Bay Area News Group Sunday links

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Sunday, November 28th, 2010 at 8:43 am in Oakland Raiders.

A few links to consider before the Raiders play the Dolphins this afternoon in a battle of 5-5 teams hoping to remain in the playoff chase:

– The story got held a few weeks for space considerations, but “Fade to Black” examines the problems the Raiders have dealing with an antiquated NFL blackout rule with a season ticket base of between 20,000 and 24,000.

When I put out a brief post asking for fans and their experiences at the Coliseum, the e-mail response was overwhelming. Given an approximately 900-word limit and all the issues involved, I wound up using very little in terms of fans quoted in the story. Rest assured, however, I read them all and it provided valuable perspective in framing the story.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to send an e-mail.

– Here’s my weekly NFL column and the questionable tactics utilized by the San Diego Chargers, who nonetheless are in good position for another strong finish and and AFC West title.

– My weekly NFL rankings have the New York Jets at No. 1 and the Raiders dropped to No. 18 after their loss to Pittsburgh.

– Beat writer Steve Corkran writes about Tom Cable’s quarterback sneak, a silent flip-flop from Jason Campbell to Bruce Gradkowski.

– Today’s Dolphins-Raiders game features two teams at 5-5 trying to atone for embarrassing losses in their previous game.

– We’re changing up the game-day chat format. For the past few Raiders home games, I’ve been doing in-game chats from kickoff to finish, and I’ve got a confession to make. I’m spending so much time interacting with readers and writing comments that I’m missing too much of the games I’m supposed to be covering. When I have chats on Tuesdays, I’ll get questions about plays I never saw because my face was in my computer screen.

So today, I’ll have a pre-game chat starting at noon and lasting until just before kickoff. I’m sure topics on the table will be the Gradkowski-for-Campbell switch, as well as how the Raiders will rebound from last week’s defeat against Pittsburgh.

I’ll check in with quarter updates here and on my Twitter page.

• http://atm Raider O

I agree. Cable needs to Fix the OL. Cooper C and Satele need to be replaced!

• mistic1

This is not about jc vs grad. Both have struggled & im sure both would play better behind a solid o- line. I have never heard of a guy getting benched under these circumstances. 3 game win streak, lose a road game to a superbowl contender and your done? The next guy comes in off the bench also plays poorly & he gets the start?!?!?

Cable hoping grads can save his job again is pure folly.

Trestman for 2011

• YoungAmerican

# Guy Says:
    November 28th, 2010 at 10:51 am

YoungAmerican its not like the Raiders only run man with a 4 man rush. They occasionally blitz Wimbley and when they play zone, they almost always get burned.

————-

Those blitzes are something that we’ve finally seen popping up this year.

So what’s the problem? People complain about the vanilla defense, and then they complain when the defense gets burned going to different zone looks. Then the Raiders don’t blitz enough, but when they blitz and leave a LB manned up against a WR it’s bad playcalling.

It’s all about execution. You can run any scheme you want on defense as long as you can execute it. The defense has played better than it has in years this season. They’re changing their looks a little bit and getting more pressure. The only problem is inconsistent execution, which has more to do with the young pieces on this defense than it does with the DC. Because as we all know, if you come to the Raiders as a defensive coordinator your base scheme is always going to be the defense Al wants.

Al seems to be giving Marshall a little leeway to work with the defense, and it has paid off with more sacks and a better run defense. That’s what matters. A new DC isn’t going to do any better than this, unless Al gives them complete freedom to implement any scheme they want. That’s just not going to happen.

• J Hill

When you rush for 200 yards and get 500 total, the O-line is dominating.

—————————————————–

So you think it’s 8 terrible games instead of 9?

• RAIDER KID

whats up nation? new to this blog hope them raiders can get by miami today. but I sure think we need a quarterback other than the two we have.

• Just Fire Baby

Mistic1,

How many times does Hue Jackson and Tom Cable have to say for you to understand that this is not Cable’s call?

Hue Jackson made this switch today, get it?

• marios

Tim Brown for WR coach

• http://atm Raider O

I also think Walker to slow to play outside. He needs to be moved inside to RG.
    IMHO Veldheer should be moved to RT next season (can’t handle speed), and we should develop B Campbell to be our LT next season. Campbell is the most athletic OL we have, and we need to take advantage of his talents. I can’t see the logic from playing him inside at RG.

• mistic1

Jfb,

the oline is awful. Only the denver game had halfway decent pass protection. This is one of the worst pass protection units in football, & everyone knows it. Campbell & grads have been running for their lives. Even vs sea & kc the line was terrible in the first half. This wby our qbs make so many plays on the move.

Run blocking is only ok, not good. The talent of dmac makes it look much better than it actually is.

Pass blocking gets a grade of f- for the year.

• http://atm Raider O

Walk is too slow…

• J Hill

O,

Why do you think guys like Goethel and Stevie Brown can get on the field, but Bruce Campbell can’t?

Ford, Houston, and Veldheer are all getting snaps too.

If Campbell were ready to contribute, I have to imagine he would be on the field.

• http://www.aflciodental.com/unions/IBEW.png The Real Ray

Hey….Fatt Kidd is back!

• Just Fire Baby

I’m convinced Bruce Campbell will be changing tires in about 3 years.

Don’t think that kid has “it”, and let’s face it, if Al didn’t draft him in the 4th round where would he have went? 5th? 6th?

5th and 6th round picks are not that uncommon to never make it.

• lefty12

YA-thats just O.He wants to fire everyone every other week.

• RAIDERMAN99

Just Fire Baby Says:
    November 28th, 2010 at 10:58 am
    Mistic1,

Hue Jackson made this switch today, get it?

=========================================

Whether it’s purely Hue Jax, or Cable and Hue Jax making the switch, the most important thing to remember is Al Davis is consenting to or approving the switch, even if he’s doing so somewhat reluctantly.

Bet your bottom dollar Al would veto any decision to bench JaJason, if Al hadn’t concluded what any non-myopic observer of the Raids already realized long ago — JaJason sucks.

• mistic1

Jfb,

Cable is the head coach, hu jack doesnt do anything without consent and input from cable.

Cable is on the hot seat, is hu jack? Cable must win now, we dont know what happens to hu-jack when cable is gone.

Cable keeps trying this hocus pocus qb switch garbage, it has been exposed.

Who ever says replace the qb after the last four games, for a career back up that has also struggled mightly this year should be fired at seasons end.

Juggling qb when you have an up and comer or proven vet is one thing, we are not in the boat. Its spineless and shows a lack of leadership.

• bg22958

So if only this years stats count than Campbell still the edge. He has a slightly higher comp % and still has the edge in TD/Int ratio.

The red flag for me is Bruce has never, in his career, been better than a 54% completion passer. Also, Campbell is in his first year with this team, these receivers, these lineman, and this OC – so he gets more leniency in my mind. Bruce has more familiarity with this offense, and way more familiarity with the personnel and he is still a 53% passer with more INTs than TDs.

O-line play must improve if either will win this year. This offense is carried on McFadden’s shoulders.

Given time though Jason will get better. Given time Bruce will continue to be what he has always been and will loose this job.

• J Hill

I’m convinced Bruce Campbell will be changing tires in about 3 years.

——————————————————

Those Maryland guys take a little longer to develop. Year 3 he should starting for us somewhere on the Oline.

• J Hill

hu jack doesnt do anything without consent and input from cable.

—————————————————–

I don’t know about that.

It’s well documented that Cable’s duties are pretty much TO coordinator and PR guy.

Hue Jackson has COMPLETE control of the offense including who plays, and he was given that power by Al Davis. That is on record.

• Just Fire Baby

********************************

Who says Cable is on the hot seat? You, that’s about it.

Cable, Hue and Al Davis are focused on winning the division, and Hue is focused on HIS offense. Of course Cable consents it, and than Al signs off on it.

But do you think Cable is going to force Bruce on Hue? LMAO!!! Hue was the one who said that he wanted to bench Jason earlier this year.

Regardless, Jason has been benched, again, and I am sure Hue was all for it, based on his track record this season and his comments.

• Just Fire Baby

**********************************

And what job has Campbell been able to keep?

Last I checked, he was given away this offseason, and benched by his new team.

• J Hill

There are NO good games on right now!

• J Hill

Jacksonville rolling the Giants in NY, lol.

We better be ready to play those guys!

• lefty12

Mystic,quit your biotching and support the team.The coaches made a decision.You may not like it,but you have no say so support it.If things turn out like you believe you can then come here and present your arguments as to why they were wrong.You complained about how AIG was acting last week and you are doing the exact same thing this week.Root for the uniform instead of the name.

• http://www.beyonceonline.com/us/home DaRayduh

Let us just support Bruce today and know with the right play calling, he can chew up Miami.
    I for one will be excited to see a take charge QB and see the energy level where it should be.

Oakland 41
    Miami 10

• RAIDERMAN99

Just Fire Baby Says:
    November 28th, 2010 at 11:09 am
    I’m convinced Bruce Campbell will be changing tires in about 3 years.

========================================

If true, that’ll be TWO Campbells out of the NFL.

And if Bruce lasts 3 years in the NFL, JaJason will have two years seniority over him at the tire shop.

• Just Fire Baby

There are NO good games on right now!

***************************

AMEN to that.

Always the downfall to Turkey day week, those 3 games rob the morning games of some of it’s luster.

• lefty12

Why if given time will JC get better,yet what you see is what you get from BG?How do you know if given time BG won’t continue to improve and JC will always be the same guy?

• OAKlifer

Afternoon NATION!!!!

OAK 28
    MIA 10

Under two hours I cant wait!!! Its nice living in Ore DTV has Sunday ticket I get ALL Raiders Games!!!!

• mistic1

Jfb,

hu jacj must get approval from the head coach. Not sure what you have been reading, hu jack goes to cable not davis.

Davis hasnt said cable is on the hot seat, but his win loss record does. Many thought he was nearly fired last year. Di you think he keeps the job with double digit losses again?

Does he keep his job if he wins less than 8 games?

Davis history says no. My guess based on historical patterns of my team.

Cable is desperate and he looks like it.

• PurpleDrank81

COLIN KAEPERNICK

• aig-raiders

You guys argue so much about how well you know QB’s but I noticed a lot of you Bruce haters dont dare make any prediction.

This is simple. If you think you know both QB’s well enough than effin make your prediction like I did last week. I made a prediction last week on JC’s play and knew I would be right.

If you think Grad is garbage, then step up and show us your football knowledge. Make a prediction before the game and let’s see if you know anything about football. Put up or shut up already.

• Just Fire Baby

Di you think he keeps the job with double digit losses again?

********************************

Well of course not, but that isn’t about to happen is it?

If we go 8-8, I think Cable will be about 3rd or 4th in the COY award, and most certainly be back.

And when it comes to personnel decisions on the offense, Hue makes all the calls. Now if it is in regards to an O-lineman, than Cable will be more involved.

Changing the QB? 110% Hue Jackson’s decision, and Cable will say yes either way, IMO.

• Just Fire Baby

PurpleDrank81 Says:
    November 28th, 2010 at 11:27 am
    COLIN KAEPERNICK

****************************

4th or 5th round maybe.

I think some teams will try to make him a WR though.

• aig-raiders

Without time, Defense, and spec team, Bruce was able to generate 20+ first downs per game and avg 24 points a game. But some of you think he will be worst with an improved line, D and spec team? wow great logic there.

• Lowdown_in_Beijing

AIG you called last week. I remember that.

However, it goes in the “True but Useless” (TBU) file.

You were right, do you need others to be wrong??? You actually keep score on right and wrong?

LMN, warum bist du so schade Heute? Wir sind Der Raiders, nicht nur einen Person.

I don’t care if today is the return of Wade Wilson and James Jett again catches the winning TD, I want a win.

Let the old ladies bicker over their QB of choice…I hope we run the Wild Cat all day and neither QB starts.

Go Raiders.

For those in blacked out areas: http://tvmov.net/

• mistic1

Lefty,

what are you talking about??? How am i not supporting my team? I do support my team, its not about the qb, that was over 7-8 weeks ago.

I am however pointing out what is the biggest issue, like i have all season long. Cable and his oline stink out loud.

Campbell & grads are good enough to beat miami.

I dont like panic stricken head coaches, that cant make a decision an attempt to dodge blame and throw players under the bus.

I dont like cable

• djohnnyg

Cable is desperate and he looks like it.

Ok, he’s desperate to win and knows he has to to keep his job. Then all he is doing is making the move that he feels gives the team the best chance to win. I don’t see what’s wrong with that kind of “desperation”.

Should he start Campbell even though it gives us lesser chance of winning just so we have consistency? Winning is what counts in ANY league.

• Just Fire Baby

I trust Tom Cable.

He has had us going in the right direction since he replaced Kiffin, culminating in us being pertinant and in the thick of the division race this season.

He is not much of an X’s and O’s guy, but he is perfect in his role now.

I hope he is around for another 4-5 years.

• Raider 510

The problem with a lot of people on this blog is they are so emotionally involved with the team their bias becomes unbelievable. Ridiculous, really. This ain’t the only team in the league workin their tails off to be good. We have a young team right now, that has the potential to be great, but with average quarterbacks and a terrible pass protecting o-line how far can they really go? My only problem with the coaching is they aren’t stubborn enough with the run game.

• aig-raiders

Low Down,

This is a Sports blog. People blog on here as if they know football real well but I dont hear them making any prediction. Everything is always hindsight 20/20. It’s simple. If you think you know WTF you’re talking about then step out a limb and make a prediction. When I feel strongly about a certain subject I wont hesitate to put my name on it.

If you truly care about winning, then try understanding why we win and why we lose. It helps.

• Lowdown_in_Beijing

Saw Cable giving a Russian whore a tonsil massage outside 1 Market in SF…on a Saturday night prior to a home game.

Dude may have game, but it isn’t football.

Hope he opens a import bride bizzness and leaves football to Hue.

• http://www.beyonceonline.com/us/home DaRayduh

Al is the one who is desperate. If he as any sense left, he’ll “stay the course” and leave well enough alone. He wants two more SB’s, well this is the closest thing we have gotten to in 8 years. Mess it up and we tank again for who knows how long.

• lefty12

Mystic-you are so full of it.It isn’t about the QB.That is all it is about with you.If Campbell,Russell,Culpepper,Brooks,Lefewitz,Gerrard,or a few others were the QB you’d be happy.You hate Gradkowski and I doubt it has anything to do with his ability to play QB.

• RAIDERMAN99

aig-raiders Says:
    November 28th, 2010 at 11:29 am

===============================================

I think Bruce will play well. Honestly, the only concern I have about Bruce is that his shoulder still isn’t 100% and some rust.

I’m on record as believing that Grads will develop into an upper tier NFL QB.

I place his ceiling somewhere between Matt Hassleback and Drew Brees level.

Yup, I said it. I think Grads can be close to Drew Brees.

As far as no good games being played right now…GB/ATL ain’t half bad.

• Lowdown_in_Beijing

Yeah, but I don’t remember what the losers say, even when they are “right”.

Where as you, LMN, and the others man up when your prediction goes sown in flames….keeping score is lost on me because that knobs got nothing worth listening to.

Kinda like beating on the boy in class that eats paste…sad and easy.

• aig-raiders

Off to the Booster Club. Enjoy the game.

• YoungAmerican

No Ware, Johnson, Nick Miller or Jarvis Moss (among others).

Thank god Asomugha is back.

• YoungAmerican

Gotta wonder what the point in Nick Miller being inactive is. Seems like the WR needs all the help it can get.

• aig-raiders

Lowdown,

If I told you that there’s no WMD in Iraq, does that make me unpatriotic and rooting for America to lose. Truths are truths. Dont hate the messenger. I told you the truth last week and you seem to have a problem with handling the truth. Get a life.