Ford happy to have first receiving TD

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Monday, November 29th, 2010 at 1:01 pm in Oakland Raiders.

News, notes and quotes and observations from the Raiders’ open locker room session Monday, a day after a 33-17 loss to the Miami Dolphins at the Coliseum:

— Rookie wide receiver and return specialist Jacoby Ford, who pretty much supplied anything good that happened against the Dolphins, was happy to get in the end zone for the first time as a receiver.

“I was really excited about the pass, to have my first reception touchdown,’’ Ford said. “Just to go out there and make a great play, just try to keep the game open, keep it alive. I was just really proud I put myself in that position.”

Ford said his 101-yard kickoff return, the third longest in Raiders history, came in part because it was set up by film study.

“Watching film on them all week on the kickoff return we actually saw some other teams that did a similar return to them, like that,’’ Ford said. “We knew if we went out there, executed the way we can – our front line, they did a great job and big Sam (Williams), he threw me a great block at the end to make sure that one didn’t try to catch me or anything, and it just kind of opened up and I read the block from there.”

As for Ford’s skill to take the ball away from a defender _ he did it to Miami cornerback Chris Clemons much as he did to the Chiefs’ Brandon Flowers _ he said it came about in part because of practice.

“It kind of just happens more in practice,’’ Ford said. “That’s just the thing with a receiver. A receiver has to have good ball skills. That’s just a drill, high-point drill that we work on in practice, and it just translates over into the game.”

The only kickoff returns longer than Ford’s touchdown against Miami in Raiders history were 104 yards by Ira Matthews against the San Diego Chargers in 1979 and 102 yards by Harold Hart against Miami in 1975.

— Coming off back to back one-sided losses, Oakland has little choice but to return its new-found focus to the new-found comfort zone of the AFC West.

In third place at 5-6 but still the lone unbeaten team in division games at 3-0, the Raiders visit one of the NFL’s hottest teams in the San Diego Chargers, who were once upon a time 2-5 and are now 6-5, a game up on the Raiders and a game back of the Kansas City Chiefs (7-4).

Which safety Tyvon Branch considers perfect timing.

“Definitely,’’ Branch said. “Especially with those guys. We always get a little extra motivation with those guys. I think it’s a good game for us. We need it. They need it. It’s going to be a fight.’’

Branch was at a loss to explain how the Raiders could go from one of the league’s most talked-about teams to where they now reside.

“It seems like everything is going wrong right now,’’ Branch said. “We haven’t been clicking, and when we were winning those games back-to-back we were clicking on all cylinders. And we just haven’t been lately.’’

Not that Branch is giving up hope.

“We’re still optimistic. We still have a lot of things ahead of us that we could still end up going where we want to go,’’ Branch said. “The season is not over for us. We have a lot of fight left in us, and we’re going to continue to fight, and hopefully things end up falling our way.’’

— Miami spent most of the game in advantageous field position for a lot of reasons, one of them being that the Raiders punting game continued to struggle.

Shane Lechler had a 26.8 net punting average, a far cry from the team’s average of 41.0.

“We’re not netting 41 because of what we’re doing right now. The last three games have been a pretty big letdown for our punt team,’’ Lechler said. “That’s on me. I’ll take the blame for it. I’ve been around this thing long enough. Maybe I need a little more hang time, a little more something.’’

– One of the more striking postgame sites was Rock Cartwright, bent over in his chair, despondent over having missed a chance to block a Brandon Fields punt. It happened on Miami’s first possession of the fourth quarter, with both Cartwright and Fields stunned that the kick somehow got off.

Fields even turned around, expecting to see the ball headed the other way.

Cartwright was fighting back tears as he spoke with reporters.

“I put this game on me because a blocked punt changes the whole momentum of the game and gives us momentum,’’ Cartwright said. “I wasn’t accountable to my teammates to today. I just feel I let the team down. Let the special teams coach down. They put a lot of trust in me. So put this one on me.’’

Said linebacker and special teamer Sam Williams: “He dove past it. He could have just tackled the punter he got there so quick.’’

Sounds as if cornerback Chris Johnson could be out at least another week with a groin strain, meaning it will be another week of Walter McFadden, Jeremy Ware or both.

“(I’m) doing rehab and everything I’m supposed to be doing so I don’t want to end up doing something that goes against the trainers so, until they tell me that really, everything is back to normal, I probably won’t be able to (play),’’ Johnson said.

With Johnson out, Nnamdi Asomugha was forced to play on a bad ankle and gave up four catches for 65 yards plus a holding penalty. McFadden gave up six receptions for 113 yards _ five of them third down conversions _ and also had a holding penalty.

Unlike defenders on the front seven, cornerbacks must be much closer to optimum health to be effective.

“It causes so much torquing and running,’’ Johnson said. “I mean, to me, every play you almost have to run a 100-yard dash. So it’s hard if you have any kind of hamstring, quads, anything like that, as a receiver or a DB to go out there and play. Ankle. It’s just hard to do.”

Johnson’s advice to McFadden was the same as Asomugha.

“I told him, ‘Keep working.’ As a DB, you’re going to get caught on. It’s just about, DB’s have to have a short-term memory,’’ Johnson said. “You get caught on, you can’t think about that play; you’ve got to worry about the next play.

“Because if you always sit in the past, you’re going to have a bad game. But this is just one game. He got in, got his feet wet. Now he knows what it is and it’s up to him this week to actually go in and prove all the critics wrong because right now they’re saying he can’t play. But he can play and that’s why he’s here.’’

— Wide receiver Louis Murphy has tried to remain as diplomatic as possible, but conceded the Raiders’ quarterback situation with Bruce Gradkowski and Jason Campbell has made things difficult in terms of continuity.

“Going back and forth, this isn’t high school,’’ Murphy said on CSN Bay Area Sunday. “It’s the pros and you gotta have timing with your quartrerback and spend time with that quarterback. But whatever coaches call that’s what we gotta go with and make it work.

Cable said after the game he didn’t think there would be much of an issue this week because it appeared Gradkowski would be out after re-injuring his right shoulder.

The Raiders coach meets with the media for his weekly press briefing at 2 p.m. . . .

• http://raiders.com A.B. Paine III

RaiderRockstar, Aig said he couldn’t wait to see the Raiders get killed.

• Dhidee99

YoungAmerican Says:
    November 29th, 2010 at 1:29 pm
    Maybe the Raiders should sign Bush to a long-term deal and rework DMac’s contract…

_______________________________________________________

I would Trade Bush to the Jets For John Conner and a 5th round pick

Aig said he couldn’t wait to see the Raiders get killed

***

ABP,

alright bro. I must have missed that

• Mistabrown

Tom Cable should be fired for the O-line play alone. Add to that his flip flopping on Qb’s and well….it is what it is.

The winner of Sundays game will be the Div champ. Do you want it Raiders?

DMAC makes this offense go. For whatever reason since the bye the running game has been MIA, if DMAC gets off on SD we will win & win the Div.

The end

• Thec07

SD put the beatdown on Indy last night without Vincent Jackson, Malcolm Floyd, Patrick Crayton, Buster Davis & Ryan Matthews.

++++++++++++++==

SD is an exstension of the QB…rivers as much as I hate to say it is playing like the best qb in the league…The most important thing is he has confidence
    that no atter who his WR’s are he can make it happen….I dont like him, but he is ballin….

• aig-raiders

RRS,

A voice of reason and why I like to converse with you. No worries. I just need to be disciplined in not getting sucked into idiotic posts.

• JHEMP50

The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    November 29th, 2010 at 12:57 pm
    Gradkowski did a fine job yesterday considering the circumstances. There’s nothing more he could have done. He was saddled with the most archaic game plan I’d ever seen. Looked like something we used in the ’80s. 10 yard comebacks, lol. No crosses, no RB short out patterns, no RB hitches, no TE hitches, nothing to get to those 3rd and short situations, build drives. It’s obvious Al set Bruce up to fail.

_______________________________________________________

RMR, it’s posts like this that have me convinced you have one set of grandparents. It’s painfully obvious you’ve never played a down of football in your life. You complaining about routes? Cuz you saw all of them on every play? really, RMR, really?

Let me explain this to you: The team DID try all the plays you’re suggesting, it just didn’t work. the WCO was in full effect for the first quarter, but our O-line got mollywopped so the timing was screwed up.

In the second half, the situation dictated our playcalling. here’s how it works:

-The raiders spent most of the second half down by 9 or 12. Down that much in the second half of a game, you’d go for a quick score followed by a time managing drive resulting in a lead change. Since our run game was stuffed, quick score=LONG PASSES, moron.

We had no choice but go go with the deep ball- Which Bruce can’t do. not that Campbell would have done any better, but he’s more likely to overthrow those passes; not to mention Jacoby Ford saved Grads from a third INT.

You’re obviously a know-nothing troll. do us all favor- find a small, dark corner and end it. /argument

• ArchiveTony

I wonder.
    How many people in here have bought a blank jersey, and just hung on to it, waiting for a player to excel, so you can jump on the bandwagon?

how many here have bought THREE BLANK JERSEYS, WAITING FOR A BANDWAGON TO JUMP ON?

anyone?

noone at all?

I mean except aig??

• http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ KoolKell

Grads vs Campbell, 24/7 in here.

I think Russell is better than both of them. I’d like to see him come back to the Raider bench.

***

AT, coutn me in!

Danny Southwick, Travis Goethel & Johnnie Lee Higgins :)

• aig-raiders

I said I can’t wait for the Steelers to expose JC for the Fraud that he is. Get your facts straight.

• ArchiveTony

# aig-raiders Says:
    November 29th, 2010 at 1:43 pm

RRS,

============
    in other words, you need a parental figure to get you out of your little tantrums?
    little kick in the ass?
    someone to send you to your room?

well, why didn’t you just say so?

now go clean the bathroom, and come back and tell me what you’ve learned.

• ArchiveTony

RaiderRockstar Says:
    November 29th, 2010 at 1:47 pm

***

AT, coutn me in!

Danny Southwick, Travis Goethel & Johnnie Lee Higgins
    ==============
    funny.
    in it’s way

Tony,

McFadden, Huff & CJ37 already getting some love from Raider Nation this year.

HOLLA! who called it?

Aig said he couldn’t wait to see the Raiders get killed

***

ABP,

alright bro. I must have missed that
    ===================
    aig is like al.
    was happy to lose if he could say ‘told ya so’.

that’s whack

• YoungAmerican

Hate to break it to the “Raiders can’t develop a QB” crowd, but these days the only way you find a guy who can perform like Phillip Rivers is through the draft.

Outside of the draft, the Raiders’ options are:

Carson Palmer
    – Hasn’t shown he can get it done, even with elite WRs and a slightly better offensive line and running game than Oakland’s. Turnover and injury prone.

Vince Young
    – Shows flashes of brilliance, but is also injury prone and immature. But Bud Adams loves him and won’t let him go.

Kevin Kolb
    – Plenty of upside, but can he look nearly as good behind the Raiders’ offensive line with limited weaponry (no Jackson, Maclin, Avant, McCoy…)? Can the Raiders afford to give up two second round picks to get him?

Ryan Fitzpatrick
    – Came out of nowhere this year, getting it done with Lee Evans (underrated WR) and a rookie. Very little help from his running game. But is his performance a mirage? Will Buffalo even consider letting him go at the end of the season in favor of Luck or Locker? That remains to be seen.

And then, the trash heap:
    - Troy Smith
    - Josh Johnson
    - Tyler Thigpen
    - Chris Redman

Considering all those options? I’d much rather see Ponder, Mallett, Enderle or Devlin come aboard next season and sit behind Campbell for a little while. They’ll only cost one pick instead of trade compensation, they’ll get to work with Hue (doubt Hue is going anywhere after this season – he’s likely first in line for the HC job), and it allows the Raiders to focus on OL and WR in free agency and the rest of the draft.

• ArchiveTony

# Dhidee99 Says:
    November 29th, 2010 at 1:50 pm

ArchiveTony Says:
    November 29th, 2010 at 1:45 pm
    I wonder.

anyone?

noone at all?

I mean except aig??

———————————————————

I Did!!! So What
    ============
    really? you bought THREE BLANK JERSEYS, and are holding onto them, waiting for a bandwagon to jump on?

speaks for itself

• jmcclain

Can’t believe this blog is waisting time talking about who is better at QB. They both suck none of them are good none of them give us a better chance to win. Get a clue.

• aig-raiders

I like to have jerseys of players that I actually saw play on TV. There are other great Raiders like Hendricks, Tatum, etc. But I’ve only followed since 1983. Oh and I’m not a believer in wearing another man’s last name on my back.

So excuse me if I prefer to wear jerseys of guys that I can actually tell a story about and see play. Are you jealous? You sound like you are.

Tony,

where can you buy blank Raider jerseys anyways?

the Galt flea market?

thats where I used to get my socks 2 for $5

• aig-raiders

It’s called being smart with your money idiot. You can have blank jerseys and customized for less than $75 or pay full price for $250 on nfl.com. Get a clue.

• http://raiders.com A.B. Paine III

Aig, that’s hilarious! I can’t believe you have three blank jerseys!

• big pep

——————————————————- yeah blame the q.b. when your sorry asss cant get open and when you do, you drop the ball. how bout all the wideouts on this team start watching j.ford in practice and grow some fucn baalllssss, and make a play when it matters.

I’m not a believer in wearing another man’s last name on my back.

***

me neither, but mostly because I’m cheap and players switch teams all the time – or underacheive in Oakland

tell you what. I wouldn’t have been wanting to wear a Nnamdi jersey a few times this year. DMAC & Zmiller have been invisable the past 2 weeks

might as well get a custom jersey that says “FART KING” on the back or something…

• aig-raiders

RRS,

There are authentic real Raiders procut jerserys on ebay right now for less than $40. You just need to know what to do with it and where to get the stuff to customize it.

• YoungAmerican

These Raider WRs need to learn when to come back to the ball. As bad as the QB play has been, they’re certainly not helping either guy out much.

This is why I advocate taking Michael Floyd if he’s still there when the Raiders pick in the second round. He’s a “possession” guy with good speed and size, and knows how to make plays for his QB. Plays smart, and unlike some of the divas out there knows when to keep his mouth shut and do his job.

• big pep

Murphy, just another dumbasss from the s.e.c. who thinks they seen it all and run there mouth, and flat out suc.

• aig-raiders

Murphy is a no show this year. What a disappointment.

***

sweet!

I should get one that says “Podunk Daddy” and wear it to the Raider game in KC, Week 17 if I end up going

• http://raiders.com A.B. Paine III

Why do you need more than one jersey anyways? I’m perfectly happy with my #42 Ronnie Lott jersey I got for Christmas in the early 90s. Typical American wastefulness.

• http://raiders.com A.B. Paine III

I’m going to get one of those $40 jerseys and put Aig-Raiders on the back when I go to a Raider game next season.

my buddy in CA has like 20 Raider jerseys.

He even has a Seabass jersey. I would have burned that sucker after the Arizona game!

• big pep

just looked up michael floyd, and if hes the guy from N.D. i already like him. big dude, and the very fact that he plays at N.D. tells me hes not a dumbass.

when I go to a Raider game next season

***

ABP, are you gonna tailgate with BAUCE & BOB?

I’m pretty sure you can find Hwnrdr, Dirt Lot & Dell there too

• raidermarty

The dhb experiment will probably work itself out anyway.Ford continues to impress while dhb just keeps working himself into oblivion. The impressive thing about Ford is that he just keeps finding ways to make plays. the stars have to be aligned just right for dhb to make a catch. Man if we just had a decent qb to throw to this guy he would really shine

• http://raiders.com A.B. Paine III

RaiderRockstar Says:
    November 29th, 2010 at 2:12 pm
    when I go to a Raider game next season

***

ABP, are you gonna tailgate with BAUCE & BOB?

I’m pretty sure you can find Hwnrdr, Dirt Lot & Dell there too
    ———————-
    Hell yeah! In fact, maybe I will get an Albert Bigelow Paine jersey so they know who I am.

• The Iceman Cometh

hey can anyone pull up the stats comparing Ford to DHB. I think even with his tenure with the Raiders Ford has to be close to surpassing him stat wise.
    Second, Ford you deserved that TD, wow what a catch and the agility that was no gimme TD and if Grads could have gotten you the ball the second time around you would have had 2.
    I think DHB had a 12 yard end around and Ford not only had the K.O. return for 7 but 4 catches 106 and a TD…cut DHB after the season, his new position should be either equipment manager or play the Left Out position…
    One Nation…Raider Nation

• http://www.aldavissucks.blogspot.com The Real MaddenRaider

Jerry and CAble are going at it!!!!

Turn to Comcast now, you guys, hurry!!!!!

• big pep

the only problem with d.h.b. is that we drafted him way to early, the dude shows up and “he works hard every day” its hard to call him a loser or a bust when it looks like he tries, but at this stage hes completely out of his league. BIGGEST FUCN PROBLEM IMO IS SANJAY WHAT EVER HIS NAME IS WHO CANT COACH A FUCN PEE WEE W.R.

• http://www.aldavissucks.blogspot.com The Real MaddenRaider

Jerry totally pissed Cable off. He basically said the same things to Cable that he posted yesterday, about the Raiders being stupid with the QB charade. Cable got t’d. Cable asked him, “How does this affect your personal life?” whoa!!! Conference just ended and Cable walked off pissed.

• YoungAmerican

What impressed me most about Michael Floyd is that earlier this season, the new ND coach Brian Kelly called him out by saying “I really didn’t think he was all that good.” Floyd didn’t get pissy and throw a fit, he didn’t quit on his coach, he just went out on the field and proved himself to be the best WR on the team and a huge offensive weapon.

He was a perfect fit for Charlie Weis’ pro-style offense, but the spread offense Brian Kelly implemented was a waste of his talents. Still, no complaining from Floyd. Just production. That’s what I like to see in a big-time #1 receiver.

• http://www.aldavissucks.blogspot.com The Real MaddenRaider

You guys just missed a lively presser. Jerry went after Cable for that QB switch, how the Raiders’ handled it, Cable clearly got pissed and called Jerry out.

• http://www.aldavissucks.blogspot.com The Real MaddenRaider

Romo just dissed Cable, too. Said it’s hard for him to believe that nobody asked Cable about who would start at QB.

• Thec07

The Iceman Cometh Says:
    November 29th, 2010 at 2:15 pm
    One Nation…Raider Nation

++++++++++++++++++

I have been hard on DHB but I am not going to give up on him. DHB sould be in the game with JFORD as the opposition will roll coverage to JFORD as opposed to DHB. This sets up good for DHB to start having a bigger impact. I am not sure we are using any offensive weopons right at this point…

• kokomo

How was the presser? Can’t wait to hear more details and also from our man, Jerry himself.

• http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=eb53t3&s=5&hid=3&tag=my+pool Lynn from Snot

Its time for Cable to work them out in full pads

• big pep

johnny lee, heyward bey, louis murphy, chaz schilens, all completely useless garbage because of sanjay lala. at what point do you look at this guy and say, man you suck so go back to whatever you were doing.

• Thec07

big pep Says:
    November 29th, 2010 at 2:18 pm

+++++++++++

ROFLMAO….Big PEP what up Mayne??? You sound like you are about to blow some ish up…..

• http://raiders.com A.B. Paine III