Report: Raiders reach deal with Seymour

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Wednesday, February 16th, 2011 at 8:16 am in Oakland Raiders.

The Raiders have reached a two-year deal with defensive tackle Richard Seymour which pays him a guaranteed $22.5 million over the next two years, according to Sports Illustrated’s Jim Trotter.

Seymour would receive $15 million over each of the next two years _ approximately the value of his franchise figure times two _ and get a $7.5 million bonus.

(Update: The NFL Network is reporting via Jason LaCanfora it is a “multi-year” deal and does not give bonus or salary figures).

The Pro Bowl defensive tackle has maintained in public he wanted to remain a Raider, and at these numbers, this deal serves as validation. Hard to believe he couldn’t have received more on the open market.

For the Raiders, it’s a terrific deal. Now they can franchise tight end Zach Miller to make sure he doesn’t hit the open market and also don’t commit multiple years for a defensive lineman who is an 11-year veteran and may not have multiple seasons of peak play.

In other news regarding potential free agents, FoxSports.com reports the Raiders have a $3.5 million buyback option on the contract of linebacker Kamerion Wimbley, meaning it is within their power to retain his services. Wimbley’s original contract included a void after this season. According to the report, the Raiders would like to reach a longterm deal with Wimbley once a collective bargaining agreement is reached.

• DMAC

# KoolKell Says:
    February 16th, 2011 at 11:57 am

When I saw Tommy Kelly SPRINTING off the field pumping his fists, I knew Big Rich was the man.
    =======
    LOL
    Nice one Kell.

• bcz24

It doesnt matter if we tagged him as a punter… you are missing the part where the franchise tag says its the average of the top 5 OR 120% of last years salary whichever is greater. He would get 120% of last years salary no matter what!

Look at Peyton Manning. The franchise tag for QB is 16.05 million, Peytons franchise tag is 23.39 million because its 120% of last years salary.

When I saw Tommy Kelly SPRINTING off the field pumping his fists … I knew Dairy Queen was running a special on chili dogs

• J Hill

120% of you last year’s salary, RRS.

I believe BCZ is right about this. He made 14 million last year so his tag would be 120% of that.

• bcz24

RaiderRockstar Says:
    February 16th, 2011 at 11:58 am
    BCZ,

2011 Bailey in the Raiders defensive scheme = Michael Waddell

Print That!
    ***********
    You are entitled to your opinion on him, but you wont say anybody with that type of argument. Just saying man. I didnt watch Champ much this year, but I didnt see him getting burned at all.

***

are you guys suggesting that 2-years $30 million is a BARGAIN?

LOL!

back to the grind.

CYA gents

• DMAC

# RaiderRockstar Says:
    February 16th, 2011 at 12:00 pm

========
    Or he was trying to beat Sanchez to that hot dog he was eating during the game.

• inonewordraider

DMAC Says:
    February 16th, 2011 at 11:00 am
    mpending free agent FS Michael Huff has stated a desire to re-sign with the Raiders.

Great to hear but money talks, hope he’s a man of his word ala Seymour, this guys more important than he gets credit for. Nnamdi took a while to get it, Huff is potential star

Can Champ Bailey longsnap?

• DMAC

Champ is still pretty good, but I rather bring in a

Richard Marshall
    Eric Wright
    J. Joseph
    Carlos Rogers

• HairyBush

bcz24 Says:
    February 16th, 2011 at 11:35 am
    If we pick up Champ it would likely be to replace a departed Michael Huff at FS… he has said he wants to move to FS to prolong his career.
    ——————-
    What better man to help him with the transition than our very own Rod Woodson.

• J Hill

I’m still trying to figure out why we would need to franchise Miller since he is a RFA?

Why not just match any offer he gets from someone else?

• DMAC

I think Huff owes Al one. He got got payed good $$$ and underachieved his for 3 years here.

• DMAC

I think Champ could be a beast at FS!

Free Snapper?

• HairyBush

DMAC Says:
    February 16th, 2011 at 12:08 pm
    ——————-
    It would be nice if it worked that way, I have quite the list of people who underacheived for Al and still got handsome paychecks. Al would be able to fund a new stadium by himself with all the $$ he would be owed.

• DMAC
  • HairyBush

J Hill Says:
    February 16th, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Why not just match any offer he gets from someone else?
    —————–
    Isn’t it still to be determined under the new CBA weather or not Miller would be restricted or unrestricted?

• DMAC

Cromartie=Champ
    —————-
    Champ without hesitation

• SuicideRaider

Bo Schembechler Jackson Says:
    February 16th, 2011 at 10:40 am
    Trade Condo for a frittata of nonsense!
    —————————————–
    Spoken truly like a moron without a clue or an argument.

• bcz24

RaiderRockstar Says:
    are you guys suggesting that 2-years $30 million is a BARGAIN?

LOL!
    *********
    If we franchised him the next 2 years it would be 32 million, and he would be disgruntled, and we wouldnt have that tag to use on other players.

• olinesux

seymour is the man, this dline is gonna bring down the qb hard!

• YoungAmerican

Cromartie would be better than DeAngelo Hall in man coverage, that’s for sure. And at least as good as Stanford Routt. But he’s still allergic to tackling and has attitude problems. Not sure how I’d feel about the Raiders signing him. Lord knows how he’s going to perform after getting a new deal.

He’s definitely not a replacement for Asomugha, that’s for sure.

• YoungAmerican

I’d just be hesitant to give Champ Bailey the kind of deal he’s obviously looking for when the guy is on the wrong side of 32.

• YoungAmerican

With any luck, the Bengals won’t franchise Jonathan Joseph and Al Davis can go get him.

Assuming Nnamdi walks, that is. Which after today is looking pretty likely unless he’s willing to come back for $12-13 million.

• DMAC

Hey YA,
    I know Carlos Rogers has been pretty solid for the Skins for a few years now, but they play a lot of zone. You think he has any good cover skills?

• HairyBush

YoungAmerican Says:
    February 16th, 2011 at 12:29 pm
    ———————-
    2-3 year deal with decent signing bonus and lots of incentives.

• bcz24

J Hill Says:
    February 16th, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Why not just match any offer he gets from someone else?
    *********
    Im still trying to figure out why every move we make is a bad deal in the eyes of these semi-pro’s.

• YoungAmerican

I think the Broncos tried to give Champ a deal where they could cut their ties after next year and not be on the hook for a huge chunk of his salary, and he turned them down. Word is he’s looking for more security than that.

Broncos play a fair amount of zone, too. Not sure how Champ would hold up if the Raiders are still playing in man-to-man 90% of the time next season.

Not sure about Carlos Rogers, don’t know much about him.

• bcz24

YoungAmerican Says:
    February 16th, 2011 at 12:31 pm

**********
    He isnt getting more than that anywhere else. 13 million would be high. Revis is still considered the better QB and he was only able to get 11 mill.

• YoungAmerican

As far as FA CBs, I like Joseph, Marshall, and Wright in that order.

Wright has been inconsistent so far in his career, but if either Routt or Asomugha walk it couldn’t hurt to bring him in on the cheap, especially if the Raiders have no better options in the draft.

• DMAC

Grimes is a FA and is very good in man coverage, but I know the Falcons won’t let him walk.

• http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ KoolKell

Bcz24 Says:
    February 16th, 2011 at 12:33 pm

—————————-
    I take it, you haven’t followed the Raiders very long?

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

Hmmmmmmm. Are we looking at a four man front with man to man as our base, mixed in with wimbly & scott as elephants again? i think the answer is yes. I also think we will use some zone blitz in oreder to change up and disguise our coverages. However Im curious to know if we will zone blitz from our four man line. Moss would be the perfcet guy to marry these concepts.

• YoungAmerican

Hopefully the Bengals waste their franchise tag on Benson and Joseph hits the open market.

• http://build-a-bully 909RaiderLifer

Great news to have Big Rich locked up…

Would be nice to see him seperate that punk ass Brady from his spleen, when we play the Cheatriots next season….(;

• bcz24

I take it, you haven’t followed the Raiders very long?
    *********
    I have followed them plenty. Doesn’t mean I take past moves to mean that all future will fail. Thats just stupid. Thats like saying my lightbulb blew so I will never use one again.

• RaiderRetribution

Now we can franchise tag Mr. Condo!

What is the tag rate for long snappers anyway?

Read my earlier posts, I called it Mr. Seymour for around $30 million/$21 guaranteed!

• http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ KoolKell

Bcz24 Says:
    February 16th, 2011 at 12:47 pm

I take it, you haven’t followed the Raiders very long?
    *********
    ————————————
    Know it all punk, with faulty logic.

• bcz24

RaiderRetribution Says:
    February 16th, 2011 at 12:49 pm
    Now we can franchise tag Mr. Condo!

What is the tag rate for long snappers anyway?
    **********
    If we were to do something as astronomically stupid as franchising Condo, he would get the Linebacker tag at $9.6 million

• http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ KoolKell

Bcz24 Says:
    February 16th, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Thats like saying my lightbulb blew so I will never use one again.
    —————————-
    How about replacing a burnt out light bulb, genius?

• bcz24

KoolKell Says:
    February 16th, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Know it all punk, with faulty logic.
    *********
    Prove me wrong loser. Why dont you GFY.

• http://blackhillsphoto.com/sturgis-weddings/black-hills-weddings.jpg Dakota

163.J Hill Says:
    February 16th, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Why not just match any offer he gets from someone else?

+++++++++++++

I don’t know what they will call it under the new CBA, but I damn well know players are not going to be free agents after only 4 years. So I think Jhill is right.

Although….if there is some sort of rookie wage cap, then I think the teams might allow free agency after only 4 years as a carrot to get that deal done. 4 years would give the team an idea if the player is a bust or a decent player. But I doubt it would be retroactive to players who have already bebefited from the prior rookie wage system like Miller.

• J Hill

——————————————————

Al didn’t sign some autograph’s back in the day, so there’s still some sour grapes.

• http://blackhillsphoto.com/sturgis-weddings/black-hills-weddings.jpg Dakota

bebefited….I think I just made up a new word!

Meant benefited.

• bcz24

KoolKell Says:
    February 16th, 2011 at 12:52 pm
    Bcz24 Says:
    February 16th, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Thats like saying my lightbulb blew so I will never use one again.
    —————————-
    How about replacing a burnt out light bulb, genius?
    **********
    It was an analogy to show you the stupidity of saying that because the Raiders have sucked in the past they can not possibly improve. You have the IQ of a 7 year old if you think I meant that literally.

• http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ KoolKell

Look up the word analogy, ok?

• HairyBush

bebefited
    —————-
    tried looking up this word, having trouble comprehending lol