Jackson: I have the best job in football

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Thursday, December 16th, 2010 at 12:58 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Working from home today, but beat writer Steve Corkran was good enough to pass along some of today’s interview subjects, which included offensive coordinator Hue Jackson.

Some highlights:

On the Yahoo Sports! story which detailed tension between himself and coach Tom Cable

“Just what Tom said, we laughed about it. I’m really surprised. I don’t know where this stuff comes from. We all have a pretty good working relationship. I have known Tom here longer than anybody that’s on staff, other than Mike Waufle, because I worked with those guys before. There’s no truth to it. It’s amazing how things get out there like that.”

On whether his relationship with Cable is `typical’ between a coordinator and head coach

“Maybe it’s a little different because we have a prior relationship. We can talk about other things that happen along the lines of football, along the lines of life, a little bit different than with somebody that you don’t know.”

Whether he’s interested in being a head coach somewhere

“Let me say this: I have the best job in football right here . . I like what I do, I like our players. I like the people I’m around every day. I would be wrong to say that everybody who’s in my position doesn’t want to have that opportunity someday to go be the best they can be. That’s what I want to do. That’s what we all want to do. But I love what I’m doing right now. I’ve got three games to, hopefully, earn a fourth game here. That’s the most important thing I’ve got going.

“My mind is so far away from what’s going to happen down the road because I have a great job here, with great people, a great owner, a great city. I’m enjoying it.”

What if someone calls in the offseason

“I would say if someone calls, I’m not going to tell you I’m going to say no because it depends on what the situation is. But I’m not going to tell you I’m going to say yes, either, because I’ve really enjoyed what’s happening here with Oakland Raider football.”

On why Darren McFadden’s use is mostly restricted to the backfield

“I think a great runner likes to be able to look at the defense and put the ball in his hand and play . . . by putting him out there (as a receiver) now people know all (he) can do is go catch it as opposed to being in the backfield where he can run it and catch it. It gives us an advantage keeping him back tghere also so the defense doesn’t know exactly what we’re trying to do.”

On whether Jason Campbell’s development was helped because Bruce Gradkowski is on IR

“I don’t think that has anything to do with it. These guys are pro football player and there is pressure from every situation . . . everybody handles different stresses differently . . I think just the element of time, knowing who you’re playing with, getting to know them better, spending more time with those guys and then just going out and playing more consecutive games with those players over and over.”

The production of Darrius Heyward-Bey

“In order for Darren to do what he’s doing, it means somebody better be running downfield to get some of these guys up off us a little bit. I think Darrius has done his job. It’s unfortunate but I think everybody has the expectation that he’s supposed to catch seven or eight balls in every game. I don’t think that’s what it’s all about . . .

“This guy was a year ago, was ridiculed, honestly, for dropping balls. I don’t see that at all. We can all agree to that, right? That’s not happening. This guy is catching balls in games. He has more catches than he did a year ago and he’s playing with confidence. I see improvement. There’s no question we want to see the big jump and I think that’s coming. I want him to have that eight-catch game for 224 yards and three touchdowns. I think that’s just around the corner.”

• http://www.wix.com/GGEden/ggeden GG

A lot of people are down on DHB, but I haven’t lost faith.

We’ll have the most talented young WR corp in the NFL next year if Hue stays here as HC, and our pass-blocking excels.

Murphy-DHB-Ford has a very high ceiling.

• Norco Bob

Id rather have Kirk playing his aasss off in december, then an underachieving rookie sitting out with a fake injury.

Yeah Hue of course you have the best job in football! you can constantly screw up week after week and not be worried about being fired but yet prolly promoted

***

TRUTH. Cable backs every questionable play call made by him or Marshall!

blames “player execution”

• Norco Bob

DHB?…most fans have forgotten about him, not even in their thoughts,..oh by the way, he never enters the thoughts of opposing teams defensive coordinators.

• http://www.tedhendricks.com/Ted_vs_Montana.jpg BigTed707

# RaiderRockstar Says:
    December 16th, 2010 at 1:22 pm

McLains been a pretty big disappointment,…couple plays here and there, but average at best.

Kirk Morrisons playin a hell of alot better in Jax this year then McLain here,…not even close.

***

Jhill, JFB, BAUCE, Ted, Mistic, YA here?

thoughts ???
    __________________________________
    Disagree, I believe that their production is similar – I give ‘em a push.

Capt. Kirk gave up some big plays last week. Raiders got 152y on the ground. Stand-up guy – I wish him the best.

I’m still rootin’ for the new kid – even tho’ he got the GOUT. He needs some fish oils, and to lay-off the rich foods.

• Norco Bob

McLain isnt hurt.

• http://www.wix.com/GGEden/ggeden GG

Opposing DC’s factor out DHB simply by focusing on crushing our pass-protection schemes.

If we solidified the pocket like NE constantly gives Brady 5-10 secs, opposing DC’s would be scared of DHB…and Ford and Murphy. And Dmac would then have obscene amounts of yards per carry too.

• Bauce 2 Clean

Kirk was a wimp out here Bob….too many malls and big time shopping stores out here….in Jax there is nothing so he can focus on being a man for once

• Bauce 2 Clean

DHB? Who is that?….sounds like an STD

• 504 Raider

RaiderRockstar Says:
    December 16th, 2010 at 12:20 pm
    JFB,

who do you think the next QB signed before JaWalrus will be?

Joey Harrington
    Mike Teel
    D.J. Shockley
    Jeff Rowe
    Mike Reilly
    Gibran Hamdan
    Matt Gutierrez
    Brett Basanez

————————————————————————————————————–

My pick would be the current freshman QB at the High School any of you guys went to.

• Norco Bob

Thats probably true Bauce…Iv been to Jax,..sucks.

McLain isnt hurt

***

ROMAC read my comments on this blog and got his feelings HURT. he’s that soft

• http://raiders.com A.B. Paine III

GG Says:
    December 16th, 2010 at 1:27 pm
    A lot of people are down on DHB, but I haven’t lost faith.

Murphy-DHB-Ford has a very high ceiling.
    ————————-
    source

• Just Fire Baby

Kirk didn’t even play MLB for two years, so in my book McClain is already way ahead of schedule to Kirk.

Plus Kirk was 23 when he entered the league, McClain wasn’t even 21 when he was drafted.

BTW, the Jags in 2009 had the 19th ranked rush D and 23rd ranked total D. 2010 there are 18th against the run and 26th total. So basically they are one spot better against the run, and worse overall.

While the Raiders in 2009 were 26th overall and 29th against the run, and in 2010 they are 14th overall and 26th against the rush. Basically improved a few spots against the run (not having McClain last week cost us a few spots) and improved drastically overall.

The numbers simply support that the Jaguars are no better with Kirk, and the Raiders are much better with McClain.

• J Hill

thoughts ???

—————————————————–

Does this guy even watch the games?

***

Kirk was drafted in RD3 and EARNED a job. McClain was handed the MLB job due to draft status and the Def doesn’t miss a beat when Ricky Brown is in the game!

JFB = Danny “Hammerhead” Clark hater?

solid MLB for 2 years before Kirk beat him out imo

• Just Fire Baby

Snowing in Albuquerque!!!

• http://no_knuckleheads! 909RaiderLifer

Hue has Bekins on speed dial…

Does this guy even watch the games?

***

LOL!

Bobby is AT all the home games, which means he’s seen Kirk Morrison dominate a football game at least 40 times in person live from the Black Hole

• http://blackhillsphoto.com/sturgis-weddings/black-hills-weddings.jpg Dakota

However, if DHB has that big of game it means Hue is not doing his job….playing to the strength of the team….running the ball!

• 504 Raider

On why Darren McFadden’s use is mostly restricted to the backfield

————————————————————————————————————–

Where was this statement in the Summer? There were many NASA employees on here this Summer saying we should split DMAC out wide and run Bush.

• http://raiders.com Raider Ray

Once Cable is gone, and Hue is our coach, this team is going to blow the roof off the sucka. Hue will implement Al’s deep passing game to better effect. We will see DHB, Murphy, and Ford excel. I think once we get another quality CB, the defense can play man to man Raider style.

2011 Oakland Raiders with Hue Jack at coach = 11-5

• http://blackhillsphoto.com/sturgis-weddings/black-hills-weddings.jpg Dakota

Man,

I shouldn’t have had those two glasses of wine at lunch……wheeew

• GoodOle00
  • inonewordraider

Hue’s a little better with the oratory skills than Cable

• http://raiders.com Raider Ray

———————-
    Are you crazy? Ricky Brown got schooled last week. McClain’s absence probably cost us the game

• Just Fire Baby

How did we not miss a beat with Ricky Brown in the game?

Did you even watch the game on Sunday? Two hundred yard rushers in the same game.

That hasn’t happened since Kirk Morrison was our MLB.

And the Chiefs rushed for 65 yards in the second half of our earlier game, and 39 in the first half with McClain in there.

• http://www.aldavissucks.blogspot.com The Real MaddenRaider

MB, RRS, Dakota…not a good day, fellers.

WSJ poll has Mama Grizzly losing to the champion 55%-33% if election were today.

• http://raiders.com Raider Ray

GoodOle00 Says:
    December 16th, 2010 at 1:40 pm
    ——————-
    That b*tch better be scared. He’s marching directly into Satan’s lair.

• Norco Bob

Sorry wannaberocker,..I dont sit in the black hole,..Im in the other endzone,..but we wont let the facts get in the way of your story.

• J Hill

I shouldn’t have had those two glasses of wine at lunch……wheeew

——————————————————

Sounds like you need a BRUT face slap!

• http://raiders.com Raider Ray

What’s up MR, you a believer yet?

• Norco Bob

This just in:…the election isnt today. lol

• inonewordraider

Bauce 2 Clean Says:
    December 16th, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Ouch

• http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ KoolKell

I was at a party with Eric Frampton’s dad last nite. A DB drafted in the 5th round by the Raiders a few years back, now with Minnesota.

Spoke highly of Al Davis, btw.

He says the Raiders gave his kid a book about the history of Al Davis when he was drafted. And went on to speak glowingly of Al Davis and his contributions to the league

I thought to myself “Yep, it only about Al.”

• TheStork

SI writer redoes the first round of the draft. Has us take Dez Bryant instead of Rolando, but then he has Lamarr, Jacoby, and Veldheer all get taken in the first along with Rolando. Makes the draft look good, although we all knew that already.