Tender for Satele offers protection

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Monday, March 7th, 2011 at 2:47 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Add center Samson Satele to the list of players who receive contract tenders form the Raiders in advance of last Thursday’s deadline.

Satele’s tender level was not available, and like Michael Bush and Zach Miller, he’ll be eligible for the open market if four-year players are granted unrestricted free agency in a new collective bargaining agreement.

In his second year with the Raiders, Satele played much better as coach Hue Jackson encorporated gap and power blocking into what was an exclusively zone system under Tom Cable. Acquired from Miami after the Dolphins signed Jake Grove to a free agent contract, Satele found himself behind Chris Morris as he originally struggled in 2009 with the zone system.

In 2010, with the Raiders, Satele was particularly strong as a second-level blocker on some of Darren McFadden’s biggest runs as the Raiders went from 21st in rushing to second.

Satele is currently the only center on the roster and the Raiders could be looking at the position during the draft.

The obvious speculation falls upon Penn State’s Stefan Wisniewski, nephew of former Raiders guard and assistant line coach Steve Wisniewski. The combine produced one Raiders-type workout warrior in Ryan Bartholomew of Syracuse, who led all centers with a 4.93 time in the 40-yard dash at 6-foot-1, 302 pounds and had the most reps in the bench press with 34. Bartholomew is rated as a seventh round or undrafted free agent prospect by NFLDraftscout.com.

In other Raiders-related news:

– Cornerback Stanford Routt talks about his contract extension and says the Raiders were “three or four plays away from being 11-5 in this Q&A with the National Football Post.

– Larry Kennan, executive director of the NFL coaches association, told CSN-Bay Area’s Matt Maiocco that Raiders assistant coaches would receive a 33 percent reduction in pay if a work stoppage goes 90 days and would lose 50 percent of their salary after six months.

– I’ve long thought building new stadiums in the Bay Area would be a difficult proposition because the Giants set the bar impossibly high with privately financed, AT&T Park, and it sounds as if Gov. Jerry Brown is thinking the same thing in a Matier and Ross report in the Chronicle.

“Private enterprise should be able to survive on its own, as witnessed at Pac Bell (AT&T) Park,” Brown said.

As for the Raiders and 49ers, Brown suggested playing games at soon-to-be-renovated Memorial Stadium and the remodeled stadium at Stanford.

Guessing that isn’t going to be a serious consideration for Al Davis.

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3ng4yHw2xk&feature=PlayList&p=E565EF0DE2F587FA&playnext= Raider75

Its OFFICIAL – Chuck Bresnahan named DC

Head Coach Hue Jackson, “I am impressed with [Chuck Bresnahan's] passion, attention to detail and energy.”

Coach Jackson cont’d, “The fact that I’ve had the chance to be in defensive meetings with Chuck and watch him lead the defensive staff made it an easy decision to name him our defensive coordinator,”

• YoungAmerican

# Raider75 Says:
    March 7th, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Its OFFICIAL – Chuck Bresnahan named DC

————–

Shocking stuff right there.

• http://www.hotmail.com The Dirtee Raccoon

Frank Middleton

• http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo249/the408RAIDER/749px-I-420svg.png 408RAIDER

Chuck Bresnahan Really?

# 408RAIDER Says:
    March 7th, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Chuck Bresnahan Really?
    ….

Don’t think anyone else wanted it.

• DKnight007

52.Raider75 Says:
    March 7th, 2011 at 5:17 pm

^^^^^^^^
    Yep…the inevitable happened. Ugh

Not a very inspiring choice. Just a lackey old man Al retread, that was probably forced upon Hue.

Looooouuuuuuusy!

• http://www.hotmail.com The Dirtee Raccoon

Where is Scott Martin@

• inonewordraider

Last time Chuck was DC we were a playoff team, of course Jason Campbell is no Rich Gannon and DHB/Murphy are not quite Jerry Rice/Tim Brown

• raidertalk

I can remember the Bresnahan prevent defense…

• DKnight007

The 3rd mistake move this offseason.

1. Not signing Nnamdi
    2. Over paying Routt
    3. Hiring Chuck B as DC

Terrible.

• DKnight007

59.inonewordraider Says:
    March 7th, 2011 at 5:32 pm

^^^^^^
    Don’t bring up the playoff team stuff when Chuck B was here.

The offense was scoring points right and left.

• RaiderDuck

Yo, Jerry, get off thy butt already. Bresnahan’s the new DC and I have to find out on Twitter, of all places????

I was holding out hope for Moss..

• J Hill

The guy Hue wanted to be the DC wasn’t allowed to come here by the Jets. Hue didn’t want Perry or Moss. Breshnahan has more DC experience than either of those guys and worked with Hue in Cincy before.

Most people knew this was the cade weeks ago. In fact, to bring in a different DC at this time, with all the assts in place and game planning that’s been done would have been the “terrible” move.

• YoungAmerican

There was no guarantee Moss or Perry would be any more successful than Bres. Both of them are 3-4 guys and there was never any chance that the Raiders were going to play anything but their 4-3 defense with a single high safety.

I have a feeling that for the next few years, whoever the head coach is will be hinting that the Raiders are going to show more 3-4 looks. Just like for the past few years, the coaching staff hinted they were going to move Nnamdi around more. Of course, it never materialized, and neither will the 3-4 looks.

• Chris in NY

Good move keeping Satele around. He was real solid this season and if he performs like that again I don’t think we need anything other than a legit backup at that position.

It’ll be interesting to see if Al sticks with Bruce Campbell at guard or if that was Cable’s move and Al/Hue kick him back out to tackle. Guessing the o-line will look something like:
    LT – Veldheer
    LG – Loper
    C – Satele
    RG – Campbell
    RT – Walker/Henderson

Is Carlisle around still, or is he a free agent?

• YoungAmerican

Guessing the o-line will look something like:
    LT – Veldheer
    LG – Loper
    C – Satele
    RG – Campbell
    RT – Walker/Henderson

———-

Jesus, I hope not. But I wouldn’t be completely surprised.

• Pingback: Samson Satele Tendered « Just Blog Baby | An Oakland Raiders Blog

• Chris in NY

Regarding yesterday’s post, I know he’s injury prone, but we’ve gotta bring Grads back. The only sense I see in a move like that is if we’re going to make a big move at QB, such as signing Vince Young. But even then, it would seem that Grads would be a better backup option than Campbell.

• CJ Legend 34

I know Nnamdi cost a alot of cah but ask yourself if you are mainly playing Man to man defense and you have a player that cann take away half the field. Why would you not throw the money at him?

To think about Routt and Johnson out on that island the whole season makes me ill. I just don’t see teams fearing Routt like Namdi. If not Nnamdi then we better go out and get a decent corner or we are in trouble with what we have.

• J Hill

Satele being tendered makes the draft a bit more clear. C is out of the question now, IMO. Campbell and Veldheer = a lot of youth on the Oline. Should we really add a rookie 2nd rd pick to that mix? I’m not so sure we’re going to do that.

• CJ Legend 34

I agree. If it were me I would keep Grads as the back up, he know s the system and he will not kill you as a back up. He is about a reliable back up as Charlie Batch is to the Stealers even though Charlie has one more games. He is not Big Ben but he won’t kill you. He wins! Plus Young is a freakin head case.
    ——————————————————
    Chris in NY Says:
    March 7th, 2011 at 5:49 pm

• YoungAmerican

I don’t think any position is out of question in the draft.

• CJ Legend 34

J Hill if not a rookie on the oline where else do you think our biggest need is? Corner?
    ——————————————-
    J Hill Says:
    March 7th, 2011 at 5:51 pm

• J Hill

Anyone concerned about our CB play next year should be rooting for anything that will increase our pressure on the QB.

We need Kam Wimbley to develop a counter move to his shoulder dip. We need the DC to dial up a few more blitzes using the OLBs. We need Trevir Scott to regain his pass rush prowess.

Those things happen and I see our corners being just fine.

• CJ Legend 34

Does anyone think we should sign Chad Johnson if he is available? Would he help or hurt since Hue has worked with him in the past? I am not a Chad fan but he can make some big move the chain catches.

• inonewordraider

We need a Vet wr and Huff back, I like Brown but wouldn’t want to see him start

• CJ Legend 34

Jerry wake up! The link is broken on the new post.

• freeshot350

God i feel so bad for those of you living in CA. what Jerry Brown meant to say was that if public funding is used for building a new stadium then there would be less money to give to already overpaid public employees. Does he not realize the amount of tourism money these 2 cities are missing out on because of their poor quality stadiums? not to mention they will never host a superbowl in either stadium i love the Raiders but god damn i hate california

• Pingback: Free Offer