Raiders start process of recovery

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Monday, November 22nd, 2010 at 1:03 pm in Oakland Raiders.

The Raiders began the process of putting a 35-3 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers in perspective Monday, a day after their hopes of validating their status as a re-emerging power crumbled against a superior opponent in a hostile venue.

Being that the loss came after three straight wins, the general feeling is that it won’t have the same effect as a one-sided loss would have had in past years.

“It’s not about, `we’ve got to figure out how we can win,’ ‘’ fullback Marcel Reece said. “It’s not that type of issue. We know we can win. We know we can win against good teams. We know it’s about going back and doing it.’’

“That’s football,’’ said cornerback Stanford Routt with a shrug. “Yeah, it was pretty ugly. Offense, defense, special teams. . . but we’ve got Miami this week, plain and simple.’’

Reserve running back and core special teams player Rock Cartwright said coach Tom Cable’s postgame message was simple and direct.

“That wasn’t us. We didn’t play the way we normally play,’’ Cartwright said. “Take it in stride, put it behind us, and go forward with the next game because you can’t beat a dead horse. We’ll go and watch the tape, go forward and get ready for Miami this week.’’

More news, notes and quotes from Monday’s open locker room session:

—There was no sign of Richard Seymour in the Raiders’ locker room Monday. Seymour was ejected with 1:23 to go in the half for an open-handed punch in the face of Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Seymour, who was fined $7,500 last year for pulling the hair of Denver tackle Ryan Clady and another $10,000 for hitting a Cleveland player after the whistle last season, will almost certainly be fined again and could face suspension. He told reporters he was sorry for letting his team down following the game.

Linebacker Quentin Groves thought Roethlisberger to be an unfortunate victim in an ongoing tussle between Seymour and Pittsburgh guard Chris Kemoeatu.

“As I saw the replay, I see what happened. The thing was, all the offensive linemen, as well as some of us, were getting chippy because they were chipping after the whistle,’’ Groves said. “And then Richard, as Ben goes and tries and break the fight up, Richard reacts. That’s just a reaction that a fighter has, and that’s what he is, a fighter. To react like that is just a basic combination.”

Roethlisberger made no mention of attempting to be a peacemaker following the game.

Seymour’s ejection was only the most visible indiscretion in game full of pushing, shoving and flared tempers.

“We want to turn it into a street fight, but, you know. I don’t like the ejection. I’ll say that. That’s frustrating. They were doing stuff to us, they just caught the one act that we do, and they want to throw a guy out. Which I think is huge,’’ safety Mike Mitchell said. “He’s one of our better players, a leader on our team. We want to turn everything into a street fight and we didn’t win it. So shame on us.’’

Speaking about the possibility of a suspension for Seymour, Groves said, “You get suspended for anything right now, but I don’t know. I’m going to let commissioner Goodell and the powers that be decide that. If he’s there he’s there, if he’s not we have to still get ready to go out and play Miami.”

— With coach Tom Cable reaffirming Campbell’s hold on the starting job following the game, Bruce Gradkowski will be ready if called upon against Miami.

“It doesn’t change my approach,’’ Gradkowski said. “It’s like an up and down roller coaster but you just have to keep grinding, keep going. Like I said, I felt great in the game yesterday. That’s what made me excited is that physically I feel good, I feel ready to go. That’s my number one thought. As long as I feel good I can’t worry about the rest. I’ll just keep working hard and be ready.

Gradkowski entered the game with the Raiders trailing 21-3 with 4:42 left in the third quarter and promptly drove them from their own 20 to the Pittsburgh 24 before being intercepted by Troy Polamalu, who returned it 48 yards.

Gradkowski took responsibility for the mistake, which came on a pass intended for Jacoby Ford.

“I saw a guy coming free and I kind of tried to just get the ball out of my hand and I never saw Polamalu,’’ Gradkowski said.
“I kind of thought it was just going to go into the ground right there. That sucker comes out of nowhere and takes it. He made a good play and I can’t do that. That was a key drive right there.

“ If we put a touchdown in the end zone, you know hey, who knows what would have happened. You just kind of have to learn from it.’’

— Running back Darren McFadden said the Raiders simply didn’t respond to the Steelers’ physical defense.

“They came out swinging and it seemed like we kind of balled up when they were swinging and we didn’t respond to the punch they through at us,’’ McFadden said.

— Mitchell wants the Raiders to keep the feeling of the loss inside as a reminder of how bad it feel as they prepare to face the Dolphins.

“We were so high and really believing we were going to win the game, and to get smacked like that, that hurts,’’ Mitchell said. “That’s very humbling. Hopefully everyone’s just motivated as I am and I’m sure they are. That’s the only thing you can do is go back to work and get ready to play Sunday.’’

More to come after Raiders coach Tom Cable meets with the media at 2 p.m. . . .

• YoungAmerican

Onto the next one, guys. Play better next week and we’ll forgive you for losing to the Steelers.

• YoungAmerican

# SilverNBlackPA Says:
    November 22nd, 2010 at 1:03 pm

YoungAmerican Says:
    November 22nd, 2010 at 1:01 pm
    Hopefully they bring in former Saints DE Bobby McCray if Trevor Scott has to go on IR.

+++++++++++++++

They already worked him out earlier in the year…be interesting to see what they do

———-

Yeah, exactly. They could use more depth at DE anyway since Richardson isn’t around anymore.

• SilverNBlackPA

Most of them are saying the right things, I see. But do they believe it?

• inonewordraider

I’m glad the Raiders haven’t thrown in the towel like many fans on here have. Are you no longer going to the games because of this loss? No chance for a sellout or a real home field advantage I’m guessing because of a bad loss after a 3 game losing streak.

• SnB Production

Vontae Davis is a damn good cornerback.

So what will these receivers do to win 1-1 matchups against superior DB talent?

• inonewordraider

winning streak I meant

• SnB Production

Preparation TRUMPS emotional stuff.

Get prepared….and then play!

• MikieG

8th

• MikieG

Hope Big Sey doesnt get suspended for the next game. Give him a huge fine, but dont suspend the guy.

• SilverNBlackPA

I’m gonna guess they’ll find Seymour in the 75K-100K neighborhood, but no suspension. But they’ll also make it clear that a similar incident will mean multiple games, not just one.

But who knows? Goodell seems to throw darts to figure out punishment and fines

• J Hill

894.priesttj Says:
    November 22nd, 2010 at 12:48 pm

SnB

Maybe I didn’t make myself clear our rec’s weren’t winning 1 on 1 battles for the QB to get it out of his hands. We didn’t compete at all outside of a few plays here or there. No consistency for him to drop back and let it go.

Pitt was setting him up for picks and they got one. We just didn’t compete yesterday……….period

——————————————————-

Expectations are really high for our #3, 4, and 5 WRs. The smurfs got smacked around yesterday, and Murphy once again made more mistakes than anyone on the field.

that fumble was HUGE !!!!!!

14-3 at the time with us on the move if he holds on to the ball. Instead Pitts goes down and scores a TD, and the game was basically over.

• SilverNBlackPA

Inonewordraider,

There is zero chance the Miami game sells out. They had to pull out all the stops to get the KC game to sell out and that was against a division rival with the team on a win streak in what was advertised as the biggest game in 8 years.

Maybe the Denver game sells out if they run the table on Miami, San Diego and Jacksonville. But if not, I think it’ll be 7 of 8 home games blacked out

• Thec07

SnB Production Says:
    November 22nd, 2010 at 1:10 pm
    Preparation TRUMPS emotional stuff.

Get prepared….and then play!

+++++++++++===

Snb, Its Allways hard to disagree with ya Bruh…

• Thec07

Expectations are really high for our #3, 4, and 5 WRs.

++++++++++
    I have to do a recount…
    Who is the 1 amd 2 WR’s?

DHB is 1, who is no 2?

• J Hill

Trevor Scott injury is crucial.

Wonder if we move Groves to his spot, and let Goethel play WLB? They seem to be trying to get Goethel on the field.

• priesttj

SnB

You have to use technigue to beat the jam and bump and run. You have to run precise routes and get to where the QB expects you to be. If you dn’t he cannot cut it lose. You guy’s want him to do all these things with guy’s who are learning. Ford is a rookie JLH runs lousy routes as you saw on the TD attempt. Murphy was inexcusable he just wasn’t assertive. We need Murphy to get his ass OPEN he’s the possesion guy.

This is why I say what I say about DHB he can get open against press coverage because he’s strong and physical it’s harder for them to knock him off his route. And if they miss the jam he’s gone. Also Chaz is the saem way when it comes to working the middle of the field his size and athleticism is HUGE. Also he works the sideline routes better than any of them. Ford has to use the threat of his speed right now he is not a good route runner. But if you don’t jam him he’ll kill you.

You need all types to have an effective passing game. Yesterday we had a bunch of fast guy’s and no route runners. So the Steelers just jammed them and got physical with them. And they punked out………..period

• Thec07

1. DHB
    2. MURPHY
    3. FORD
    4. JLH
    5. NMILLER

Am I missing someone????

• SilverNBlackPA

Am I missing someone????

++++++

You’re missing Chaz Schil…HAHAHAHAHAH…sorry, tried to say it with a straight face.

No, you’re not missing anyone.

• J Hill

The minute Chaz comes back, he starting. And you know it mayne.

#1 Chaz
    #2 DHB
    #3 Ford
    #4 JLH
    #5 Murphy

• Thec07

J Hill Says:
    November 22nd, 2010 at 1:25 pm
    The minute Chaz comes back, he starting. And you know it mayne.

#1 Chaz
    #2 DHB
    #3 Ford
    #4 JLH
    #5 Murphy

++++++++++++++++++

Never heard of Chaz…Now I do remeber we cut this guy a few year ago named charles schallens… that guy was awful, ran bad routes, not pyhsical, or toguh…Just another fast guy….

• SnB Production

Priesttj,

I am beginning to question how these receivers are being coaches. Many of the things you talked about, these guys, especially Murphy and JLH, should be able to do a better job with.

If these guys can’t deliver that, then the Raiders are in big trouble.

I have seen all of 1 game where a receiver said “I am going to take this game over” and that was J. Ford in KC.

Other than that it seems conditions have to be PERFECT for these guys to make plays.

We don’t have decades to get this right. The O-Line is shaky and the QB doesn’t have time to drop back 7 and survey the field…its gotta be three steps and out.

The receivers are either up to the challenge or this team will finish 5-11…..We can’t rely on DMAC rushing for 150 yards in order to win

Pittsburgh DOES NOT have all-world corners. In fact, Vontae Davis is better than any corner yesterday.

Receives gotta start helping out.

And QBs have to throw it to them anyway, they are on the damn field

• SnB Production

Chaz Schilens can’t help anybody in the tub. Just can’t.

The coaches should have had a better solution than waiting 14 weeks for Schilens.

Is he in shape? Can he cut on that leg?

I think he’s still hurt! I would just shut that kid down until camp. LAST CHANCE!

• Thec07

I have heard several guys including Raider O say we need to run sanjay outta town… Is it him or is it the guys????

• http://blackhillsphoto.com/sturgis-weddings/black-hills-weddings.jpg Dakota

Hey, we were up 3-0 at one point!

• J Hill

DHB is the 2nd best WR on this team behind Chaz. Ford is a next on the list far ahead of JLH and Murphy.

I’d love to get a guy like Fitzgerald to match with our top 3 guys since we passed on Dez Bryant.

• Thec07

SnB Production Says:
    November 22nd, 2010 at 1:29 pm
    ++++++++++++===

were you a football coach or a drill seargent?
    however I do agree…Last chance for charles…

• dbaz09

…rumors of the return to greatness were greatness were greatly exaggerated.

• J Hill

especially Murphy and JLH, should be able to do a better job with.

—————————————————–

The guys were 4th rd picks for a reason. They are performing like they should. Occasional contributions.

• mistic1

# mistic1 Says:
    November 22nd, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Something interesting to chew on. vince young will more than likely be available next season. cam newton may declare early. Is there a chance Al makes a play for one of these guys?

I think vy is in the last year of his deal. i doubt they will cut him but will they take a trade with lower value because they just need to move him going into next year?

• SD-Raider

I still say Bruce gives us our best chance to win. Campbell is garbage. We have won despite of him, not because of him.

After this off season I thought Al had decided to stop letting his ego get in the way of us winning, however now Campbell is just JaWalrus part 2. Bench that bum until he proves he can be effective at moving the chains.

• Thec07

J Hill Says:
    November 22nd, 2010 at 1:29 pm

++++++++++++++

We should have been taking Dez this year had they not taking DHB the prior. the prior should have been trade out and stockpile the best linmen on both sides of the ball. this year should have been the year we drafted a skill player….Whom I detest now…

• J Hill

DHB will be fine Thec. We clearly missed him yesterday. When was the last time someone played an 8 man front against us?

• YoungAmerican

In truth, we should have just taken Nicks and not DHB, but oh well. I’m not a GM for a reason.

• J Hill

Chaz is the WR is question Thec. Dez would be on the field instead of Murphy and in place of Chaz.

• priesttj

SnB

Man listen to me it’s not coaching it’s called execution Ford is a rookie I cannot emphasize that enough we don’t have a veteran group of rec’s we have 1st2nd 3rd year guy’s. That is asking a lot especially most of them weren’t rated that high to begin with. Murphy should be better than he is but not by much. JLH is the vet of the group and heis just not a disciplined route runner he’ll run a great route and then quit on the next one. He is the most frustrating guy in the wrld to watch. But when he focuses he can make bigtime plays.

Why do you think I defend DHB the way I do because in reality he is one of the best route runners we have and he has the biggest upside next to Chaz. Maybe the most gifted rec we have all things considered. But we have t wait until he is where he needs to be I know that hurts but trust me if he gets there it will be more than worth the wait. Listen they knew if they could jam our guy’s long enough to get to Campbell they would win and they did…………period

• Thec07

J Hill Says:
    November 22nd, 2010 at 1:35 pm

+++++++++++++

dont get me wrong Bruh, DHB was clearly missed yesterday….

• mistic1

Chaz DHB and Ford are clearly our top 3 receivers, two of them were down.

• J Hill

Thec,

I don’t think there is a LT available to us instead of DHB that was better than Veldheer ended up being. I’m fine with the DHB pick and Veldheer at LT.

• priesttj

Jhill post#32 is very true, I didn’t wnat to be the one to say it because everyone thinks I’m his campaign manager but we definitely missed him yesterday. He would’ve made the difference.

• inonewordraider

Trevor Scott injury is crucial.

Not crucial, like you say Groves could play backup DE and Howard or Goethel can play LB

• Just Fire Baby

**********************************************

Yes Darren, pissed pants were clearly visible on some of the offensive players.

Laughable that grown men on a winning football team will admit to “ball up” in a game because the other team is being physical.

That’s why they makes QB’s who are leaders.

• inonewordraider

So we all loved Seymour cracking Ben in the face right? I mean at the time it put on your smile at least?

• SnB Production

I just think we overthink this stuff. Make plays man….just make plays….

Not enough guys on offense making plays.

Defense is PROGRESSING! Guys are improving each week, discipline is getting better (I mean in scheme, not the Seymour punch)…and players on that side of the ball are working together.

Mitchell, a guy I wasn’t excited about, has stepped his game up…Houston, Shaughnessy, Huff, Routt, and dare I say…good lawd…Tommy Kelly….

The defensive players, it appears, have take personal responsibility for getting better.

The only measurable change on offense is DMAC. Him stepping up makes the offense functional…but shut him down…and its back to 2006!

The offense has a lot of work ahead of it. The receivers are a wash this year. But next year man, they gotta step it up.

I still get p#ssed watching Tampa Bay and St. Louis. Two teams THAT WERE BEHIND the Raiders in development AND talent.

At some point you gotta get the heck off the commode and start doing something

• inonewordraider

put a smile on your face..

• Just Fire Baby

DHB could have made a difference?

He would have been one of the first ones to check out!!!

Being that in 13 of his 19 career starts he has zero or one catch, there was a 67% chance he wouldn’t have done a damn thing.

• SnB Production

Just get better! Let’s not go through a season, regardless of the record, and say…man this and that guy look the as last year…..

I am talking about O-Lineman, QBs and Wide Receivers.

The clarion call should be STEP UP!

• OG-RAIDERRR

Both our QB’s suck ! O-line is trash on the right side. Hope #21 gets back quick CJ37 sucks!

• SnB Production

Priesttj,

I am not bagging on DHB either. First of all, he didn’t play yesterday. But secondly, I am not sure the Raiders are even putting him in position to make plays.

Watch Detroit play with Calvin Johnson. They make it a point to just get him the ball and let him fight for it. Which he does quite succesfully.

• Just Fire Baby

Terrible throw by Bruce. An incomplete pass would have still set up a FG that could have made it a two possession game.

Not sure why they didn’t try a run though. Bush rumbles for 20 yards……and than back to 3 straight passes.

• JB

# SnB Production Says:
    November 22nd, 2010 at 9:29 am

April 2011: Commissioner: There’s been a trade……the Oakland Raiders will be trading the #47 pick in 2011 draft and the 2nd rounder in 2012 for Quarterback Kevin Kolb…. The Philadelphia Eagles are now on the clock”
    ***************************

Here’s my thought on the above subject: Having Nnamdi Asomugha, arguably the best CB in the NFL, is a pure luxury. Having a franchise QB is a necessity.

The Oakland Raiders trade Nnamdi Asomugha to the Philadelphia Eagles for Kolb, QB and Philadelphia’s #1 pick for 2011.