Hue in honeymoon phase with `coach Davis’

Hue Jackson went on Sirius NFL Radio from the NFL Senior Bowl this week and attempted to dispel any notions about owner Al Davis.

“Everybody always said that everything is done by coach (Davis),” Jackson said. “That’s not true. I mean, I’m hiring the staff. He made me the head coach of this football team and said, `Hue, let’s go. Obviously, I bounce everything off him. Why wouldn’t I? This is his team. But he doesn’t sit there and rule everything with an iron-clad fist.”

There more, a transcription of which will run below.

Jackson is enjoying what Lane Kiffin referred to as the “honeymoon” period between Davis and the head coach.

Kiffin was the golden child once, bringing in a handful of assistant coaches he selected, making change, and attempting to affect change. He called Davis “Al,” and talked about how he basically could do anything he wanted at the NFL owner’s meetings.

A year later, he wasn’t wearing Raiders gear at the NFL scouting combine and was rejected in his attempts to fire defensive coordinator Rob Ryan and defensive line coach Keith Millard.

Once Kiffin was gone, Tom Cable told us we had it all wrong with Davis. Cable said he was the coach of the team, he hired his entire staff, and that his working relationship with Davis couldn’t be better.

We know how that turned out.

Norv Turner said he thought working for the Raiders was his dream job because he had a boss who truly understood football, a guy who went out and landed players such as Warren Sapp and Randy Moss.

Turner ended up having to do a tortured backtrack on a decision to start Marques Tuiasosopo ahead of Kerry Collins after one game, and was gone the next year.

There is little doubt that all these coaches were initially telling the truth. There’s a period of time, before anything happens in the loss column, where you’re actually running a team owned by someone who actually knows and understands football.

He’ll give the coach his thoughts and ideas, maybe produce a list of coaches who might make good coordinators based on philosophy and track record along with how much they can be paid. Then he’ll let the coach make the call.

Win and the honeymoon can be extended. Experience has taught us what happens when the losing begins.

JACKSON ON SIRIUS NFL RADIO

Q: What is the stamp want to put on the Raiders?

Jackson: We kind of started that process a year ago. We want to be a very physical team on offense. We want to be able to stop you on defense, and we want to be explosive on special teams. Obviously, I thought last year, we started that process and we need to take it to another level this year, and there’s no question that we’re going to be able to do that.

Q: How advantageous having a year under your belt, knowing how Raiders operate, knowing the roster?

Jackson: Obviously; it helps you tremendously, because you know the environment, you know the players, you know the coaches. You know exactly how Mr. Davis wants things to be. I think it’s a great opportunity to hit the ground running right now.

Q: It all starts at QB, what has impressed you about Jason Campbell?

Jackson: He’s a pro. I mean the guy comes in, he comes early, he stays late, he wants to be the best at what he does. He’s young, he’s talented. Our job is just to make sure we create the right environment around him so he can be the best he can be.

Q: There was great improvement with Darren McFadden last year, is he just scratching surface?

Jackson: There’s no question he is. I’m so excited about what he brings to the organization. Him and Michael Bush, those two guys are a 1-2 punch for us, obviously, he was the No. 4 pick three years ago, and what he did for us last year is what we all envisioned he could be. So I’m excited about what the future holds for him.

Q: With uncertainty with regard to a labor agreement and a number of free agents, including Nnamdi Asomugha, how would you describe your approach to the offseason?

Jackson: I think everybody is kind of in that same boat. Nobody knows what the CBA is at this time. But I promise you this. Coach Davis has a plan, and we have a plan, and we feel very confident as we move forward that we’re going to be able to put great football players out on our football field.

Q: On the defensive side of the ball, where do things stand with coordinator?

Jackson: We’re still in that process. We’re going to go hire the best fit for our Raiders staff. Obviously we’re working through that, we’re getting closer, we’re excited about all the candidates and the people who have applied that want to be a part of what we’re building. Again, I know you hear all the different stories about the Raiders, but none of those things are true. Coach Davis had done a great job just creating an environment for the players and coaches to come in and be successful, and that’s we’re looking to do.

Q: Could you expand on that? What are the biggest misconceptions which were dispelled since you joined the Raiders?

Jackson: Everybody always said that everything is always done by coach. That’s not true. I mean, I’m hiring the staff. He made me the head coach of this football team and said, Hue, let’s go. Obviously, I bounce everything off of him. Why wouldn’t I? This is his team. But he doesn’t sit there and rule everything with an iron-clad fist. The guy runs the draft as well as anybody I’ve ever seen run a draft. I mean, this guy knows football, and to me, for me not to use him as a resource would not be very smart on my part. So I’m very excited about the relationship I have built with him over time. The relationship that I think our coaches and our players have built with him over time. The one thing coach wants to do is win. That’s what we all want to do. We all want to play in that game a week from now that Pittsburgh and Green Bay is going to be in, that’s the ultimate goal.

Q: Could you describe your coaching philosophy?

Jackson: I have a very very simple philosophy. If you have good players, put ‘em in situations to have success. Just try to create an environment to let them showcase their talents and abilities, and we have some very explosive players who can run, and if you create space for them, they have an opportunity to make plays. It sounds simple, and it is hard, don’t get me wrong, but that’s what it’s really all about. Create an environment for your players to showcase their talents and abilities and have players that will allow them to do that, the Jason Campbells, the offensive line, the tight ends, the receivers, the Darren McFaddens, give those guys opportunities and normally good things will happen.

Q: How did you grow as a coach last year?

Jackson: You’re in all those pressure situations, week in and week out. I know what it’s like to call a great game. I know what it’s like to wish you had some plays back. I know what it’s like to call a bad game. I know what it’s like when practice is not going as good or when you don’t feel as well and you’ve got to go get this done. So I’ve been through all these situations throughout my career, and that’s what’s prepared me for today. There’s not much that I haven’t seen. Nothing truly prepares you to go out and do it, day in and day out, but I’ve been through a lot, and I’m so excited about this opportunity to lead this organization.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• ohioraider

Right wing wack jobs flexing your blogging muscles tonight, eh?

• TerrapinRaider

If JC plays faster he can be really good. When he does even I’m sort of impressed. When he doesn’t and starts sitting back there holding that damn ball, thats when he drives me crazy and holds the team back

• http://0 Bob Marley

Dickv

Add Fort Valley State WR Ricardo Lockett to that list.

He’s close to 6’3 212 and is a former track champion who was timed at 4.35 a few weeks ago and is aiming to run a sub 4.3 in the combine.

I posted some stuff on him earlier, post 16 and 18 if you’re interested.

• http://www.hotmail.com The Dirtee Raccoon

235.Raider O Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 7:42 pm
    Raccoon,

We need to start our own party. The Green Party!
    Smoke weed!
    No taxes!
    Kill criminals!
    Less Govt!!

********************

That would be the Purple party.

• Chris in NY

DeAngelo Hall was Pro Bowl MVP? Hilarious.

• http://www.hotmail.com The Dirtee Raccoon

252.TerrapinRaider Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 7:59 pm

************

He can move fast enough, he just can’t think that fast. Mentally SLOW. Not a retard, just stupid.

• TerrapinRaider

MeAngelo sucks …I don’t even want to think about that guy. At least the media wont ever claim he’s the best CB in the game anymore since he had to play opposite the one.

• Raiders for life

I’m hoping that Ronell Lewis is good to go for his junior year. The guy can hit you like a bus. Future Raider.

• djohnnyg

250.Chris in NY Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 7:58 pm
    JaMarcus 15 games, 53% comp
    JaCampbell 13 games, 59% comp

I’m not saying Campbell is near JaMarcus, just taking exception to the claim he outplayed a bunch of franchise QBs down the stretch. And Campbell’s comp pct doesn’t do much for me since it’s his inability to pull the trigger on throws down field that is far and away my biggest, if not only, real gripe about the guy. If you’re constantly checking down you should complete a high percent of passes.

Which is why I don’t understand all the love coming from Coach Davis in regard to JC.

I thought our dear Darth Sidious was all about the “deep ball”? I saw none of that with JC last year. Did I miss something?

• TerrapinRaider

gotta go

• MiamiBornRaider86

Chris In NY Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 8:01 pm
    DeAngelo Hall was Pro Bowl MVP? Hilarious.

====================================================

I cant stand that freakin guy man… he totally sucked when he was in OAK.. totally overpaid, and was constantly targeted by all QBs he faced because they knew he was way weaker than Nmandi.. i thought they were goin to be the best CB tandem in the league.. i was wrong.. Nmandi and Chris Johnson make a better duo.. fukin wak a$$ Hall..

• TerrapinRaider

If MeAngelo did anything, he elevated Nnamdi’s reputation.

• http://www.aldavissucks.blogspot.com The Real MaddenRaider

SevereRaiderz, congratulations on the progress. Bashing Gruden all day, then coming around to the FACT that he’s a good coach. Good man.

Davy Jones Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Dungy should get a big share of the credit for the SB win.

…………

And Gruden should get a big share of the credit for the Raiders 2002 AFC Championship win.

• Chris in NY

Yeah, the D was dramatically better when we dumped Hall for CJ37. Guess Hall’s just a zone system guy who couldn’t hack it in the Raiders man D. Wonder if he would make a good FS. Prob too small.

• aig-raiders

JC rode the tail of the team in 2010. When the team needed him to carry them in 2010, he was no where to be found.

I like Hue Jackson better as a HC than as an OC. I wish him luck because I dont think he’s going to be successful in 2011 with JC as his QB. Yeah, JC is the starter but he is still the same lousy guy that we saw in 7 years as a starter. What did the Skins fans complain about JC?

1. Dump off. Check.
    2. Pad his stats in garbage minutes. Check.
    3. Slow to make decisions. Check.
    4. Not clutch. Check.

Other than that, he’s fine a quarterback. Hope you catch my sarcasm and good luck Hue. You’re gonna need all the luck you can get. You better win right away, or it wont take long for the media to be all over your ass since you’re kissing Al’s rears publicly.

severeraiderz Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 6:54 pm

that team won with D and you know it,

………

Their offense scored 27 points in the Super Bowl.

• Raiders for life

Add Fort Valley State WR Ricardo Lockett to that list.

He’s close to 6′3 212 and is a former track champion who was timed at 4.35 a few weeks ago and is aiming to run a sub 4.3 in the combine.

I posted some stuff on him earlier, post 16 and 18 if you’re interested

############

I looked around for some highlights earlier but only found some interviews. He’s been working out with NFL players and wants to be the fastest at the combine. Even though he didn’t get accepted to Auburn for academic reasons, he seems to be pretty sharp and intelligent. I’m sure Al has his one good eye on him.

# ohioraider Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Exactly what did Kiffin lie about, other than he, you know, actually respected Davis?

…………….

Ha ha ha ha!!!!

• aig-raiders

MeAngelo Hall? I go back to this video whenever I hear anything good mentioned about him….Gotta love Rex Ryan…

• Chris in NY

Aig,
    You’ve gotta believe that if we do indeed roll with Campbell, that Hue will have a No. 2 QB he likes and won’t hesitate to make the switch if given the leeway, be it Grads or someone else.
    Hope Boller doesn’t return. No faith in that guy either.

• severeraiderz

The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 8:13 pm
    severeraiderz Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 6:54 pm

that team won with D and you know it,

………

Their offense scored 27 points in the Super Bowl.
    ////////////

that means the defense scored 21 and held the #1 offense to 21….seems like the d was more important. How many of those 27 pts were off of turnovers….you are really not good at this debating thing are u???

• http://www.aldavissucks.blogspot.com The Real MaddenRaider

Raccoon and Raider O = Cartman in the South Park episode where he has his own amusement park. Watch it if you don’t know what I’m talking about. It will teach you guys both a lesson as to just how things work.

• r8rwill

guys, help me out i am looking for meaningless game stats, i can’t find them anywhere..lol

• severeraiderz

Aig-Raiders Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 8:13 pm

1. Dump off. Check.
    2. Pad his stats in garbage minutes. Check.
    3. Slow to make decisions. Check.
    4. Not clutch. Check.

////////////////////////

and still outperformed Grads in everyway imaginable, smh

• http://www.aldavissucks.blogspot.com The Real MaddenRaider

Severe, Score was Tampa 27 Raiders 3 when Tampa returned their first pic. Raiders offense contributed just as much as defense. Gruden methodically moved the ball on the Raiders. That’s offense. That’s contribution. If the offense doesn’t score, that pick 6 by Tampa might only make it 14-3, instead of 34-3. Opponent would still be in it. Gruden did his job. Got the offense across the goal line, putting the game out of reach.

• http://www.aldavissucks.blogspot.com The Real MaddenRaider

Tampa’s offense contributed as much as defense, I meant to say. Not Raiders.

• http://www.aldavissucks.blogspot.com The Real MaddenRaider

Raider O, you have no clue how anything works. You’re like Cartman in the episode where he has his own amusement park. No government, no taxes….yay!!! It’s the 21st century, doofus. You would be the first one to shoot yourself if government truly shut down. You’re probably more dependent on government than anyone in here. You probably draw from unemployment, medicare, and whatever other program you can. You just think it’s different when you do it. Doofus.

• Chris in NY

Go back and watch the first 12 quarters of the season and then try to tell me with a straight face that Camplbell is better than Grads.

• severeraiderz

The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 8:10 pm
    //////////////

Weak!!!!! Lol u are such a sheep

• SilverSurfer

# TerrapinRaider Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 7:45 pm

So its settled.

Gruden wanted authority that Al would not give and rightfully so (even in hindsight given what that same authority delivered him in Tampa). He would not re-up for a long term contract and considering the circumstances presented to him Al took the deal for draft picks (any one of you would make the same choice I know I would have).

^^^^^^^^^^^
    @Terra-No, I wouldn’t have. Draft picks are a crapshoot. As it turned out, each of the picks we got were total grabage. Every coach wants control over his assts and input on the roster. Only the Raiders refuse to allow either.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Most of Gruden’s success came as a Raider, after he left his success started to decline.

^^^^^^^^
    @Terra-Most?? The Goal of every organization is to win. Not lose. Gruden won one time. And it wasn’t with the Raiders.
    What do you think Gruden is most proud of? Winning it all with TB? Or coming up short in Oaktown?
    >>>>>>>>

Gruden was a very good coach but maybe not a great personnel guy. Evidence in Tampa would support that conclusion when he did have more control over personnel. Yet he wanted such power that Al was unwilling to give possibly recognizing his limits as they were.

^^^^^^^^^^^
    @Terra-c’mon man. Al had no plans on ever giving up power. Chucky wanted Alex in draft. Al vetoed it and went with Jano. Al’s a control freak. That’s not new
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Sounds like a case of a young man full of cockiness or overly confident in his abilities wanting to prove he can do it all and not being objective enough to understand his limitations.

That about sums it up. Next topic.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    @Terra-sounds like you are confused, a homer, and reaching.
    Look at how many here are drooling at the idea of Chucky coming back. How many got po’ed when Al made that stupid deal. Saying “limitations” means you don’t have a clue.

• http://www.aldavissucks.blogspot.com The Real MaddenRaider

Severe, I’m just giving you props. You were out of sorts all day, bashing Gruden, getting angry because fans want him back, then at the end you finally admit, Gruden can “coach his ass off”. I’m proud of you. Good job.

• severeraiderz

The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 8:24 pm

///////////////
    Man u are sloooiw, the question wasn’t how man defensive touchdowns they had. How many of those points came on offensive drives by Tampa immediately after a Raiders turnover…..points off of a turnover. The defense held the best offensive team in football to 21 pts while scoring another 21, they contributed more.

• Just Fire Baby

******************************

Soup’s average pass this year went less than 6 yards from the line of scrimmage, lowest in the league.

Only one other QB had under 7 yards per attempt (Jon Kitna.)

• aig-raiders

# severeraiderz Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 8:23 pm

and still outperformed Grads in everyway imaginable, smh
    ————-

If that’s all you have to point to justify Jason Campbell, then let’s do it. Let’s compare head to head in a measured and proper way. Like comparing apple to apple and not apple to orange.

1. Make sure that they play with the same players.
    2. Make sure they went up against the opponent.

I know of 3 specific instances. Dare to prove me wrong?

• severeraiderz

The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 8:30 pm

///////////////////

lol this is 6th grade stuff, come on man ur better than that. This is really weak stuff man, I’m extremely dissappointed in u.

• http://www.aldavissucks.blogspot.com The Real MaddenRaider

Severe, as you well know, Gruden is a great coach. You admitted so. And in that Super Bowl, his offense put up 27 points. Getting his offense into the end zone (he was their offensive coordinator as well), was his job. By scoring 27, the Raiders were out of it by the time they got the ball late in the 3rd quarter. Had Gruden just put up 3 yards and a cloud of dust on those drives, settled for FGs, etc, Raiders are down something like 14-3, still in it, still have momentum. Gruden killed the Raiders’ momentum, BY SCORING. He beat the Raiders, with both OFFENSE AND DEFENSE. Stats don’t lie. Look it up. But you know that, because you admitted he’s a great coach.

• http://atm Raider O

I own a business, go to school, and you collect unemployment!
    I pay taxes so you can have medical and food stamps!

No wonder you crying about taxes!
    You are too needy!

• severeraiderz

Chris In NY Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 8:27 pm
    //////////////

no need to, I watched evey game except the Indy game and JC was the better player by far
    *straight face*

• aig-raiders

Chris in NY,

I’m praying that Hue uses his first year freedom with Al Davis to convince him to get a quality back up plan in place for our QB position. I dont like Boller either because he’s just as bad or worst than JC. Boller’s starting track record at Balt was pretty awful. It wont take much to out perform JC I can guarantee you that.

For all of Hue’s public endorsement of JC, I can’t imagine he is not working on a back up plan.

• SilverSurfer

# djohnnyg Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 7:26 pm

You lost a lot of points with that assnuzzling.

Lost points with YOU?

I’m sure Hue will have trouble sleeping tonight knowing that.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    @LittleBoyJohnny-lost points with lots of people, both for and against the Raiders. Kissing Al’s ass isn’t standing on your own two feet. Calling him Coach, when he hasn’t coached in six decades, was a joke. Yeah, decades. All that did was brown nose Al, and it’s embarrassing.

Following it by saying “I check in with Al first” followed by saying “Everyone says Al makes all the decisions, but he doesn’t” also was sorry.

but hey, you’re a brownnose yourself, so what would you know? besides how to keep your nose polished?

• aig-raiders

# severeraiderz Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Chris In NY Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 8:27 pm
    //////////////

*straight face*
    ———–

Really? How did Grad vs JC in the STL game? How was Grad vs JC in the Pitt game? How was Grad vs JC in the SF preseason game?

Straight face?

• severeraiderz

The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 8:35 pm
    ///////////////////////////

u still didn’t answer my question, u obviously know the defense carried the day and can’t bring urself to admit it. It’s ok, I’ll let u off the hook this time

• aig-raiders

Silversurfer,

My first time seeing you on here but you are correct in the Hue Jack ass kissing department. Hue better wins right away or else the media will take him to task for those “coach Davis” comments. I just hope that Hue can co-exist with Al’s Angerness.

• http://www.aldavissucks.blogspot.com The Real MaddenRaider

Hue Jackson was calling him coach Davis, now it’s “Mr. Davis”. Already got checked. He seems smarter than the past puppets, but he’s already backpedaling. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s worse than Cable.

• http://www.aldavissucks.blogspot.com The Real MaddenRaider

What do you mean “carried the day”? There’s no stats for “carried the day”, Severe, at least none I’ve heard of. I’m just going with the facts.

Score was 27-3 Tampa, late in the 3rd quarter, and every last one of Tampa’s 27 points was scored on offense. I never said their defense didn’t contribute. Of course they did. They held Gannon and the Raiders to 3. Nonetheless, it is Gruden’s job to score, period. If Gruden settles for punts and FGs instead of the touchdowns he did get to make up for that 27 points, the Raiders might be down something like 14-3 instead of 27-3, and Gannon’s not forcing passes. Instead the Raiders are relaxed and taking what’s given to them. But Gruden’s 27 points on offense put the Raiders in panic mode, and Gannon had to force something, playing right into the hands of Monte and that defense that he, Dungy, McKay and co. built. Gruden came through. He’s a good coach…as you said.

• Mistabr0wn

Ask Archie Bunker, or your lover/clone KK.
    _____

# The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 8:51 pm

MB, what’s wrong with being a bigot?

• Raiders for life

#####################

Yep, I’m sure Hue is going to solicit a Kyle Orton type QB who wants to start. The way Al talked about Bruce being injury prone, BG might be gone or be #3. Charlie is a ? and Kyle is probably gone or put on reserve. Hopefully Hue and Al have a plan in place.

• dickv

Marley… That Locket kid has to be all on the Raiders draft board…

Definately will be drafted by the Raiders in the 7th. Wonder if anybody else is looking at him.

Players like him, Darvin Adams and others can be had late. Due to Free angency the Raiders have way too many needs in other areas: specifically O line.

I have a feeling that Al will draft a NT like Powe in 3rd or Kendrick taylor in 2nd to add value/ enhance the investment to the Rolando Mclain pick… sort of like how he drafted DMC, and specifaclly DHB to support the Russell pick.

• Davy Jones

The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 8:11 pm
    Davy Jones Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Dungy should get a big share of the credit for the SB win.

…………

…………

A “big share”? I’m surprised you don’t say he deserves it all. But if not, who is this implied other person who deserves some credit?

No doubt the answer is Bruce Allen, of course. And no one else . . . right?

For the record, I loved Gruden. Sometimes I thought he was too conservative in game situations, but he was a great team motivator and an offensive mind. I see a lot of Gruden in Hue Jackson, in fact.