Colts had the winning look, Raiders did not

News, notes, quotes and observations from the Raiders’ 31-26 loss to the Indianapolis Colts Sunday at the Coliseum:

— Indianapolis is closing in on its eighth straight division title because of Peyton Manning, of course, but also because the Colts have had systems in football in place for a long time and play that way.

There isn’t a lot of difference between the talent on the Colts and Raiders, but unlike past years, when a lot of the Oakland talent was largely myth, you could even make the argument that the home team had the better players.

Indianapolis players are plug-ins for specific roles, and their execution makes up for anything they may lack in pure ability.

The Raiders found themselves unable to cope with the Colts adjustments Sunday, whether it was Peyton Manning recognizing the big nickel with Mike Mitchell immediately and switching pass plays to run plays, or the Indianapolis Cover 2 defense playing deep, allowing short completions and rallying up to make the tackle.

Indianapolis ran for 191 yards on 39 carries, the most yards since it had 226 in 2007. Oakland had only three tackles for losses. Dominic Rhodes, who re-joined the Colts just three weeks ago and played for the Raiders in 2007, had 98 yards on 17 carries.

It was Rhodes’ biggest yardage game since he gained 122 yards for the Raiders against the Chargers in the 2007 season finale.

Cable said the Raiders should have been able to stop the run with their big nickel and said the Colts hit a few big plays but then noted, “it was a lot of fours and fives and fours and fives. It was good consistency on their part.’’

Defensively, Indianapolis shut down the outside run to Darren McFadden (45 yards, 11 carries) and leaving one to wonder why Oakland didn’t go right at the heart of the Colts defense rather than trying to string it out against a team that was at its best on the perimeter.

Oakland had 80 yards on 20 carries.

Asked about the Colts’ ability to defend the perimeter, Cable said, “We’ve faced that before. In the first half, certainly, they had a plan for our outside run.’’

McFadden was limited after an ankle injury late in the third quarter. Cable called it turf toe, McFadden said he rolled an ankle.

“I don’t think it was anything they were doing,’’ McFadden said. “We just kind of got away from it when we got down. It was kind of off and on and we couldn’t stay on the field long enough to help the defense. It was frustrating.’’

My column for Bay Area News Group papers illustrates that outside of the AFC West, the Raiders aren’t much different than the teams we saw from 2003 through 2009.

— The Raiders had their vertical game reduced to swings and short passes by the Indianapolis Cover 2 pass defense. Quarterback Jason Campbell completed 29 of 42 passes but for only 231 yards and a long of 26 yards to Louis Murphy.

“They were smart about us. They knew what type of team we are, and they took away some stuff,’’ said Chaz Schilens, who caught two passes for 16 yards _ his first catches of the season. “A lot of cover-2, they made it hard on us. The shorter stuff underneath was a little more open, so that’s what we were trying to do.’’

– Cornerback Stanford Routt said he didn’t want to know how Kansas City was doing against Tennessee. Cornerback Chris Johnson said he heard the Chiefs were up 31-7. Zach Miller didn’t want to find out but someone told him the Chiefs had won.
Did it matter? Hard to tell. Looked more like the better prepared team won.

— Peyton Manning’s stats were nothing to gawk at _ 16 of 30 for 179 yards, three touchdowns and interceptions by Michael Huff and Chris Johnson.

But he dominated the game in terms of pace, tempo-and play-calling.

Defensive end Tommy Kelly on Peyton Manning: “He checks out on a lot of stuff. A mean a lot of stuff.”

Safety Michael Huff on Manning: “It’s tough. He’s an offensive coodinator on the field and calls whatever he wants to call.”

Cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha on Manning: “There’s not a quarterback I’ve played against that controls the game the way he does. He basically handles every situation and he’s a coordinator on the fly.’’

It was vintage Manning on the Colts’ final first down, a 26-yard naked bootleg around left end.Manning didn’t tell anyone in the huddle what he was doing, the better to sell the play, and slid to a stop at the 4-yard line rather than score a touchdown to kill the clock.

The Raiders had closed within 31-26 on Campbell’s 6-yard pass to Zach Miller, which capped an 80-yard drive with 1:51 to play. The Raiders then failed to recover the onsides kick, with Colts tight end Jacob Tamme coming down with it.

Miller had nine receptions for 66 yards, his most catches since getting 11 in Week 4 against Houston. It was his first touchdown since Week 7 in Denver.

–Campbell found himself needing to unload the ball early and took some shots although he was sacked only three times. Edge rushers Robert Mathis (1.5 sacks) and Dwight Freeney (1 sack) made their presence felt and you know it was a long day for rookie Jared Veldheer when Cable said of his performance, “I think today he learned how to utlilize help.’’

— The Raiders, meanwhile, did not sack Manning. Nor did they get close to sacking him. Manning has always been one of the best in the league at getting rid of the ball.

Rookie Lemarr Houston played a lot of defensive tackle in the absence of Richard Seymour (inactive with a hamstring pull) along with Tommy Kelly and John Henderson. Henderson was credited with 11 tackles.

— Raiders place kicker Sebastian Janikowski broke the club scoring record with his field goals of 49, 38, 51 and 45 yards. He has 135 points, breaking the mark of Jeff Jaeger (132 in 1993).

Janikowski is the first kicker to have two kicks of 59 yards or more. He had a 61-yard field goal against Cleveland last year.

– Jacoby Ford’s game-opening 99 yard kickoff return for a touchdown gives him three this season, a Raiders record. He also opened the Miami game with a kickoff return for a touchown. Oakland lost both times Ford started the game with a kickoff return.

“When I get to the kicker I pretty much know I’ll get to the end zone every time,’’ Ford said.

– Some Raiders actually seemed confused that they weren’t going to get a shot at the playoffs even if they run the table in the division.

Johnson said he even heard a rumor the league would make a rule change of some sort to reward teams that went unbeaten in division play but didn’t make the playoffs.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• DKnight007

445.Bob Marley Says:
    December 27th, 2010 at 10:01 am
    Dakota

I agree with you, make Hue Jackson the HC already.

I love Cable, but it seems his biggest contribution is as a “player’s coach/motivator”….something that Jackson is apparently good at too, so we shouldn’t lose anything there.

Keeping Hue under Cable will only become a bigger distraction as time goes on, let’s just move on with Hue as HC ASAP because we’ll need to find a new OL coach too.

^^^^^^^
    I wouldn’t mind that at all.

Then Hue will probably hire a better WR coach and possibly even a better D-Coordinator.

• http://blackhillsphoto.com/sturgis-weddings/black-hills-weddings.jpg Dakota

I am trying to think of WRs who had two bad years and then blossomed into great NFL WRs.

Roddy white struggled his first two years, had some injuries…but he still managed to catch 59 passes for 952 yards and 3 tds before he vastly improved in his third year.

• J Hill

Do you think JC is better?

——————————————————

Not really.

I just probably can make some better excuses for JC, lol.

Younger, more mobile, less turnovers, first year in the system, still getting his timing down with WRs, etc, etc.

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3ng4yHw2xk&feature=PlayList&p=E565EF0DE2F587FA&playnext= Raider75

Not looking for Cable to return next year.

Oakland played timid yesterday.

Piss poor performance all around if you ask me.

• J Hill

Dakota,

DHB can’t put up stats if he is not thrown the pelota mayne!

I could see you point if his number was being called and he was dropping passes. But our OC simply is not calling plays for DHB. The 5 yd passes that will let him run with the ball. Reverses and what not. Shouldn’t there be at least 2 deep balls thrown to DHB each game?

If Jackson becomes HC, who would be some decent OC candidates?

No particular order…

Gary Kubiak (doubt he survives in Houston)
    Jason Garrett (doubt he stays in Dallas – could also be a HC candidate)

who else?

• Just Fire Baby

I have more confidence in DHB being an above-average WR than I do Campbell becoming an above-average QB.

DHB caught every catchable pass thrown his way yesterday, and may never be a deep threat, but he looks like a legit YAC guy.

Think how PO’d we would be if KC had lost…

And that missed FG was TOTALLY on the snapper…

• http://blackhillsphoto.com/sturgis-weddings/black-hills-weddings.jpg Dakota

I’d feel better about our offense if we had either Palmer or McNabb going into 2011 to compete with Campbell.

But neither guy is a long term solution, and neither is Campbell.

Our best bet to upgrade our team in 2011 is to get an actual run-blocking FB, a real NFL WR or two and upgrade at least two of the following three positions; RT, RG C.

On defense we need better LBs and safeties. Get a real NT, move Kelly back to three tech and move Seymour to LDE (assuming he doesn’t bolt).

We can’t fix everything at once, so I would be happy with just upgrading our LBers, RG, FB and one vet WR…maybe TJ Hoozmydaddy.

Replacing the HC, DC, WR coach, o-line coach, ST coach and strength and conditioning coach would go a long ways to improving the team.

• DKnight007

438.Dakota Says:
    December 27th, 2010 at 9:44 am
    433.Bob Marley Says:
    December 27th, 2010 at 9:35 am
    Dakota

–”Hue Jackson has vastly improved our offense, and deserves the majority of credit for any improvement we had this season over last year, however, some of his decisions are baffling.

I have no problem if the Raiders get rid of Hue, as long as Cable is gone too.”–

Come on man.

Nobody expected the Raiders to become a top 10 offense in both scoring and yards per game, they did it under Hue….Frankly, I didn’t think Bill Walsh himself could pull it off.

And he’s done it with below average play from the QB and WR positions.

We’re not gonna like every call he makes but he’s the least of our problems.

++++++++|
    Bob, nice to hear from you!

I am a big fan of Hue Jackson’s….as compared to Tom Cable. But some of his decisions are questionable. I am not advocating for Hue to be fired, but if he was fired, it wouldn’t break my heart. There are some decent coordinators who could maximize our run game and maybe adjust our offense to attack our opponent’s weak spots. I think Hue gets flustered when something doesn’t work right away and has trouble adjusting in-game.

He is certainly heads and shoulders above Cable as a play caller, but he leaves a lot to be desired too. If the choice is keep Cable and Hue leaves, or fire Cable and make Hue HC, and no legit HC wants the job, then I am fully on board with making Hue the HC!

^^^^^^^^
    I agree.

If there has to be a choice on who to keep between Cable or Hue….then Hue needs to be the one kept.

He has the offensive system that has imporved the offense and he calls plays and he has a fiery competitor who is a players coach.

He is also the one who implemented more pulling, trapping, and counter power blocking schemes on top the of the existing ZBS that was the exclusive blocking scheme in place before.

• http://Raiders.com RaiderTW

Gary Kubiak (doubt he survives in Houston)
    ————-
    Kubiak is destined for the Donkies, if not I wouldn’t want him on the Raiders. He’s probably afraid of not getting paid anyway.

• http://0 Bob Marley

J Hill

You make some valid points but nobody is saying it’s the kid’s fault, he should not have been drafted 7th and expected to carry this team at WR.

Maybe he’ll get there in the next couple of years but we’ve already wasted 2 years from what should have been a productive player at 7th.

• I am Spartacus

If Cable goes, then the entire coaching staff should go. I’m astounded that anyone thinks HJackson is HC material.

• http://Raiders.com RaiderTW

—————-
    All I’ve really asked for 8years now is stop the G*d d*mn RUN!!!!

• http://atm Raider O

Keep Hue as the OC, hire a new HC who can help Hue and the offense, and hire a new DC.

Marshall is garbage!

• DKnight007

270.RaiderRockstar Says:
    December 27th, 2010 at 4:39 am
    the Colts had 170+ rushing yards from 3 different RB’s on the NFL’s worst run offense that came in averaging 85 ground yards per contest

171 and a TD on 35 carries

DB’s Huff, Branch, Mitchell & Routt all had more tackles than McClain

I’m sick of YOU PEOPLE praising this heap of trash!

JFB and a few others said “he made a few plays in coverage” Well whoopty freeaking doo man! if he was that great in coverage why didn’t they put him on backup TE Jacob Tamme? that guy looked like Dallas Clark yesterday!

^^^^^^^^
    News Break:

Umm….McClain is still a ROOKIE!!

You expect him to be Superman as a rookie and do it all by himself?

Get your head out of your azz please!

Tom Coughlin will also be available

• http://0 Bob Marley

Al likes the HC to call plays, if he hires Hue Jakcon he’ll likely keep doing it while a new OC helps with the weekly preparations and stuff.

• DKnight007

466.Raider O Says:
    December 27th, 2010 at 10:25 am

Marshall is garbage!

^^^^^^^^
    My ideal team would be Jim Harbaugh as HC and Hue Jackson as his OC.

Then hire John Fox as the DC!

• J Hill

—————————————————–

Agreed.

Get the OC to come up with some type of game plan that gets him the ball early and takes advantage of his YAC potential.

That 5 yd pass to Reggie Wayne yesterday after another guy picked Nnamdi needs to be in our playbook. And Hue needs to notice how the pick was ran so the Wayne could cut INSIDE, not out towards the sideline!

• http://blackhillsphoto.com/sturgis-weddings/black-hills-weddings.jpg Dakota

I’d take Jason Garrett as either the OC or the HC. Sorry Hue and Tom…heck, Hue can even stay as OC, without play calling duties, like he did in Washington, and then give him more responsibilities coaching the WRs. His best coaching job ever was in Cinci with their WR corps.

• J Hill

he should not have been drafted 7th and expected to carry this team at WR.

——————————————————

I can agree with you on that.

I wanted Maulauga, lol, so what do I know.

I just think the kid looks better than his wrap, if you will.

• http://atm Raider O

We added Seymour
    We added Henderson
    We added Houston
    We added McClain
    We added Wimbley
    We added Groves

We can so better than 26th against the run!!!

Fire Marshall Now!!!
    Fire Marshall for allowing 191 yards rushing to the Colts!!!

Fire that Old Monkey!!

• I am Spartacus

Too many players on this team with low football I.Q. JCampbell and TBranch come immediately to mind. I’m sure there are others, like CJohnson and SRoutt.

• http://0 Bob Marley

The Raiders should have listened to me….

–”Bob Marley Says:
    January 13th, 2010 at 11:12 am

Here’s my plan so far, keep in mind that I’m desperate here:

Get Mike Vick, the O-Line won’t be such an issue with Vick moving around, he may not be able to break 50 yard TD runs anymore but he can still make plays, we saw that a mobile QB like Gradkowski was able to have some success last year, Vick is like Grad on steroids.

With Vick buying time in the pocket, Z. Miller could finally make the Pro Bowl as his security blanket, much like Alge Crumpler did back in ATL, meanwhile, Schilens, DHB, Murphy and JLH would be able to get behind DB’s for numerous big plays.”

# Dakota Says:
    December 27th, 2010 at 10:27 am

……

I would love to have Garrett as the HC in Oakland.

• http://atm Raider O

I want Harbaugh too!!!

Hire Harbaugh as HC
    Hire Fox/ Mike S/ Del Rio/ DC from the Vikings as DC
    Keep Hue as OC

• http://Raiders.com RaiderTW

————-
    One stop shopping, hire McDaniels he’ll get rid of the staff plus JC, Huff, Jano, McFad, Bush, DHB, Condo, Ford probably Asmough.

• I am Spartacus

RaiderTW Says:
    December 27th, 2010 at 10:32 am

————-

__________________________________________
    No one is advocating hiring a greenhorn like McDaniels who was completely out of his depths. There are hundreds of proven coaches out there.

• DKnight007

475.I am Spartacus Says:
    December 27th, 2010 at 10:30 am

^^^^^^^^
    Routt pisses me off big time!

Tired of him getting beat badly and not intercepting the ball when he has a chance and always getting PI’s called against him….even though some of them are crap.

The refs even like to pick on him. Ugh

• http://blackhillsphoto.com/sturgis-weddings/black-hills-weddings.jpg Dakota

Stanford is offering Harbaugh $3 million a year to stay…since Al doesn’t think the HC has much to do with winning football games, I doubt he would be willing to match that.

• DKnight007

478.Raider O Says:
    December 27th, 2010 at 10:31 am
    I want Harbaugh too!!!

Hire Harbaugh as HC
    Hire Fox/ Mike S/ Del Rio/ DC from the Vikings as DC
    Keep Hue as OC

^^^^^^^
    Harbaugh would take this team to the next level!

He needs a QB though.

• http://0 Bob Marley

If it was my call, I’d rather hire Jim Harbaugh and his whole staff, let him run the ship.

Maybe now that SF is rumored to be interested, Al will make the move.

Remember this?:

“Former Raiders assistant coach and current Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh, brother of Ravens coach John Harbaugh, told the San Jose Mercury News that he would listen if Raiders owner Al Davis called.

“I talk to Mr. Davis now and then,” Harbaugh told the paper.

“I love talking to him. I consider him a mentor, and it was always special every time he would pull me aside with the Raiders or call me on the phone. He’s the best. Nobody can talk football like Mr. Davis. Every time I talk to him, I always glean something about football.”

Then asked what he would do if Davis called to talk about the Raiders coaching job, Harbaugh said, “I’ll always take a call from Mr. Davis.”

• J Hill

Disagree with bringing in a new HC and keeping Hue as the OC. That’s the same disfunctioning stuff everyone is complaining about.

If Hue stays, make him HC and let him bring in an OC.

If you bring in a new HC, let him pick his OC.

I’d be all for Hue as HC with Marvin Lewis as a DC/Asst HC.

• Just Fire Baby

Mort on the SVP show just said he thinks the NFL will be a 9 game season next year due to labor interruptions, with 18 games set for 2012.

• http://blackhillsphoto.com/sturgis-weddings/black-hills-weddings.jpg Dakota

484.Bob Marley Says:
    December 27th, 2010 at 10:37 am

Maybe now that SF is rumored to be interested, Al will make the move.

Remember this?:

“I talk to Mr. Davis now and then,” Harbaugh told the paper.

++++++++

That is just cruel Marley! Why get people’s hope’s up like that? I’d name my next son Al if he pulled that off though!

• I am Spartacus

Routt pisses me off big time!

The refs even like to pick on him. Ugh

________________________________________
    Sinced none of our CB’s ever look back for the ball, they will never get the benefit of the doubt. It’s a philosophy that will only die with Al – and I like Al.

• RaiderDebo

Dakota Says:
    December 27th, 2010 at 8:14 am
    If Al is going to fire Cable (I know, he would just not renew his contract, but it is the same thing) and hire a new guy he can’t foook around like he usually does. Cable needs to get his walking papers next week and the hiring process needs to start right then and there. No waiting for the college bowls to end. No waiting for Al to wake up and get to the office by 4 pm. This can’t drag on into February with the lockout looming. The new HC has to be in place right away and needs to start working on 2011 immediately.

This fantasy that an 8-8 record and another 3rd place finish is some great leap from a 5-11 record and a 3rd place finish while playing the patsy AFC West and NFC West, needs to be quashed right now. We did improve this year thanks to Hue Jackson taking over the offense, but Cable had little to do with it. Keep Cable (and Marshall) and we regress next year when we don’t get to play the NFC West, and we certainly are not going 6-0 in our division again next year. KC will be stronger, as will SD after they get healthy and fire Norv.

My hope is that this 8-8 season makes the job more appealing for a legit HC candidate. This is our chance to get a coach that could make a real difference for our future. Keeping Cable is just treading water. The guy doesn’t have any answers.
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Post of the Day.

• http://blackhillsphoto.com/sturgis-weddings/black-hills-weddings.jpg Dakota

RaiderTW Says:
    December 27th, 2010 at 10:32 am
    ++++++++++++++++++

There are many, many HCs I’d rather have than Hue Jackson, but if it comes down to the point where no legit HC wants the job, and Hue is heading out the door, then I would take Hue as HC over Tom Cable…in a heartbeat.

• http://0 Bob Marley

Marvin Lewis should be looking at a high paid DC job somewhere else, but if they don’t come….we should make a play for him, maybe Hue can talk him into it.

• I am Spartacus

I could live with Jim Harbaugh. I wonder if he thinks enough of Luck to pull out all the stops to get him in the draft should he become a Head Coach next season.

• http://Raiders.com RaiderTW

Just being sarcastic, Spartacus, I wouldn’t want ANY exBronco, exRaider, exKC coach. Only Madden or Parcells as GM. This will be the year Al faces his mortality as reality. Something’s gotta give.

• Just Fire Baby

****************************

Isn’t that an oxymoron Dakota?

Without a labor deal in place, all 32 facilities are going to be ghost towns the first week the season ends.

• alex7

Harbaugh, if you recall, was given a lucrative extension at Stanford shortly after making those comments about his availability for the Raiders and the NFL.

He used us. Good business.

• http://0 Bob Marley

Dakota

Lol…sorry dude.

Keep in mind those comments came a couple of years ago, Harbaugh wasn’t as big as he is now.

But if Al is looking for someone to take over, Harbaugh might fit the bill and grab the chance to run an organization.

• I am Spartacus

RaiderTW Says:
    December 27th, 2010 at 10:45 am

_______________________________________
    Acknowledged, TW. A HC can only do so much. He can’t teach or motivate an inherently stupid player (too many examples on our team to mention). I don’t think anyone would argue that Tom Coughlin is a lousy coach and his team imploded the last two weeks. Hire smart coaches and draft teachable players, like Jacoby Ford.

• http://blackhillsphoto.com/sturgis-weddings/black-hills-weddings.jpg Dakota

John Madden as GM??

Too funny TW! Guy is only what, 74 years old, and 32 years removed from coaching the game?

The only thing I would want Madden to do for the Raiders is maybe help with the search FOR a GM. I think he could be brought in as a consultant, focus in on the one task at hand, listen to all his contacts and find a decent GM.

The weak link in us wanting Al to hire a GM is the fact that AL WOULD DO THE HIRING! Let Madden in to make one good decision then walk away once the GM is in place, then let the GM hire a coach that has the same vision for the direction of the team as himself, and let that coach have a lot of say in the assistant coaches, and then let the coaching staff have a lot of input as to what players are acquired to run their system.

No more 3-4 DCs forced to run a 4-3 defense. No more noodle armed QBs brought in to run a vertical offense. No more zone coverage DBs brought in to run man to man.

Lets get a man with a plan and let him implement it.

KC is a great example of what I would want to see the Raiders do….pick a GM with a certain philosophy, and then let him hire the right coaches and draft the right players for that system.

• Kirk

I don’t know that much about football, so just a thought…

Why not copy the strategies of teams like the Steelers and the Patriots, who seem to do well year after year?

Obviously what we are doing is not working.

• bcz24

***********
    No he didnt. He tried to catch a slant with one hand and it of course bounced right off his hand. It was in the second half, but I cant remember exactly when.