Raiders begin final practice

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Friday, December 31st, 2010 at 10:22 am in Oakland Raiders.

The Raiders began their final home practice of the 2010 season with a familiar look as only defensive tackle Richard Seymour was missing.

There will be minimal media availability before the team leaves this afternoon for Kansas City and Sunday’s regular-season finale at Arrowhead Stadium.

• YoungAmerican

This team needs to finish strong. KC isn’t going to give them any breaks.

• Raider guy

good season. A fun time this year for the first time in a long time

• YoungAmerican

Trevor Scott and Groves are good enough depth guys, Wimbley isn’t terrible but isn’t a force, and while it would be nice for Goethel to turn into a starting-caliber player, it would be silly to depend on a 7th round pick becoming that in his second season.

The Raiders use their LBs in coverage more than any other team. Greg Jones is a solid tackler who can cover as well. Well-rounded player, and would help the Raider defense improve at a lot of the things they already like to do.

• Guy

Young, are there any other top 4-3 guys that may last until the 2nd? Most mocks I see have Jones going late 1st or in the 2nd a couple picks before the Raiders pick.

• BoJacks

Roy E Williams @ WR

Yes or no?

• Just Fire Baby

Would like to see Campbell understand that this is somewhat of a meaningless game, and deviate from the scrip a little and force the issue, 1-2 plays a half.

If the 3rd and 8, 2 yard pass is open, you don’t have to take EVERY TIME.

I would rather see him force the ball down the field a little and maybe have one INT, than no turnovers but his typical average in his 5 losses this year of 5 yards per pass attempt.

• GoodOle00

5. Negatory. Guy is never going to live up to his “Legend” nickname. In intgerviews doesn’t come off as a mensa member either.

We do need someone with experience at WR.

Completely stupid to have no veteran presence on the squad or at WR coach.

• GoodOle00

I think we’re going to beat up the Chiefs. i hope we damage their play offs.

# Guy Says:
    December 31st, 2010 at 10:37 am

—————

To be honest, I’m not sure. Bruce Carter’s injury history will certainly make him fall in the draft, but ACL reconstruction is enough to make me wary of the guy. There’s also Akeem Ayers and Von Miller, but those guys might be gone even before Greg Jones.

# BoJacks Says:
    December 31st, 2010 at 10:39 am

Roy E Williams @ WR

Yes or no?

———–

His former teammates seem to think he’s a frontrunner, and guys like that generally don’t do well on the Raiders.

• YoungAmerican

Re-sign Seymour, Miller, Gallery, Satele, John Henderson, Barnes, Loper, and either Bush or Huff.

In free agency, go after CB Jonathan Joseph, RG Harvey Dahl or Carl Nicks, RT Ryan Harris, and a veteran WR (Vincent Jackson, James Jones, Steve Breaston). If Huff walks, sign FS Jarrad Page.

Draft OLB Greg Jones, QB Pat Devlin or Nathan Enderle, RB Derrick Locke (if Bush walks), OG/C John Moffitt, DT/NT Ian Williams. OT/OG Darrius Morris and CB Davon House should also be in the mix if the Raiders can’t upgrade the RT or CB spots via free agency, or if Greg Jones isn’t available.

• BoJacks

I’d go for James Jones before Breaston and Jackson. Need more of a possession type than a deep threat now

• YoungAmerican

I like James Jones too, but my gut tells me that his speed isn’t enough for Al.

• PurpleDrank81

YoungAmerican…….That was the smartest mock draft I’ve seen….4 of the players you mentioned are on my draft board.. I think we should look at Vai Taua FB in the real late rounds… He’s a big brutal back that can block but can rush also

• PurpleDrank81

2).Greg Jones/Jimmy Smith,
    3).Pat Devlin/Muhammed Wilkerson,
    4).Moffit/Pettis,
    5).Will rackley/Colin Kaepenick,
    6).Davon House/Lawrence Williams,
    7).Vai Taua/Owen Marecic

• nycraiders

can anyone honestly ever see tom cable as the raiders coach and jc as their qb playing in an afc championship game..yes they are better..but we need to get a legit coach n qb

• DKnight007

230.M Lonetree Says:
    December 31st, 2010 at 10:03 am
    Terrapin,

don’t think a quality DE drops to the second round? Houston comes to mind.

^^^^^^^^
    Yeah, there are always depth at the DE position in the draft that can be found from Rounds 2-4.

Just depends if you draft the right one. The Raiders have hit the last couple of years with Scott, Shauny and Houston, but they missed bad on Moses a few years ago in the 3rd Round.

• YoungAmerican

Finding a legitimate coach and QB is easier said than done.

All you can do is put the QBs you have in the best possible position to succeed. Upgrade the offensive line and the weapons around him. I think the time is now to find a young guy for Hue to groom behind JC, but JC is going to have every opportunity to be the starter next season.

As for the coaching situation, we’ll know on the 18th whether Cable is staying or not. But outside of him and Hue, I don’t see a long list of guys waiting for Al Davis to come knocking.

To me, the DC situation is more of a question mark. Al can’t be happy with how many points Marshall’s defense has given up, especially since it seems like Al gave Marshall a little more leeway than he has with previous DCs.

• J Hill

YES to Roy Williams IF we can’t get Vincent Jackson.

• YoungAmerican

I’ve heard so many different things about Colorado’s Jimmy Smith that I don’t know what’s actually true. I’ve heard he’s a lockdown guy, and I’ve also heard he struggles in man-to-man. I’ve heard he has great athleticism, and I’ve heard he isn’t as fluid as he needs to be. I haven’t been able to watch him play myself, so I really don’t know what to believe.

• PurpleDrank81

Your making way to much sense today YoungAmerican

# PurpleDrank81 Says:
    December 31st, 2010 at 11:15 am

Your making way to much sense today YoungAmerican

—————

Haha I try. I’m pretty sure I’ll be making progressively less sense as today goes on…

Happy new year, y’all.

• PurpleDrank81

I went home and watch some tape on him for about 45 minutes…He looks like a very good CB his hips are a little stiff but he sticks on a cb like glue and is about 6’2 with on field quickness

• M Lonetree

NycRaiders,

“…a legitimate coach.” ? Off the top I can name five active HCs who have won Super Bowls – does that mean the rest of them are illegitimate?

• OAKlifer

Happy new year to all!

“Know thy self, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories.”

This shall be the motto for slaying the dragon we have called the AFC West. A victory on Sunday will prove there is a new Raiders team on the horizon!

• YoungAmerican

Forget Michael Floyd falling to the 2nd round, he’s putting on a show today.

• Just Fire Baby

I guess we can scratch Michael Floyd off the 2nd round draft list.

He won’t be there in the 40′s when we pick.

• PurpleDrank81

Is he???? Man Wish I could watch the game

• OAKlifer

does that mean the rest of them are illegitimate?

Could we please leaves Cable’s childern out of the topic board….

Early afternoon to you Sir Lonetree!

• Just Fire Baby

LOL….

• nycraiders

Lonetree, Cable is a great cheerleader but he mismanges time outs, challenges and in order for the raiders to take a step forward he had to take a step back and not be involved in the offensive play calling..Maybe we can hire a real coach and just let him do what he does best..jump up and down

• YoungAmerican

Don’t disagree that there are better coaches out there than Cable. But you say “hire a real coach” like there are a lot of them out there, all of whom are super-thrilled with the prospect of coming to Oakland.

• J Hill

Charlie Weiss heading to Florida helps our AFC West chances next year. Can’t say KC will have the smartest piar of OCs in the diviaion anymore.

• YoungAmerican

McDaniels is apparently the favorite to take over the OC position in KC. Hopefully he convinces Haley to trade Bowe and Charles.

• nycraiders

i think the raiders had a great draft and with DMAC having a breakthrough year i do feel the raiders may be looked differently than in the past. Worst case scenario is giving the reins to Huejack who in 1 year accomplished more than cable did in 21/2 years ,

• PurpleDrank81

Lol thats somethin Mcdaniels would do.

• DKnight007

33.J Hill Says:
    December 31st, 2010 at 12:12 pm

^^^^^^^
    Where is fat Weiss going?

• Raider guy

the 18th thing is sort of arbitrary, do you think that there are teams pounding down Cable’s door to be a coach? the 18th can come and go and if al comes to the decision to keep cable, he’ll sign him to an extension.