What they’re saying about Tom Cable’s departure as Raiders coach

The end of the Tom Cable era on Tuesday night has predictably elicited some strong opinions. Here’s a look at what folks are saying about the Raiders’ coaching shakeup:

* Our Steve Corkran and Jerry McDonald combined efforts on our paper’s main news story, which includes some strong words from Raiders punter Shane Lechler.

* Mr. McDonald writes in his web-only column that in Al Davis’ world, 8-8 is never cause for excitement.

* Our Cam Inman thinks that this move could cause team dissension.

* Our Tim Kawakami says that dumping Cable and replacing him with Hue Jackson would follow perfectly the Al Davis Hiring Pattern of alternating his head coach picks between a burly offensive line coach an an offensive gameplanner.

Let’s take a look at what else is being reported about Cable’s departure:

* Here’s the official statement from the Raiders on the decision not to retain Cable.

* Here’s how ProFootballTalk.com reported the news.

* The National Football Post is reporting that Hue Jackson is expected to be Cable’s replacement.

* NFL Insider Jay Glazer checks in via video on Cable’s ouster and what it means.

* ESPN’s Bill Williamson says the move just doesn’t make any sense.

* Williamson then writes in a separate post that Al Davis was afraid of losing Hue Jackson to the 49ers, which is why the move was made.

* How does CBS Sports’ Clark Judge explain the news? It’s just the Raiders being the Raiders.

* On Monday, National Football Post columnist Matt Bowen said firing Tom Cable would be bad football. Bowen, a former NFL player, goes on to say players used to laugh at the Raiders and no one wanted to play in Oakland because it meant losing and possibly starting over with a new coach almost every year.

* SI.com’s Don Banks hinted on Monday that people shouldn’t assume that Hue Jackson will replace Cable. Banks’ sources tell him that Davis wasn’t happy with Jackson’s role in bringing in Kyle Boller and that the Raiders owner may not be sold on Jackson’s knowledge of the running game.

* Finally, Cindi Christie from our photography department put together a slide show looking back at Tom Cable’s time with Oakland.

Jon Becker

• http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXj7I1RzLSE&feature=related exlaraiderseasonticketholder

If I was Shane Lechler, I’d be thinking about the clause in his contract that AD successfully used to fire Kiffin with cause and not pay him.

• Hobs Gnarly

gruden wanted 7 mil from miami, you think he’d come here?

• McRaider5150

ENGLANDRAIDER Says:
    January 5th, 2011 at 10:36 am
    McRaider5150 Says:
    January 5th, 2011 at 10:09 am
    ENGLANDRAIDER,

I am still waiting got those 3 coaches that gave themselves a “B”, can you provide that?

Again, plese exclude Cable, 8-8 is not a “B”. In the football world that would be considered a “C”. A “B” would be 10-6 to 12-4, an “A” would be considered 13-3 and above.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Since you just started watching football last Tuesday I don’t see any reason why I should bother with you. Go fuk yourself.

Or better still go back to 1220 Harbor Bay Parkway.
    Al’s wants you to come over and applaud him in person for firing yet another coach.

Unless you’re MR, in which case your mom called and she wants you back at the trailor park.
    ————————-
    LMFAO,
    Just goes to show how much of an idiot you are. You say I just started watching football, but you can’t answer a simple question. I actually played HS, College, and simi pro, and I coach as well.

Anyone with brains knows that 8-8 isn’t a “B”….lol man you are too funny.

Oh and I would live in the ghetto before I would the “trailor park”

• RaiderDebo

Dakota,

Except for the “(and he had it coming)” part, you have just won Post of the Day!

• HayesDaze37

Tom Cable?? Thanks for the hard work…and congratulations on surviving, and reviving, your career. Here’s wishing you the best, and I hope you find a great job in a hurry.

Al Davis’ treatment of Tom Cable?? Al helped Cable stay in football (not just the NFL, but in football), when he nearly lost all hope of doing so. The allegations from within — and without — the Organization were so serious, it would’ve been easy and understandable for Cable to lose his job anywhere else.

It may seem cold to axe Cable now…and I think he could’ve/should’ve stayed at least one more year…but Al gave Tom the room to settle into his work, and gave him the relative security of the thick walls in Alameda when all other walls were tumbling down.

Tom Cable has a future thanks to Al Davis.

And the Raiders are going to be alright when the dust settles again.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    January 5th, 2011 at 10:34 am
    The game against seattle where we pulled away i the second half showed me that hu-jack does make good adjustments at half time. he decided to throw deep in the second half and it worked. I also saw it in the first kc game, we scrapped the wild cat and played it straight up and pulled it out at the end.

people in here are hating on hu-jack the same way they hated on jc.

Davis knows better than you.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I am Al Davis and I approve of this message.

Listen to this guy’s crap. No one talks that way

• ENGLANDRAIDER

McRaider5150 Says:
    January 5th, 2011 at 10:44 am
    ENGLANDRAIDER Says:
    January 5th, 2011 at 10:36 am
    McRaider5150 Says:
    January 5th, 2011 at 10:09 am
    ENGLANDRAIDER,

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Or better still go back to 1220 Harbor Bay Parkway.

————————-
    LMFAO,

Anyone with brains knows that 8-8 isn’t a “B”….lol man you are too funny.

Oh and I would live in the ghetto before I would the “trailor park”

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Another messenger from 1220 Harbor Bay Parkway.

Look at this obvious stuff too-especially the last sentence.

Just go away and pick up Al’s check idiot.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

people in here are hating on hu-jack the same way they hated on jc.

Davis knows better than you.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

LMFAO!

• raidertay

The Raiders have to give Hue permission to interview for the 49ers. Its mandated in his contract. The 49ers asking for permission is simply a courtesy

• OG-RAIDERRR

B!tch A$$ Bruce Crapkowski does not play a single game for the Raiders in 2011 PRINT that in stone its a fasho ! Al does not want that POS back …

• prov1kenobi

At least we will get a #1 pick for the 2012 draft. Great move once again, Al. Al is gonna be calling plays from his coffin on the sidelines!!

• souldogdave

Harbaugh could end up being next year’s Josh McDaniels.$7 million a year,please. Al would coach the team himself before paying out that kind of money.It’s Jackson’s job to lose, but you know Al has a backup plan or two.I just hope Hanson doesn’t resurface.I do believe Cable’s preference for Gradkowski cost him the job,even though Jackson was brought in to supplant him from the get-go.The writing was on the wall,they all knew,except the punter,apparently.

• Spida888

So the Raiders finally equallled the .500 mark for the first time since 2002. The “D” was awful giving up 25+ points 7 times. Cable should be out. The offense rescued the team for a change this year. Give Jackson a chance and upgrade the “D” coaching. Should look to the Ravens, Steelers, Eagles or even the Patriots for a change at coordinator/asst head coach.

• Spida888

Who ever becomes the next head coach is going to have a lot of new faces to deal with. We have a ton of free agents this year. Aside from suring up the defense coaching, we need to lock down Nnamdi Asomugha, Richard Seymour, Michael Bush, Michael Huff,
    Zach Miller, and possible John Henderson if there is money left. Then we need young talent on both sides of the line. Maybe hiring a proven “D” line coach as new Defensive Coordinator/Asst Head Coach under Jackson is the move. We should turn to teams like Baltimore Pittsburg, Philly, or even New England to bring in some new blood on defense.

• Pingback: An interesting read. I actually have some thoughts about this. Would you consider writing a guest piece for my blog?