Playoffs are only motivation necessary

Notes from the post-practice press briefing by Raiders coach Tom Cable:

— Cable’s message to the fans and media is the Raiders are still operating as if they’re in the playoff race, so much so that no extra motivation need be found anywhere.

No need to worry about the Raiders being overconfident after laying a 59-14 beating on Denver on Oct. 24. Or about the Broncos raising up and playing spoiler.

“We have been so focused about this opportunity that we have, and we feel like it slipped away from us on Sunday,’’ Cable said. “It’s over, we have to move beyond it and so it hasn’t been about those kinds of things.

“It’s been about staying true to the opportunity. We need some help now, but we really can control whether we’re ready for it to happen by winning football games. So our approach has been to go after this Denver game like nothing before and let it rip. That can be our only thought process right now. ‘’

— No public diagnosis yet on the left foot of Rolando McClain, an issue which kept him out of practice Wednesday.

“We’re working on it all the time,’’ Cable said. “He’s here rehabbing all the time. It is improving. So we’re hopeful we’re going to get some work done here pretty quick.’’

Also missing practice were wide receiver Johnnie Lee Higgins (ankle), cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha (ankle) and defensive tackle Richard Seymour (knee). Those were limited were wide receiver/return specialist Nick Miller (ankle), tackle Khalif Barnes (lower back) and quarterback Kyle Boller (quad).

Tight end Zach Miller (foot, leg) and cornerback Chris Johnson (groin) were listed as having participated fully.

Asomugha and Seymour’s conditions are not expected to threaten their availability against Denver. If Higgins can’t play, Nick Miller would return punts.

Quarterback Jason Campbell, who has had three stingers this season, including one in each of the last two games, was asked not to address the condition before his media session but not listed on the injury report.

“This was the least of any issue before it,’’ Cable said. “For him wanting to go back in the game tells me he was O.K. and there’s been no lingering effects from it. ‘’

— Although the Broncos were strictly a passing team when they last met the Raiders, they’ve attempted to run the ball more under interim coach Eric Studesville, featuring second-year back Knowshon Moreno.

Although Studesville has named Kyle Orton the starter, the rookie Tim Tebow is expected to play _ it’s just a question of how much.

“We’re preparing and are up to speed on that,’’ said Cable, noting the Raiders use a running back on the scout team to simulate formations with Tebow.

— Cable made it a point to make a request for fan support over the last two weeks.

“We have two games here back to back, and the fact that we’re still in it, we need a little help, but the fact that we’re still in it, I think the fans can appreciate that fact, that the Oakland Raiders have something that they’re still playing for here at the end of the year,’’ Cable said. “So we’re excited, we hope that we have a great crowd here to the next two weeks.’’

— Asked specifically about the five safety formation that was victimized against Jacksonville for a 48-yard touchdown pass from David Garrard to Jason Hill, Cable was asked if using Stanford Routt or Chris Johnson (assuming Asomugha was out to rest his ankle) wouldn’t have been a better option than going with all safeties.

“We really hadn’t practiced that. We practiced all week doing that because of injury, because of those conflicts there,’’ Cable said. “ Michael (Huff) has played corner in the nickel, so you really have the right guy doing it, it’s just whether or not you execute it.’’

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• Norco Bob

I dont get it,…rooting for the Chargers,…even if it means killing our playoff hopes,..I dont get it… smmfh

• J Hill

Hair?

Who needs hair?

J 2 CLEAN!!!!!!

• Norco Bob

Its true,..brian was the only dude in coliseum with arms crossed when Rice was scorin touchdowns,..actually looked disgusted about it,…was funny,… BAUCE!

• lefty12

The whiners will lose tonight and I can’t say it will upset me.I’m rooting for Cincy next week and the donkeys in week 17.PHUCK the whiners.

• Bauce 2 Clean

# Just Fire Baby Says:
    December 16th, 2010 at 11:47 am

J don’t have any hair??

When I met him he had a hat on.

Bummer, good thing he sowed up that southern gal prior to male pattern baldness kicking in.
    *****************

LOLOLOLOL

• Bauce 2 Clean

# J Hill Says:
    December 16th, 2010 at 11:49 am

Hair?

Who needs hair?

J 2 CLEAN!!!!!!
    ***************************

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA i dig mayne!

• Bauce 2 Clean

# lefty12 Says:
    December 16th, 2010 at 11:51 am

************************************

Lefster and I dont see eye to eye on all things but he sure is on point with this…….Beer is raised in honor of this post……post of the year

• Bauce 2 Clean

# Norco Bob Says:
    December 16th, 2010 at 11:49 am

*************************

Bob our playoff hopes are very much alive……SD has two road games in cold weather….it is very difficult for warm weather teams to win two games back to back in cold weather on the road….we dont need SF help

• Bauce 2 Clean

# Norco Bob Says:
    December 16th, 2010 at 11:50 am

*************************************

Yep and we sure got what we deserved in the end too…the good Lord dont like ugly

If SF wins tonight….we lose on Sunday….trust me on this yall

***

the only chances we have to lose against the Donks are if Moreno goes buckwild on our Run D or Jason Campbell gets injured and Kyle Boller plays the entire 2nd half

I doubt see either happening!

• J Hill

—————————————————–

Don’t get it twisted.

I don’t walk around with a hole in my natural.

• Norco Bob

Actually,..Dave joined you in that Rice treatment…lol…he still says to this day we are forever cursed because of Rice signing. Damn.

• HairyBush

Bauce 2 Clean Says:
    December 16th, 2010 at 11:46 am
    # BigTed707 Says:
    December 16th, 2010 at 11:44 am

If SF wins tonight….we lose on Sunday….trust me on this yall
    ____________________________________
    If SF wins tonight, it will be because SD played like S, and has nothing to do with us.

JUST WIN BABY!
    **************************

Ok fine think that if you want…..people thought I was crazy on sunday in this blog when I said in 3rd Qtr the team would lose…..was i right? Granted I wasnt happy but was I?

The Raiders need to be on their toes man…..an SF win will bring complacency…..trust this
    ———————
    Bauce, we will have to revisit this conversation Monday. I think even if 9ers win tonite it will not make the Raiders complacent, the Raiders will win regardless. If I’m wrong I will man up. That being said it may be a moot point because I have trouble seeing a SF win today. Go Raiders!

• Bauce 2 Clean

# J Hill Says:
    December 16th, 2010 at 11:56 am

—————————————————–

Don’t get it twisted.

I don’t walk around with a hole in my natural.
    **************************************

Come on Jheezy we all know you rocking the Uncle Phil at the house

• Bauce 2 Clean

# Norco Bob Says:
    December 16th, 2010 at 11:57 am

**********************

Show me proof otherwise

• lefty12

B,nothing wrong with disagreeing at times.At least we keep it civil.But on this we agree 110%,although it wouldn’t bother me if cry me a Rivers was knocked out.

Come on Jheezy we all know you rocking the Uncle Phil at the house

***

LOL @ BAUCE!

• Bauce 2 Clean

# RaiderRockstar Says:
    December 16th, 2010 at 11:55 am

If SF wins tonight….we lose on Sunday….trust me on this yall

***

I doubt see either happening!
    ********************

If SF wins you will see it

• Bauce 2 Clean

JUST WIN BABY!
    **************************

———————
    *************************

SF wont win for sure

• Bauce 2 Clean

Anyhow Bauce gotta jet for a sec….i’ll be back…..see ya…JUST WIN….BAUCE!

• J Hill

ome on Jheezy we all know you rocking the Uncle Phil at the house

—————————————————–

I think I’d go Mr Brown before Uncle Phil.

if Tebow starts … Raiders by 10

if Orton starts … Raiders by 24

look what running QB’s Big Ben, Vince Young & David Garrard have done to us so far this year! Good thing we don’t play Philly in the next 3 weeks!

• lefty12

BTW,B,I was with you on the Rice thing.Never accepted him and wish we had never signed his sorry a$$.

• J Hill

I’m starting to think if VY can be successful in the NFL, why can’t Tebow?

The interim coach is looking to keep the job. Doubt he runs a guy out there against our defense that he feels doesn’t give him a chance to win.

Would love to see Orton cut and competer with Campbell here next year.

• Norco Bob

Pretty hard to believe a Raider fan actually wants Kyle Orotn brought here to compete,..a new low. Nice job dude.

• YoungAmerican

Yeah, I watched Orton with the Bears for a few years (I’m from Chicago), and the guy gets better every single year. Pretty accurate and has a good arm. He’s not going to be a guy who leads the team to Stabler-esque come-from-behind victories, but he’s definitely a competent leader, and is at least one of the top 16 QBs in the league.

• YoungAmerican

I still think the team can do better than the FA crop in the draft, though.

The Broncos have won their last two visits to Oakland, outscoring the Raiders 64-17. They are looking to avoid getting swept in the season series for the first time since 2002.

***

Cable better have this team FIRED UP at home on Sunday!

• Norco Bob

All of you can take Orton and stick him up your aassses.

• J Hill

Well I’d love to have Brady come in and compete, but it doesn’t sound like he’s being moved aside for a rookie project.

Orton is better than Gardowski and Boeller, so absolutely bring him in.

• Just Fire Baby

So the Vikings just signed Patrick Ramsey after IR’ing Tavaris.

Wonder if Jamarcus even got a phone call, and better question is was he awake at 1pm when they tried to call?

• Norco Bob

jhill,…have you ever watched a football game?…Madden video doesnt count.

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3ng4yHw2xk&feature=PlayList&p=E565EF0DE2F587FA&playnext= Raider75

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    December 16th, 2010 at 10:38 am

# Just Fire Baby Says:
    December 16th, 2010 at 10:31 am

Jason Campbell was known as a slow read type before he got here, has taken more sacks per game than Bruce did, and was lambasted by Solomon Wilcox for taking that sack at the end of the game.

His slow read issues are negated a little by his nimbleness and ability to move in the pocket, but ask anyone in the NFL Campbell’s biggest issue and you will get the same answer 9 out of 10 times.
    ===========================================================

It is also a fact that reads are slower when you are learning an offense. With time in the same system you are able to anticipate where everyone on the field will be. This is a well known fact.
    ………

Exactly what I was thinking when I read this.

Campbell needs more time. He hasn’t even had a full season yet.

• ibcode3

I’ve been amazed at all of the negative talk about how people on this blog. The continued singling out of individuals on the team, for not playing at an All-Pro level every play and every game. I remember the move back to Oakland and getting my tickets. I remembers the season to get to the Super Bowl. I watched Brooks running towards my section during the Super Bowl with the pick. I haven’t forgot all the losing season and tail-gating to this season. For the real Raiders fans on this blog. This season is a vast improvement since the Super Bowl lost.
    The people who talk about trading star players for maybe pick are fools. The teams is showing life and if you continually complain about QB/RB/OL/DL…etc. Find another team, you not a Raider fan. Just like in the past, I be at the game sunday and the following week, supporting the whole team.

• J Hill

Madden doesn’t count?

Then no, I haven’t seen a game before.

JFB,

who do you think the next QB signed before JaWalrus will be?

Joey Harrington
    Mike Teel
    D.J. Shockley
    Jeff Rowe
    Mike Reilly
    Gibran Hamdan
    Matt Gutierrez
    Brett Basanez

• J Hill

Bob,

Are you really telling me the Madden rankings are wrong?

Gardowski and Boeller are actaully better than Orton?

Or is it like B and the 9rs with you and the donkeys?

• Norco Bob

jhill,..youre an idiot,..not that Im breaking any news in here on that,..keep up the great work,…hopefully Orton will be in Napa this summer.

***

Ibcode3,

even Johnnie Lee Higgins?

my man!

• J Hill

——————————————————

Yeah, AIG has told me that before.

• Drixxel

+1 Ibcode3… I really think the fans can be the demise of a good team. Look at the A’s, perfect example. All the fans beg for new players and talk about the draft and free agency all the time. And to a fan watching from home and not getting involved, they are wondering why players are being cut and traded.

• Just Fire Baby

Just because you like a little competitive conversation on a message board, doesn’t mean you aren’t a “true” fan.

Cut that holier than thou BS out Ibcode3.

This isn’t MSNBC where everyone just nods in arguement all day.

Who wants to read, “I agree, great point JHill, right again Rockstar, hey great point BAUCE, get em next time JLH, keep working hard, aw shucks Carlisle another terrible block, keep fighting kid-o”.

Puke

• DKnight007

^^^^^^^^
    Great crowd for the Indy game yes….for the orange pony game this weekend in very crapPY weather?

Not so much. LOL

• PurpleDrank81

Can we pick up Colin Kaepernick and Austin Pettis in the draft PLEASE UNCLE AL

• HairyBush

Just Fire Baby Says:
    December 16th, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Cut that holier than thou BS out Ibcode3.

This isn’t MSNBC where everyone just nods in arguement all day.

Puke
    ———————–
    well said

• Drixxel

There’s a difference between calling a player on his crap than rooting for a team that doesn’t exist.

• Just Fire Baby

People really like to hit you with that “Do you even watch the games” jive don’t they Jhill?

I don’t agree, but I find it funny that 90% of the time it is directed at you.

Who wants to read, “I agree, great point JHill, right again Rockstar

***

JFB,

(raises hand)

I’m not opposed to that 2nd part! haha

• PurpleDrank81

Jason LaCanfora(however u spell his name) is saying that Hue will be the new head coach for Cincy next year