Jackson quick hits

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Thursday, February 24th, 2011 at 10:53 am in Oakland Raiders.

Some highlights as Raiders coach Hue Jackson made the rounds with the media at the NFL scouting combine:

– Jackson could not confirm a two-year contract extension as reported by the NFL Network for cornerback Stanford Routt, but said it was his understanding a deal was close. He expressed confidence that Routt could handle the role as the No. 1 cornerback in the event Nnamdi Asomugha does not return.

The reported numbers on Routt are even more stunning than his first- and third-round tender last year _ $20 million guaranteed, $31.5 million total.

Jackson would not rule out Asomugha returning, but conceded it was possible he wouldn’t.

– No word yet on the designation of a franchise player, which could go to Zach Miller if the Raiders haven’t reached a deal before today’s deadline (I believe it’s 4 p.m. Eastern. Jackson said the Raiders would “probably” have a franchise player.

UPDATE: The Raiders have reportedly franchised (according to Adam Caplan of FoxSports.com) outside linebacker Kamerion Wimbley, whose $3.5 million buyback exeeded a 30 percent in terms of a pay raise _ too high for an existing contract. So instead of salary plus the buyback which would have paid Wimbley around $4.1 million, he’s due the franchise number of approximately $10.1 million.

Oakland is attempting to reach a longterm deal with Wimbley and franchising him is a way to stop him from hitting the open market in the event of a collective bargaining agreement.– The Raiders have a defensive coordinator.

“Me,” Jackson said.

He said the Raiders were still evaluating people outside the organization and the hire could also come within. Chuck Bresnahan is still listed as a “defensive coach” with no specific designation.

Whoever the coordinator is, Jackson said the Raiders would remain primarily a 4-3 team but be multiple in scope, meaning whoever the coordiantor is will come into a situation where scheme and philosophy is pretty much in place.

Jackson said he wasn’t sure if there would be a hire to coach quarterbacks, given the amount of time he and offensive coordinator Al Saunders will spend with the position. He said too many voices can sometime dilute a message.

More to come later . . .

• OG-RAIDERRR

Anything that taste like Kush is good with me ! :)

• socalraider2408

Lets hope so YoungAmerican. We gotta re-sign Huff and Nnamdi. Keeping the core group of players together is a must

• Just Fire Baby

Debo,

Curious to what your take is on Hue Jackson saying his number one attribute that he looks for in his QB is their “ability to lead men.”

Since you think I am into that rah-rah stuff to much, it seems Hue would fall under your same rules.

• OG-RAIDERRR

Routt = P.Buchanon 2.0

• YoungAmerican

It’s a shame that the buyback option didn’t work out. Would have gotten the Raiders a quality player on the cheap.

He might be a liability in coverage, but the vast majority of linebackers are. Linebackers generally don’t get paid/drafted to cover. Wimbley’s pros far outweigh his cons, in my opinion.

• socalraider2408

Didnt Routt have the lowest completion% against in the NFL???

• YoungAmerican

Nnamdi is almost certainly gone. I don’t think Al would have paid Routt $10 million if he still intended on paying Nnamdi. I could be wrong, though.

Huff seems intent on hitting the open market. Routt may very well be the only starting Raiders DB back next season.

• bcz24

My buddy grew some blueberry and I wasnt that impressed. Who knows if it was actually blueberry though, by the time our clones reach NY who knows what is what ya know. I really want to try Pineapple Express now though. Seth Rogan said since the movie someone started calling there green that and its really good.

• Just Fire Baby

Since Al set the top of the market for Pro Bowl corners (Nnamdi), it’s only fitting for him to form the top of market for a #2 corner.

socalraider2408 Says:
    February 24th, 2011 at 12:08 pm
    Didnt Routt have the lowest completion% against in the NFL???
    *********
    He and Nnamdi tied for 3rd. Revis was 1 and the cat from Buffalo whos name escapes me was #2

• bcz24

See what happens, Hue and the coaches left Oakland for the combine, and Al and his cronies went nuts on another Broakland spending spree…. WTF.

• OG-RAIDERRR

bcz24 Says:
    February 24th, 2011 at 12:09 pm

———————
    Had some OG blueberry back in the day . Before the purps hit the market big. It tasted really good. The blueberry these days seem little weak in punch though .

• bcz24

At the rate we are going we are going to have a $90 million dollar starting defense!

• YoungAmerican

# bcz24 Says:
    February 24th, 2011 at 12:09 pm

————

My buddy grew some at his op out in CO. It was crazy potent.

My favorite, though, was this freak of a plant he grew that WE THINK was Juicy Fruit. We’re not exactly sure what it was, but it was by far the best stuff I’ve ever had. Potent, but a VERY clear high. You could go around doing work or your daily chores perfectly normally, and still be CRAZY high. I was impressed.

• El Tato

Asomugha is gone, you dont give 30 millions to your CB2 if you really want to resign your CB1.

I like Routt, I think he is highly underrated, good to keep him along with Chris Johnson, that gives us one problem less to worry, still I would like to see us sign or draft a CB.

• Just Fire Baby

Al sure seems to be making more moves than just about any other owner right now. I wonder how they all feel, now that Al is throwing a lot of money at his own players 2 weeks before the lockout.

Hiring coaches, extending it’s own FA to longer deals. It could work out in spades for Al with this whole CBA deal, and he is seizing the opportunity of catching his opponents napping.

Long live Al

• http://None The Real MaddcnRaider

Og faderrr u know nothing about purp or blueberry. Stick to your kool cigerettes puto

• http://raiders.com A.B. Paine III

Bye Nnamdi, it was a pleasure knowing you. Hopefully Al can improve on the o-line with that money.

p.s. Bauce is still a moron

• El Tato

Routt is 3rd in the NFL in percentage per completion, after #1 Revis and #2 McGee, Asomugha is 4th in the NFL.

• YoungAmerican

Maybe Curtis Brown will still be there in the 3rd round.

Davon House in the 4th or 5th round might not be a bad deal.

Without Nnamdi, and with Woodson as the CBs coach, the Raiders need to bring along some youth at the position. Hopefully Walter McFadden and Jeremy Ware will make some measurable progress in their second seasons as well.

• http://None The Real MaddcnRaider

Go play madden 98 on ur playstation 1 el tita!!! Tryin to be all in the mix like you know whats goin on… Psssshhh

• DMAC

# YoungAmerican Says:
    February 24th, 2011 at 12:14 pm

# bcz24 Says:
    February 24th, 2011 at 12:09 pm

————

My buddy grew some at his op out in CO. It was crazy potent.

=========
    YA,
    Thats exactly what I need. Something that gets me high, but I can still function correctly. Thats why I only get blunted on the weekends at home. This schit out here in Northern Cali is dope.

• OG-RAIDERRR

mr = GIANT KUNT

**********
    Theres no way spending that kind of cash on free agents is going to work out in our favor…

• Just Fire Baby

Routt played very-well last year and definately earned an exension.

But he got paid for his one good year out of the 5. No non Pro Bowl DB should get this type of money.

But I think Al knows something we all don’t.

• bcz24

But I think Al knows something we all don’t.
    ********
    Apparently JFB has found some new strain of happy smoke that none of has ever heard of cuz he is in the stratosphere today! LOL

The Real MaddcnRaider Says:
    February 24th, 2011 at 12:18 pm
    ****************
    El Tato was a little late, but he was right. What are you talkin about?

• http://None The Real MaddcnRaider

Og= menthol 100′s

• El Tato

real maddenfraud, I dont have a playstation, I just go out and punch guys like you in the face

El Tato Says:
    February 24th, 2011 at 12:17 pm
    *************
    Actually Routt and Nnamdi tied for 3rd at 39.4% completions against. Oddly enough CJ37 was #6 in the NFL as well.

• DMAC

Later peoples!
    Go A’s!
    Go Dubs!
    Go Cal Bears!
    Go Raiders!

• YoungAmerican

I think we can assume that Huff and Gallery are as good as gone. Miller and Bush will be back.

Wonder if Al is looking hard at Sands and Gilchrest in the draft, along with Wisniewski.

Still wouldn’t mind seeing Jarrad Page brought in to compete with Stevie Brown for the FS spot. Page has been a pretty solid playmaker in this league. Even in his two seasons as a back-up, he still came up with a few INTs.

• OG-RAIDERRR

TOP 3 DUCHE BAGS IN THIS YEARS BLOG DRAFT

1. MR
    2 BBBBBB1TCH A$$ BAUCE
    3. MR

;)

Outro

• Just Fire Baby

The only thing I’m high on right now is my Whopper Value Meal in front of me.

• http://None The Real MaddcnRaider

Whoa bcz24, i just call it like it is. You cheerleading on the sidelines or what?

He was right stupid.

Just Fire Baby Says:
    February 24th, 2011 at 12:26 pm
    The only thing I’m high on right now is my Whopper Value Meal in front of me.
    *********
    LOL… thats not high. Thats the cholesterol limiting the oxygen to your brain. Similar feeling.

Man I miss Whoppers.

• http://None The Real MaddcnRaider

Top 3 phillip river fanboys in this years fanboy draft hosted by ryan leaf:

1.el tita
    2.og
    3.bcz24

• Just Fire Baby

Can Jarrad Page cover??

That’s what Huff was good at. He had the burn job in the Jax game, but he has been solid in coverage for years, and he has been increasing his turnover production each year.

I think Huff will get a starting job and some decent FA money if he leaves, and we will no doubt be worse off from it, AT LEAST for a year or two until another S gets acclimated to the “System”.

• http://None The Real MaddcnRaider

#4 is also og because he loves to come back for 2nds

Wow. That was witty…

• http://None The Real MaddcnRaider

Outro

• DKnight007

128.Macho Man Randy Savage Says:
    February 24th, 2011 at 10:21 am
    The Oakland Raiders have agreed to terms on a three-year contract extension with cornerback Stanford Routt, a source with knowledge of the situation said Thursday.

Routt will earn a maximum of $31.5 million over his, including $20 million over the first two years, according to league sources.

The deal places him in the upper echelon of cornerbacks (Champ Bailey’s new contract averages roughly $11 million per season, for instance). Securing Routt at this rate could further lessen Oakland’s ability to give Asomugha the type of top-of-the-market deal he will command.

Routt had 55 tackles and made two interceptions, returning one for a touchdown in 2010.

^^^^^^^^
    Wow….IF this is true. This is considered the 2nd STUPID move of the offseason so far.

Signing an underachiever like Routt for this much money……is a slap in the face of Nnamdi IMO.

The first stuid move was getting rid of Marshall as D-Coord, and winding up downgrading to Chuck B??

Jesus C***st….what a dumb move!

Arrrggghhhhh!

• El Tato

MR thinks he is a wild crazy man who owns all of us, but he probably is a little boy (or girl) who needs parental permission to use internet and sleeps with his spongeboob felt

**********
    If we lose Huff, OJ Otagwe would be a good replacement. 44 turnovers in the last 5 years. We could really use that kind of production on the turnover front.

• DKnight007

63.bcz24 Says:
    February 24th, 2011 at 12:12 pm

^^^^^^^
    Yeah and with a crappy D-Coordinator like Chuck B running it. Sheesh

Ugh!

******
    Your behind today buddy… Hue Jackson named himself DC

• YoungAmerican

# Just Fire Baby Says:
    February 24th, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Can Jarrad Page cover??

—————

Agreed.

Page has at least average cover skills, although he may not be as versatile as Huff was.

I’d like to see Huff back, but if he tests the FA market I think he’ll have his pick of teams… most notably the Cowboys or Texans.

Don’t see a lot of guys who could be big-time single-deep safeties in this draft. Sands is interesting because of his size and ability to tackle and cover, but can he be the last line of defense? Gilchrest has decent measurables, but it’s the same issue with him.

I think, at least for this season, the Raiders might be better off bringing in a vet playmaker like Page to compete with Stevie Brown, who showed the potential to be a special player. If neither of them are the answer, the Raiders could look at FS in the 2012 draft.

• YoungAmerican