Jackson-Davis highlights, Part II

Second in a series of posts with highlights from the Hue Jackson-Al Davis press conference Tuesday:

– Not comparing their ability as a head coach in any way, but Hue Jackson went out of his way to ingratiate himself with his new boss more than any coach than Joe Bugel.

Bugel actually put his arm around Davis after replacing Mike White and said, “I love this man.’’

Jackson referred to Davis throughout the proceedings as “coach Davis’’ and had this to say in his opening statement:

“Obviously when I came here a year ago a lot of things were said. ‘Why you want to go work for the Raiders?’ One, I’m from California and I love being back home. But two, the opportunity to work for coach Davis. I know a lot of people quote me when I say coach because he is a coach. He was one of the greatest coaches of our time coaching a football team.

“I want you guys to know, I’ve worked for a lot of owners in this league. I’ve been on four different football teams. I started with Dan Snyder, I worked for from there to Mike Brown, from there to Arthur Blank, from there to Steve Bisciotti. And I’m not saying this because I’m sitting here. I’m being very honest with you, not one of those guys, and they’re all excellent at what they do, but I’ve never had the opportunity to sit and talk football, football, the X’s and O’s and what it takes to win in this league consistently on a consistent basis, and there’s nothing like working for coach Davis.

“I know a lot of stuff gets said about this and that, I’m telling you I’m here. I’m a walking testimony of coming here in the first year and having an opportunity to make something great. We’re not where we want to be but I’m so excited about the opportunity that the men that are sitting in the back of the room, Mike Waufle and Kevin Ross, guys that I know this past year that we did everything that we could to get this organization where we want it to be, and none of us are satisfied. We all are ready to roll up our sleeves and go to work. So I’m glad, to be here, glad to be the head coach of this football team. I plan on being here for a long time.’’

OK, it’s probably a good idea to talk up the boss. But referring to Cincinnati owner Mike Brown as “excellent” strains the credibility of the speaker.

– Davis wasn’t overly impressed with the show of support in the locker room for Cable in part because he promoted after a show of player support instead in 1997 instead of Jon Gruden, a mistake he rectified the next year after the Raiders went 4-12.

“Three of the players came to me, led by the minister, Napoleon Kaufman, who runs a church now. They wanted a guy to be the head coach, and I wasn’t sure that I wanted to go in that direction,’’ Davis said. “ I hired the line coach as the head coach because the players wanted him. They were all excited. And he was a great coach. This guy was a great line coach. His name was Joe Bugel, and uh, but those things, sometimes you relent and sometimes you don’t. But this had no chance.’’

Davis felt Cable cultivated the support because “he was through, and he also knew how to go into the locker room and get the support. Which is good. I think it’s great for a coach to get support when you’re leaving.’’

Davis seemed to find the pointed criticisms from punter Shane Lechler more amusing than disturbing.

“My first reaction was three years ago, if you get out your newspaper, Shane said publicly he wasn’t coming back, he didn’t like it here,’’ Davis said. “A month later, he was coming back because I gave him the highest paid contract of a specialist in pro football.’’

– Sounds as if the Raiders had no intention of picking up the option the contract of cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha, whose deal voided automatically anyway because he failed to meet performance incentives.

Davis acknowledged Asomugha’s skill as a cornerback and his worth in the community but noted, “that 17 million dollars can bring you two or three players that can help you win.’’

When there were stories that Asomugha wanted to play with the New York Jets and Darrelle Revis, Davis said he him asked him point blank if he wished to be traded.

“He said, `No. I want to stay. I don’t want to go.’ ‘’

– Davis on the trade which dealt a first-round draft pick to the New England Patriots for Richard Seymour: “You may not think it was a good trade. I thought it was a great trade. Still do.’’

– Wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey still has the owner in his corner, although it’s notable Davis didn’t use the word “great’’ when evaluating him.

“He’s going to be good. (He has) explosion. He can catch, he’s getting better, and he’s a good guy. He’s going to be good.’’

More to come in a couple of hours . . .

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ KoolKell

Mistabr0wn Says:
    January 18th, 2011 at 9:23 pm

KK, since I dont live in a tralier has it ever crossed your feeble mind how eff’ing retarded and lame you are ?
    ———————————-
    You’re definitely poor trailer trash, but does this blog ALWAYS have to be about you?

• http://www.aldavissucks.blogspot.com The Real MaddenRaider

Raider75, enjoy it all you want. The last 25 years of Al’s career are going to be remembered more for the disarray and losing than Al’s tough guy antics.

• http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ KoolKell

BrownStains

Don’t you get ANY attention in real life, geez?

• http://chismetime.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/sofia_vergara_01.jpg r8eray

Today a reporter asked if Mark has taken on more of a role with the team. Al said, “Why don’t you ask Mark that?”

• http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ KoolKell

Al Davis has almost completely buried his legacy. People under 50 don’t know anything about him, except his fingers.

• http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ KoolKell

Al Davis has been LOUSY since 1989.

• Mistabr0wn

AL could do a 1hr PPV show for 10.00 once a week on Sunday nights. I bet he would have more jack than J Jones to spend on his beloved Raiders. He priceless behind that mic…

• phatcable

Q= Al did you have the bolts removed from your neck A=yes i wanted too look my best for this press conference.

• Mistabr0wn

KK, you have been lousy since the day you were born.
    ______

# KoolKell Says:
    January 18th, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Al Davis has been LOUSY since 1989.

• phatcable

Mistabr0wn Says:
    January 18th, 2011 at 9:23 pm
    ………..he does not live in a trailer its a house with axles!

• RaiderDebo

You guys watching Chronicle Live and SportsNet Central? Awesome stuff about JaMarcus. Also had a great interview with JC. On SportsNet Central, Wofford said he called JaMarcus to get his take on Al’s comments about his personal problems. His uncle who is a doctor od some kind said the Raiders are “covering this whole thing up”. Said that JaMarcus was dealing with two deaths in a month’s time and that the Raiders gave no support and that JaMarcus will be back in the NFL next season. Jason Campbell said that Al called him after the Indy game and asked him why he didn’t push the ball downfield more. He said because Indy played so much Cover 2.

• http://www.aldavissucks.blogspot.com The Real MaddenRaider

It’s a testament to how he’s surrounded by ass kissers. No other franchise would let their owner get in front of the cameras looking that awful. Raiders’ front office is too scared of Al to confront him about it. It’s like GG said, Al needs an intervention. This guy’s going on camera with a literal gash in his forehead. It looked like fresh blood. It was disgusting. Did anybody in the media there actually ask him about it? They had every right to. It appears to be an injury for crying out loud. Just weird.

• aig-raiders

………..he does not live in a trailer its a house with axles!

——————-

too effin funny!

• http://www.aldavissucks.blogspot.com The Real MaddenRaider

If Russell stays sober he’s capable of anything. He stays sober, gets on a real franchise (heck, even here, if Hue is involved), and he could play in this league. I just don’t think he was worthy of a first round pick. Al and his loyal fans sure did, though.

• aig-raiders

Hue will not be here no more than 4 years. If he excells, he will get his meal ticket ala Jon Gruden. If he doesnt, it’s gonna get ugly again. Never easy to be a Raider fan is it.

• http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ KoolKell

There was one poster on here who uses to proclaim Al Davis as a Billionaire, remember?

• BadMoodGuy

Obvious troll is obvious

• phatcable

The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    January 18th, 2011 at 9:41 pm
    ………..j russell done here take that dog for long walk!

• http://www.aldavissucks.blogspot.com The Real MaddenRaider

Quit making fun of where people live. Don’t you guys realize that’s part of the wealthy class’s plan, to turn the poor against each other? Poor whites calling blacks “ghetto”, poor blacks calling poor whites “trailer trash”. This divisive strategy goes back to Ronald Reagan, using the term “Welfare Queens”. The term “queen” was designed to target black women. The Republican party had to split the poor vote, and they did so by turning poor whites against blacks, making them feel blacks were getting entitlements that were theirs. Don’t fool yourselves. Southern whites are as s o c i a l i s t as any pinko you can name, they just don’t want minorities in on the cut. Look up “dixiecrat”. They were s o c ialists. Believed in a government for their people, confederates.

• phatcable

Tom Cable lands in Seattle
    Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 18, 2011, 7:33 PM EST
    Just one hour after Raiders owner Al Davis did his best to make sure no one would ever hire Tom Cable again, the Seahawks announced they’ve hired Cable as assistant head coach/offensive line coach.

Down the coast in Oakland, Cable’s old co-worker Hue Jackson was simultaneously slamming Cable and giving him a reference.

“What Tom [Cable] is, he’s an exceptional line coach,” Jackson said. (Ouch.)

• http://www.aldavissucks.blogspot.com The Real MaddenRaider

Jimmy Carter was able to unite urban American blacks and southern American whites. Nobody’s done it since. President O. has the right idea, with his talk of unity. But he’s gotten nowhere as far as getting it done. Clinton was a corporatist who was able to spread the wealth and make sure it trickled down to the middle class, and that helped the poor. America saw its lowest crime rates and its most prosperous and peaceful time in history on Clinton’s watch. Interesting that 1999 was supposed to be when the world was going to end. It was the greatest year in American history, as far as the quality of life for the average American goes. It was never better, and will probably never be that good again. When Jimmy Carter ran, it was the people against the wealthy. Period. And he won! We need to get back to that.

• JB

noteasilyimpressed Says:
    January 18th, 2011 at 7:45 pm

How about a young gun at QB?
    **************************

Don’t be surprised when AD picks up Alex Smith on the cheap from FA. Then let’s him sit a year or two. Strong arm, mobile, accurate some of the time, frazzled most of the time and most likely lacking a lot of confidence. He was the #1 pick and Al love those types of reclamation projects. Besides, we’ll be needing both a #2 & #3 QB. I don’t see Gradkowski coming back especially after AD mentioned him by name and said “he was just too fragile”.

• Pingback: Snoring jaw supporters