Gallery takes the high road

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Wednesday, March 9th, 2011 at 7:50 am in Oakland Raiders.

Robert Gallery spoke fondly of his time with the Raiders and declined to address the club’s unusual tactic of publicly discussing his contract issue.

At the Ed Block Courage Award dinner in Baltimore, Aaron Wilson of the National Football Post caught with Gallery, who had no reaction to the club breaking its long-held policy of not discussing contract matters in regard to his departure.

“What was mutually agreed upon were his numbers he wanted, and his agent wanted, were way out of line,” Herrera said. “He was asking for too much money. “He wanted $8 million; we were at $2.5 million. It was just way out of line with what we thought was reasonable.”

Said Gallery: “My parents always told me to be professional, be classy and tell the truth,” Gallery said. “What he chose to say is his business, and I really don’t have any comment on what he said. I’ve always told the truth.”

Gallery emphasized he “loved playing for Mr. Davis” but that “they’re moving in a different direction.”

Before last Thursday’s deadline, the Raiders signed Daniel Loper to a two-year contract which pays him $1.9 million this year. Loper started four games Gallery missed due to injury in 2010. He could end up being a starter unless the Raiders either land a starter in the draft. Bruce Campbell, a fourth-round pick a year ago who played exclusively at right guard, will be given every opportunity to win a starting job in training camp, pending resolution of a collective bargaining agreement.

• LA to TheBay

Any change needs to have the team’s full commitment….if we change to a 3-4 you can’t do it half way like we tried under Ryan. You have to make the commitment to give it 2-3 years, to find the right coaches and players and to allow the team time to learn the system.

———————

I agree and think we have maybe the personel to run the 3-4 except for the key piece: NT.

I would stick with the 4-3, as the D Line is suited for it and we would really only be a WLB away, despite improved play from Groves down the stretch.

We can’t forget that Wimbley and Groves didn’t do well in a 3-4 and the LBs in general are unproven.

But, in an effort to diversify, I wouldn’t be surprised if our draft priorities actually were LB and NT, followed by O Line and secondary.

• priesttj

NNmadi if you go back to when we had the worst offenses and yoiu guys were killing Rob Ryan for his defenses I was one of a very small group of Ryan supporters because I knew the real reason was the defense had no support we said it a thousand times you guys just wouldn’t listen. Just like NOW!!

• confucius400

The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    March 9th, 2011 at 3:48 pm
    I don’t see where Al Davis wants to win anymore. I see where he’s most focused on control, giving off the image that he’s in control of his team
    …………………time for some new eyeglasses….

• Nnamdi21

202. Great post LA.

And I’m outy!

Off to dinner with friends!~

PEACE!

• Bauce Madness

Bauce off off da clear off off da clear

• Nnamdi21

203. PROVE I was a Rob Ryan basher. I wasn’t one constantly calling for Ryan’s head.

• http://www.aldavissucks.blogspot.com The Real MaddenRaider

Why would Mark Davis “have” to sell the team because of the estate tax? That makes no sense.

• priesttj

Hell Rob Ryan’s defense would hold teams to 14 points and lose on ONE FREAKIN PLAY!! and you ALLL would blast him for running a prevent which wasn’t a PREVENT it was a ZONE.

• http://www.actionext.com/playlist_57486.html La Milicia Negra

see ya Nnamdi21!

• http://www.actionext.com/playlist_57486.html La Milicia Negra

BHP..

you want Rob Ryan back?

• LA to TheBay

I don’t disagree with Al’s narcissim at all. I just think that the desire to win is still there, otherwise he wouldn’t be constantly changing things around.

He goes through coaches looking for the right one, he drafts a QB #1 overall, he overspent for players he thought would contribute.

Al still has this ‘potential’ han up. He’s always looking for the diamond in the rough and the reclamation project.

Al is very set in his ways but I believe the desire to win is always there.

All the other stuff, antagonizing other owners, litigation, throwing ex-coaches and (what he views as) disloyal ex-players is just Al.

• LA to TheBay

hang-up*

• Bauce Madness

Ok MR….AL DAVIS IS TRYING TO LOSE……WHY WOULD YOU STICK AROUND AND TALK ALL DAY ON BEHALF OF LOSERS?

• http://www.aldavissucks.blogspot.com The Real MaddenRaider

Spending money alone does not prove a sports owner “wants to win”. That is the dumbest, short sighted conclusion anyone could draw. Look at Al’s background. He’s OBSESSED with military strategy and being some sort of general-like figure. This is proven. He’s said publicly that he admires Hitler’s means of taking over Europe (noting he disagreed with his intent). Could an owner obsessed with power, control, and winning a war that really doesn’t even exist spend boat loads of money to feed such delusions of grandeur? I say yes. I don’t think Al’s generous salaries to whack players does anything to prove he wants to win. His supporters have even said themselves that Al loves to do these kinds of things just to rattle the other owners. He’s not trying to win. He’s trying to stay in the spotlight. Without these little gimmicks, the Raiders are just a lousy NFL team, and Al drifts away into a sea of irrelevancy.

• Bauce Madness

Thats just like beingg aat a job u know is purposely trying to dk oveer its employers….what sensee does it make to staty around? MR the door is open, just walk away

• priesttj

Rob Ryan was always a favorite of mine and several players like Nnamdi and many others he jsut had NO HELP!!

• LA to TheBay

Al still prides himself on being able to identify an athlete anywhere, anytime.

He’s hit on as many as he’s missed, although the hit:miss ratio isn’t as good lately.

We can’t forget that Al controls the draft (nothing to suggest otherwise) and he pulled off one hell of a good one in 2010.

Rated as an A, along with Seattle, and ours proved to be much better – at least in year one.

• Bauce Madness

Lol MR WELL I CAN TELL U WHEN AN OWNER IS CHEAP AND WONT PAY THEY SURELY WILL LOSE

• http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ KoolKell

Davis Priorities:

1. Narcissism
    2. Winning.

• http://www.aldavissucks.blogspot.com The Real MaddenRaider

LA to the Bay, you clearly know nothing about football if you think the Raiders have seriously ran a zone defense at any point since the ’70s. Using occasional zone coverages is not the same thing as implementing a base zone defense.

• confucius400

how about al has just win baby tattooed on his a$$,maybe that means he wants too win!!!

• ENGLANDRAIDER

193.La Milicia Negra Says:
    March 9th, 2011 at 3:44 pm
    # La Milicia Negra Says:
    March 9th, 2011 at 3:43 pm

#

# ENGLANDRAIDER Says:
    March 9th, 2011 at 3:24 pm

LMN:

Saw your question about the Flashman books by G.M. Fraser.
    They’re kind of interesting what with him being the bully from Tom Jones schooldays.
    ________________________________________________________

exactly! thats why I asked you brits..

BTW, its ‘Tom Browns School days’ I assumed most brits read those in school as part of the syllabus..

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Lol.
    Assumptions are often presumptious-although I did read it.

I’d rather read an Elmore Leonard book.

• LA to TheBay

I see your point MR, that he spends to stay in the spotlight and stay relevant, but you’re discounting his obsession with talent evaluation.

I think he spends to reward loyalty, along with stirring the pot and he also will try to incubate potential by throwing money at guys and reaching in the draft for unproven prospects.

Some of these guys prove that his method still works, like Nnamdi (who nobody predicted to be the NFL’s best shutdown corner) and, IMO, Mike Mitchell – another Al Davis draft reach, apparently in danger of being cut, only to show very promising growth.

• LA to TheBay

new post

• http://www.aldavissucks.blogspot.com The Real MaddenRaider

Brien, why are you here all day?

• ENGLANDRAIDER

The truth about Rob Ryan is that we don’t actually know how good he is despite the fact that he coached here.

As I understand it, Ryan would have been welcomed back with Marshall leaving but chose to go to Dallas where Huff will shortly follow him.

When Ryan was here he was forced to follow the Al Davis defence of 4-3, man-on-man and NO FUK’N blitzing!

Now. he’s a 3-4 coach.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

153.KoolKell Says:
    March 9th, 2011 at 3:15 pm
    I think Gallery has had it with the constant Head Coach & Offensive Line Coach changes. Too classy to say it out loud.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Absolutely AMEN!

• djohnnyg

I’m not happy with some of the moves Al is making now. Attributing any value to a guy like Hiram freaking Eugene, and thinking “man we gotta keep THIS guy”, is ridiculous.

Seriously, watch some tape of this guy and tell me with a straight face that he belongs on a team that claims to be poised for a playoff run.

When I think Hiram Eugene, I think of that play when McGahee absolutely clowned his stupid azz on an 80 yd. touchdown run. That was one of the most humiliating, embarrassing displays of “defense” I have ever seen.

I know u can’t judge a player on one single play, but in Eugenes’ case it epitonmizes what he brings to the table.

Hiram freaking Eugene? Yeah, we’re ready for Pittsburgh now.