not nor hav i ever posted a list of “my favorite nfl qb’s”

• http://blackhillsphoto.com/sturgis-weddings/black-hills-weddings.jpg Dakota

550.bcz24 Says:
    November 18th, 2010 at 11:42 am
    Dakota Says:
    November 18th, 2010 at 11:29 am
    Man this Dexter show is great! Netflix watch instantly rules!
    ****
    Which season are you on Dakota? That show is fantastic!

______________

Season 1, episode 10

• LA to TheBay

DMAC,

Only if he is converted to a shutdown CB and single-handedly wins us a Super Bowl. Then, yes.

• http://blackhillsphoto.com/sturgis-weddings/black-hills-weddings.jpg Dakota

553.Bo Schembechler Jackson Says:
    November 18th, 2010 at 11:44 am
    Dakota Says:
    November 18th, 2010 at 11:29 am
    Man this Dexter show is great! Netflix watch instantly rules!

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Can you watch it on the whole wall of old TVs at the shop?
    ____________________________

No, just on one old black and whit Magnavox!

• aig-raiders

my buddy was a GI doing those mobile tracked arty and he had to drive the ammo track during the first gulf. They stayed up for so many hours that he recently admitted he fell asleep at the wheels during the border crossing. They lost their convoy and somehow found them again. They were too scared to call the XO. crazy shcytt.

• mistic1

# bcz24 Says:
    November 18th, 2010 at 11:45 am

============================================================

it alludes to your pathetic inability to see beyond race. new york or not, you have still embarrassed yourself.

• DMAC

Cool

• LA to TheBay

mistic1 Says:
    November 18th, 2010 at 11:53 am
    aig-raiders Says:
    November 18th, 2010 at 11:43 am

Mistic, I knew it wouldnt take me long to get your list….lmao!!!!!

==========================================================
    I didnt write this

————————-

No that was me, I think AIG is addressing your response to that. With your boys and the pillow-pissing and such.

• PurpleDrank81

Garrard is weak

• aig-raiders

Bo,

You’re a lib right? How the heck did you end up in the corp?

• mistic1

# LA to TheBay Says:
    November 18th, 2010 at 11:59 am

mistic1 Says:
    November 18th, 2010 at 11:53 am
    aig-raiders Says:
    November 18th, 2010 at 11:43 am

Mistic, I knew it wouldnt take me long to get your list….lmao!!!!!

==========================================================
    I didnt write this

————————-

==========================================================

L.A

That is a decent impersonation of my writing style, but its a little over the top.

• OG-RAIDERRR

List of favorite QB’s

1.Jamarcus Russell
    2. Ryan Leaf
    3. Tim Couch
    4. Akili Smith

• http://www.tedhendricks.com/Ted_vs_Montana.jpg BigTed707

Dakota Says:
    November 18th, 2010 at 11:57 am
    550.bcz24 Says:
    November 18th, 2010 at 11:42 am
    Dakota Says:
    November 18th, 2010 at 11:29 am
    Man this Dexter show is great! Netflix watch instantly rules!
    ****
    Which season are you on Dakota? That show is fantastic!

______________

Season 1, episode 10
    ———————————-
    Nice! Im on Season 3, Disc 4 ;)

• RedneckRaider

No news = good news today?

• aig-raiders

At least Jamarcus Russel did carry the Raiders to 2 wins over Tampa and Houston in 2008.

• aig-raiders

Redneck,

Have you ever stopped by Clicks for a Raider game? I leanred that you get a 10% discount at Wilks Dugout if you get your Raider card at Clicks.

• mistic1

# PurpleDrank81 Says:
    November 18th, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Garrard is weak
    ===========================================================
    15td’s 7ints 1440 yds, 104.9 rating 69.4 completion percentage. plus 131 yds rushing and 2 tds.

This is weak?

• RedneckRaider

Aig- Didn’t know that. I always grill at home, never made it out to Clicks. (And this week, I have to be at work for a project and will be watching on my laptop)

Did you ever get around to the Gtown Commissary?

• The DirtyRaccoon

131.Bauce 2 Dope Says:
    November 17th, 2010 at 9:16 pm
    # The DirtyRaccoon Says:
    November 17th, 2010 at 9:13 pm

122.Bauce 2 Dope Says:
    November 17th, 2010 at 9:09 pm
    # J Hill Says:
    November 17th, 2010 at 9:09 pm

Matt gets the sack that leads to the defensive TD!
    *******************************

Yeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaahhhhh….all things Matt i will listen to ya

********************

Agreed Matt Shonuff is becoming a beast! He comes in @ diff times, but it seams he always makes a play. I like Scott too, they make an awesome pairing.
    *********************************************

Who is the mastaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

************************

Matt Shonuff is the Shogun of Oakland… LMFAO

Wow… Dakota are you following the news about the carzy guy holed up near the Angostura Reservoir?

• aig-raiders

No Commissary, wife says too far. I dont she likes bbq much. BTW, Wilks dugout got jerseys for cheap but they aint the real thing. They try to pass off premier stuff as on field authentics. I finally compared theirs vs mine and you can see the diff.

aig-raiders Says:
    November 18th, 2010 at 12:01 pm
    Bo,

You’re a lib right? How the heck did you end up in the corp?

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Stop falling for the BS caricatures. I served like Jimmy Carter and George McGovern served. I despise chickenhawks like Cheney and Reagan and Gingrich and…

• http://blackhillsphoto.com/sturgis-weddings/black-hills-weddings.jpg Dakota

586.Bo Schembechler Jackson Says:
    November 18th, 2010 at 12:11 pm

+++++++++++++

Are they trying to take his Heisman Trophy away for all the money he took to go to Mich?

made ya click!

• LA to TheBay

L.A

—————

Thank you, sir. Satire is my specialty.

• The DirtyRaccoon

555.bcz24 Says:
    November 18th, 2010 at 11:45 am

*************************

Gawld Daaammm, what a miserable existence… You live in New York, AND you have NEVER drank GodsCountry Dew?
    I don’t fell sorry for many people, I do fell sorry for you. The Dew is the Necter of the Earth, and New Yrok is HE!L.

Dude, back away from the ledge…. We can fix this. Let me know if you need a road map to success!

Trade Jon Condo for Gods Country Dew!

• DMAC

Later peoples!
    Go A’s!
    Go DUBS!
    Go Cal Bears!
    Go Fremont High Tigers!
    Go Raiders!
    (FK it! Go Sharks, even though I don’t watch hockey)

• bcz24

LoL Raccoon. I like New York. Taxes are a little high, but I dont own a house anyways. Bills fans get a little annoying sometimes but I just remind them that their team name stands for Boy I Love Losing Superbowls

• aig-raiders

Bo,

I hear you. I used to follow the Marines FB page and the Marines on there were mostly far right guys. FB had to take it down. You sir has just earned another notch of respect from me. Nothing like a lib with Marine Corp cred.

I’m not a fan of chickenhawks on the right nor a fan of the far left who never served either. Wolfowitz and Cheney are the two biggest Chickenhawks, but the one that takes the cake for me is Douglas Feith. What an a$$ he is.

• Pingback: AFC West notes « The Season Tickets Network