Raiders will avoid scoreboard watching Sunday

To know, or not to know?

At some point in the moments leading up to the kickoff of Sunday’s game against the Indianapolis Colts, the Raiders will learn if they’re already out of the playoff race based on the Titans-Chiefs game in Tennessee.

Or still in it.

Raiders coach Tom Cable knows the information will be available but has no plans to mention it, even if the Chiefs lose.

“I wouldn’t bring it up one way or the other,’’ Cable said Wednesday at his weekly press briefing. “The focus needs to be on Indy.’’

Quarterback Jason Campbell won’t be watching the scoreboard.

“I wouldn’t want to know. It’s not going to make us play any harder or any less. This is the game, this is what we get paid to do,’’ Campbell said. “You should try to give it 100 percent regardless and just go out and play extremely hard.

“So, I don’t think it should matter to us either way or not. We just got to go out and play as hard as we can play.”

Shane Lechler recoiled when asked if he would avoid any news about the Chiefs.

“Hell no, I’m gonna’ watch. I watch every game on Sunday,’’ Lechler said before conceding it was a strange situation.

“That’s one thing we can’t control and we all know that,’’ Lechler said. “We wish we could, but we can’t. And I think it’s important. Whether if they win or lose, no matter what, if we can turn this around and win these last two, we’ll have swept the division, which I think is a big statement, big turning point for this organization heading into next season.’’

Cornerback Stanford Routt was ambivalent about hearing the Chiefs score.

“If somebody walked up to me before the game and said, hey, Stan, Kansas City did this or did that, I wouldn’t necessarily shun the information away, but I know it’s not going to have any effect on how we play on Sunday,’’ Routt said.

More news, notes and observations Wednesday:

– Right tackle Langston Walker (concussion), defensive tackle Richard Seymour (hamstring) and punter Shane Lechler (hamstring) did not practice. Those who were limited were cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha (ankle), wide receiver Johnnie Lee Higgins, wide receiver Nick Miller (ankle) and cornerback Chris Johnson (groin). Safety Mike Mitchell was listed as having sore ribs, but practiced without limitations.

Walker’s situation will likely not be clear until Friday, with Mario Henderson starting if he can’t play. Cable said he was concerned about Seymour’s availability but noted, “It’s still early.’’

— Once upon a time (OK, it was Sept. 10, 2000), Raiders middle linebacker Greg Biekert deciphered the audible calls of Peyton Manning at halftime of a game Oakland trailed at halftime 24-7.

With Biekert taking to the chalkboard and tipping off the defense, the Raiders stuffed the Indianapolis offense, scored five consecutive touchdowns and left with a 38-31 win.

Biekert is now on staff as an assistant linebackers coach, ostensibly with some advice for rookie middle linebacker Rolando McClain.

“Sure, it can be helpful, sharing that wisdom with Rolando and the rest of the players,’’ Cable said. “Ultimately, it will have to be us figuring it out and solving it as we go.’’

— Campbell was in agreement with Cable’s assessment Monday that it would be a mistake to go so run heavy because of the presence of Peyton Manning that the Raiders miss chances for big plays in the passing game.

“We have to run our offense. I think we’re a pretty good offense,’’ Campbell said. “We can’t get away from what we do really well to get us out of synch. We understand we’re facing a great quarterback, a guy that’s been in the league for a long time and has been a great quarterback for many years.

“But we can’t get so much into that where we keep ourselves from doing what we do best. It’s a situation where we’ve just got to, it’s going to come down to just playing football and protecting the ball.’’

— Practice squad punter Danny Baugher is preparing himself as if he’s Kyle Boller.

“I kind of picture myself as the backup quarterback preparing to play, as If I’m going into the game,’’ Baugher said. “But things are still to be determined at this point.’’

Baugher played for the Las Vegas Locomotives, which won the UFL championship under Jim Fassel, the father of Raiders special teams coordinator John Fassel.

— Cable spent three games in a Colts uniform as an offensive lineman in 1987 when the NFL used replacement players during the strike.

Cable was already starting his coaching career at Idaho but gave it one more shot.

“Most every one of us had been cut prior to that, so that kind of ended your hopes of being a professional football player,’’ Cable said. “The strike gave you one more opportunity.’’

— The NFL can go until next Tuesday before declaring a Sunday night game for Week 17. Chicago-Green Bay and Oakland-Kansas City could both be games that could be moved to the evening slot which is left vacant on the original schedule.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• Nnamdi21

247. I started that whole Carson thing on here weeks ago…:)

• Just Fire Baby

I think Terrelle Pryor will not be earlier than a 4th round pick.

And he is nowhere near the athelete Tebow is, not even close. Tebow put up great combine numbers for a RB, some of the best ever for a QB (highest vertical leap of any QB ever and best 3 cone drill of any player EVER AY ANY POSITION).

I doubt any of Newton’s 40, vertical, 3-cone and bench press will be better than Tebow’s.

• SilverNBlackPA

Palmer’s done. Arm strength gone and decision making is horrible anymore. If he’d want to come here as a backup and not make noises about starting, fine. Otherwise, do not want.

I say it run it down Indy’s throat. DMac >>>>> MJD

• PurpleDrank81

Nmandi21……. MJD was really banged up and was running at 75%

• Just Fire Baby

I wouldn’t even kick the tires on Carson Palmer or Donovan McNabb.

Unless Campbell just face plants these last two games, he has earned the right to be the QB in 2011.

Than no system complaints, looking over his shoulder stuff, none of that.

• PurpleDrank81

Tebow ran like a 4.7 at the Combine…….Not very Impressive…..Haha Jason Campbell ran a 4.69

• Roch R

What we need is simply a possession reciever, someone who will attack the ball, and catch the 4-8 yrd routes.

We have the clear out WR – See DHB, Ford.

The hope that is Chaz Schillens, and what Murphy at times shows flash of is that possession reciever that wants the ball, that will go up and get the ball, a la Wes Welker (if only).

My biggest issue with Murphy is that at times it seems he’s only trying to get the Pass Interference call and not trying to get the ball. (Not to mention a few aligator arm plays)

Go get a blue collar, slow in the forty, guy that catches bricks for fun. That’s the missing ingredient IMO…

• Just Fire Baby

Tim Tebow ran a faster 20 yard shuttle than Jahvid Best and the best 60 yard shuttle of any RB, QB and every WR but 2.

He ran a faster 3 cone drill than Deon Sanders!!!

But since he is white, he doesn’t get considered a great athlete, while Terrelle Pryor is.

Nonsense!!!

• Roch R

One more thing, I need to go on the record here in Raider Land as saying I AM a Jason Campbell guy.

Yeah we all poke and prod, but I am declaring, I am going to attend JCamp U. I

He’s a magician out there, he sustains drives, and plays the PA perfectly which is why we are only going to get better with Jason Campbell at the helm.

He’s calm in the storm, and he knows the one truth that we all need to know….When it breaks down put it in McFadden’s hands.

(I still recall the look that McFadden gave boller on the 4 and 3 in Jax, McFadden was right there! And his look said “didn’t you get the memo, I’m the man around here” for that play alone, Boller should never see the field again as a Raider)

Jason Campbell is a GOOD qb, when was the last time the Raider nation could say we have a GOOD qb.

• Just Fire Baby

Tebow ran a 4.72 at the combine, Jason Campbell ran a 4.72 at the combine.

Campbell ran a 4.69 at his campus day, but those are biased. Jamarcus ran a 4.6 at his LSU day, lol.

• Roch R

Hey JFB, stop smoking Tebow’s w@ng, stop buying the hype, outside of a few plays the Raiders ATE him up.

And how long do you think he’ll be able to throw up those ducks before safeties around the league just start playing center field and pick’ing him steady.

Tebow is a wanker, stop the hype, stop buying the hype. Or you can choose to move to Denver and trade your wardrobe for a barrell, and some suspenders.

• Just Fire Baby

Jason Campbell is an average QB, and it has been awhile since we had an average QB, so I will hook my saddle to him in 2011.

19th in QB rating with #2 rushing attack screams mediocrity. What’s the guy with the #1 rushing attack (Cassel) doing with his first year in a new system?

#5 QB rating, 24 TD’s to 6 turnovers. That is a good QB.

Campbell is average, and I can live with average for now.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

# Just Fire Baby Says:
    December 23rd, 2010 at 12:17 pm

He ran a faster 3 cone drill than Deon Sanders!!!

Nonsense!!!
    ===============================================

is it always about race with you?

Please tebow is not the runner that pryor is. combine speed and football speed are two different things.

tebow is nowhwre near not even in the same catagory as Newton. newton is a btter qb hands down, and a better runner.

i know your on tebow’s nutz but give me a break.

• http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXj7I1RzLSE&feature=related exlaraiderseasonticketholder

Campbell sucks. Get over it!

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

# Just Fire Baby Says:
    December 23rd, 2010 at 12:26 pm

#5 QB rating, 24 TD’s to 6 turnovers. That is a good QB.

Campbell is average, and I can live with average for now.
    ==============================================

This is not cassels first year in that system or team, he was there with haley last year, also he has dwayne bowe for the second year in a row. just because you change coordiantors doesnt mean the system has changed very much.

JFB you sound like just another hater where Jc is concerned, just admit you dont like him. you only say you accept him so when he wins people dont blast you for being wrong.

• DKnight007

228.PurpleDrank81 Says:
    December 23rd, 2010 at 11:33 am
    If we could pick up Wiz,Pettis and Kaepernick I would wet myself

^^^^^^^^
    Yep! Those guys are FOOTBALL players who have the athletic skills and smarts to be big time contributors to the Raiders.

The team needs to use the draft template they used in last years draft and use that same formula for every draft. That way they can keep reloading legit talent.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

Tebow was throwing jump passes in the raiders game. jump passes? its bad whena point guard leaves his feet to pass, but a qb?!?!?!/

What a joke

• http://tobeornottobethatisthequestion.edu St. Jimmy

F TeBLOW!

Wonder if Campbell has Herrera deliver some of AD’s Depends to the locker room to change at half time. He seems to piss in his drawers during the first part of the game.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

cassel played for wiess in n.e so this is not his first year in that system! you cant compare his situation to jc, apples and oranges, sorry

• DKnight007

Palmer is done!

Would rather have Kolb!

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

Known jc haters club

aig, alex7, jmcclain, exlawhateveryournameis

272.Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    December 23rd, 2010 at 12:40 pm
    Known jc haters club

aig, alex7, jmcclain, exlawhateveryournameis

========================================
    LMFAO! Good one!

Not bad for a guy that spells the, tha. lol

• Just Fire Baby

Mistic1,

This is Cassell’s first year in the Charlie Wiess’s system.

If Hue Jackson leaves next year, will you consider 2011 not Jason Campbell’s first year in whatever system is in place?

• Just Fire Baby

Cassell with Weiss in New England?

Cassell was a sophmore in college when Weiss left.

• Just Fire Baby

********************************

Do you think the NFL draft will agree?

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

# Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    December 23rd, 2010 at 12:40 pm

Known jc haters club

aig, alex7, jmcclain, exlawhateveryournameis, JFb (closet hater)

• PurpleDrank81

I think Newton will be drafted before Tebow was drafted

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

# Just Fire Baby Says:
    December 23rd, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Cassell with Weiss in New England?

Cassell was a sophmore in college when Weiss left.
    =====================================================

Same system different coordinator

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

# Just Fire Baby Says:
    December 23rd, 2010 at 12:47 pm

********************************

Do you think the NFL draft will agree?
    ==================================================

I hope they dont and he falls to us, but yes I do think most people know that cam is far superior to your bust, i mean your boy teabag er tebow

• edward teach

239.SilverNBlackPA Says:
    December 23rd, 2010 at 11:52 am
    When it comes to corners this year, there’s Patrick Petersen and Prince Amukamara and then there’s everyone else. Both are probably top 10 picks.

Amukamara is basically Al’s wet dream of a corner, but he’ll be looooonnngggg gone.

********************************************************

I don’t know if anybody watched the game but Amukamara got schooled when Nebraska played OU in the Big 12 championship.

I don’t know about Peterson, but I watched Amukamara a couple of times this year just to see what the hype was about. I wasn’t all that impressed.

281.Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    December 23rd, 2010 at 12:49 pm
    # Just Fire Baby Says:
    December 23rd, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Cassell with Weiss in New England?

Cassell was a sophmore in college when Weiss left.
    =====================================================

Same system different coordinator
    ———————————————–
    Just admit u made a mistake! JC haters will forgive U! lol

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

# exlaraiderseasonticketholder Says:
    December 23rd, 2010 at 12:52 pm

281.Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    December 23rd, 2010 at 12:49 pm
    # Just Fire Baby Says:
    December 23rd, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Cassell with Weiss in New England?

Cassell was a sophmore in college when Weiss left.
    =====================================================

Same system different coordinator
    ———————————————–
    Just admit u made a mistake! JC haters will forgive U! lol
    ========================================================

LMAO!!!!! ooops, should have said wiess system

happy exlax

• DKnight007

228.PurpleDrank81 Says:
    December 23rd, 2010 at 11:33 am
    If we could pick up Wiz,Pettis and Kaepernick I would wet myself

^^^^^^^^

The team needs to use the draft template they used in last years draft and use that same formula for every draft. That way they can keep reloading legit talent!

• r8rwill

#227; yes bart is the best way to the game unless you can go with a limo full of hot ladies

• Just Fire Baby

If Hue leaves this year (could happen) and Campbell struggles to start next year, I’m sure many people will be banging on the whole another year another new system deal.

But in regards to Cassell, he gets the whole 6 degrees of seperation from OC treatment.

• Just Fire Baby

Cam Newton idolizes Tim Tebow.

Said so himself.

• PurpleDrank81

Yea because Tebow is making big bucks and throwin lame ducks

• Just Fire Baby

JFb (closet hater)

*************************************

I have stated that he has earned the right to be the QB in 2011 based upon his play this year.

I wouldn’t give him a contract extension, but give him his $6 million next year and see what he can do.

He has changed from a guy who plays well in the first half and than falls apart at the end of games, to a guy who gets off to slow starts but plays more of his game in the second half. This is a major improvement for him.

Still like to see him put together maybe 4 straight solid halves, before I can elevate him to anything beyond an average QB.

• r8rwill

i don’t see drafting wiz’s kid high, if we are lacking anything at center it is size to handle the big nose tackles, wiz doesn’t have that.. when you watch the replays, satele is always downfield blocking.. i think the weak link on our line is carlisle.

• RaiderDebo

Funny how people saw the same game last Sunday but came away with opposite opinions on how Tebow played. Other than the long run, I thought the guy looked horrible. I think he’d be a hell of an RB/FB/TE type though.

• Pingback: corporate