Raiders must do it the hard way

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Monday, November 22nd, 2010 at 8:49 pm in Oakland Raiders.

If the Raiders are to win the AFC West for the first time since 2002, they’ll do it with a tougher road than any of their division foes.

The Raiders have an advantage in that although they’re a game behind Kansas City in the division standings, they’re the only team in the division that can control its own destiny. If the Raiders win out, they own the title by virtue of already having a 3-0 record within the division that would expand to 6-0.

Of course, that’s the best-case scenario, and probably not the most likely one. Here’s how the Raiders schedule compares to that of their division foes, with San Diego having the easiest schedule based on the records of their opponents, with the Raiders having the toughest schedule:

SAN DIEGO (25-35)

at San Diego 5-5
at Jacksonville 6-4
Denver 3-7
Indianapolis 6-4
Kansas City 6-4

• YoungAmerican

You’re right, AIG. The rest of us should have cried all week about how the Raiders don’t have Tom Brady at QB. That would have been a much better use of our time.

• http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ KoolKell

Carson Palmer would just be the latest in an undistinguished list rejects trying to salvage a Raider Passing game.

Which, by most measures is out of his control anyway.

• lefty12

No way C.Newton.We need a QB,not a RB who is trying to play QB.

• Guy

What has been wrong with Routt’s play this year? The only games he had problems in were SD and that one play in KC, and we won both of those games.

• YoungAmerican

# Seymour Bush Says:
    November 23rd, 2010 at 7:58 pm

With Andy Luck and Jake Locker gone in the lst round, Cam Newton from Auburn and Pat Devlin from Delaware probably will be there early in the 2nd round. We can still get center and guard help in the 3rd round. Hue Jackson did a nice job developing another Q from Delaware. I think his name is Joe Flacco.

—————

Just read up a little on Pat Devlin. Good call, interesting prospect. I’ll have to watch him play sometime soon.

• priesttj

If you culd get VY to grow the hell up he would be the one I would want the most obviously outside of Mike Vick.

VY has quit on his team several times an dhas show a lack of maturity bordering on Russell he needs to understand that no matter what he cannot allow his teammates to see him turn his back on them in any way. And he’s done it TWICE!!

• Seymour Bush

# lefty12 Says:
    November 23rd, 2010 at 8:03 pm

No way C.Newton.We need a QB,not a RB who is trying to play QB.
    ===============================================

I don’t know. A guy who is completing 70% of his passes for over 10 yards per attempt, 21 TD’s, 6 ints, for the number two team in the nation? Who also has size and mobility? Playing in arguably the nations best conference? Seems like a good choice to me.

• aig-raiders

if calling a spade a spade is crying then so be it. It’s a whole lot better than hyping up a guy only to have him get his a$$ handed to him…as predicted by yours truly.

• YoungAmerican

# Guy Says:
    November 23rd, 2010 at 8:03 pm

————-

His play has definitely improved this year, but I want to see how he finishes out the season. I’m not completely convinced yet.

• Seymour Bush

Pat Devlin should be an excellent pro Q prospect. The guy who I wish we could pry off the Tampon Bay roster is Josh Johnson. Dude is a poor mans Mike Vick. He started four games for a BAD Tampon Bay team last year and did not do well. Kid has serious game. Plus he’s from Oakland.

• aig-raiders

Watup Lefty

I’m done settling some scores from the schytt they gave last week. I just have a hard time reading the over reaction from the same guys that over hyped the week before.

You go to the game Lefty? I’ll be there for the Denver game.

• YoungAmerican

# Seymour Bush Says:
    November 23rd, 2010 at 8:10 pm

————-

I’ve actually mentioned Josh Johnson here before as a guy I’d like the Raiders to take a look at. Wouldn’t be a bad signing for a #3 guy if the Raiders don’t find anyone they like in the draft.

We’ll get a good look at Tyler Thigpen next week. He’s been decent enough for some really awful teams (’08 Chiefs for instance), so who knows. He has decent mobility and a pretty good arm, but I don’t know about his accuracy or decision making.

• RAIDERMAN99

Chris in NY Says:
    November 23rd, 2010 at 5:02 pm
    I think Grads can get it done.

Give the guy a (legitimate) shot. The offense clearly functions better when he’s in there.

Take Sunday for example. Probably Grads’ worst performance as a Raider and it was just about as good as some of Campbell’s best. Factor in that we were on the road and already down by 3 TDs against a ferocious defense late in the 3rd quarter by the time Grads’ number was called. Oh, and that he had missed several weeks with an injury and was coming into an almost impossible situation, cold. Still, he had a nice drive going before throwing the bad pick.

Campbell is decent when he has about 4-5 seconds to survey the field and throw the ball with no one in his face. Grads is our only option to make something out of nothing, keep plays alive, and make the quick reads to get the ball down field and fit into tight spaces.

**************************************

Chris, I thought I was the only poster left here that still thinks Grads can get it done.

Nice to know at least one person agrees.

JFB (formerly VR) used to be Grad’s biggest supporter, now he’ll say Bruce is better than JaJason, but not much more.

AIG is the most vehement and persistent in reminding this blog that JaJason sucks. But I don’t know what his thoughts are about Grads being a long term answer are.

You’s have to be Stevie Wonder not to conclude that JaJason sucks. If he’s not the WORST starter in the NFL, I’d like to know who is.

I don’t know with certainty that Grads can be the long term answer at QB, although I still think he can be. I can understand giving up on Grads if you think he’s too fragile to stay on the field, but I still haven’t seen a JaMoron or JaJason like performance that would lead me to think he CAN’T get it done if healthy.

Continuing to start JaJason is pure folly.

There’s absolutely no doubt that if the Raids have any hope of making the playoffs this year that Grads must start.

It’s also essential to see what Grads can do in order to know where the Raids stand moving forward.

Al Davis, you’ve done a nice job bringing in new players and turning this club around. Don’t screw this season and the future up by not admitting JaJason isn’t the next Plunk.

Tom Cable, if you truly make the QB call, then make the right one. You were correct when you declared Grads (when healthy) the unquestioned starter. The only reason to go back on this is if Bruce still isn’t 100% or close to it.

JaJason is a complete turd and can not be part of this team’s future.

Grads outperforms JaJason every chance he gets. Give this team a chance to make the playoffs this year and let’s find out if Grads has a chance to be a guy to move forward with.

• priesttj

I’d take a long look at the kid from Nevada. Locker scares me he just doesn’t dominate at the collegiate level like he should. I would take a look at Case Keenam from Houston as well. Cam Newton may be forced to come out this year if so YOU absolutely have to consider him see if he throw the route tree accurately. See how well he picks up offenses and how well he understands defenses because if those are there he might sit for a year but my god that kid is scaaarrry. That is a LOAD and a half to have to deal with I think if I liked what I saw in his proday and personal workout I’d take him no doubt…………….hell yeah!!

• Seymour Bush

Josh Johnson could be a very very good pro Q in my mind. Plus he can just take off ala Vick and no one is going to catch him. I think he languishes on Tampon Bays bench until the Jason Freeman experiment ends.

• Dirtiest Raccoon

So whats the “nickname” of the RAIDERS offense?????

Did someone call it Campbells soldiers??

LMFAO!! How bout the Black Pop Gun.

• YoungAmerican

AIG, I like how you keep saying I overhyped JC or the Raiders when I’ve said many times over the course of the season that JC isn’t the long-term answer at QB, and said multiple times last week that the Raiders would more than likely drop the Pittsburgh game.

The Raiders are an improved team from last year, but not ready to compete with the elite teams in this league.

JC is one of two below-average QBs on the roster, who just so happened to earn a start in Pittsburgh since the Raiders won their three biggest games since 2002 with him at the helm.

And yet, you can do is call Campbell childish names and “predict that the team will lose to one of the best teams in the league (Astounding prediction! How’d you reach that conclusion, Merlin?), while actively hoping the QB plays poorly so you can be “right”.

• Seymour Bush

If the Raiders draft a Q early in the 2011 draft, it would be nice for that player to sit and watch for awhile. But the fans are not going to like that.

• Seymour Bush

Nickname for the Raiders Offense?? How’s about Campbells Chicken Soup?

• YoungAmerican

# Seymour Bush Says:
    November 23rd, 2010 at 8:22 pm

————–

Yeah, that’s probably the biggest downside of drafting a QB high. If the QB you have isn’t getting it done, the pressure mounts to put the kid in. The fact is, the vast majority of QBs are better when they’re not immediately thrown into the fire. Even a half of a season on the bench does a rookie QB a world of good sometimes.

• http://www.alaska.com SammyTheBull

aig-raiders Says:
    November 23rd, 2010 at 7:47 pm
    Sammy,

I didnt see you in here proclaiming JC the fraud during hte win streak and taking shcytts from the JC lovers and JC is improving crowd. Dont talk schytt when you were no where to be found during that time.

Kinda hard to be callling others a little girl when things got rough and you were no where to be found. Who’s the little girl now?
    =======
    great.
    you miss the whole point.
    why aren’t I surprised?
    First off, little girl, I’ve called out JC since day one, long before, and during the momentary win streak. also posted his horrendous ratings when others were cheering the fact the team won.
    LMAO at your silly “when things got rough”. when did things get rough? it’s a blog, little girl.
    Here, let me update things for you. You were wrong for 3 weeks in a row, and finally team lost and you are crowing, day after day.
    makes u look weak, pathetic, and yes, feminine

• aig-raiders

Raiderman,

I try not to use Grad in my posts because the JC fan club jumps all over it as the only evidence of me thinking that JC sucks. I try to leave Bruce out and stick with the facts of how awful JC was, is, and will be.

Since you ask, I find it very frustrating to see people question Bruce’s ability. For example:
    1. Vittorio asked on his tweet that “could Bruce have made that 47 yd throw to Ford in OT”. I tweeted back to him that Bruce’s bomb to Murph in Pitt last year went for 49 yds in the air for a 75 yd TD. It was so stupid to me to see a writer covering the Raiders not knowing that fact.

2. People continually asks whether Bruce can do better when all the evidence in the world has shown that his worst game as a starter is a 17 point loss to Dallas. It was hardly a Giants, Jets, Tenn, SF, KC or Pitt performance by either JC or JR. Morever, he was raking in 20+ first downs per game and avg 24 points per game this year even before the emergence of Veldheer/Oline and DMAC’s rushing domination for those 3 games.

I dont have a track record to say that Bruce is going to be a bonafided QB in this league. I do have the track record to say that Bruce is by far the best QB on our current roster affecting our current season. We can’t say 100% how Bruce would have done in the 3 game win streak because he was not in there. I do know 100% sure that Bruce outplayed JC in the same games with the same opponent and supporting staff. The evidence in the SF preseason game and STL reg season game convinced me as much.

I’d like to see him given more opps and I believe he will be. It’s a matter of time before JC is yanked again and for good. I believe it wont be long before the crowd boo his a$$ off on Sunday.

• Just Fire Baby

********************************************

This is the same rationale people had for drafting Tebow isn’t it?

• http://www.alaska.com SammyTheBull

# Seymour Bush Says:
    November 23rd, 2010 at 8:22 pm

=======
    I know. let’s sign him, let him sit for a full year, then put him in, even if he comes in fat and out of shape, and doesn’t know the playbook. then watch him get worse, next couple of years. maybe even being the worst qb in the league.

oh wait.
    already tried that.

• RAIDERMAN99

Lots of talk about UNR’s Colin Kaepernick, and his pro potential.

I live in Reno and have seen alot of his games.

At his best, he’s a poor man’s Vince Young.

He’s tall and lanky, runs very well, has a big arm with a long awkward delivery.

Needs to improve his ball security if he has any chance of success at the next level. (See his fumble against Hawaii this year, and other times he has been stripped as evidence. I once also saw him use the hand in which he was holding the ball in order to try to keep his balance and not go down on a scramble. He didn’t go down, but he left the ball behind !)

Hard to tell if he can make the transition. At UNR he’s bolstered by a great running game. Hasn’t been required or asked to make the second and third reads a QB must make at the next level.

Accuracy is spotty, but at times makes very difficult throws look easy. Can definitely throw those tough intermediate sideline outs and deep ball.

In short, the kid has the tools to be a good NFL QB, but he’s definitely a project.

Worth a shot in the mid rounds.

• djohnnyg

How come the Raiders have the top speed in the league and you RARELY ever see it displayed? Instead we get to see Mike Wallace run wild and the announcer says “well you just can’t stop that kind of speed”. Yet we have DHB, FORD, et al. and do almost NOTHING with it. Here we have these weapons that “you just can’t stop”, yet no one would ever know it. Something’s wrong with this picture.

• oakfan92

I think we will win every game except the Dolphins game. Yes, our opponents are in great shape , but I have a feeling of a wild card year this year.

• Bauce 2 Dope

I just wanna say to all my Raider brothers no matter where you are currently from or residing at….HAPPY FAWKIN HOLIDAYS!

This is first time in a long time during the holidays we can talk about our Raiders being alive for the postseason…..those punk ass family members and in laws who talk shhht about our team have ease off just a tad bit right now cuz they know we in striking distance of a January run…..Yall be safe out there now…..DUI’s are raining down like hell….I was at some scumbag bar last night and DUIs were getting handed out like crazy……trust me

Shout outs to that real crew…Norco Bob, Jhill,BHP,Raider Dell, MistaBrown,The REAL RAY,LAtotheBay,Plunketthead,PlunkHOF,D-Racs my dawg,PD81,408Raider,El Dirty,Since Frank Youell, RNORaider,909raider,Mistic1,Dakota,Bo,Bcz24,Vegas Raider,DMAC,707raiders,BigTed707,Banana always in the house, Young american I see ya mayne, Theculation you know u my family beyond Raider stuff, Carl Weathers keep at it go hard, STR you know your are the General of Texas, Djohnnyg as well, OAKGLENN no matter the alias i fux wit ya, eventho we stale about QB slot AIG, SnB is such a soldier, Raiderlen is my idol,Hwnrdr always at the games,GaterRaider the Sactown King all official, DKnight alwya s handlin biz i see ya mayne, Raider O you nail them studies baby we got ya back, Nnamdi21 and RaiderChaos yall keep them blogs up fk what these haters gotta say on ya, and RRS you thought I’d forget you bruh? NEVER!….hold down that podunk sectory ya feel me?……BuckeyeRaider you too for holding it down at the blogs Buckeye Ambassador,My dog the sage Lefty always spittin facts, exlaseasontix….lakers looking good dont riot,Texguy doesnt post much but I like his riffs on shhht,Inonewordraider we dont agree on alot but you are a Raider and I love ya mayne, I’ll never forget my GM Armchair and I just give props to anyone who rocks the Stabler! Stabler76 i see ya mayne!…..Raiderzmaverick, you in da game too,St Jimmy with his comedy is so needed, SteveAlford21 I can never leave you out, 504 Raider for holding us down in that crescent city, armond is my 510 playa fa sho, big ups to ArchiveTony for hitting me on that email, Chris in NY knows this game, RaiderRetribution ive always dug it mayne, Oh YEAAAAAAAAAAAh Snap into it with Macho Man Randy Savage, My dawg the smart one I call him Better Business Bureau but yall know him as Bart Bridge Blues…..now im hella drunk…i bet im forgetting some people….but if i did just know its all love…..even lame ass Kell and MR when they get on board

We are going to playoffs and will win the division…..No one will win in Oakland verse us….what does that mean? Yep at least 2nd round if not AFC title game….yeah im bold and im vicious!

Happy days for us are a coming…I love all yall guys truly!