By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Sunday, December 26th, 2010 at 1:45 pm in Oakland Raiders.
First quarter notes
– Indianapolis ended the quarter at the Oakland 12-yard line and was dominant after Jacoby Ford’s game-opening kickoff return for a 99-yard touchdown.
The Colts had a 131-8 advantage in terms of total offense as Peyton Manning was carving up the Oakland defense, including a 20-yard strike to Reggie Wayne in which Nnamdi Asomugha dropped off in coverage and ended up arguing with Tyvon Branch over who was supposed to be guarding him.
The Colts had a 9-0 advantage in first downs.
– Phillip Wheeler flattened Jacoby Ford on his second kickoff return at the 17-yard line with 5:55 left in the quarter. The Raiders then had their third straight three-and-out on a drive that included a misscommunication between Jason Campbell and Darrius Heyward-Bey and a Campbell praryer toward Ford on third-and-9 that fortunately for the Raiders was not intercepted.
– Joseph Addai’s 6-yard run with 6:00 left in the first quarter capped a 57-yard drive in which Manning had a 14-yard completion to Jacob Tamme, a 14-yard inside screen to Reggie Wayne against Nnamdi Asomugha and a 20-yard cross to Pierre Garcon against Tyvon Branch.
– Lechler’s 47-yard punt out of the end zone was fair caught at the Oakland 43 after a failed possession at the 9 that started with a 4-yard loss on a sweep by McFadden.
Campbell threw incomplelte on third-and-9 when hit by Robert Mathis.
– Brown was stopped on a third-and-4 run on the Colts’ second possession as Manning audibled to a running play. Indianapolis had one first down on the possession on a 12-yard run by Brown.
– Oakland’s first series ended on Zach Miller’s drop of a third-and-4 throw on a right roll by Campbell for a three-and-out. Lechler’s first punt with a strained hamstring was shaky, with Indianapolis taking over at the 29-yard line.
– Colts went three and out on their first series, with Manning throwing incomplete to Jacob Tamme on first down (Chris Johnson defending) and incomplete to Blair White on third down with Asomugha breaking up the pass.
Lamarr Houston was playing defensive tackle, the right side on one snap and left on another.