Campbell: Issue was between Davis-Cable

NOTE: Both ESPN and CSN-Bay Area have reported Hue Jackson is interviewing with the 49ers today, which means he was not immediately rubber-stamped as the Raiders head coach. My understanding is that Jackson, however, expects to be talking with Raiders owner Al Davis very soon.

In contrast to some teammates who are upset over the decision to change coaches, Jason Campbell sounded cool and detached Wednesday morning when analyzing the demise of Tom Cable.

Campbell, a guest on SiriusXM’s “Mad Dog Radio,” said he learned late last night via text messages from teammates that Cable had not been renewed.

“I think it probably came down to the relationship between Mr. Davis and coach Cable, and their view on things and how they saw things,” Campbell said. “I didn’t really get a chance to see that, because I was always in offensive meetings and I got there late in the offseason so I really didn’t get a chance to be around coach Cable a whole lot one-on-one and be around Mr. Davis one-on-one.

“Most of my focus was on the field and being around the young guys. The decision was made and I’m pretty sure it just came down to Mr. Davis and coach Cable and they probably sat down and talked about it, and that’s where they went.”

Considering Cable was on a Sirius show a short time before the announcement and was hopeful of keeping his job, the conversation couldn’t have amounted to much other than a “Thanks, but no thanks” message either to Cable or his agent.

During that show, Cable spoke of Campbell’s development over the course of the season and in his final press briefing suggested benching him for Bruce Gradkowski actually helped in terms of his play. Yet at the same time, Cable made it clear Campbell wasn’t a quarterback who could carry a game on his shoulders without the kind of support he received when the Raiders were running well.

“The quarterback position here is solid,” Cable said. “You’ve got to be wise enough to understand what it takes for them to succeed. To me, it’s a run game. We’re going to throw the ball vertical here. Our play-action game allows us to do that.

“So we need a good manager at quarterback. No question Jason proved in the last six weeks of the season that he has command of what we’re asking him to do, and he’s able to control it and lead this team. As long as you do the things around him, meaning run the football, run the football, run the football, and let him explode with deep passes, we have a chance because we certainly have some talent at the receivers position.”

When Campbell was benched for the first time at halftime of a Week 2 win over St. Louis, Jackson said the switch was made at his recommendation. Following the season-ending win in Kansas City, however, he spoke his developing relationship with Jackson as a coordinator.

“Most definitely we have a better feel for each other,” Campbell said. “You don’t just come in out o the middle of nowhere and somehow light it up. It takes time to get to know each other, to know my strengths and what I can do well and what I need to work on.”

During his last press session with beat writers heading into the Chiefs game, Jackson said he was impressed with Campbell’s development as a quarterback who can do more than drop back and deliver.

“I think Jason is a young man who can stand in the pocket and throw it and obviously has the ability to move around and throw the ball,” Jackson said. “I am surprised by his mobility to make plays outside the pocket. He’s done it, but not to the extent that he’s doing it now. He’s really done a good job. He really has. I think Jason has really grown into this role for our football team. Im very excited about his future and what he can be in 2011.”

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• SilverNBlackPA

Wait, I just laughed at something RMR said, so I guess that makes me RMR as well!

• SilvernBlackPA, darn, we’re caught again! Well, at least we confessed it before Richochet called us on it. Wait, why am I saying “us”? We’re the same person!

• # chappy23us Says:
    January 5th, 2011 at 1:25 pm

“They can’t call us losers anymore!” For the first time in 8 years I was not ashamed of my team. It took Al all of two days to remind me of what the Raiders are and will always be as long as he is calling the shots. Losers!
    …..

You mean the same Al Davis that was in charge 8-9-& 10 years ago when they were winning?

“Welcome to McDonalds where we are not losers anymore! Would you like fries with that?”

• J Hill

Hey Tom Cable, shouldn’t you be looking for work right now instead of posting in this blog?

—————————————————–

No one is taking his call.

• EVERYONE HERE IS ME, AND I AM EVERYONE HERE! Where would we be without Richochet’s vigilante eye?

• chappy23us

Just to spite Al I hope that Hue Jackson gets the 49ers job. Al is forced to bring back Art Shell and Tom Walsh. Let’s remember the good old days with the “bed and breakfast offense”. At least we will have a top 3 pick in 2012

• souldogdave

Someone up there posted an objection to calling Randy Hanson a “skinny assistant”, and then stated he was 6’3″and 190lbs.That is a twig!!Why would any idiot bring up Randy Hanson anyway?(Besides my horrified reaction, of course).I’m sorry, but now that they dumped Tom Cable, will there be lobbying for Randy Hanson in Raiderville?Is Al on PurpleDrank?I have always considered Al Davis the “Evel Knievel” of football,but this decision was probably made a while ago.Too bad for Tom, but he has achieved a certain cachet for inspiring the uninspirable.It will be interesting to see how this shakes out,is there a Dark Horse head coach looming?Is it the obvious Hue Jackson?Who will the coordinators be?If Hanson resurfaces, FTW, I’m moving to Maui to fish.

• Jim Rome is an idiot.

***

me too, Chap!

Art Shell as HC with Josh McDaniels as OC and the current OL Coach (Jim M.) would have this team 12-4 next year

• PurpleDrank81

What did Jim Rome have to say??

• Hobs Gnarly

you mean when gruden/allen was here when we were winning? then everything turned to crap when al touched his midas touch and got us draft picks for a coach. yeah we went to the super bowl but how does a team that good get so bad so fast?

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

obviously Al has his man lined up, otherwise we would have cable still waiting to get the axe

is there a Dark Horse head coach looming?

***

let’s hope so!

Hue Jackson = flop waiting to happen

• twitter…

MaioccoCSN Matt Maiocco
    by PGutierrezCSN
    RT @JasonLaCanfora Hue Jackson did indeed interview with 49ers today. Lengthy. Went very well I’m told. Made a strong impression.

• McRaider5150

That’s talent either you have 3 or 4 different CP screens up at one time, or you are logging in an out like crazy. How do you keep up with yourself????

I mean how does he…me..you..they…shoot, never mind

• The 49ers hadn’t even offered Jackson anything yet, had they?

They’re meeting today!

• Chris Mortensen said something on Mike and Mike this morning about Harbaugh and the Raiders being a possibility with Mike Lombardi coming back to Oakland.

What did Al say about Lombardi at the Kiffin presser? He has a lot of ability? Something like that.

Lombardi fills the buffer roll like Bruce Allen did before him?

You have to remember, Harbaugh was here when things were good. He knows people can succeed under Al Davis.

• DMAC

# KoolKell Says:
    January 5th, 2011 at 1:41 pm

The 49ers hadn’t even offered Jackson anything yet, had they?

They’re meeting today!
    =======
    Reports are they met this morning.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

can someone please explain the dislike for hujack? We are now a legti top 10 offense, in points per game and tardage gained. we were 31st last year. whats not to like. he did it with terrible pass protectioin, suspect run blocking, and no wrs.

Wait til he gets his guys in,its going to be nuts!!!

***

hopefully Jim Harbaugh is out of their price range 🙂

• Hobs Gnarly

al can’t win all by himself, but he can sure lose all by himself. that’s why he would rather get the limelight for discovering head coaches rather than share the limelight with a great head coach because he’d rather get all the attnetion himself. in some ways when you are that old you revert back to being childish to get attention. his age is a real issue.

• McRaider5150

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    January 5th, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Wait til he gets his guys in,its going to be nuts!!!

——————————-

Mistic, Stupidity can’t be explained

• McRaider5150 Says:
    January 5th, 2011 at 1:40 pm

———————————-
    Raider employees?

• ArchiveTony

lol @ MR, two new names, just like that, to post to/about MR.

get help, little man.

now

• Normal media Al bashing crap.

• Just Fire Baby

Hobs Gnarly Says:
    January 5th, 2011 at 1:24 pm
    i am willing to bet there will be no oc with hue as hc, saves a measly amount by nfl standards but al pockets that

*****************************

Exact thing happened in 2008.

Hence the creating of things called “Passing game co-ordinators”.

• Old people tend to get selfish. Al Davis was born selfish. Not a good combo.

• ohioraider

Shane Lechler quote:
    “Whether he can call plays and pull off the whole head coaching deal and deal with Al Davis on the side, I don’t know. That’s a lot on somebody’s plate, so we’ll see.”
    ———————————————-
    The key phrase being…”and deal with Al Davis on the side.”

Hahahaha…Shane knows the score.

• Who was that FB from Ark last night….looked like that kid is just the blocking FB we need!

• Hobs Gnarly

i’ll eat my shoe if harbaugh comes to coach the raiders. post it on you tube too.

• RaiderWill

McRaider5150 Says:
    January 5th, 2011 at 1:43 pm
    Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    January 5th, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Wait til he gets his guys in,its going to be nuts!!!

——————————-

Mistic, Stupidity can’t be explained

————————————————-

They are so use to losing they dont know a good coach if it hit them over the head. Which Hue did this past season hit us over the head: 31st to 9th on offense.

• RaiderWill

Hobs Gnarly Says:
    January 5th, 2011 at 1:47 pm

—————————————-

It has to be an old shoe though.

• SilverNBlackPA

Dakota,

My memory is that Davis threw Lombardi under the bus and said something like “That guy’s been fired from every job he’s every had.”

I could be wrong about that though; Davis may have been referring to someone else.

• J Hill

409.Raider O Says:
    January 5th, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Jim Rome is an idiot.

——————————————————

I thought it was pretty funny.

Said he was upset Al took the professinal route with Cable instead of breaking out the overhead projector.

LOL!

• Raiderbuck

5-11 in 11 mark it, it was here first.

Al likes to take that crap and shoot himself right in the foot! Cable would have had these guys playing.

Harbaugh isn’t coming here, he strikes me as a smart fella and will just stay away.

• #1 reason Hue Jackson will become the next Raider Coach, he loves cheeseburgers from McDonalds and KFC Coleslaw

• Just Fire Baby

Mistic,

Not anti-Hue at all. He brought a competitive atmosphere to the entire offense. Wasn’t scared to bench guys, from Campbell to DHB to Mario Henderson. 3 of Al’s pets.

It’s about value. Hue was a good and potentially great OC. He is an anknown at HC. He’s never been the head cheese, anywhere at anytime. Cable was the same way, and it took him 20 games to settle him down. Hue made rookie mistakes last year, and will probably make rookie mistakes in 2011.

I look at Hue as a potentially one step backwards for two steps forward scenario.

• 434.SilverNBlackPA Says:
    January 5th, 2011 at 1:48 pm
    Dakota,

+++++++++++++++

That does sound familiar lol…..there goes that conspiracy theory!

• Oakland up next on Rome!

• Hobs Gnarly

hue is smart enough not to have an oc too, so he doesn’t do to him what he did to cable.

• Hobs Gnarly

oh well fck it, nite all.

• RaiderWill

Hobs Gnarly Says:
    January 5th, 2011 at 1:52 pm

————————————————-

Hue will run the offense and will have an offensive consultant. Cable we relived playing calling duties because he kept calling madden09 game plays. Mind you the madden plays were better than the bed and breakfast ranch.

• twitter…

RaidersBlog Chris Hansen
    I haven’t heard a peep about who Davis is looking at. All is quiet. I know Davis has called Harbaugh.

• RaiderWill

Hey there might be a slight chance of landing Harbaugh. I think the raiders have the best roster out of all the teams looking for a head coach. Maybe that will intrigue him enough to take the job.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

RaiderWill Says:
    January 5th, 2011 at 2:02 pm

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

We have a much better roster tha the whiners.

Harbaugh, however, has let it out that Michigan offered him $5 million and it wasn’t enough because he wants $7 million.
    The whiners can’t afford that.

Harbaugh is also asking too much for the Raiders since Al’s offer is somewhere between a nickle and a free ticket to a game.
    Harbaugh may just end up in Miami.

• raidertay

NFL Teams Total Payroll 2010
    1. Raiders – $ 152,389,371
    2. Cowboys – $ 146,401,600
    3. Vikings – $ 133,354,045
    4. Browns – $ 131,916,300

If I was an owner and I was paying top 5 money, then I would expect a top 5 salary to go along with it. Cable underachived.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

raidertay Says:
    January 5th, 2011 at 2:20 pm
    NFL Teams Total Payroll 2010
    1. Raiders – $ 152,389,371
    2. Cowboys – $ 146,401,600
    3. Vikings – $ 133,354,045
    4. Browns – $ 131,916,300

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Al pays top money to the players not the head coaches.
    I think Cable was going to get $2.5 million(a raise) next year.

• ohioraider

# raidertay Says:
    January 5th, 2011 at 2:20 pm

NFL Teams Total Payroll 2010
    1. Raiders – $ 152,389,371
    2. Cowboys – $ 146,401,600
    3. Vikings – $ 133,354,045
    4. Browns – $ 131,916,300

———————————————–
    Of course, that’s the convenient excuse of any owner. But you’re implying that Davis has a good track record of assessing talent and paying accordingly. Recent history suggests otherwise.

• EARP

Dakota & RaiderO are 2 very keen fellows, let’s hope draft was a indicator of Al changing for better, next step= Gruden or Harb. Al is either getting good advice or is changing? I think something big is brewing, surprise, surprise= I think this time it’s coming as w/ draft.