Hue in honeymoon phase with `coach Davis’

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Sunday, January 30th, 2011 at 1:13 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Hue Jackson went on Sirius NFL Radio from the NFL Senior Bowl this week and attempted to dispel any notions about owner Al Davis.

“Everybody always said that everything is done by coach (Davis),” Jackson said. “That’s not true. I mean, I’m hiring the staff. He made me the head coach of this football team and said, `Hue, let’s go. Obviously, I bounce everything off him. Why wouldn’t I? This is his team. But he doesn’t sit there and rule everything with an iron-clad fist.”

There more, a transcription of which will run below.

Jackson is enjoying what Lane Kiffin referred to as the “honeymoon” period between Davis and the head coach.

Kiffin was the golden child once, bringing in a handful of assistant coaches he selected, making change, and attempting to affect change. He called Davis “Al,” and talked about how he basically could do anything he wanted at the NFL owner’s meetings.

A year later, he wasn’t wearing Raiders gear at the NFL scouting combine and was rejected in his attempts to fire defensive coordinator Rob Ryan and defensive line coach Keith Millard.

Once Kiffin was gone, Tom Cable told us we had it all wrong with Davis. Cable said he was the coach of the team, he hired his entire staff, and that his working relationship with Davis couldn’t be better.

We know how that turned out.

Norv Turner said he thought working for the Raiders was his dream job because he had a boss who truly understood football, a guy who went out and landed players such as Warren Sapp and Randy Moss.

Turner ended up having to do a tortured backtrack on a decision to start Marques Tuiasosopo ahead of Kerry Collins after one game, and was gone the next year.

There is little doubt that all these coaches were initially telling the truth. There’s a period of time, before anything happens in the loss column, where you’re actually running a team owned by someone who actually knows and understands football.

He’ll give the coach his thoughts and ideas, maybe produce a list of coaches who might make good coordinators based on philosophy and track record along with how much they can be paid. Then he’ll let the coach make the call.

Win and the honeymoon can be extended. Experience has taught us what happens when the losing begins.

JACKSON ON SIRIUS NFL RADIO

Q: What is the stamp want to put on the Raiders?

Jackson: We kind of started that process a year ago. We want to be a very physical team on offense. We want to be able to stop you on defense, and we want to be explosive on special teams. Obviously, I thought last year, we started that process and we need to take it to another level this year, and there’s no question that we’re going to be able to do that.

Q: How advantageous having a year under your belt, knowing how Raiders operate, knowing the roster?

Jackson: Obviously; it helps you tremendously, because you know the environment, you know the players, you know the coaches. You know exactly how Mr. Davis wants things to be. I think it’s a great opportunity to hit the ground running right now.

Q: It all starts at QB, what has impressed you about Jason Campbell?

Jackson: He’s a pro. I mean the guy comes in, he comes early, he stays late, he wants to be the best at what he does. He’s young, he’s talented. Our job is just to make sure we create the right environment around him so he can be the best he can be.

Q: There was great improvement with Darren McFadden last year, is he just scratching surface?

Jackson: There’s no question he is. I’m so excited about what he brings to the organization. Him and Michael Bush, those two guys are a 1-2 punch for us, obviously, he was the No. 4 pick three years ago, and what he did for us last year is what we all envisioned he could be. So I’m excited about what the future holds for him.

Q: With uncertainty with regard to a labor agreement and a number of free agents, including Nnamdi Asomugha, how would you describe your approach to the offseason?

Jackson: I think everybody is kind of in that same boat. Nobody knows what the CBA is at this time. But I promise you this. Coach Davis has a plan, and we have a plan, and we feel very confident as we move forward that we’re going to be able to put great football players out on our football field.

Q: On the defensive side of the ball, where do things stand with coordinator?

Jackson: We’re still in that process. We’re going to go hire the best fit for our Raiders staff. Obviously we’re working through that, we’re getting closer, we’re excited about all the candidates and the people who have applied that want to be a part of what we’re building. Again, I know you hear all the different stories about the Raiders, but none of those things are true. Coach Davis had done a great job just creating an environment for the players and coaches to come in and be successful, and that’s we’re looking to do.

Q: Could you expand on that? What are the biggest misconceptions which were dispelled since you joined the Raiders?

Jackson: Everybody always said that everything is always done by coach. That’s not true. I mean, I’m hiring the staff. He made me the head coach of this football team and said, Hue, let’s go. Obviously, I bounce everything off of him. Why wouldn’t I? This is his team. But he doesn’t sit there and rule everything with an iron-clad fist. The guy runs the draft as well as anybody I’ve ever seen run a draft. I mean, this guy knows football, and to me, for me not to use him as a resource would not be very smart on my part. So I’m very excited about the relationship I have built with him over time. The relationship that I think our coaches and our players have built with him over time. The one thing coach wants to do is win. That’s what we all want to do. We all want to play in that game a week from now that Pittsburgh and Green Bay is going to be in, that’s the ultimate goal.

Q: Could you describe your coaching philosophy?

Jackson: I have a very very simple philosophy. If you have good players, put ‘em in situations to have success. Just try to create an environment to let them showcase their talents and abilities, and we have some very explosive players who can run, and if you create space for them, they have an opportunity to make plays. It sounds simple, and it is hard, don’t get me wrong, but that’s what it’s really all about. Create an environment for your players to showcase their talents and abilities and have players that will allow them to do that, the Jason Campbells, the offensive line, the tight ends, the receivers, the Darren McFaddens, give those guys opportunities and normally good things will happen.

Q: How did you grow as a coach last year?

Jackson: You’re in all those pressure situations, week in and week out. I know what it’s like to call a great game. I know what it’s like to wish you had some plays back. I know what it’s like to call a bad game. I know what it’s like when practice is not going as good or when you don’t feel as well and you’ve got to go get this done. So I’ve been through all these situations throughout my career, and that’s what’s prepared me for today. There’s not much that I haven’t seen. Nothing truly prepares you to go out and do it, day in and day out, but I’ve been through a lot, and I’m so excited about this opportunity to lead this organization.

• http://www.aldavissucks.blogspot.com The Real MaddenRaider

Oh, sure, Vegas. “If” we had an easier opponent in that Super Bowl, we would have won. Well, yeah. That’s scientific. Gee, if you had a million dollars, you’d be rich. You’re sharp as a tack today.

• severeraiderz

The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 5:56 pm
    severeraiderz Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 5:54 pm

He should give that super bowl ring to Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith.

………..

Then Al Davis should have to give his 2002 Lamar Hunt trophy to Gruden.

/////////////////////////////////////

for what reason remember al runs the whole ship and his coaches have no or very little say so in personell matters remember. Al built that team for gruden, just like Dungy built his team for him in Tampa.

# priesttj Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 6:06 pm

These guys think Gruden is Bill Walsh incarnate

………….

Compared to most of Al’s coaches, he is.

• Al Davis Supreme

You know Hue is my new man. Me and him got it goin. Tom is my ex. I got many exes as you well know. But it’s all good, cause I got it goin. I will bring the Raidahs back.

# severeraiderz Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 6:04 pm

when answering questions honestly about ur former coach looks like bashing, that tells u all about that coach and why he is a former

………….

you said Al Davis didn’t take the low road. He did. Bashing a former employee is taking the low road, even if you think he deserves it. It’s still the low road. The high road is saying positive things about him, ….even if you don’t mean it. That’s what the high road is. It’s called formality. But then again, it’s something that’s common in the professional world, something the Raiders dont’ know much about.

• Just Fire Baby

I don’t look it as an easier opponent, but a bette matchup. The Eagles LB’s wouldn’t have been calling out our plays.

Bob Marley Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Gruden was not all that,

…………..

95-81-0 regular season

5-4 post season

5 division titles

1 Super Bowl victory

• priesttj

I’m with M Lonetree forget Gruden this is Hujack City now baby lets move forward the past is just taht the past. Whatever happened none of us will never really know either mans true intensions.

Hujack is the man now………..period

• http://0 Bob Marley

Just Fire Baby is Vegas?

• dickv

MR.

As I recall the Raiders blew a 10 point lead against Jacksonville. There had to have been a lot of punting. That’s not “clutch”. Campbell protected the ball well that day but he didn’t get the job done when he had plenty of opportunities to do so. The object of the game isn’t to have good stats, it’s to win. That’s something the good QBs understand.

_________________________________________

JC made the plays he had to make. He had a few bad gaames this year no doubt, but he played a good game against Jacksonville.

I know your not a Raider fan; your reading comprehensions sucks, and that you are argue no matter what, but JC was clutch in that game… just like the San diego game.

I’m excited about JC being the Raider QB next year. There is enough talent around him to win. Hue/ Al saunders will move the ball and put JC in a position to score points.

• Just Fire Baby

Just Fire Baby is Vegas?

************************

Come on man, you were in Dell’s FFL with me!!!

You didn’t pick up on any of that??

• Davy Jones

The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Al still traded him, in a Super Bowl year when he was needed most. Doesn’t refute a thing.

………….

I’m sure if you were asked outside of this debate if Gruden would have stayed if he wasn’t traded, you’d say “No chance. Al Davis meddles so no decent coach wants to stay for long.” Happy to assign the blame for Gruden wanting to leave, no doubt. But to give credit for profiting from a bad situation? I know, I know, “Al can do no right”.

And no one knew it was a SB year at the beginning of that year. We had greybeards at nearly every position. Impossible to say without hind sight that the collapse that happened in ’03 wouldn’t have started in ’02. One might even give Davis credit for realizing that he’d be in rebuilding mode very soon and trying to load up on picks for a youth movement; again, it’s what NE has done. (Gruden trade = Seymour trade; they sure needed him this year) But give Davis credit for foresight? I know, I know, “Al Davis can do no right.”

severeraiderz Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 6:08 pm

………..

No wonder we couldn’t win the big one in ’00 and ’01.

• severeraiderz

The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 6:07 pm
    //////////////////////////

if we played against a team that didn’t know what we were gonna run before we ran it, we would have won.

• Just Fire Baby

Off to hammer out the last two episodes of the 3rd season of the Wire and than the Dubs game.

priesttj Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 6:13 pm

……….

Oh, but you stated you did know, as fact, that Gruden “left” on his own, or was going to leave anyway. Now you’re saying nobody knows? Why didn’t you just say that at first? Backpedaling?

• dickv

The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 6:13 pm
    Bob Marley Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Gruden was not all that,

…………..

95-81-0 regular season

5-4 post season

5 division titles

1 Super Bowl victory

_______________________________________________

Gruden is a has been that is out of coaching. He has a sweet gig as color commentator.

Al davis has been trying to find the next John Gruden, but has failed until he was able to attract Hue Jackson.

Sean Payton & Ken wisenhunt thought long and hard about being the HC in Oakland… infact both men verbally agreed to be HC in Oakland… One man even signed a contract only to reconsider 2-3 days later.

Everything that Gruden was can be found in Hue Jackson.

• Davy Jones

Al didn’t have to trade Gruden; he could have waited a year and watched him walk away for nothing. that would have been better?

• Al Davis Supreme

I wanna see Tj and RMR square it off in a debate match, no holds barred, Monday night at 10PM.

The Rules:

Tj starts it off with a RMR counter. I will make the decision who wins the first round.

RMR will start round 2 and Tj will finish and I will decide who won that round.

We will continue for 16 rounds and a 17th if needed.

I will moderate between each round and make the round winner after the bell for each round.

There will be no cussin and no name calling, but you can make references towards each others manhood.

I will declare the winner by # of rounds won, TKO, or if I just need to stop the fight.

The winner gets to claim king of the blog babble, and the loser gets a runner up king of the blog babble.

Prepare you 8 points of argument each, and be ready to counter 8 times. Have 1 point ready in case of a draw after 16 rounds.

No admission will be charged for spectators.

Be there or be square.

I’m Al and I have spoken.

• http://www.aldavissucks.blogspot.com The Real MaddenRaider

Gruden a has been? LOL. What does that make Al Davis? Remember, Gruden has won a Super Bowl in the past 20 years. Anyway, Gruden is out of coaching by choice.

• priesttj

Gruden wasn’t all that he got in an organization that worked for him and supported him and he did a great job here. But he was too full of himself and thought Mr Davis would go for whatever he said because the fans and the media would side with him. One thing he didn’t figure on is Mr Davis is not some owner that you push around.

Once the Glasiers figured him out they got rid of too so if that doesn’t tell you somethung then you’re not listening. They fored the only coach who won a SB for them and there must be some reason for it. Hell it’s not like they are the Steelers. They’re “Tampa freakin Bay” why would they do that?????????????

• severeraiderz

The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 6:18 pm
    severeraiderz Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 6:08 pm

………..

No wonder we couldn’t win the big one in ‘00 and ‘01.

///////////////////////

funny how another coach took that team further than it had been the previous years….

# Davy Jones Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 6:22 pm

……..

Yes. It would have given us a much better chance of winning the Super Bowl, which should be the ultimate goal. Not to Al, though.

• http://0 Bob Marley

Maddenraider…

“95-81-0 regular season
    5-4 post season
    5 division titles
    1 Super Bowl victory

I’m sorry, compared to every single candidate the Raiders considered this year, including Hue Jackson, Gruden is “all that”. And a bag of chips.”

– Ok, he was all that for the first 5 years of his career, that’s when he achieved most of those accomplishments.

That would be 4 years in Oakland where Al Davis ran the ship and signed the players and his 1st season in Tampa with the Rich McKay-Tony Dungy built team.

But, then came his last 6 seasons as HC, where Gruden made the playoffs 2 times in 6 seasons and ended up with a 45-53 overall record.

So, let’s agree that he was a top coach for 5 years but then something hapened where he turned into a below average coach, ok?.

priesttj Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 6:23 pm

…………..

What? Davis wouldn’t give him a new contract, then traded him! What kind of support is that?

# severeraiderz Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 6:24 pm

…………..

Then Gruden deserves credit for TB winning it. He took the team further than Dungy ever did.

• pjs4raiders

So, what happens when Al passes?

• severeraiderz

Gruden can coach his ass off, but sGould in no way be involved in personell matters for whatever team he joins

# pjs4raiders Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 6:26 pm

So, what happens when Al passes?

………..

The Raiders will at least have a chance to win a Super Bowl. With Al, they have no chance.

severeraiderz Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Gruden can coach his ass off,

………….

Look who’s finally coming around.

• Al Davis Supreme

Gruden was my man for a while, now he is my ex, like Tom and many others. Me and Hue got a good thing goin on now, so it’s all good now. I will bring the Raidahs back.

10PM, Monday night. Be there or be square.

• http://0 Bob Marley

I must say I’m enjoying this little argument….just like old times uh Maddenraider?.

Lol.

• dickv

Gruden is a has been. He doesn’t have the desire to win… be the best anymore. Al davis is an old man that can’t do it anymore because he is old.

He can identify talent though. He got a good young hungry coach in Jackson. It tool 8 years, but the Raiders have finally found a good young offensive minded coach that can lead them back to big dance…

Of course once that happens, all we will hear about is how Hue did it, and Al davis finally got out of his own way…

• severeraiderz

No, because Al won with the players he selected with a new coach. Gruden won with the players someone else selected in a weaker conference.

• Chris in NY

Grads > Campbell.

• Davy Jones

Here is a fact about Hue Jackson that all Davis haters choose to ignore: other recent candidates have had some success as a position coach, maybe a coordinator job (usually a ways back) . . . for another team. HJ, on the other hand, had his biggest success with the OAKLAND RAIDERS as a coordinator, last year. All the others were coming into a new environment, HJ has already had some success in this environment, with these players. Offense more than doubled this year, and unless you credit Cable for that *snort* I think that (not to mention Darren McFadden and Jacoby Ford) is reason enough to be optimistic for 2011.

But alas, no optimism around here will go unwetblanketed.

dickv Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Gruden is a has been.

…………

Again, what does this make Al Davis?

Gruden has won a Super Bowl in the past decade.

Gruden’s record since leaving the Raiders is far better than Al’s is since Gruden left.

If Gruden’s a has been, Al’s a fossil.

• severeraiderz

The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 6:29 pm
    severeraiderz Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Gruden can coach his ass off,

………….

Look who’s finally coming around.

/////////////////////////

never said he couldn’t coach……are you really this slow or is it an act???

• severeraiderz

Chris In NY Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 6:33 pm
    Grads > Campbell.

////////////////////

Lmao

• dickv

Al Davis is still doing his thing at the ripe old age of 81. Gruden retired in his 40′s…

One man still is making headlines… one man just talks about the game.

• Al Davis Supreme

The Showdown in Oaktown, 10PM Debate starring Tj and RMR, will present arguing at its finest, with Al as the referee. Have your popcorn ready for 16 rounds and maybe 17 rounds of drivel and debate, and no real winner in sight. Vegas refuses to give any odds on this match. You can’t even buy odds. Vegas does not acknowledge this debate of the Millenium.

Another rule: you can argue past, present or future Raidah, but has to be all Raidah.

# severeraiderz Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Gruden won with the players someone else selected

…………

Michael Pitman and Keenan McCardell were players Gruden brought in, and they both contributed on heavily on the offensive side of the ball, and not to mention played well in the Super Bowl. The offense has to score some points. You can’t win with defense alone. So, Gruden won with his players, too.

• http://www.aldavissucks.blogspot.com The Real MaddenRaider

But, I shouldn’t be so hard on Severeraiderz. He’s backpedaling and starting to admit Gruden’s a good coach, after bashing him for an hour. It’s progress. I shouldn’t get in the way of it.

• r8rwill

it is amazing how imposters react when faced with the statistical FACTS..campbell outplayed all the franchise qb’s and these dummies still don’t get it…they tried to spin the stats in grads favor..bruce, bruce, bruce gradkowski is out of football, now how good is he now??? the man was on scholarship with tc. get over it!!! you have poor player judgement and you know who you are!!!!!!

• Al Davis Supreme

183.dickv Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 6:32 pm

——————————————–
    It’s all good as long as long as I get all the credit, you know that. I will bring the glory and the past of the Raidahs back.

• Al Davis Supreme

Al Davis > anybody

• severeraiderz

The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 6:42 pm
    /////////////////////////////

RMR’s school of argument. Put words in the other persons mouth and the act as if they are comin around to ur point of view…..straight out of the fox news handbook

• RaiderRetribution

Ponder, Hankerson, and Boisie St twins Young and Pettis looked great.

I would love to see the Raiders pick up any 2 of these players.

Hankerson or Young in with our second or third round pick;

Pettis with our 3rd or 4th round (no way he lasts till the fifth);

and Ponder with our 5th, 6th, or 7th round pick.

• RaiderRetribution

still hoping for CO Jimmy Smith/CB with our #2;

hopefullu Raiders resign Mr. Asomugha and Mr. Seymour.

It appears Huff is planning on returning to the Raiders at least he is staying in touch with teammates.

• Davy Jones

I don’t think Gruden is a has been, but I think the perception that he didn’t do much in tampa with the team he built himself is warranted. Dungy should get a big share of the credit for the SB win. Gruden’s real success as a coach came here, working with Al Davis.

Excuse me, RMR, I’m sorry, his success came here IN SPITE of working with Al Davis, because Al Davis can do no right. Even though that’s not how Gruden tells it, I wouldn’t want to spoil your narrative.